• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Purexed said:
Started well, but the impression definitely took a dive from the iffy frame rate and bad image quality. Turn on 3D and it'll really get ugly!

That sucks, how bad does it get? Is it worth playing on consoles in your opinion?

Klocker said:
if PS3 was a "port" so was 360.
from PC of course

What exactly was the point of this post? Everyone knows it's a port, the question was did they do a good job.

ph33nix said:
I just made the mistake of buying it and no one playing it :(
awww man! can you still get into servers that didn't upgrade to the DLC? If not, that just blows. I'll never forget the first game to fuck online gamers over like this was GRAW. When they dropped that $15 DLC and half the community bought it and the other half didn't, the 2 halves could never play together again. Much gnashing of teeth came.

ph33nix said:
What is your Steam ID?

Mine is ph33nix
Heavenly-Hammer is my Origins/Crysis 2 name. I didn't buy from Steam so I'm not sure if I can use that.

anyone here can certainly feel free to add me, however that system works in Origins or whatever.

ph33nix said:
But yeah, Dreams-Visions, I wish we could get a nice GAF Community somehow. I don't post in this particular thread much but what is the multiplayer activity here like?
I've never played with anyone here that I'm aware of. But I get good run online every night, where I'm playing probably 1 or 2 hours every night.

Gonna jump on in the next 15 minutes, actually. I have yet to decide on my final weapon/perk setup since I still have a couple more perks to max out, but I've been surprised at how good some of them are when maxed out. It will really kinda depend on the gametype I'm playing. For example, the Bomb delay is just incredible for Crash Site...but almost useless in other gametypes. And speed is really handy in CTF-style games...but not very valuable otherwise.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Pagin' dennis/whoeverelse.

I can't for the life of me get the IQ to be decent. Trying to run the game with everything on max still has the horrible grain and smudginess.

I tried the custom config in the OP but there's still "something" missing I can't really put a finger on it.

My gpus aren't stressed more than roughly 50% each which means I got a lot more to give. Maybe it's not enough for supersampling but I really want to get it to look as good as it can :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Corky said:
Pagin' dennis/whoeverelse.

I can't for the life of me get the IQ to be decent. Trying to run the game with everything on max still has the horrible grain and smudginess.

I tried the custom config in the OP but there's still "something" missing I can't really put a finger on it.

My gpus aren't stressed more than roughly 50% each which means I got a lot more to give. Maybe it's not enough for supersampling but I really want to get it to look as good as it can :(

Welcome to my world. I found out it was the AA. Earlier in this thread I took comparison screenshots showing that no amount of tweaking could prevent a slight texture clarity loss whenever the AA was on, so I could never get the kind of IQ that Dennis' screens showed.

What's your GPU?

Corky

EatChildren said:
Welcome to my world. I found out it was the AA. Earlier in this thread I took comparison screenshots showing that no amount of tweaking could prevent a slight texture clarity loss whenever the AA was on, so I could never get the kind of IQ that Dennis' screens showed.

What's your GPU?

two 560 TIs SOC.

Yeah I feel ya man, I mean I'm not stupid I know that dennis runs his games in like 2560 or w/e and when the screenshoot is heavily downsampled it looks ridiculously good. But right now my game looks as a horrible mess :/

edit : snapped two quick screens with the game running on the custom config + the regular settings on max. You could argue that these aren't the most flattering pics out there but I picked a checkpoint at random and this level is what I was dropped in. I really don't like the look of the game. Sure it might be a technical marvel when it comes to lighting and optimization but the IQ is... well I don't like it.

Kyaw

Corky said:
two 560 TIs SOC.

Yeah I feel ya man, I mean I'm not stupid I know that dennis runs his games in like 2560 or w/e and when the screenshoot is heavily downsampled it looks ridiculously good. But right now my game looks as a horrible mess :/

Maybe you can play the game supersampled?

Purexed

Banned
bdizzle said:
That sucks, how bad does it get? Is it worth playing on consoles in your opinion?

What exactly was the point of this post? Everyone knows it's a port, the question was did they do a good job.
It is, but just know it's not going to be as fluid as a Killzone 3 or even Killzone 2 for that matter.

Corky

Kyaw said:
Maybe you can play the game supersampled?

I remember last time I tried I couldn't get it to work, got a link that shows how to do it? Thanks<3

edit :

Here's what I'd like my C2 to look like, don't care if I get sub 30 fps as long as I know the game has it in it.

crysis2_december_2010_xqzp.jpg

Kyaw

Corky said:
I remember last time I tried I couldn't get it to work, got a link that shows how to do it? Thanks<3

edit :

Here's what I'd like my C2 to look like, don't care if I get sub 30 fps as long as I know the game has it in it.

