• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: The Cult of Kaz Hirai. GAF members interviewed.

TCRS

Banned
I don't see what the big deal is. Yeah it's sort of worship but that's just because of the PS4 hype. It's harmless fun. *shrug*

Cheech

Is this supposed to be ironic? Kaz Hirai is in the process of destroying Sony's gaming business. The fall from the PS2 days was the worst console stumble since Atari went from the 2600 to the 5200.

Vita? PSP Go? Wonderbook? PS Move?

Guy should be fired, not idolized.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
As usual the internet does tend to run humorous things into the ground and then after doing so takes it too far. It went from awesome jokes and gifs to actual fanboy worship like with Iwata, and that bothers me.

You should be bothered by real life important things, not some GAF fun.

That's all it is. Part of the hype train and that's why we're all here. It's all in good fun.

Tripolygon

Banned
PS3 launches 2006 and there's been very few kazified gif up until a few weeks ago when Sony announces their next gen event and then we have tons of kaz gifs.

yea I'm gonna go ahead and say this has nothing to do with people worshiping kaz and more to do with the next PlayStation being announced. There's never been a thread dedicated to kazified gifs ever.

Shame on you all for ruining a good fun leading up to the event. The problem is not why people are kazifying gif and avatars, the problem is why isnt everyone doing it. The "new generation" is about to start and only a hand full of people aren't afraid of showing excitement via kaz gifs.

To your defense my argument with you wasn't with the first post I quoted you on, but it was on the posts building up to it, the following in particular and the bolded.

That was the very first thing that caught my eye, and I'm afraid I found your tone very selfish and arrogant.

You are simply expressing your dislike of something that is clearly bringing a group of people together, sharing laughs and having fun. If that's annoying you, simply do not go into that thread, it's unfortunate that you may think you still can get some other value out of that thread and the gifs are holding you back. But there's no reason to generalize the purpose, or the lack of, of the Kaz gifs. Right? What you find useless may put a smile on someone else's face.

I was nodding my head in agreement until your second paragraph.

To dislike something doesn't automatically put that person in the other camp as you put it.I find the Kaz gifs to be annoying and serving no purpose, this doesn't automatically mean I am not looking forward to the press event nor does it mean I am hoping it will be a failure.

That's a terrible assumption on your part. To tar everyone who doesn't like the gifs with the same brush. It's offensive.

You even go ahead and acknowledge that you were being "overzealous" with your tone in a post right after that. (sorry I'm on an iPhone and going back pages and copying and pasting quotes is a juggling act.)

So reading all of your posts in the last three pages (which I just did now) more or less, after other people pointing it out to you, you (halfway) came into terms and realized you were sounding a bit arrogant and yes...overzealous. Guess I was just late to the argument.

Apologies.

As usual the internet does tend to run humorous things into the ground and then after doing so takes it too far. It went from awesome jokes and gifs to actual fanboy worship like with Iwata, and that bothers me.

Yep. Whether they were meant to be or not some of them quotes in the article sound kind of gross. I thought most of the Kaz gifs were just snowballing with each person trying to out funny the last. Didn't think there was any sort of reverence there.

Sulla1980

Yep. Whether they were meant to be or not some of them quotes in the article sound kind of gross. I thought most of the Kaz gifs were just snowballing with each person trying to out funny the last. Didn't think there was any sort of reverence there.

Agreed. The gifs seemed fine - sometimes annoying, but done in fun. Some of those quotes seemed a little much, though.

whitehawk

Banned
Lol, my gif made the article but not my interview answers. My answers were a lot less serious though. For one of them I just talked about how fun it was and how it improves my Photoshop skills.

nib95

Banned
You sound like that conference thread is something to be proud about.

One of the greatest threads GAF has ever produced if you ask me. That much funny rarely exists all in one thread.

You are very bad at reading these things if you think there's no idolization going on here.

I'm one of the people who made some of the shops and GIF's, there's no idolisation to it. I barely have much of an opinion on the guy. I did it for a laugh, to show off some photoshop talent on something light hearted, and because I like what I've read so far about the PS4/Orbis (i.e. am pretty hyped).

I'd also hazard a guess that many of the people responsible for the epic GIF's just did it for a laugh, and to get some recognition for their GIF talents. Probably could have been anyone involved in the meme, just happened to be Kaz because they are hyped for the PS4 reveal, and he's heavily linked to the brand.

Lol, my gif made the article but not my interview answers. My answers were a lot less serious though. For one of them I just talked about how fun it was and how it improves my Photoshop skills.

