• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cursed Mountain (Wii) - Anyone heard of this?

Threi

notag
A new reveal a-la the Conduit, or PC shovelware i never heard of?

anyways im pretty sure this is one of IGN's promised "dark" games, and we will see how this plays out.

"With a fresh setting, gloomy atmosphere and the innovative use of the Wii controls, Cursed Mountain will deliver a unique, terrifying game play experience," said Hannes Seifert, Managing Director at the Deep Silver development studio. "Deep Silver is confident that Cursed Mountain will help to further establish our international presence, and help expand the survival horror game genre on the Wii platform."

An original survival horror IP for the Wii from a random western developer that actually seems to have potential?
Sounds good to me.

ivysaur12

Banned
According to Seifert, Deep Silver is about 25 people strong, but because the game is being developed across multiple companies -- Sproing Interactive, Rabcat, Perspective Studios and more -- the team working on Cursed Mountain is actually comprised of more than 140 people. The title is scheduled for release next year.

Interesting.

Will wait for screens.

Haunted

Deep Silver is a pretty well-known publishing house in Germany. No idea what their dev studio is like, though.

edit: 140 people? woah.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Arde5643 said:
So they're the next High Voltage for the Wii? Sounds like a good plan.

They're the backup High Voltage, in the case Conduit and Animals de le Muerte should fail.

Threi said:
Hype?

what hype?
Well, a top story on ign Wii when the game is vaporware at this point is hype, but that's more on IGN than the devs, Matt C. and co. are probably desperately scrounging for any piece of news they can grab just to have something new to put up for the rest of the year.

fresquito

GitarooMan said:
Well, a top story on ign Wii when the game is vaporware at this point is hype, but that's more on IGN than the devs, Matt C. and co. are probably desperately scrounging for any piece of news they can grab just to have something new to put up for the rest of the year.
That's fine and dandy, but they did this for The Conduit and it turned to be the fave Wii game on E3 for most publications. There wasn't much of a serious rival that was playable, but you can't really blame IGN for giving these devs a space.

In fact I much apreaciatte Matt's effort, instead of the usual "give the top story to the richest publisher". I wish more publications had the balls to go this route.

fresquito said:
That's fine and dandy, but they did this for The Conduit and it turned to be the fave Wii game on E3 for most publications. There wasn't much of a serious rival that was playable, but you can't really blame IGN for giving these devs a space.

In fact I much apreaciatte Matt's effort, instead of the usual "give the top story to the richest publisher". I wish more publications had the balls to go this route.
If I recall correctly, the Conduit had screens and even an engine video when it was first revealed so this is not similar at all.

fresquito said:

I wouldn't really call it balls (there is no way a story from a bigger publisher would have been trumped by this, if there was one) but it`s nice to have IGN give smaller devs the spotlight.

fresquito

GitarooMan said:
If I recall correctly, the Conduit had screens and even an engine video when it was first revealed so this is not similar at all.
Well, we don't know what kind of material Deep Silver showed IGN, but probably more than what's been published. However, the same kind of comments were raised back then, even with screens. Can't we wait before doing blood of Cursed Mountain or IGN?

DeaconKnowledge said:
I wouldn't really call it balls (there is no way a story from a bigger publisher would have been trumped by this, if there was one) but it`s nice to have IGN give smaller devs the spotlight.
I'm thinking they waited for a slow day to publish this as the top story. In fact, you could argue that the MotionPlus demo is bigger than this. However, most big publications, won't give this kind of chance to small devs, be it slow or fast day news. But yes, I agree with you.

Haunted

I hate IGN as much as the next guy, but at this early stage speculating in either direction is pretty pointless.

Let's just hope this is the next The Conduit instead of Sadness. :)

Deep Silver is a pretty big and reputable publishing house with a palpable track record.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
GitarooMan said:

I don't think it's appropriate to label this game as "vaporware." This is its first reveal--it's not as if they've been talking about it forever without showing anything of value. If we still haven't seen anything in, say, a year, then we can call it vaporware.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Is it just me, or does the name Cursed Mountain sound like the name of a cheesy, horror themed amusement park ride?
That was my initial reaction. But I've learned to not judge games on their terrible names.

The title, set in the late 1980s, follows an experienced climber who sets out to scale a huge mountain in the Himalayas in order to find his recently-lost brother. According to Deep Silver, "As he ascends the mountain, he encounters an ancient curse: the souls of the people who died in that region are stuck in limbo, caught in the Shadow World." Players must content with villagers, pilgrims, mountaineers, Buddhist monks

Oh my, now THIS is serious, finally. Hope it delivers.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
If accurate, isn't 140 people working on a Wii amongst the largest dev teams for Wii game yet?

BishopLamont said:
Buddhist Monks?

DAY 1.

Hope it's not going to be a shame, about both climbers and buddist monks. The value of this experience is going to depend on how much serious they're going to be on that. They simply can't make something like this with a "Dead Space" approach.

olubode said:
If accurate, isn't 140 people working on a Wii amongst the largest dev teams for Wii game yet?

it's just that they told how many people are involved including the outsourcing.Usually noone tells how much is outsourced and to whom.

Mdk7

I have... and someone who knows A LOT about this told me months ago to look forward to it, claiming that the graphics are going to be impressive.
Can't wait to see more! :D

Mdk7 said:
I have... and someone who knows A LOT about this told me months ago to look forward to it, claiming that the graphics are going to be impressive.
Can't wait to see more! :D

Good to know. In case that this so called "NewDeal"-Theory will arise, maybe this dev and High Voltage will be the winners of the generation :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
Wasn't Panzer Tactics DS supposed to be good? Or am I thinking of something else?

And a developer doing only shovelware doesn't really phase me. They have to pay the bills, and someone has to make that crap.

Top Bottom