• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Culdcept Revolt |OT| Heart of the Cards

Regiruler

I'm available for online this weekend if anybody wants to play.

FC is 2148-8142-3681. Preferably no Sleeping Gods, I only started cracking salvation.

galvatron

Just played my first random online match...

At the start of signing into the beginner lobby, I couldn't pick more than half of my decks. I pick the only random deck I have aside from the starter and just get going. Miraculously, I only had to wait about 2 minutes for a 3 player match. I got some lucky draws early on and cracked a level 3 land I landed on with Fire Beak's penetrate/critical. That player really never recovers and got bankrupted 3 times by the end of the game...Everyone starts fighting over the square with creature moves and looks like we're all trading territory and having fun. I'm giving thumbs up anytime someone takes my land...I get some money and pour it into a green spot with a cactus on it. Then I draw a kelpie and realize I should probably buff my one blue property and swap out a lizard man. This deck was made before I even had storm shields, but I figure kelpie collects once or twice, no harm done. I get all the way to one away from the gate with about 8000 magic and the other player finally beats the kelpie with a random roll of spectre robe.

We're about even now at 6500 or so.. Next turn bankrupt guy decides to hop directly onto the other player's 700G property despite having other options and hands the other person the game with handshake and smile emoji spam from the other 2.

I'm not so much mad as I am thinking this game might be a little too up to chance to bother playing with randoms I'll never meet again. Trolling and nonsense with friends could be fun, but why spend however long that was trying to play well when you're 2 random events away from people deciding to "blue shell" you just because they can?

EDIT: Tried another game and won. Then I waited a long time so I went to the normal lobby and when people showed up it ended somewhat like the first game. Leading against a guy with a lot of blue cards I've never seen before until the players combined to make me lose a max level land through paralysis from one then moving an S rarity blue card with 90 attack in to take the land from the other on the turn before I reached the goal. At least this one just seemed coincidental rather than collusion or spite.

BTA

Hey guys. Just wanted to thank you guys for telling me about this game (...that I admittedly still haven't played because of my backlog for other things); it seems rad and I'm looking forward to digging in.

You can quote this for my contact info if a Discord forms, or something. I'd like to play against some of y'all if I can.

Newk86

How long does it take to play to the point that you can download DLC? I want to make use of my free DLC code while I have it, but the thing is I have like three other games that I hope to get around to playing before this one.

And then once you have the DLC, is it possible to restart the game again? Or are there multiple save files? Thanks.

Regiruler

How long does it take to play to the point that you can download DLC? I want to make use of my free DLC code while I have it, but the thing is I have like three other games that I hope to get around to playing before this one.

And then once you have the DLC, is it possible to restart the game again? Or are there multiple save files? Thanks.
Two to three hours maybe? There's only one file and you would probably lose the DLC if you reset it.

TwiztidElf

It's niche threads about obscure games like this that brought me to GAF in the first place, and the reason I'm staying.

I'm not invested enough to join Culdcept Central, and none of the other forums I visited over the weekend (shudder) had an active Culdcept thread.

Newk86

Two to three hours maybe? There's only one file and you would probably lose the DLC if you reset it.

Okay I can handle that. My next thought then is if this game saves to the cartridge or not. I'm figuring that if it saves to the SD card instead then I can just chuck the cartridge in my old 3DS in 6 months time to replay the intro again if I need a refresh.

If not, then oh well. Happy to support such a unique game getting a miracle western physical release on a dying system, and hopefully I can get around to playing it (properly) sooner rather than later.

UCBooties

I'm pretty bad at this game. I get an early lead often in matches but just get chewed up in the mid game. Even with prioritizing chains i just cant seem to hold onto territory. Once I've started slipping it's only a matter of time before I land on a built up space and lose everything.

Regiruler

I'm pretty bad at this game. I get an early lead often in matches but just get chewed up in the mid game. Even with prioritizing chains i just cant seem to hold onto territory. Once I've started slipping it's only a matter of time before I land on a built up space and lose everything.
Maybe change to an offensive book? Granted, some of the best offensive cards like Dead Warlord and Armed Paladin are a ways in.

For what its worth, even when I'm playing defensive books I tend to only get the lead late. My signature Air/Water items book being the exception.

shaowebb

There are a couple of tactics to try to add weight to your defenses. I have an issue of just drawing too few quality armors. By quality I mean things with neutralize in the description. What I'm doing to stay defendable is I have some cards with immunities to other cards like Cait Sith and Migoal out there. Additionally I use offense sometimes by using first attack cards and weapons. My final tactic is some really really beefy defense creatures like walls that I can just plain swap out for.

It can be a struggle till your deck tightens up in card options to build better decks around a duplicates of certain cards, but it gets easier and these are nice tricks to get you by when it starts to get rough.

Dingens

completely missed the OT...
I've played the first Culdcept on 3DS for years, bought the second one the day the localisation was announced... and haven't touched it once. And now I still haven't bought the localized version for some reason.
I should probably get around to it soon though

Regiruler

Legendary Pharos is one interesting card. I've stuffed it in my primary Neutral book for now but it's cool enough to build a deck around when I get enough copies.

Regiruler

Instead of creating our own discord server I would probably just recommend going on the culdcept central server. Bound to have a bit more activity.

shaowebb

Faster paced. Easier to keep from goin broke on long boards. Easier to utilize cards and to level territory and much more aggressive at times. Kelpie/Old Willow are still great vs AI but still vulnerable to experienced players who know how to hang onto magic bolts, or proper card combos with scrolls or whatever.

Story is one of their best if not the best. Much longer than other Culdcepts and the amount of additional content and weekly continuing content is very impressive. We've seriously been getting new maps every other week since launch on top of all the older japanese dlc content being up for us already at launch. Plus its easier to get the sorts of cards you want these days since you are mainly rewarded in GP and can spend on the types of packs focused on what you need like spells, items, or certain colored cards.

Overall...I'd say it might be the best overall Culdcept in terms of total package. I still adore the older ones like Saga and the PS2 remake on the Japan only 3ds but I'd be hard pressed to tell you which one is my favorite. Revolt is easily a top tier even if it doesn't replace your favorite though. That much I can guarantee.

I finished the second 'proper' chapter (the one with 15 stages and 5 story stages) a few weeks ago. Need to get back into this.

I enjoy playing it but I do feel that in the four player games you're at the mercy of too many factors that aren't under your control. Must be less frustrating playing online with others rather than the AI.

Top Bottom