• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat - LawBreakers in an oversaturated market

Mahonay

Banned
This is NeoGAF, what did you get expect. People get super offended at any kind of a racist joke and then they begin their crusade to destroy your other work. ;)
6ms7snp.jpg

;)

This is so on point, the shit Cliff B says is down right stupid at times.

Edit: Thread got derailed again by something completely unrelated to this particular video, good job NeoGAF. I am sure you will do the same for every future CrowbCat video, cause you are all great people with heart of a saint.

Staf

This is NeoGAF, what did you get expect. People get super offended at any kind of a racist joke and then they begin their crusade to destroy your other work. ;)

They should be offended by that. I just wish they or the mods would contain that discussion to another thread, not one that should be about the video and Lawbreakers.

Budi

Now onto the real topic:

Cliffy is an asshole. That has nothing to with LB because it is a legitimately great game, that's incredibly unappealing to the masses because we already have multiple class based Team Arena shooters. I mean his comments certainly don't help. Awfully childlike of him to attack Xbox fans and other critics. Too bad it wasn't F2P, that might have been the saving grace. There are some neat ideas in it.
Has he attacked Xbox fans? I'm pretty sure it's the other way around because this game wasn't released on the platform. He got abuse about it on Twitter, calling these people "salty" is a mild way to describe gamers acting like assholes. And I mean, he seems even to be pretty good sport about it, calling it passion. I couldn't handle it so well personally if I got called all kind of nasty names by just creating a game and trying to keep company afloat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptyL1E5CHdw&feature=youtu.be&t=518 But if there's more to this where he is attacking Xbox fans (and other critics?) please let me know.

This community's continued response to Crowbcat is absolutely hilarious.

To those still crying about his "racism" - wear a helmet. Life is so much harder than a three second sound-byte placed within a comedic context. His immediate white supremacist label demonstrates both the ridiculous sensitivity and irrationality upon which many of you exist. Seriously. Grow up and let it go. He's not any more racist than any of you claiming him to be.

As for the video, spot on. Cliffy B shot himself in the foot the moment he took such an aggressive stance against the "anime bullshit" of Overwatch. It'll need to go F2P in the near future if it looks to recoup most of the install base it already lost.
Never called it bullshit, calling him to be "agressively against it" isn't really that accurate either. They just didn't go to that very colorful, bright and cartoony look with their game. And that look isn't what Cliffy himself prefers. At no point he has said style like that to be awful, terrible, unappealing or people shouldn't like it. There are people who look down to every Nintendo game because of how they look and think that those are for kids only. I highly doubt Cliff thinks like this.

I didn't laugh. I thought it was fucking pathetic. I absolutely fucking HATE the fact that every thing even referencing african history on the internet is spammed by these 4chan idiots. People think it's just a harmless joke but it's just another way for people to mock black people on the internet. You can't even look up game reviews or game trailers without encountering this garbage. Imagine if everytime your history was referenced it was immediately mocked by hundreds of idiot white kids behind a keyboard.

It's absolutely a racist meme and it shouldn't surprise anyone since Crowbcat's entire thing is pandering to 4chan.
That's absolutely pathetic. Racist pricks.

There is no question that "we wuz kangs" is a racist meme. Whether you find it funny or not.

IceMarker

Seems like Crowbcat was trying to point out the tragedy of the timing of the release of Lawbreakers more anything else, then again, CliffyB tried a little too hard to make it seem like his marketing, etc. was going to be radically different than any other FPS on the market, even before Overwatch released, and the video rightfully shines a light on it.

Lawbreakers seems like one of those things that sound cool in your head and on paper, but if you don't get the execution right, well... this video gets made.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: Thread got derailed again by something completely unrelated to this particular video, good job NeoGAF. I am sure you will do the same for every future CrowbCat video, cause you are all great people with heart of a saint.

Yeah, fucking hive mind around this place, calling out the unambiguous use of a horrible racist meme and then not just forgetting it happened?! WTF Gaf?! Bet you've all dipped your toe in some casual racism from time to time. We all do it. Nobody's perfect FFS!!!