Get Nvidia Inspector.
There should be options for supersampling and such. You need to enable the appropriate LOD offset.

For 2x SSAA we don't recommend any changes yet, but for 4x SSAA you should set the LoD to -1 and for 8x SSAA -2 or -3 are flicker free - depending on the texture content.

You can also try SGSSAA. It is very good but very hard on your GPU.

Corky

Kyaw said:
Get Nvidia Inspector.
There should be options for supersampling and such. You need to enable the appropriate LOD offset.

Tried that, my settings doesn't seem to go through for some reason.

Corky

Kyaw said:
Did you try Sparse Grid Supersampling AA?

edit: http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/user-news/147342-crysis-2-sgssaa-per-kompatibilitaets-bits.html

Have a look through there. You will find how to properly apply SGSSAA.

I figured out what was wrong, I had to change the anti aliasing behaviour flag that messed things up.

Say what you want about the IQ per se, but damn this game is well optimized compared other games. I bumped the AA to 2x sparsegridsupersampling + 2msaa and still manage to get 60fps, but according to the inspector monitors that's my sweetspot since my gpus are at 90% now compared to 50%. I guess going to 4x will only cripple the performance .

edit : do the SGSSAA and MSAA have to correspond? I mean does have to be 2x sgssaa + 2xmsaa : 4x sgssaa + 4msaa etc? Is it possible to skip MSAA and just go SGSSAA?
edit 2 : apparently it does. Couldn't get non-matching settings to work.

Dreams-Visions said:
awww man! can you still get into servers that didn't upgrade to the DLC? If not, that just blows. I'll never forget the first game to fuck online gamers over like this was GRAW. When they dropped that $15 DLC and half the community bought it and the other half didn't, the 2 halves could never play together again. Much gnashing of teeth came.

I just added you. And you can still play; there's a bunch of servers that have the new maps on them but no one is in. Everybody is playing in vanilla maps.

And then there's just a fuck ton of empty servers :(

So last night I encountered my first guy using this weapon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-sU96Pv5A

FY71 assault rifle found in the most recent map pack DLC. At first I thought he was a modder because the assault rifle sounded EXACTLY like the mounted gun turret and it was killing people with 2 bullets. It's ridiculously OP and hella cheap.

I'm not sure what Crytek was thinking here other than to try to push people into buying the DLC by giving everyone who bought in an unfair advantage.

@ph33nix - Good to know. It makes me a little less apprehensive about buying the DLC since all the DLC stuff can be used on regular servers and since you can still play with people who don't have the DLC.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dreams-Visions said:
added.

but can I play with you if I didn't buy via steam?
Yeah, the game uses no aspect of the Steam friends list, it has an internal friends list. Steam will just make it easier to contact each other and figure stuff out.

Dreams-Visions said:
added.

but can I play with you if I didn't buy via steam?

Yes

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, the game uses no aspect of the Steam friends list, it has an internal friends list. Steam will just make it easier to contact each other and figure stuff out.

That and Mumble will make it more easier.

Pimpbaa

DieH@rd said:
Whoa, its out! its a bloddy shame that texture pack apparently requires 64bit windows.

No it's not. Any pc gamer who isn't on a 64-bit OS is doing it wrong. And anyone that installed the 32-bit version of Windows 7 should be publicly tarred and feathered.

Loxley

Harry Potter said:
I'm thinking of picking this up tomorrow. Is the single player pretty good? Worth it if I'm not planning on doing much multi?

The SP is pretty fun, and actually longer than the typical FPS campaign these days is (on normal it can take about 10-12 hours to complete).

Erasus said:
So got this on PC and running on High. Then I used the config tool a bit to turn off AA
http://www.wasdie.blogspot.com/

Is the gun supposed to blur like this when moving? Dont remember that in the demo...

I deleted the autoexex.cfg and it still does that

Disable radial blur I think. Not sure what the cvar is but you'll find it in 5 seconds on google.

Turns out there are some multiplayer servers that do have people playing the new expansion maps on there. Seems like there are 3 kinds...vanilla, 1st expansion, 2nd expansion. No mixes between the 3.

