• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

RooMHM

Unregistered007 said:
No I only have consoles (PS360) and I feel like giving some love to PS3 after the outage.

I am currently replaying God of War III (Best Graphics HANDS DOWN).

Hey you're posting in the wrong thread!
Video game graphics cognitive dissonance |OT|

RedSwirl

Okay guys, how about $29.99 for the Amazon PC download?

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-40617Crysis-21-Download/dp/B004S73HS8/ref=br_lf_m_1000208101_1_4_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=1298227462&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000208101&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=00TQGKF042J1FJ7KYZY0

When you guys say it's linear, does it shove you down a roller-coaster Call of Duty-style a lot or is it more like Crysis Warhead? Warhead was linear but still made me feel like I had freedom in how I wanted to play the game, the best parts being when I had to play cat & mouse games with other nanosuit guys. Does C2 have moments like that?

Oh and what's your experience been with Amazon as a PC digital retailer?

sleepykyo

Unregistered007 said:
No I only have consoles (PS360) and I feel like giving some love to PS3 after the outage.

I am currently replaying God of War III (Best Graphics HANDS DOWN).

This is definitely not the game for the PS3 unless you like blurry, stretched out slideshows.

Are there any tweaks out for this game yet? I can't fathom the reasoning behind the worse than awful graphics settings. I thought I had a bootleg copy when I first booted the game up.
Is there at least a way to change the FOV? It's horrid.

Dabanton

Unregistered007 said:
So is this a must play game of 2011 ?

Yes in terms of FPS games only Bulletstorm has presented such a solid and heres that word Fun campaign i can give or take the multi but the SP is great.

Yes it's not as open as Crysis but it gives you plenty of freedom to approach things how you feel.

dLMN8R

RedSwirl said:

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-40617Crysis-21-Download/dp/B004S73HS8/ref=br_lf_m_1000208101_1_4_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=1298227462&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000208101&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=00TQGKF042J1FJ7KYZY0

When you guys say it's linear, does it shove you down a roller-coaster Call of Duty-style a lot or is it more like Crysis Warhead? Warhead was linear but still made me feel like I had freedom in how I wanted to play the game, the best parts being when I had to play cat & mouse games with other nanosuit guys. Does C2 have moments like that?

Look for my posts in this thread and other Crysis threads, and you'll probably find that I'm one of the biggest Crysis and Warhead fans around. I was worried about Crysis 2 because of some comments from others, but I also picked it up for the $30 download from Amazon a couple weeks ago and I'm enjoying it very much.

I've played a couple hours of the campaign and an hour or so of multiplayer and I'm really liking it so far. It has its issues that people know about, the more constrained level design, the lack of dynamic destruction, some AI glitches, etc. but I'm still having fun approaching encounters in my own way. The addition of Nano Vision, suit upgrades, and the new moves you have like sliding and pulling yourself up ledges are a ton of fun too.

Also, I think the weapons in Crysis 2 feel utterly fantastic. Much better than Crysis and Warhead, where even with the silencers removed doing full damage, they never sounded or felt like anything special.

Crysis 2 is much closer to Crysis Warhead than Call of Duty. I'd look at it something like this:

Crysis --- Crysis Warhead -----------Crysis 2 -------------------------------------------------Half-Life 2 ------------Call of Duty games

Grisby

StevieP said:
Both the PS3 and 360 versions run at <720p, and have awful framerates much of the time.

No way. At least on the 360 the framerate is not awful. Sometimes it can hitch but not to detriment the experience.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Grisby said:
No way. At least on the 360 the framerate is not awful. Sometimes it can hitch but not to detriment the experience.
The 360 has downright awful framerate and terrible screen tearing. Play the PC version, then go back to the 360 version. It's awful.

Klocker

well MY 360 version is frickin beautiful and in MP I absolutely fly through the map

dont know what you all are playing... oh ya, PC... well go back to it cause we console owners don't have to torture ourselves by going back and forth we simply enjoy what is quite possibly the most beautiful console game to date.

scitek

RedSwirl said:

Definitely worth $30. I still play the single-player regularly, especially Gatekeepers and a few other nicely open levels, and Amazon is pretty good as far as their downloads go in my experience. I haven't had any trouble with them yet. I own a handful of games from them thanks to their sales.