Yeah, fucking hive mind around this place, calling out the unambiguous use of a horrible racist meme and then not just forgetting it happened?! WTF Gaf?! Bet you've all dipped your toe in some casual racism from time to time. We all do it. Nobody's perfect FFS!!!

I understand where you are coming from, but calling CrowbCat a racist whenever a new thread pops up isn't helping anyone.

Just unsubscribe and don't watch, there's no point in shitting up the discussion about a video that's completely unrelated to the joke. You are literally doing nothing besides making yourself angry.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I understand where you are coming from, but calling CrowbCat a racist in every new thread isn't helping anyone.

Just unsubscribe and don't watch, there's no point in shitting up the discussion about a video that's completely unrelated to the joke.

There is a point. Educating people who may not know what happened could definitely be helpful.

No one other than Randy Pitchford knows how to make a true ass of themselves than CliffyB. He really should just shut the fuck up , hire some PR to speak for him and focus on the development.

The saddest part is Lawbreakers is a dope game. It's fun and fast and is actually different from Overwatch in important ways. But nope Cliffy is running around saying one dumb ass thing after another and seems to think Lawbreakers being associated heavily with Overwatch won't be a huge issue. How could he see what happened with Battleborn and not see how Lawbreakers could fall into the same trap? It's just truly mind boggling...

Budi

I understand where you are coming from, but calling CrowbCat a racist whenever a new thread pops up isn't helping anyone.

Just unsubscribe and don't watch, there's no point in shitting up the discussion about a video that's completely unrelated to the joke. You are literally doing nothing besides making yourself angry.
It was quickly established that he used a racist meme earlier, I think that's okay. It informs people and they can look it up and make up their own mind. But people started to argue "nah it's not racist" that's why the discussion is still going. If someone is fine with the usage of such language then by all means subscribe and watch the content. Doesn't mean you are being racist if you interpret it differently in this context and are giving it a pass. So I agree that the derailing is unfortunate, but it happens because people are trying to refute that it would be a racist meme. The fact is, the meme is racist. Is Crowbcat racist, we really don't know. But people do assume that she/he is or is not. And some people don't make any assumptions and just watch the content as it is. This time without racism.

Arena based shooters in general are having a rough time. Early access for Quake Champions went live today on Steam and it peaked at about 1k and the current is about 400. However, you can also play the game through Bethesda.net, so that number is probably higher.

This is what I predicted earlier in the thread. There just isn't an audience for these high flying fast as hell shooters anymore which is a bummer. I was checking the Quake Champions numbers during the night and at prime time it was around 700, on it's big early access release day.

They did good having that secondary launcher that people can use as a shield for low numbers, because the problem is the low numbers just keep people away and it's a snowball effect where they just keep getting worse.

People shouldn't be celebrating at Lawbreakers' failure, they should be pissed that a quality game of that style comes out and flounders. For years people have been wishing for a return to a certain style of shooter, but it was all talk. When the games come out, they don't show up.

Sony

Nintendo
I think an additional aspect is that Cliffy seemed to think that the gamers themselves will find out what kind of game it is. That didn't happen as the market is oversaturated. As most have already pointed out, the marketing should have showed what is was rather than focus on what it wasn't.

Yeahno. There is a difference between calling out a racist meme and telling people at every possible opportunity with anything related to crowbcat that they're enjoying the content of a white supremacist racist because you think he's a white supremacist racist.

It was quickly established that he used a racist meme earlier, I think that's okay. It informs people and they can look it up and make up their own mind. But people started to argue "nah it's not racist" that's why the discussion is still going. If someone is fine with the usage of such language then by all means subscribe and watch the content. Doesn't mean you are being racist if you interpret it differently in this context and are giving it a pass. So I agree that the derailing is unfortunate, but it happens because people are trying to refute that it would be a racist meme. The fact is, the meme is racist. Is Crowbcat racist, we really don't know. But people do assume that she/he is or is not. And some people don't make any assumptions and just watch the content as it is. This time without racism.

I see, I think I agree with you.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Yeahno. There is a difference between calling out a racist meme and telling people at every possible opportunity with anything related to crowbcat that they're enjoying the content of a white supremacist racist because you think he's a white supremacist racist.