The new maps are fun, but then again I am the definition of mediocrity at this game that I hardly have any time to tell if a map is good or not. I'm hoping these new patches ramps up the activity of GAF/PC Community online cause I am lonnnnely :(

Gvaz

Banned
Harry Potter said:
I'm thinking of picking this up tomorrow. Is the single player pretty good? Worth it if I'm not planning on doing much multi?
Depends. Personally I thought it was much weaker than Crysis 1/Warhead. Some disagree.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So I booted up Crysis 1 ("Paradise Lost" level) to test my mighty CPU and damn, the game feels much better and plays much better than Crysis 2. This whole level is beautiful and jaw-dropping. Massive rocks falling from cliffs, snow and enormous scale create something that Crysis 2 failed to achieve.

yes, it's still a fun game, I was defending it, but I'm not anymore. The game is worse overall than its predecessor, period.

I hope mod tools will fix this situation.

subversus

Gvaz said:
You're hoping for something that will never happen.

Why? New levels will be built with PCs in mind. New movement flowcharts will be created. they might even bring old costume modes but I don't care about those.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
subversus said:
So I booted up Crysis 1 ("Paradise Lost" level) to test my mighty CPU and damn, the game feels much better and plays much better than Crysis 2. This whole level is beautiful and jaw-dropping. Massive rocks falling from cliffs, snow and enormous scale create something that Crysis 2 failed to achieve.

yes, it's still a fun game, I was defending it, but I'm not anymore. The game is worse overall than its predecessor, period.

I hope mod tools will fix this situation.
That's a popular opinion around here, but I could see how corridor shooter aficionados might gravitate towards the second over the first. Although those people might be better served by other shooters.

Gvaz

Banned
subversus said:
Why? New levels will be built with PCs in mind. New movement flowcharts will be created. they might even bring old costume modes but I don't care about those.
They're not going to release an editor, they're going to charge for maps like with MW2, and they're going to see the financial success of marketing this kind of game to the masses even if a large portion of their original fans feel at little more than stiffed.

SapientWolf said:
That's a popular opinion around here, but I could see how corridor shooter aficionados might gravitate towards the second over the first. Although those people might be better served by other shooters.
Honestly I feel that the strength of the first game was the SP with the MP being second fiddle. Who honestly played crysis mp competitively? No one did.

It's almost like the opposite happened here, if it wasn't for the fact they had another group design the MP.

Aouri said:
Playing it on my pc with my 360 controller =p Just more used to my controller than keyboard and mice atm.
Just be aware: when Crytek removed aim-assist after the beta, the parity that controllers enjoyed vanished. In many situations, the controller is okay, but there will be times when you keep missing sniper shots or something that will let you know that there is no assisting helping bridge the precision gap. And you won't be able to spin around as fast with the controller either. But it's certainly much more comfortable.

To date, I've probably played 35% controller and 65% kb&m. More controller at the beginning. Now I only go to the controller when my wrists are tired of hovering above the keyboard keys or if I feel like being more chill.

Or if I'm using a class that doesn't really need the precision (like if I'm running a shotty class).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Gvaz said:
Honestly I feel that the strength of the first game was the SP with the MP being second fiddle. Who honestly played crysis mp competitively? No one did.

It's almost like the opposite happened here, if it wasn't for the fact they had another group design the MP.
Yeah, too bad no one is really playing it. Some free DLC might have helped recapture some of the goodwill lost by the MP's launch issues, but that opportunity is gone now.

dLMN8R

Man, just beat Crysis 2 today, can't really explain how disappointed I am with it.

Crysis 2 is just measurably worse than Crysis and Warhead in literally every single way:

-The story is an unmitigated mess of over-complexity fan-fiction bullshit. I couldn't follow it to the best of my attempts while playing it, and reading the plot summary in Wikipedia just made me LOL at how fucking horrible it was.

-The lack of physics interaction to the point where even small tents stay put is so ridiculously disappointing

-Even with the lack of destructable terrain and foliage, making AI less complicated to handle, the AI is fundamentally less interesting, and outright broken far too often. At least in Crysis and Warhead they had an excuse because of the AI's requirement to navigate around complicated and dynamically changing environments. Not so with Crysis 2.

-The graphics are indeed impressive, but so smeared with post-processing effects that you can barely see it. Crytek got so overwhelmed by the crutches required for consoles to mask the weaknesses that they completely forgot to back off that bullshit for PCs that can actually handle competent resolutions.

-The characters are jumbled, uninteresting, and completely devoid of anything worth caring about. At least Psycho has a personality.

-The pre-rendered CG bits were utter bullshit. Developers - stop using shitty compressed 720p video when I'm playing your game smoothly at 1920x1200 resolution. This is outside the fact that, of course, they were acted and edited horribly.

