• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 ps4

KKRT00

the game scales waaay up on the high end and had a lot of features built in that basically didn't run at all at playable framerates on 2007 hardware. HBAO especially is computationally expensive.

Crysis 1 didnt have HBAO, it had very unoptimized SSAO, because they pioneered this technique.
For example in Crysis 2 they increased SSAO quality and still improved its performance 10 times.

Javin98

Banned
Every Crysis game is sandbox in the sense that suit powers give players the ability to engage fights in so many different ways. What was lost after Crysis 1 was "wide linear" approach in which player had the ability to approach objectives in his own way. C2 and C3 were set in destroyed urban environment, and were more linear because of that [there were some freedom, but not as much].

I have 270X [which is a bit stronger than GPU inside PS4], and maxed out C1 [without AA] runs mostly at 60 with drops to ~45 when view covers a lot of environment and in some action scenes. But with CryEngine 3 optimizations, I can see it running at 1080p60 on PS4 [hopefully with better textures].
Sounds like fun. Gotta give them a try one day. Anyway, if the remastered trilogy is coming out, all we can do is hope Crytek optimizes well for both consoles and don't go for parity.

the game scales waaay up on the high end and had a lot of features built in that basically didn't run at all at playable framerates on 2007 hardware. HBAO especially is computationally expensive.

the new engine version supports even more graphical features, and stuff like tessellation can still bring high-end GPUs down much less the midrange AMD cards in the consoles.
A few games on PS4 seem to handle HBAO just fine. But yeah, tessellation probably won't make it into the console versions. Can't say I care much. I'd take POM any day of the week.

Edit: Just saw the post above. I was wondering why you mentioned Crysis 1 having HBAO when all I remembered was SSAO. Wasn't it the first game to use SSAO? Anyway, SSAO should be far more optimized now. Or maybe Crytek should use SSDO.

aeolist

Banned
Crysis 1 didnt have HBAO, it had very unoptimized SSAO, because they pioneered this technique.
For example in Crysis 2 they increased SSAO quality and still improved its performance 10 times.

oh right i forgot about that. i'm sure a rerelease would use CE3's HBAO anyway.

Crysis 1 is one of my all time favourite FPS's so I would buy a trilogy remaster...can't say I care for it's sequels however with the exception of Warhead

KKRT00

Yep :)

HBAO was created by DICE and first used in BC: Bad Company 2

@aeolist
Dont worry, it can be quite confusing with all those acronyms :)
I mean we have MSAA, CSAA, MLAA, FXAA, SSDO, SSAO, HBAO, DLAA, SMAA, TXAA and probably 5-6 more that i dont remember now :p

Javin98

Banned
Yep :)

HBAO was created by DICE and first used in BC: Bad Company 2

@aeolist
Dont worry, it can be quite confusing with all those acronyms :)
I mean we have MSAA, CSAA, MLAA, FXAA, SSDO, SSAO, HBAO, DLAA, SMAA, TXAA and probably 5-6 more that i dont remember now :p
What in the Sam heck is DLAA? Never heard of it. Download Link Anti Aliasing? XD

And you're forgetting HRAA, SSBC, SSAA, TSSAA and others I can't think of.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Crytek does. And no one knows yet, but they claim to have signed a big licensing deal recently.

OT - I want Crysis in the new CryEngine on PC. That's it, really.

Supposedly they're making a dinosaur game for VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcOTwpFmMsM

I was pretty disappointed they made the Lost Island DLC MP only. I always wanted to know what happened to Prophet toward the end of Crysis 1 and these maps seemed like a perfect set piece to tell that story. Anyway, it's a good indication of Crysis would look like running on the latest CE and proper hardware.

latest

latest

Kinthalis

Banned
Sounds like fun. Gotta give them a try one day. Anyway, if the remastered trilogy is coming out, all we can do is hope Crytek optimizes well for both consoles and don't go for parity.

A few games on PS4 seem to handle HBAO just fine. But yeah, tessellation probably won't make it into the console versions. Can't say I care much. I'd take POM any day of the week.

Tessellation based displacement mapping is superior to POM I believe, thugh POM might be cheaper? Don't recall.

Remark

Banned
I would actually want a remaster for Crysis. I played Crysis 2 MP heavy, shit was mad fun.

Crysis 3 MP was horrible though :l

eot

Banned
AI bugs aside, I really enjoyed Crysis 2. Sensational weapon feedback and well designed levels. It's a different beast from the first but I find it to be more even in quality.