If it quacks like a duck it's probably a duck. It's not really complicated, unless you want it to be.

And this seems like a suitable place to remind people what they're dealing with, since it's a crowbcat thread.

I was turned off from the game due to the look that I saw in a trailer but I hope it doesn't fail quickly. We need more long term games.

Lebneney

Banned
Long time lurker, junior poster. He's not wrong. Some good souls here, but so many people are hateful on this board.

Yep... NeoGAF is pretty decent for finding deals and notification of sales, plus the occasional "beta key begging" and "free to a good home" threads.

Yep... NeoGAF is pretty decent for finding deals and notification of sales, plus the occasional "beta key begging" and "free to a good home" threads.

Agreed.

Back to the video - it kinda sold me on Lawbreakers. I had never heard of the game, looks really fun.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Hilarious video as usual, CBcat is a treasure, and

im-out-gif-11.gif

"Person who used horrible racist meme is a treasure to me and now I'm off lalala can't hear you head back in the sand".

We've definitely gone wrong somewhere.

T.O.P

Banned
"Person who used horrible racist meme is a treasure to me and now I'm off lalala can't hear you head back in the sand".

We've definitely gone wrong somewhere.

Been a treasure since his first videos, one racist meme doesn't change the countless hours of entertainment

hotcyder

From the same guy who deceitfully assembles every bit of video footage he can find of a faulty product to make it seem that the product is a disaster.

Fuck CrowbCat.

Amen. The guy watched the RLM breakdown video that talked about selective editing and figured out how to do it himself. When we getting the CrowbCat video about CrowbCat?

Kinda worried they might have spent too much on marketing. It's a shame if it dies too early, seems like pretty solid game from what I played from the beta.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Been a treasure since his first videos, one racist meme doesn't change the countless hours of entertainment

Oh so you're not gone? You're hanging about to see how you're comment went down?

Cool.

And you're fully aware of the racism and just don't give a single solitary shit, apparently?

Ok. At least you're honest about it.

Kinda worried they might have spent too much on marketing.
Yeah, but whats interesting to me is that it seems to have been the wrong type of marketing. They seem to have gone all out with the "new" categories of marketing like getting streamers to play the game, but not enough of more traditional advertising. The result seems to somehow be that people agree its a good game but there just isnt enough interest to keep it relevant

nightside

This is what I predicted earlier in the thread. There just isn't an audience for these high flying fast as hell shooters anymore which is a bummer. I was checking the Quake Champions numbers during the night and at prime time it was around 700, on it's big early access release day.

They did good having that secondary launcher that people can use as a shield for low numbers, because the problem is the low numbers just keep people away and it's a snowball effect where they just keep getting worse.

People shouldn't be celebrating at Lawbreakers' failure, they should be pissed that a quality game of that style comes out and flounders. For years people have been wishing for a return to a certain style of shooter, but it was all talk. When the games come out, they don't show up.

And I'm sorry this kind ho shooters seem to don't have a big audience in the current competitive shooters landscape. I mean, I absolutely suck at this kind of games, my performance in quake live back in the day were beyond abysmal mostly for my incredible poor aim, but I always enjoyed greatly the speed and the freedom of movement that this kind of games give you (especially the fps-z like Tribes and similar).

The whole "we're going for a mature audience, _____ skews younger because of its more colorful art style" thing always makes me roll my eyes. Especially on a game like this where it looks like all the designs are generic and they just cartoonishly explode into buckets of red goo when they die. Super adult stuff. Guessing the dialogue is loaded with random F-bombs too?

faridmon

He isn't entirely wrong though

If I was a dev, I would surely not read Neogaf, because some of the comments would depress the hell out of me. Its something to read constructive criticism, but its entirely another thing to read just baseless shitting of your game

Heroman

Banned
He isn't entirely wrong though

If I was a dev, I would surely not read Neogaf, because some of the comments would depress the hell out of me. Its something to read constructive criticism, but its entirely another thing to read just baseless shitting of your game
Then welcome to real life cause that is what people do.

Top Bottom