• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

AEREC

NotTarts said:
Er, Reach's FPS was bad? I don't actually remember having any problems at all except for a couple of freak slowdowns.

Reach does have a pretty bad framerate escpecially considering it came from Bungie and the previous Halo's have all ran at a solid 30fps 99% of the time.

Reach runs at 30fps 70% of the time, there's one section where you are defending in an underground ice cave or something that is pretty much unplayable...also I remember firefights being incredibly choppy too...at least MP runs smooth though.

bj00rn_

Banned
AEREC said:
Reach does have a pretty bad framerate

Reach runs at 30fps 70% of the time.

I've played through the campaign 5-6 times and yeah I noticed occasional stutters, sure. But actual framerate problems almost one third of the time..? No.

Klocker

anyone who DL the new maps.... are they populated?

this game with the patch, plays fantastic online to me and those who gave up (like me) should come back ...it is fun and challenging not to mention by FAR the most beautiful MP game ever made. Makes Brink look like a steaming pile of crap.

RedSwirl

Haunted said:
Done.

A shadow of the first game, but still enough to easily make it the best FPS of the year.

I'm gonna have to agree with this at the end of the day (as far as SP is concerned anyway).

I probably enjoyed Crysis 2's campaign more than that of any shooter since 2007 when Call of Duty 4 and Episode Two came out, with the exception of Gears of War 2 and Halo Reach. I'm not saying it's up at that level, but outside of those it's the only shooter in the last five years that isn't a failed attempt at a COD4 clone. After Killzone 3 I decided I was done with scripted war shooters and I still enjoyed C2 a lot.

I actually wanna go back for hard mode one day which is for me rarely happens with any game.

Dreohboy

sleepykyo said:
This is definitely not the game for the PS3 unless you like blurry, stretched out slideshows.

What? Didn't hear that, and haven't read it from any main game site that played all the way through the game.

Dreohboy

leng jai said:
Actually Crysis 2 on 360 has some of the worst framerate I've experienced on console, even worse than Reach. It was definitely a detriment to my experience and I'll be buying the PC version when my new PC is built.

Right.

But are you the exception or the norm as far as what would be an acceptable/enjoyable console fps experience?

Here's a clip of the PS3 version.
http://youtu.be/hETxb0Y2wjA

A person should simply do a little research, watch what the game looks like, then decide if that's acceptable or not.

Dreohboy

Unregistered007 said:
No I only have consoles (PS360) and I feel like giving some love to PS3 after the outage.

I am currently replaying God of War III (Best Graphics HANDS DOWN).

Get it for the PS3.

Best single player FPS experience on the platform. Long, decent story, cool suit powers, looks great.

Multiplayer isn't as good as Killzone 3.

MYE

Dreohboy said:
Get it for the PS3.

Best single player FPS experience on the platform. Long, decent story, cool suit powers, looks great.

Good to know cuz K3 left a bad taste on my mouth :(

markao

SneakyStephan said:
You know you don't have to triple post right? You can edit your posts.

Also any news yet about the dx11 patch pcgaf?
Or is it just vaporware.
Still working on it and according to an admin at MyCryis forum, they are working to get some official media according to it out (soonish)
Advanced graphics options is a largely requested feature from the community. It allows users to custom set particular graphics settings to suit their tastes and system performance. As for the latter comment, i feel Crysis 2's visuals are far from looking like a 'turd' by any standards but for now you'll have to take my word for it that the DX11 update is going to blow your mind :) We're working on getting some official media for the DX11 update so please remain patient until that becomes available.

Also we will finally get advanced options in our menus in the next PC patch.

Cry-Adam said:
Hi everyone!

We've got a list of changes that will be coming in the next patch that we'd like to share with you. There's some great new features coming to Crysis 2, one of the main ones being the new "Advanced Graphics Options" menu which will allow you to tweak graphics settings beyond the presets.

We also added a feature to the votekick system which allows voting to be performed with a simple press of the F1 key. To initiate votekicks on players is still the same method as before, however to vote for that kick, all you need to do now is hit the F1 key. There's many other changes included in the up coming patch, check them out below!

New Features
• Added advanced graphics options
• Added F1 to vote during vote kicks
• Prematch mode for ranked servers added allowing people to fight on the map until sufficient players have joined for the ranked play to start
• Upped the default score limits in some game modes:
• - Crash Site has a limit of 175 (was 150)
• - Team Instant Action has a limit of 75 (was 50)
• - Instant Action has a limit of 30 (was 25)

Fixes
• Fixed vote kicking not working for players with certain characters in their name
• Fixed ping display displaying 1000 for many servers in the PC server browser
• Fixed issue where terrain would be rendered in black on some levels
• Fixed single player save games with broken nano catalyst values (NB: This is for existing save games!)
• Fixed under-barrel attachment HUD displaying incorrectly
• Fixed minor 'Loadout Pro' exploit
• Fixed issue with being melee'd during a ledge grab (which could lead to fly exploits)
• Fixed some AI spawning issues in single player
• Fixed rare crash in single player
• Fixed an audio loop issue on the single player level "Semper Fi"
• Fixed an issue with the DLC store which could lead to players not being able to access the purchase history tab. Players can now access this tab, and from there download their DLC straight into their game and have it auto installed for them
• Fixed other cosmetic issues in the DLC store
• Fixed Light Shotgun attachment skill assessment not being levelled up
• Optimization to SSAO
• Further Anti cheat improvements
• Tweaked in-game audio dialogue (player taunts, announcements, etc) to be more diverse with more content for more events
• Mystery dog tags unlocked whilst not connected to a server will now remain unlocked
• Players that have rebooted will no longer be able to enter "New Recruits" servers

