• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead New Bosses and Shop Gameplay Revealed

This isn't a 2016 release anymore, is it

Nothing announced regarding a launch date at E3.

It says 2016 on their homepage.

Some of the screens are just ridiculous looking:
iTiEs5D.jpg

rbTYNyL.jpg

It says 2016 on their homepage.

That's been on their site since E3 2015.

Since they said nothing regarding the release date at this E3, I'm not getting my hopes up for a 2016 release anymore.

Or maybe they're going the Playdead route and they'll announce the launch date like two weeks before it goes live. I'd be fine with that.

Heck, I'm fine with a 2017 date. I just hope they give us the heads-up if that's going to be the case. I've been dying to play this for over two years now.

I thought we heard they stayed back from E3 to really keep crunching and grinding the game out to hit their launch?

Didn't hear that. If true, that's reassuring.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is the game I most want but won't buy. It looks *glorious* but I can't do boss rush and it'd just frustrate me. Maybe with a heavy discount just to marvel at the graphics

Memory

This is the game I most want but won't buy. It looks *glorious* but I can't do boss rush and it'd just frustrate me. Maybe with a heavy discount just to marvel at the graphics

? They delayed it to turn it into a platformer, there's a video of gameplay that was posted a couple weeks back.

ffvorax

I don't get the hype for this game... it has an original and well made artistic direction... but what else? Bosses fight like in any sidescroller platform?
I just don't get it... :\

Castle Crasher looked much more funny even just by the trailers...

Artanisix

I don't get the hype for this game... it has an original and well made artistic direction... but what else? Bosses fight like in any sidescroller platform?

some of us are into gunstar-heroes-esque boss rushes

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

Well it's not the same genre for one.

And then it looks like a competent boss based run & gun, it's not like there's a lot of games like that coming out. So if you like the genre, there's a good chance you're looking forward to it.

This is the only game I have ever regretted not owning an Xbone for. I'm a Mac user too, no PC. (Macbook HDD to small to set up a Windows partition).

It looks absolutely incredible.

I just don't get it... :

Castle Crashers plays (and looks) like shit compared to this. Cuphead doesn't play like every other platformers. It plays more like the great run and gun boss fights from classic Treasure games like Alien Soldier.

Gameplay is more technical than you might think, with dashes, parries and supers besides the jumping and shooting and bosses that have multiple forms and tons of attacks they mix up.

It was my favorite game at Gamescom last year by far.

Also, they've added platform stages, not changed the game into one. Bosses are still the meat of the game and thank God for that, as they're brilliant.

If the platforming doesn't feel tacked on and the bosses won't be nerfed, this could be a GotY contender for me.

So looking forward to this,i know they changed it from just a boss rush to add more platforming elements,which really pleased me.

Cannot wait

Teeth

This is the only game I have ever regretted not owning an Xbone for. I'm a Mac user too, no PC. (Macbook HDD to small to set up a Windows partition).

It looks absolutely incredible.

We're looking into having a Mac version. It won't be at launch, but there's a good chance we'll make one.

And we were at E3, playable levels and all.

Wow, a platformer and a shump!? Sing me up. Thankfully this is also coming to PC :)

Reading about the history of the game is quite interesting. The inspiration of the main character comes from a 1936 Japanese propagana video where an evil Mickey attacks Japan... specifically this character:

p3wcu1v.png

Youtube @ 5:13

This game is absurdly good looking. The art design and the animation alike.

It feels like I've been waiting forever to play it, though.

MrBadger

We're looking into having a Mac version. It won't be at launch, but there's a good chance we'll make one.

And we were at E3, playable levels and all.

As a mac user with little interest in Xbox One exclusives besides this game, it's fantastic to hear this is being looked into

Teeth

Crunching is never reassuring. Also, in reality we do know they were at E3.

Crunching is reality. It's not like we have some publisher overlords holding our jobs over our heads. It's our money, our game, our decision to put everything we can into it.

Also, pretty much everyone works from home, so no one is sleeping at an office and clogging their arteries on pizza.

Crunching is never reassuring. Also, in reality we do know they were at E3.

I knew the game was at E3, but until the dev just popped in this thread and said the team also was, I was unaware.

I wish Teeth could confirm whether or not this game is still on track for 2016 but I can understand if he's not allowed to comment.

Teeth

I knew the game was at E3, but until the dev just popped in this thread and said the team also was, I was unaware.

I wish Teeth could confirm whether or not this game is still on track for 2016 but I can understand if he's not allowed to comment.

The team wasn't there, just one of the animators (who lives in LA). I can see how it was confusing...when I say "we" in the "we were there", I'm referring to the "we" of "the game as representation". It's weird, sorry.

On track for 2016 as far as I know.

Strootman

The team wasn't there, just one of the animators (who lives in LA). I can see how it was confusing...when I say "we" in the "we were there", I'm referring to the "we" of "the game as representation". It's weird, sorry.

On track for 2016 as far as I know.
Choo choo.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

This kind of feels like the opposite of what I feel when looking at games like "N++" or "Thomas Was Alone". They take the time to have solid gameplay that people love, but they look really boring from an artistic standpoint. Characterization and animation are some of my favorite things in games, so to almost have none of either just seems deplorable to me.

But that's why you have to dig deeper. Most games that garner attention deserve that much, even if it's not ones genre of choice.

Cuphead offers dynamic difficulty for it's main attraction, which is a solid feature I wish more games did off the bat. Making bosses easier or harder isn't just about changing damage values; it's about changing shot patterns, adding unique forms, and giving one more reason to use the deeper mechanics as the game gets harder. Talk about a way to make successive plays more interesting!

Character / gameplay wise, you have a variety of special attacks (Big beams, Hadoukens, more) as well as special dodge / defensive skills (such as your dash turning into a ninja-like teleport) that allow you to adjust your style. There's also the Parry attack (Double jump off Pink bullets) that lets you counter attack with the enemies bullets. This parry-like thing is also used to try and catch the soul of a dead partner in co-op, to keep them from flying away and losing their life. So even if it's simple on the outside, it's got layers of depth beneath the initially obvious.

Also, it's more than just "well made artistic direction"; you can have that and still make limited assets, poor animations, and few actual characters. Cuphead treats every boss and bad guy almost like it's own game onto itself. This MIGHT be lessened a bit by the inclusion of the platform stages, but the main stars of the show all feature a level of refinement to their "boss rushes" that many games don't even dare to attempt.

As "bosses", we've seen flying stages, multi-tiered, scrolling, or multi-stage, all with an attempt to give the details like projectiles, minions, and locations their own original sprites and characters. It's not a game with, say, 3 bosses that get color swaps and accessories to make them "new".

There's just something nice about a product focusing on doing a small set of things right.
To me, it's those that get much more long-term play, rather than Modern Beauty games that are only worth a single run, due to being produced in a way that make them little more than "this years model". You only be a handful of such games per generation.

HotHamBoy

As a fan of classic animation, I am blown away by how good this looks and period-accurate it is.

Which is why the fade effects and projectile movement really bothers me. It's far too smooth in contrast with the rest of the animation and it breaks the immersion.

Otherwise, stunning.

Honestly. The sidescrolling part in the beginning of the new footage reminded me of Contra.
But maybe that's only because they are somersaulting in their jumps.

DerZuhälter;208082730 said:
Honestly. The sidescrolling part in the beginning of the new footage reminded me of Contra.
But maybe that's only because they are somersaulting in their jumps.

Yeah, it's probably more Contra than Mario.

Which is a good thing. :)

Top Bottom