• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

ProtagonistZero

Neo Member
Protagonist, Fusionedd, thank you so much for the kind words. Personally, I can see several flaws, but i wont point them out :p

also, those eden covers are gorgeous! especially the whale

Just looking at those covers makes me wish I still had every game in the collection, just so I could proudly display them. They're some of the best work I've seen on this thread. Not that everyone doesn't do beautiful work.

Keep it up, and I look forward to your future work. Perhaps something for Darksiders 2, since I hope to hang on to that for a while. :)

kitsunisan

Neo Member
The left & right sides of the Child of Eden images will get cut off when I stick them on the 360 template.

That's the problem with 360 and PC boxes, there's a lot of HD wallpapers that aren't the right dimensions to fit. That's when you have to get a bit creative.

I couldn't do anything with the photon whales(that's what I call them, whales made of light), the logo in the corner kind of dictated the placement. But with the others I had a bit more freedom. I used Photoshop to extend the tops and bottoms some, actually creating more of the image so I kept the amount lost on the sides to a minimum.
I'm a bit unsure about how the fifth one will print, I did a lot of work with the smudge tool to smooth things out. There may be a bit of streaking at the bottom. If there's any problems with it let me know.

Deschain

Neo Member
This one is very nice, I really liked this cover. One of my fav. games this gen as well.

reddeadredemption360_3skav.png

Mithos

Forgot all about the spine, I'll fix that up tonight.

I've got the collector's edition of Mass Effect 3, and I'm sure I'm going to break the disk taking it out of there so I made a cover for it. Someone else had this idea for a wallpaper, I changed it up a bit to fit a cover. triggercini at Deviantart did the render of Femshep. No idea why I tried the barcode, but it'snot on the download.

Have it made for PS3 maybe?

Alright. Got a Wii U template for you guys.

wii-u-box-line-up.png

As you can see above, it includes:
  • The full package design with a white or yellow stripe.
  • Minimal design with blue bars only.
  • Extreme minimal design with only logos.
The full original design I modified comes from Preetard on Deviantart, awesome work.

Download the template: Here

Also, there's something a little weird I want to see if we can get fixed.

I tried to use the script converter for the Xbox 360 box for the Wii U box. I modified the template by changing the color of the box, but after I did that, some of the script was skipped and there is no shine on the front of the box. I assumed changing the color of an element wouldn't disrupt the script, but I guess it does.

Rengoku, if you're still around here, do you think you could help us out with a 3D Wii U box converter?

xJavonta

Banned
It kind of sucks, but here's my first custom case. Made it for Persona 3 FES, there's no PS3 logo because I hate having logos on cases and I'll be playing the game in an emulator anyway. Also, I used the PS3 box because I really like how small they are.

Persona 3 FES
click image to download from mediafire.

ThatGuyKnownAsT

Neo Member
Hey all. First timer here. Made these awhile back before I was accepted to NeoGaf and now I can finally post them here. Hope you all enjoy them!

Banjo-Kazooie:Nuts & Bolts (XB360)

Sonic Generations [Checkerboard] (PS3)

Sonic Generations [Green Hill] (PS3)

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)

xJavonta

Banned
So how can I print these without photoshop or other fancy tools? Will regular picture viewer printing options suffice?
Yeah, but you'd be better off going to OfficeMax or Kinkos and getting them printed on higher quality paper with higher quality printers. My laser printer doesn't do as well of a job as OfficeMax's does.

ProtagonistZero

Neo Member
Hey all. First timer here. Made these awhile back before I was accepted to NeoGaf and now I can finally post them here. Hope you all enjoy them!

Banjo-Kazooie:Nuts & Bolts (XB360)

Sonic Generations [Checkerboard] (PS3)

Sonic Generations [Green Hill] (PS3)

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)

Your Uncharted covers are awesome. Any chance we could get an Uncharted 1 cover also?

Arla

I'd just like to thank you guys for all the hard work. There is some really cool work here. Fall semester is about to start and there is an office depot on my route to school. Perfect timing to finally print these out.

Mikeside

Wow, you're very talented, sir

Would love to see you do Uncharted 1 to complete the collection there, other than that, these make me sad because pretty much all my games are DD these days... maybe I'll use these covers in some kind of game collection manager when I get around to cataloging my collection :)

Bearpowers

Neo Member
What would be the best way to make these?

I currently lack a printer but I'm willing to spend a decent chunk of change on a high quality printer if it will benefit making these.

Also any specific ink/paper for best results?

I want the print quality to be equal or greater than the official ones.

Yeah, but you'd be better off going to OfficeMax or Kinkos and getting them printed on higher quality paper with higher quality printers. My laser printer doesn't do as well of a job as OfficeMax's does.
Thank you. What do I do, bring a flash drive? Memory stick? Or email them the pic? I want the AC line ASAP. Beautiful stuff. Going to browse the thread for others. I kind of wish there was a catalogue of everything neatly contained like that game art thread.

xJavonta

Banned
Thank you. What do I do, bring a flash drive? Memory stick? Or email them the pic? I want the AC line ASAP. Beautiful stuff. Going to browse the thread for others. I kind of wish there was a catalogue of everything neatly contained like that game art thread.
I prefer to use a flash drive or some sort of external storage device. The few times I emailed them stuff there was always issues with the sizing. I think it's around $.69 a page or something really close to that.

ThatGuyKnownAsT

Neo Member
Wow, you're very talented, sir

Would love to see you do Uncharted 1 to complete the collection there, other than that, these make me sad because pretty much all my games are DD these days... maybe I'll use these covers in some kind of game collection manager when I get around to cataloging my collection :)

Your Uncharted covers are awesome. Any chance we could get an Uncharted 1 cover also?