Balance Changes
• Balance changes to a variety of weapons, including:
• - JAW rocket speed and damage reduced
• - Under-barrel shotgun effectiveness reduced
• - Removed accuracy bonus for crouching with HMG
• - Increased K-Volt damage
• Balance changes to a variety of nanosuit modules, including:
• - Reduced the bonus that extended mags provides
• - Point fire enhance has improved effectiveness
• - Mobility Enhance has reduced effectiveness
• Balance change to Maximum Suit's armour: effectiveness has been slightly reduced
• Balance change to headshot damage from 1.8x to 1.5x

The update is not too far away and once we have a definite date set for release we'll be sure to let you know here! For the console players, if you're reading this, your patch notes are coming shortly and will be put up as soon as they are ready.

Thanks!
- MyCrysis Team

markao said:
Still working on it and according to an admin at MyCryis forum, they are working to get some official media according to it out (soonish)

Patch stuff*

Also we will finally get advanced options in our menus in the next PC patch.

The game has been out since march and still no ETA on that supposed patch then? SMH

I still can't get over the fact that I'm reading all these 'features' in the form of patchnotes.
The game still won't have votemap or rockthevote commands, still no rcon tools or admin support.
Is the netcode still as big a piece of shit as at release? (I really can't be bothered reinstalling the game as it is) is it still full of aimbotters and hackers?

No word on proper MSAA support with the dx11 patch (should have been in the 1.0 game to begin with under dx10 mode!!!)
Still nothing about cryeditor 3 for the game either.

Karram

RooMHM said:
Well, if you hate him, you must hate every other FPS developper because Crysis 2 is pretty much the 2nd most interesting gameplay in the genre, after Crysis 1.
I don't hate him only because of this interview there are actually a lot of things that made me come to the conclusion that this dude is a douchebag. I think developers need to understand that trying to copy another medium will make game an inferior medium. Games should be it's own thing not an inferior duplicate of another medium.

Enosh

NameGenerated said:
I like that they are bumping up the score count. Games are way too short currently.
I tought FFA with 25 is actualy quite o.k.

unless they throw you on that mini map inside that building with the billion stairs, then it becomes a clusterfuck

(on PC that is)

dLMN8R

It's just amazing to me how glitchy the AI in Crysis 2 is. I've only played the single-player for a few hours now, but I can't count on both of my hands how many times I've encountering enemies randomly shooting me through walls, magically throwing grenades through walls, AI glitching up with 5 guys lined up in a row weirdly just standing there, magically seeing me from all the way across the map, and more.

Far Cry and Crysis had their AI issues too, no doubt, but Crysis 2 brings the horrible glitches to an entirely new level.

Enosh said:
it's awesome, I already got something like 2 (or 3, not sure) ranks quite easy out of it

40 now ^^

I think I went from like 10-32 now. I had no life this weekend :D

I can't win a single Free For All game though, I am getting so close but I can't get that win to get that achievement. I have got a WIN on all the other playlists.

Dreohboy

• Fixed some AI spawning issues in single player

Thanks. That's a start. I hope there are other AI corrections (cpu not reacting in situations where they obviously should react, NPC soldiers making brain dead shooting decisions).

Can't wait.

markao

PC patch is live, at least on Steam as my game got updated and look what I found ;)

crysis22011-06-0120-41d7td.png

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Does armor mode in multiplayer do anything? I feel like I at most take one or two more bullets with it on...

So how does one claim the limited edition stuff? The box that's mentioned on the website never shows up for me. Tried with IE, Firefox, no success. Patch also seems to override my autoexec and limits fov to a maximum of 80 - what gives?

Zimbardo

so if you were already running the game on Extreme then these advanced options don't really matter from the looks of things.

anyway, i just wanna say that the multiplayer in this game is pretty sweet. especially the Crash Site game mode. i played a ton of that during this past weekend's double XP event and really got to like it a lot. excellent game overall. probably the best looking multiplayer maps i've ever seen.

it'll be great to see a DX11 patch sometime soon. i hope.

dustin

Neo Member
I have no idea who these soldiers are I'm killing. I have no idea why i'm killing them. Apparently there's some virus in New York I think. There are also aliens. I can honestly say I have no idea what the hell is going on, but I do know that Crysis 2 is the best god damned single player FPS I've played in years. What a fucking game.

markao

Stallion Free said:
That's it? *sigh*

Well I'm still looking forward to DX11.
With the DX 11 update, there will come more options according to mycrysis admin;
Cry-Adam said:
We've got some more information coming on that soon. This advanced graphics option menu is stage-1, there will be more options added in to coincide with the DX11 update

And for those having issues with your commands, make sure there = is "space" between the "command = value" , so fov = 65 , not fov=65.

