• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cut cable for PlayStation Vue, very pleased

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Perhaps this is an OT topic, but let's not get bogged down with such minor details.

In an effort to save money, and because I hate cable companies, I cancelled my cable about a month ago and have been using Playstation Vue ever since. My bill before was north of $180 a month for cable/internet for 2 TVs (grr cable box rental fees), and now it's about $95 a month, so it was cut in half.

Before I made the switch, my GF and I made a list of all the channels we watch. Surprisingly, the $50 Vue package had almost all the channels we watch - Food Network, Bravo, TNT, Comedy Central, etc. The biggest omissions were, of course, ESPN and ABC, but I know deals have been reached with Disney and those channels are coming... eventually.... sometimes soon... I hope.

Anyway, after a month, I have to say, I'm very pleased with the service. One of my biggest concerns was speed - how fast would the channels "tune in" when changing channels? Well, the answer is, pretty damn fast, about a second. And that's whether you are putting on a live show or a show that had aired last week. The channel menu is pretty intuitive and we had no problem finding our favorite shows. The DVR feature works as you would expect. We have our added our favorite shows to the "Favorite" system and it automatically records them without issue.

Picture quality is good - no complaints. Someone can probably do an analysis of the flaws of the image quality, but if so, I can't tell. Seems similar to my fios I had for years. There hasn't been any connection issues or pauses or other issues. Once you tune into a show, it's just like normal cable.

It's nice not paying the silly cable company fees, and all I needed to put it on my second TV was a firestick (which I have but have not set it up yet for Vue).

The main con to the service is that you are still paying $50 a month - so it's not "cheap", but it's "cheaper" - half the cost for me (albeit, less channels, but then again, channels I didn't watch). If the channel lineup doesn't satisfy you, then it probably is not a good alternative to cable. Also, it's only available in a few cities, so that's obviously an issue.

I am still waiting for ESPN/ABC, so it's best to have alternate means to watch those channels if you need them. For ABC, I just have a basic old OTA antenna which works perfectly. For ESPN... you might be SOL :)

finalflame

Gold Member
I shared the same experience. Got a voucher for $39.99 Vue at PSX, for the tier that's usually $59.99, and the experience is vastly superior to cable. Not only that, but they sent me a free Fire Stick, which serves as a Vue device on my room TV.

Vue is great, for anyone thinking about cutting the cord. Oh, it also helps that I don't give a single flying fuck about sports and ESPN.

Justinh

Yeah, I got rid of cable when I moved out of the house me and some friends were renting back in 2009.

The only thing that I want to watch on TV is like Metalocalypse (RiP), The Venture Bros, and Archer. I've just bought the seasons on xbox when they start and the current episode usually will be available to watch the next day. I guess Amazon would probably be better since it'd be available on more of my devices.

I don't watch sports anymore though, so that might not work for everyone. I guess I could hook up this antenna I have, but I'm not too motivated.

MrBenchmark

I've had VUE since the beginning. There was a time when it was really unreliable. Especially on PS3 which it's still shit slow on! But thank god they added firetv support that is how I use it and it's awesome ps4 works ok too.

1) ABC is free over the air as an HD channel. You don't have to wait for anything. Go to Target or Amazon and get a $40 antenna.

2) You don't have to rent from your cable company. Just buy a router and a modem and you're good to go. No more rental fees and both are likely to last a while and save you money.

edit: Haven't had cable for ~6 years now, only thing I miss are Sabres games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It is currently in Miami, and when it comes to Central Florida, I am strongly considering this. I have not had or watched cable really in over 10 years. Mostly due to the lousy cable packages that either have no features/channels for lower price, or not worth the bloated price to get what you need/want.

I just noticed adding individual channels and packages also apply a discount with PS+, which is even more of an incentive.

I also read on the site, you can make your 'home location' anywhere you move and still use the service. However it appears you need to be in the current areas it is offered in at the moment to start it.

daveo42

Banned
Wish this was offered in more areas as I would kill for a good cable service without being stuck with something like TWC. I'll try it out if it ever comes to my area.

Schrade

I would really love to see an indepth review of the quality on the streams.

Like.. what resolution, what bitrate, what's the artifacting like, etc.

commish

1) ABC is free over the air as an HD channel. You don't have to wait for anything. Go to Target or Amazon and get a $40 antenna.

2) You don't have to rent from your cable company. Just buy a router and a modem and you're good to go. No more rental fees and both are likely to last a while and save you money.

edit: Haven't had cable for ~6 years now, only thing I miss are Sabres games.

FWIW, Vue has local games, at least in NYC, as an upgraded package.

Agreed re: 1 & 2.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This is a city-by-city thing in the US. It's a shame. Almost criminal how cable companies won't allow this to expand fast. If you don't live in the biggest cities in America, you don't matter.

Thanks for the answer. So it's a US only thing. That's a shame.

FWIW, Vue has local games, at least in NYC, as an upgraded package.

Agreed re: 1 & 2.

That's cool on the local games however I'm not interested in picking up a new monthly fee :p

I work long hours during Jan - April so I would be missing a lot of games anyway, I just listen to it on the radio.