Thank you kindly. The two I made were inspired by this one, and thus I consider that the first.

xJavonta

Banned
Ok, since no one else was going to do it, I figured I should give making a 3DS template a shot. :p I used ImNotSteven's Cave Story box as a base for this, so thanks for that! (Beautiful box, by the way)

If you have any suggestions feel free to tell me. Also feel free to add on to it and make it better.

Link to the template: Here

Now that we got that out of the way, I made a couple of Kid Icarus covers with it.

Minimal banners

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TheCongressman1/Art/kid-icarus-cover-minimal-display.png

Download:Here

Normal banners

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TheCongressman1/Art/kid-icarus-cover-normal-display.png

Download:Here
Is that the actual template or did you mis-link it?

I'd love to make a few 3DS cases

Edit: nevermind, decided to make one from the Kid Icarus case you posted

Hey, I don't meant to be a jerk, but I have a small request if someone can help me out. I recently bought Infinite Space for the DS, used, and I have an extra box, but can't find the official box art anywhere for an insert. If one of you guys could point me in the right direction or gin up a decent one quickly (I don't wanna be a bother) I'd really appreciate it.

Alternatively, how do I make it? I downloaded the template and can't figure out a way to get an image onto it. The tutorial says just drag the image onto the psd file but I can't.

EDIT: The tutorial in the OP really isn't useful at all for someone who's never used photoshop. I have no idea how to complete any of the steps =\

xJavonta

Banned
Hey, I don't meant to be a jerk, but I have a small request if someone can help me out. I recently bought Infinite Space for the DS, used, and I have an extra box, but can't find the official box art anywhere for an insert. If one of you guys could point me in the right direction or gin up a decent one quickly (I don't wanna be a bother) I'd really appreciate it.

Alternatively, how do I make it? I downloaded the template and can't figure out a way to get an image onto it. The tutorial says just drag the image onto the psd file but I can't.

EDIT: The tutorial in the OP really isn't useful at all for someone who's never used photoshop. I have no idea how to complete any of the steps =
I use file-> place to put an image into photoshop. That's how I was taught.

I use file-> place to put an image into photoshop. That's how I was taught.

Yeah, in between the last post and this one I figured it out, one thing I don't get is how are you guys getting all the sick logos for the spines? And laying them on top without the original image clipping through it or whatever.

I also have a second, more important question. I don't have a printer so I have to go to a print shop to do it, where all I can assume they have is MSpaint. How can I be sure that the size will be correct? Will picking landscape and A4 paper settings be enough as long as I make sure the image isn't stretched?

xJavonta

Banned
Yeah, in between the last post and this one I figured it out, one thing I don't get is how are you guys getting all the sick logos for the spines? And laying them on top without the original image clipping through it or whatever.

I also have a second, more important question. I don't have a printer so I have to go to a print shop to do it, where all I can assume they have is MSpaint. How can I be sure that the size will be correct? Will picking landscape and A4 paper settings be enough as long as I make sure the image isn't stretched?

For the first one, I usually use this tool that I think is called the magnetic lasso or the magic wand. I'm not sure what it's called but I grab the logo's out of the image with that and paste them in as a new layer. That way I don't get the original art on the spine as well.

I'm not a Photoshop wizard or anything close to that, everything I've learned has been through experimentation in my Advertising class. Just try out the tools and you'll start to get the basics down quickly.

As for the second question, Print Shops usually have a variety of software, including Photoshop since it's like an industry standard. You don't even need Photoshop if you're just printing though, just save the file as a .png or .jpeg (File->Save for Web and Devices) and print it out from there. As for printing, the clerk should be able to help you with that.

Niks

This is one of the best threads in all the history of neogaf.
Thanks to all that have contributed to it in some form.

Is that the actual template or did you mis-link it?

I'd love to make a few 3DS cases

Edit: nevermind, decided to make one from the Kid Icarus case you posted

Oh shoot, sorry man. I miss-linked it. I'll get that fixed right now.

Also, I need some help guys! I had some problems trying to get some stuff printed today.

At a local print shop I tried to get two covers done, I even told him they were for video game cases so they would be the same size as a dvd case. He said that was fine, but when the guy looked at my files he said "So, did you want this as a poster, or what? These are going to come out about 30 by 40 inches." I of course repeated myself "No, they need to be the size of a dvd cover." He then said it just wasn't the right size...

I made these covers straight from the templates that are on the front page. Did I miss a step and not resize it, is he in the wrong job, or what? I thought they should just be able to print them like that.

HYDE

Banned
Will someone with amazing skills please make me an official looking Metroid Prime Trilogy box art, so that I can get rid of this shitty tin case that disgraces my white Wii game cases.

PLEASE I will love you forever and display your work if you succeed. I have this picture, but it comes out terribly low resolution, etc, etc...

PLEASE make me an official looking one someone awesome (just like this but high resolution).

Metroid-Prime-Trilogy-2010-Ntsc-Front-Cover-47334.jpg

Will someone with amazing skills please make me an official looking Metroid Prime Trilogy box art, so that I can get rid of this shitty tin case that disgraces my white Wii game cases.

PLEASE I will love you forever and display your work if you succeed. I have this picture, but it comes out terribly low resolution, etc, etc...

PLEASE make me an official looking one someone awesome (just like this but high resolution).

Metroid-Prime-Trilogy-2010-Ntsc-Front-Cover-47334.jpg

If I make you one, will you send me your tin case in return? lol

but seriously.

Top Bottom