So for anyone wondering how to redeem their limited edition code (might have gotten the game from Play recently like me): Go to mycrysis but do not follow the official instructions, which do not work, but instead click on the buy Crysis 2 now button to go to the shop, then click on promotions and you will find an option to redeem the code. LOL EA as usual.

markao said:
And for those having issues with your commands, make sure there = is "space" between the "command = value" , so fov = 65 , not fov=65.
Thanks, works now but my fov settings are still limited to 80 and I'm sure it accepted 95 before.

BobsRevenge said:
Does armor mode in multiplayer do anything? I feel like I at most take one or two more bullets with it on...

Depends what you get hit with, it only lets you take a few rounds more but some high powered stuff like snipers will still cut through it without issue.

markao

Phife Dawg said:
So for anyone wondering how to redeem their limited edition code (might have gotten the game from Play recently like me): Go to mycrysis but do not follow the official instructions, which do not work, but instead click on the buy Crysis 2 now button to go to the shop, then click on promotions and you will find an option to redeem the code. LOL EA as usual.

Thanks, works now but my fov settings are still limited to 80 and I'm sure it accepted 95 before.
From what I read on forums, FOV now has a limited range, from 55 to 80.

NBtoaster

Dreohboy said:
Thanks. That's a start. I hope there are other AI corrections (cpu not reacting in situations where they obviously should react, NPC soldiers making brain dead shooting decisions).

Can't wait.

I just played a bit and still had soldiers walking into walls. This should really be the focus of a patch, better AI would improve the game immensely.

TheExodu5

Banned
80 vertical fov is pretty high (higher than 90 horizontal fov). I wouldn't really see the need to go higher than that, unless you really want fighseye.

scitek

This latest patch is a fucking disgrace. Online, I'm forced to look at PostMSAA set to 1, and the LOD is eye-bleedingly poor now. Shit's popping in 10 feet away. Fuck off, Crytek.

RedSwirl

Karram said:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6147/the_bleeding_edge_cevat_yerli_on_.php

This interview summed up everything I hate about modern shooter. Cinematic, scripted, guided etc..
I don't think I will loathe a game developer more than Cevat Yerli.

And yet, Crysis 2 isn't that, or at last not nearly as much as most other shooters.

What really got to me was this:
"Crysis was a bit difficult to access because it required more burden on the player to think. What we want is for the burden to be reduced, but thinking is still allowed, so the access is easier, simplified."

Goddamnit whatever happened to games that actually let the player think for himself?

Just started playing this game on 360, and my god, it looks fantastic. Fun as heck, too. I really appreciate the open environments and how the game lets you choose how to approach each situation. The only issue I have so far is with the suit energy. It's consumed so quickly, especially if you want to run and engage stealth/armor. I'm assuming it'll get upgraded soon, though, so this isn't too big of an issue.

Maybe playing this game directly after Medal of Honor is doing it a favor, as that game was a corridor crawl with underwhelming graphics, but I'm really impressed so far. The game froze once for me -- dunno if that's a known issue with the 360 version or not.

Enosh

well it won't update it'self, but you get to choose from a list of upgrades, lower drain while in stealth being one and lower drain while in armor another

althrough the stealth ones needs a shit loads of points to unlock iirc

Smokey

C2 was one of the first games I bought for my new PC. I'm running it at max (Extreme, 1080p, 55-60fps)...and while it looks fucking nice...I'm finding it boring :/. I've had to force myself to play it (Steam says I've got 6 hrs in it). Pretty disappointing to me. Maybe MP is better?

Red

Smokey said:
C2 was one of the first games I bought for my new PC. I'm running it at max (Extreme, 1080p, 55-60fps)...and while it looks fucking nice...I'm finding it boring :/. I've had to force myself to play it (Steam says I've got 6 hrs in it). Pretty disappointing to me. Maybe MP is better?
I'd say it's little more than Call of Duty with suit powers. Crysis 2 is a perfect example of a solid, technically impressive, boring, and imaginatively dead game.

Smokey said:
No, the MP is not better. Try Crysis 1/Warhead and see if you like those.

JB1981

Crunched said:
I'd say it's little more than Call of Duty with suit powers. Crysis 2 is a perfect example of a solid, technically impressive, boring, and imaginatively dead game.

Total fucking bullshit. COD can't wipe this game's ass.

Red

JB1981 said:
Total fucking bullshit. COD can't wipe this game's ass.
Okay. I still feel burned having paid full price for the PC version. It's not as brainless as Call of Duty, but it's still terrifically boring.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Crunched said:
Not as perfect as Assassin's Creed 1.

Red

SapientWolf said:
Not as perfect as Assassin's Creed 1.
All the same, I enjoyed AC1 a lot more than Crysis 2.

Though! I haven't finished C2 yet. Stopped at chapter 7, been waiting for that DX11 patch. Also it got very hard for me to trudge through. Felt like a chore after the first few chapters, so by-the-numbers that I felt I'd seen it all before.

AC1 was at least a new experience, flawed as it was.

Top Bottom