-Why the fuck am I this superman in a super suit being ordered around by no less than 4 different people throughout the game? Who the hell are these people? Why the fuck am I constantly following their orders?

-Why would I randomly stick myself with an unknown needle presented to me by someone who just blatantly betrayed me and tried to kill me? Why would I ever do that?

-What the hell even happened to my suit after injecting myself with this thing that supposedly made me super-powerful? It didn't do anything. I wasn't super-powerful. What the fuck?

-Why are the suit upgrades so damn lame?

Blah, it's a better FPS campaign than most recent ones (which isn't saying much), but as a sequel to Crysis, Crytek couldn't have created a more disappointing game.

The fact that Cevat Yerli only thinks it's a "backfire" because it didn't have super-high graphics options makes me wonder how one could be so dense.

BlackDove

Banned
Admittedly, he has the sales numbers, so he perhaps thinks it's a master success.

I really do wonder by what margin the console release paid off over the Crysis+Warhead PC one.

The level design in particular was pretty fucking terrible though. I was so bored, for the last ten or so levels, I just cloaked past everything, as the cloak with the upgrade stays up forever.

subversus

dLMN8R said:
The fact that Cevat Yerli only thinks it's a "backfire" because it didn't have super-high graphics options makes me wonder how one could be so dense.

No, he's not dense. Most users didn't care about gameplay in Crysis 1. It had more open environments but most people didn't utilize them and well, there were not many ways to utilize that open environment because all your options in firefights were concentrated in a rather small space. If they gave us an option to use a heli on every level than yes, I would say that they utilized the environment.

Unfortunately the only level where they utilized it was the tank assault level. So Crysis 2 and Crysis 1 aren't that different in that regard. Bigger environments gave a sense of scale but it wasn't about gameplay, just graphics.

Most people cared about graphics, not gameplay. If they were not, than we wouldn't hear "tech demo" talk even amongst PC users. So Cevat was right about this.

Frankly speaking the general public doesn't need open world environments unless you can fuck shit up (GTA, Oblivion). If open environments are about shooting only then any corridor shooter will be better because it doesn't require thinking and it entertains a player. You had to find ways to entertain yourself in Crysis.

With all that said I think making open-world shooters is stupid if your goal is to capture a broader audience. And if it's not your goal as a blockbuster developer than you're stupid.

dLMN8R

BlackDove said:
Admittedly, he has the sales numbers, so he perhaps thinks it's a master success.

I really do wonder by what margin the console release paid off over the Crysis+Warhead PC one.

The level design in particular was pretty fucking terrible though. I was so bored, for the last ten or so levels, I just cloaked past everything, as the cloak with the upgrade stays up forever.
That's just it though - he had the sales numbers of the first games too. He knew damn well that Crysis made a profit off its huge budget after a short time, and he knew damn well that Warhead was a great success too.

He knew that he sold millions of copies of awesome games making them PC exclusive and cutting edge, with superior margins due to the lack of console royalties and because of digital distribution too.

All he's said is that Crysis 2 is a significantly more expensive game than Crysis, which had a $22 million budget and made a profit. We also know that Crysis 2 shipped around 2 million in the time that Crysis shipped 1 million. So the questions that remain are:

1) What was Crysis 2's budget? Twice as much as Crysis?
2) Did Crysis 2 sell enough more to justify the larger budget?
3) Crysis continued selling for an extremely long time because it was such an awesome game and an amazing benchmark. Will Crysis 2 be as lucky with a console focus, where games usually don't sell much past the first month, and where PC gamers don't really care much about the game?

BlackDove

Banned
What I don't understand is why they didn't just marginally upgrade the engine as they went along, and kept making innovative levels for a year, year and a half, and released a real sequel to Crysis 1, instead of overhauling the entire tech so it would work on worser systems and re-designing/re-booting something that didn't need to be re-designed or re-booted.

I mean, Warhead was a step in the right direction, just had too little lead time. With a bit more time, they could have built enough "levels" for a full on new game (Warhead acting more like an expansion pack).

Some of us actually liked the first game. Changing everything because it wasn't meeting the demands of Call of Duty was fucking moronic in my opinion.

subversus

BlackDove said:
Some of us actually liked the first game. Changing everything because it wasn't meeting the demands of Call of Duty was fucking moronic in my opinion.

who cares about an opinion of 500 000 - 1 000 000 people if there are at least 10 000 000 to conquer?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I really must be part of the minority that found most of Crysis quite boring, and while not without significant flaws of its own still enjoyed Crysis 2 much more.

Top Bottom