Warhead's the best Crysis so hopefully that's included if this is an indication of a port.

Warhead's alright, but the levels never felt as open as in Crysis.

Schlomo

I have a strange affection for Crysis 2. One of the few fps games I really enjoyed. But since I have it on PC (plus Maldo's brilliant mod) I have no interest in a PS4 port.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I like to dream too.
Realistically, it all depends on what settings / cvars they decide to use
Yep. I think they could hit 1080p60 fairly easily by sacrificing many of the more demanding settings. It could still look nice and run well.

Maxed out, though? I doubt they'd hit even 30 fps.

Javin98

Banned
Yep. I think they could hit 1080p60 fairly easily by sacrificing many of the more demanding settings. It could still look nice and run well.

Are you talking about Crysis 3? If so, I agree. Turning shadows and shading down to high with the rest at very high should be enough to get the PS4 running at 1080p at close to locked 30FPS. But the PS4 should be able to run the first Crysis maxed out at 1080/60.

KKRT00

60fps? I dont think Jaguars can keep up with grass physics in 60fps even with low level optimization. Stock i5 2500k has hard time with 60fps in parts of levels with tons of grass.

stn

How about Crysis: Warhead? We still never got that released to consoles. I'd be down for a 1-3 + Warhead collection.

Chabbles

60 fps and lag free MP and I'm so fucking in. One of the best MPs that I played last gen

The multiplayer in C2 was alot of fun, but on consoles i'd never seen such terrible p2p servers. One person (the host) would have full green bar connection, and everyone else was on yellow/red, mostly red. It was laughably bad. If you became the host you became the terminator, otherwise you had no chance. C3 multiplayer on PC was a good laugh too, and it worked.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Warhead's alright, but the levels never felt as open as in Crysis.
The trade was worthwhile IMO, there's select levels in Crysis I enjoy replaying while I can and have happily blasted through Warhead many times.

Crysis does have my favourite level in the series, though, which was Assault. There's an alternate universe where Crytek used that level as a foundation for the rest of the series and ascended into godhood.
I have a strange affection for Crysis 2. One of the few fps games I really enjoyed. But since I have it on PC (plus Maldo's brilliant mod) I have no interest in a PS4 port.
Nothing strange about liking Crysis 2. I can think of very few better shooter campaigns in recent years.

I'm not too familiar with PS4 streaming but wouldn't the listing come up as "Playroom" then instead of "Crysis 2". Is that text entry something the user can set?

Yes you're right. The name can't be changed. Crisis 2 isn't even on ps now as well which means this guy was definitely running crisis 2 on ps4.

Vitor711

I like Crysis 2. Like a fair bit actually.

Crysis 3 was gorgeous but by far the worst of the three. At least 2 was good at providing multiple routes within their areas, 3 not so much.

Sure, it was smaller than 1, but compared to other shooters coming out at the time, Crysis 2 was still much more open-ended. Underrated game. Just clearly not as revolutionary as the first.

heyf00L

Yea if they were 'remastering' it they should throw some cash Maldo's way and use his textures.

iHDVTfPSf39zW.png

That's not how long lights cast shadows...that's now how glass casts shadows. Know your limits, and don't put those kinds of things in your games.

AU Tiger

Yea if they were 'remastering' it they should throw some cash Maldo's way and use his textures.

iHDVTfPSf39zW.png

ibafC191rDzOBV.png

ibd25FgWviygMX.png

ilRtN0At4gN0K.png

ibwdphxjhXRXh9.png

I thought the exact same thing. Maldo's work literally MADE that game into the game that crytek SHOULD have done in the first place. I can't believe I preordered that and got burned so badly after how awesome the first game was.

Crytek were clearly developing for the consoles and their "HD texture" update was a total joke.

AkuMifune

Banned
There were parts of Crysis 2 I really liked. Some of it was just terrible though.

Never played 3 but wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

For free on PS+.

I would actually want a remaster for Crysis. I played Crysis 2 MP heavy, shit was mad fun.

Crysis 3 MP was horrible though :l

Huh? They were quite similar. I could understand liking 2's better but loving it and hating 3's makes no sense to me.

If they can actually nail matchmaking I'd be very down for a remaster, but if it's a repeat of the shit they pulled for 2 and 3, the online population will be gone within a couple months.

Top Bottom