I'd recommend you find the patch for 1.2 and stick with that, though, unless you have an interest in the multiplayer. 1.4 disables most of the console commands.

I wanted to spoog a little, I bought the game at launch tried the first level or so and it didn't really catch me. But I recently returned to the game and have been amazed by it. The story is the same popcorn movie crap you always get but the visuals, music and gameplay that back it up are amazing. I'm playing on PS3 and I think it's the best looking game on the platform, better then UC2. It also bothers to break up the action later on with bits of human interest that make you care about the city's inhabitants.

Anyways it's a shame it didn't sell better because it's amazing.

leng jai

Grisby said:

Actually Crysis 2 on 360 has some of the worst framerate I've experienced on console, even worse than Reach. It was definitely a detriment to my experience and I'll be buying the PC version when my new PC is built.

Guys what performance can I except from 5850 oc a bit? (Dual core intel at 3.9 Ghz CPU)
Should I aim for high or very high? Also any tweaks for better performance (without sacrificing a lot of eye candy ofc) :)

coopolon

Melhisedek said:
Guys what performance can I except from 5850 oc a bit? (Dual core intel at 3.9 Ghz CPU)
Should I aim for high or very high? Also any tweaks for better performance (without sacrificing a lot of eye candy ofc) :)

I had pretty good performance with a 5860 and a 3.6 ghz dual core. I alternated between very high and high throughout the game, and it definitely wasn't 60 fps, but it was completely playable. Every once in awhile it would hitch but nothing too bad.

Chiggs

Gold Member
thetrin said:
The 360 has downright awful framerate and terrible screen tearing. Play the PC version, then go back to the 360 version. It's awful.

I played through the PC version on my Radeon 6950 and it was beautiful and ran smoothly from start to finish.

I then got to see the game being played on the 360. Yikes. I mean, they managed to get a lot out of the system, but the framerate is awful. Just awful.

Nafai1123

Banned
I should be doing hw said:
Are there any tweaks out for this game yet? I can't fathom the reasoning behind the worse than awful graphics settings. I thought I had a bootleg copy when I first booted the game up.
Is there at least a way to change the FOV? It's horrid.

Read the OP.

Kibbles

Does installing to the HDD affect the framerate? Because I rented the game and played it for a few weeks back when it was released and I don't remember these huge framerate problems. In fact I was in shock at how smooth it turned out to be. There were a few drops in intensive scenes but no terrible problems. :S

Kibbles said:
Does installing to the HDD affect the framerate? Because I rented the game and played it for a few weeks back when it was released and I don't remember these huge framerate problems. In fact I was in shock at how smooth it turned out to be. There were a few drops in intensive scenes but no terrible problems. :S

uh it's pretty fucking awful. honestly i can't remember the last time a shooter on consoles was so bad.

if you need more proof watch the lensoftruth or digital foundry analysis and witness the dips to an amazing 10fps.

Red

RedSwirl said:

It's much more linear than Crysis or Warhead. Each level is basically a corridor, usually with stealth and assault branching paths.

It's not a totally enclosed walk forward like Call of Duty, but even in appearance it's still pretty restrictive.

witness

Finished the single play up tonight, parts of the story were very confusing (never played the original), but it was very very enjoyable from beginning to end. I'm hyped for Crysis 3 now.

leng jai said:
Actually Crysis 2 on 360 has some of the worst framerate I've experienced on console, even worse than Reach. It was definitely a detriment to my experience and I'll be buying the PC version when my new PC is built.
Damn. I'm glad I'm not as sensitive about this stuff as other people. I noticed it slow a few times in the game but it was never enough to bother me.

Its really funny.

I played the game for 10ish minutes at a friend's house and the first achievement that unlocks is Can it run Crysis ... LMAO

I guess the ANSWER is ...

NO FUCKING WAY..

OR

YES... @ less than 30 fps.

