• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek is in crysis

I don't think official numbers were ever released but it was quite popular. I'd say it was 2nd to Halo in terms of FPS popularity on consoles.

I seem to remember an interview in a Gamecube magazine with FRD back in the day where they said TimeSplitters 2 did over 2m and Future Perfect was like 1.5m or something. Far worse performing games have got HD remasters, it's simply a case of Crytek being pretty terrible at managing their IPs.

I don't think official numbers were ever released but it was quite popular. I'd say it was 2nd to Halo in terms of FPS popularity on consoles.

TimeSplitters 1 did quite well due to being a PS2 launch title, but I'm pretty sure TS2 underperformed and that's why Eidos dropped it, and Future Perfect also disappointed for EA as well. I seriously doubt it was ever the second most popular FPS on consoles when Medal of Honour existed.

and that's why Eidos dropped it, and Future Perfect also disappointed for EA as well.

Eidos didn't drop it, FRD went with EA for Future Perfect, but then Goldeneye Rogue Agent got announced and they lost all interest in promoting TS:FP. There are multiple interviews from FRD staff members about their grievances with EA.

Eidos didn't drop it, FRD went with EA for Future Perfect, but then Goldeneye Rogue Agent got announced and they lost all interest in promoting TS:FP. There are multiple interviews from FRD staff members about their grievances with EA.

I will have to take your word for it. I recall reading that TS2 was below Eidos' expectations, but it's obviously been about 14-15 years so I may be misremembering.

Harlequin

I hope Hunt can revive Crytek :\

Honestly, based on all the stories we've heard over the years, maybe it'd just be best if Crytek finally died. I mean, the place is apparently totally mismanaged, doesn't seem to have a particularly good work environment and every other year you hear reports about workers not getting paid for long stretches of time.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Timesplitters was incredibly popular at the time, but without any releases in, what, 12 years(?), it's value as a brand has long-faded.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
MS please take advantage of this horrible situation and hire/buy a lot of their talent. I am ready for a proper Ryse sequel!

I wish they'd just buy them outright.

Gives them studios, IPs and their own engine that their other studios can use.

Wouldn't be their worst purchase.

To german Gaffers; What is the state of german game development at this time and software in general? Is software (and games) a category that germans are strong in compared to the rest of Europe? I don't know too many german dev houses besides Crytek!

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I wish they'd just buy them outright.

Gives them studios, IPs and their own engine that their other studios can use.

Wouldn't be their worst purchase.

Yeah, with some decent structure and some funding it could work nicely for them. Especially if they can continue to develop and sell CryEngine.

Kasper

To german Gaffers; What is the state of german game development at this time and software in general? Is software (and games) a category that germans are strong in compared to the rest of Europe? I don't know too many german dev houses besides Crytek!

There are quite a few larger German developers around still. To name a few off the top of my head:

Kalypso Media - developer/publisher, has two inhouse studios making things like the Dungeons series and publishes the Tropico series
King Art Games - The Book of Unwritten Tales, among other things
Deck13 - Lords of the Fallen, The Surge, Ankh series
Daedalic Entertainment - developer/publisher, made their name with adventure games and has recently started dabbling in other genres as well
Blue Byte - two Ubisoft studios, known for the two series Anno and The Settlers
Yager Development - Spec Ops: The Line and Dreadnought
TopWare - developer/publisher, has a few inhouse studios, though I am not sure if it's just one of them or all of them that's based in Poland. Their biggest IP is probably the Two Worlds series
Piranha Bytes - Gothic, Risen, upcoming ELEX

I'm sure there's more studios, but those are the ones that immediately came to mind.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Shame they didn't do a Crysis 4 and go back to their roots of Crysis. Hunt game isn't my cup of tea as it appears to have no story mode campaign.

Yeah, Crytek was best as a single player experience. I didn't like a single multiplayer mode they made and the F2P move was doomed from the start. Then they moved to VR, which was even crazier. And now multiplayer only. It's like they never learn from their mistakes. Just build a new Crysis, a new Ryse or a new Far Cry. Give it a different name if you must. Do a Crysis Trilogy Remaster. The management of Crytek is just a complete failure.

trugc

They claim in their financial report that their Warface deal with Mail.ru worth double-digit million dollar, should keep them afloat for at least a year or two.

Top Bottom