LJ11

I recently looked at my bill because it's getting out of hand, just reached 190 with a land line (should just dump it). But rental fees and taxes add about $60 bucks to my bill.

commish

$180 for two TV's.....what did you have every channel available? That's a lot

I did have a lot of channels, but we just didn't watch 95% of those channels. And you also have to keep in mind all the extra fees - paying for each cable box, the modem (I think...), all the stupid video and regulatory fees, dvr, etc etc. It all adds up pretty fast. I think my 2 cable boxes alone were 25 a month.

I recently looked at my bill because it's getting out of hand, just reached 190 with a land line (should just dump it). But rental fees and taxes add about $60 bucks to my bill.

Yeah, exactly. All those bullshit fees. Those made me the most angry.

LJ11

Yeah, exactly. All those bullshit fees. Those made me the most angry.

When I had Directv a decade ago I also had cable, I signed up for DTV mainly for the NFL Sunday Ticket. Comparing the two bills was laughable. Better channel lineup with DTV and the monthly fee was about $40, basically no taxes/fees/rental garbage. Both services were priced the same, except you get hit with a million fee/taxes with cable. DTV was great, but I eventually dumped it in favor cable. Now I just pay for a VPN and buy the international NFL Gamepass for $100 bucks.

The issue I have getting rid of Comcast is the Internet. Where I live it's the only fast option and it's cheaper to get the Internet /TV cable bundle. The US needs more competition in this market

ckohler

At the rate it's releasing, it'll be available in my city by 2024 or something which sucks because I really want this.

I would really love to see an indepth review of the quality on the streams.

Like.. what resolution, what bitrate, what's the artifacting like, etc.

Me too. Also, what is the delay like versus standard cable?

MrBenchmark

The issue I have getting rid of Comcast is the Internet. Where I live it's the only fast option and it's cheaper to get the Internet /TV cable bundle. The US needs more competition in this market
I still have Comcast for Internet only too I just don't rent their modem. Pay 100 buck a month though for extreme 105 but where I live no cap.

commish

At the rate it's releasing, it'll be available in my city by 2024 or something which sucks because I really want this.

Me too. Also, what is the delay like versus standard cable?

If you mean the delay in changing channels, it's almost exactly the same. I would say about 1 second?

Da_Bears

Neo Member

This. If I do not bundle, my internet goes up 20 bucks a month.
Cannot get Vue. Looked into Dish and DirecTV and by the time you add in the cost of the extra boxes for the TV's, we are back at cable pricing.

The Goat

Cut cable out 5-6 years ago, and have never looked back. Between Netflix, Amazon and OTA TV, there's not a lot of reason to have cable these days.

drotahorror

You don't need cable boxes for cable tv anymore? They use routers?? I've only used satellite for the past dozen years so I wouldn't know but my family and friends have cable boxes. Never heard of using a modem to get cable tv but I'm sure times have changed.

OP mentioned cable box rental fees is why I'm wondering if you may have just misunderstood or misread.

lt519

In an effort to save money, and because I hate cable companies

You and me both, along with wireless carriers too. I've gone to great lengths to ditch them both (directly). I'm a proud customer of Cricket and Earthlink. Quite possibly the only person in the world with that combo.

Glad VUE is a good option if I ever want TV back. HD antenna is good for now though.

Cutwolf

Jesus, I forgot that Vue is $64.99 for the top package.

If there are savings there, we've gotta be talking $5 or $10 a month.

I totally wish I could get this... But Comcast is a bitch so... :(

I only watch Cartoon Network for the most part and some here and there channels. No more than 10. Plus Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. I really don't need the rest and I want this so bad.

commish

If you check out what the difference is between the packages, it seems the most expensive package really isn't worth the extra $$ at all.

gamz

Cut cable out 5-6 years ago, and have never looked back. Between Netflix, Amazon and OTA TV, there's not a lot of reason to have cable these days.

Same. Subscribe to mlb.tv foe my Cubs games. Haven't missed it a bit. But lately my Internet rates keep rising. Bastards

Only thing keeping me to DirecTV is ESPN and local live sports.

With that being said my bill is only $58 a month. So looks like I'm ahead of the game...

Nafai1123

Banned
I've had Vue since it's was offered in the Bay Area. I like it for the most part, but yeah can't wait for them to get ESPN.

I pay $145 for two boxes, modem and 300Mbps. Telephone was part of package and service was cheaper as a result. I have been wondering how the service was.

Good post.

Toki767

At PSX they were giving out voucher codes for a year the top tier Vue package for $40/month.

I never did use it, but I was always tempted to.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Had it for a few months for the NFL Playoffs and was very pleased with it. Rarely had an issue and even my GF was using it often. I got rid off it after the super bowl though cause i really don't need cable during off season.

Ocelott

They are fucking up cause its been the same cities for a while now. I would glad cut down now since they offer Vue on the Fire Stick

ascii42

This is a city-by-city thing in the US. It's a shame. Almost criminal how cable companies won't allow this to expand fast. If you don't live in the biggest cities in America, you don't matter.

Wouldn't the local networks be a big factor? Since they have to get the feed for every city they expand into? I can get those through my antennae, so I wished they'd allow me to at least be able to get the other channels.

If nothing else, I'd save some from being more easily able to drop and renew as I see fit. Wouldn't need ESPN between the NCAA Basketball tournament and college football starting, for example.

Top Bottom