RedSwirl

I have no idea how, but this game is running at what feels like a butter smooth 60fps (or at least a rock solid 30) on my HD 6850 on Extreme setting. It runs MUCH more smoothly than Crysis and Warhead. Though that's probably because as far as I've gotten it's mostly been relatively enclosed environments, and even in the first Crysis I would get 60+fps in indoor areas. The Witcher 2 by comparison struggles slightly. (my monitor is 1440 x 900 by the way)

Come to think about it, yeah it does feel more like Warhead. The areas I've been in so far are comparable to Halo level design, and I still feel like I have the latitude to decide how I'm going to fight enemies.

Aesthetically the game feels like Crytek sold out to the AAA games industry, trying to have an "epic" storyline, Hans Zimmer music, and "get to cover!" everywhere. I could also make do with less overbearing tutorials. Gameplay-wise though it still feels like a game and not an interactive walkthrough like most other shooters today.

StevieP

Banned
RedSwirl said:
I have no idea how, but this game is running at what feels like a butter smooth 60fps

Consolized assets? It certainly pushes the PC far less than many other current showcase PC games, and even the first game in some ways. It's less "Crysis" and more "HD console shooter with Nanosuit", at least in my opinion.

Yopis

canadian crowe said:
Did they just unlock all of the main game types on 360? I logged in today and noticed that I had extraction an assault unlocked.

Picked this back up today after a few weeks lag seems a bit better now so Im all in.
Thought I saw the same thing (360).

RedSwirl

Is my gun supposed to turn into a total blur at even the slightest movement? On top of that I've seen a couple cut scenes so far where the background was in constant motion blur. Could it be something I did in the custom launcher I found (I have everything set to pretty much default Extreme anyway)?

The top screenshot is me walking a normal speed:
szvq69.jpg

This one is just me sitting still during a "cut scene":
2pqop4n.jpg

leng jai said:

The first Mass Effect on the 360 is much worse. A couple of really shoddy PS3 ports as well apparently. The console versions of Crysis 2 are far away from being the worst offenders.

NBtoaster

RedSwirl said:
Is my gun supposed to turn into a total blur at even the slightest movement? On top of that I've seen a couple cut scenes so far where the background was in constant motion blur. Could it be something I did in the custom launcher I found (I have everything set to pretty much default Extreme anyway)?

The top screenshot is me walking a normal speed:
szvq69.jpg

This one is just me sitting still during a "cut scene":
2pqop4n.jpg

Not normal. I had a similar issue when I played around with some settings, but I don't remember what particular setting caused it.

RedSwirl

Anyway, I think I might need to turn this game up to Hard. On Normal the enemies feel way too weak. The only times I die are when I make a blatant mistake and get surrounded by like eight of them. Most of the time when I get seen, a firefight is over in just a couple bursts.

The first Crysis and Warhead had sections where you had to fight against enemies with the same nanosuit powers as you, and it felt like a difficult but fulfilling fight. Defeating normal enemies required you to play a cat-and-mouse game and really get the drop on them. Does Crysis 2 have parts like that later on?

ColR100

Does anyone have a 100% or a save-file that includes all the unlocks like the Souvenirs, Dog-Tags...etc etc?

This is for the PC version here. I've completed the game, and I'd like to look through the content I paid for instead of wasting another 3-4 hrs collecting the remaining items using a guide.

Looked everywhere online and no-one has yet to upload a save-file. Surely some PC people in this thread have a save with all the Collectibles found?

Dabanton

RedSwirl said:
Anyway, I think I might need to turn this game up to Hard. On Normal the enemies feel way too weak. The only times I die are when I make a blatant mistake and get surrounded by like eight of them. Most of the time when I get seen, a firefight is over in just a couple bursts.

The first Crysis and Warhead had sections where you had to fight against enemies with the same nanosuit powers as you, and it felt like a difficult but fulfilling fight. Defeating normal enemies required you to play a cat-and-mouse game and really get the drop on them. Does Crysis 2 have parts like that later on?

Which part are you up to?

strata8

leng jai said:
Er, Reach's FPS was bad? I don't actually remember having any problems at all except for a couple of freak slowdowns.

Manp

so i'm replaying this abusing some of the sandbox and ai elements and i'm finding my playtrough much more enjoyable than the first time. not quite Crysis 1 levels (which i lost count how many time i played trough) but definitely more than the first time.

:)

Top Bottom