That's basically what I said too, and my shop made it but not my interview :p

It's just groupthink. Forum behavior, having fun with something that people feel like they're 'in' on.
Now I know how Kpop and Gaga GAF feels like.
You do realize you having fun and improving your Photoshop skills (a.k.a. The boring truth) does not bring hits to CVG right?

Forkball

The one thing I dislike about the Kazification of GAF is that one guy who has Evilore's icon with Kaz's face. It always makes me do a double take and it hurts my eyes.

DaBoss

The quotes are bit too much, imo. I think Kaz is a cool guy I guess, but I don't see him as anything more than that.

The one thing I dislike about the Kazification of GAF is that one guy who has Evilore's icon with Kaz's face. It always makes me do a double take and it hurts my eyes.

Haha, same.

lol I know, that was only one of my answers though.

Should've answered, every Friday afternoon, after making Kaz gifs, I play a little PSOne classics on my PS3....then I go to my local farm, pick up a live goat, drive it back to the city, take it up the elevator to my 400 square foot apartment, slaughter it facing East, in the middle of my living room, draw a Playstation sign with the its blood on my forehead, then turn and pray to Kaz's shrine above my bed.

I hate when people try to turn something fun into something serious. The thread is just people having fun to pass the time with a random meme.

To your defense my argument with you wasn't with the first post I quoted you on, but it was on the posts building up to it, the following in particular and the bolded.

That was the very first thing that caught my eye, and I'm afraid I found your tone very selfish and arrogant.

You are simply expressing your dislike of something that is clearly bringing a group of people together, sharing laughs and having fun. If that's annoying you, simply do not go into that thread, it's unfortunate that you may think you still can get some other value out of that thread and the gifs are holding you back. But there's no reason to generalize the purpose, or the lack of, of the Kaz gifs. Right? What you find useless may put a smile on someone else's face.

You even go ahead and acknowledge that you were being "overzealous" with your tone in a post right after that. (sorry I'm on an iPhone and going back pages and copying and pasting quotes is a juggling act.)

So reading all of your posts in the last three pages (which I just did now) more or less, after other people pointing it out to you, you (halfway) came into terms and realized you were sounding a bit arrogant and yes...overzealous. Guess I was just late to the argument.

Apologies.

I disagree with a large part of your post, but in the spirit of ending this and moving on, I accept your apology and I hope you'll accept mine for coming as dismissive toward you and your posts.

I hate when people try to turn something fun into something serious. The thread is just people having fun to pass the time with a random meme.

CVG. I respected that publication for PCZone, which exposed me to the awesomeness that is Charlie Brooker. Now its desperately seeking hits by making fun of gamers having a little fun.

"cult of kaz" my ass

TrutaS

This interpretation must come from somebody with no sense of humor. This article makes me sad really, almost (but not quite) gives a bittersweet taste to the meeting thread.

I disagree with a large part of your post, but in the spirit of ending this and moving on, I accept your apology and I hope you'll accept mine for coming as dismissive toward you and your posts.

Winning or losing a trivial internet argument is not my end goal here. Just trying to show you the perspective of others, anyway... I think I've done my part. Internet shake hands.

Needs Kazification
508641_o.gif

Also, I doubt any of us who participated actually idolize Kaz. Remain calm, we are still normal peeps.

Strife91

Oh, come on. GAF is known for it's spectacular gifs across the board. Beyond that, people are excited for the next gen on a gaming forum and we are just having a great time with it.

I'm sure a lot of you are, but if definitely believe there are a lot of closet fanboys on GAF.

SykoTech

I thought it was all just harmless fun. The facial expressions Kaz has available have a lot more attention han the other guys, and it was a nice way to pass the time.

This gif has the potential to becoming the most epic backfire ever.

Haha, yeah. Though it will be hard to backfire more than this gif did:

nintendo-5th-element-cafe-console-1307371793t.gif

Oh the irony.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm sure a lot of you are, but if definitely believe there are a lot of closet fanboys on GAF.

I believe there are for each system on every gaming forum on the internet. No reason not to have fun yourself, though. It's the start of a new generation and people are naturally excited.

Codeblue

Where has CVG been? The internet creates personalities for otherwise boring game executives all the time and hardly anyone starts believe them in earnest. Kotick is the devil, Reggie will break you in two, Ueda and Sakurai are immortals. The only person that may have built their reputation without internet shenanigans is Yamauchi simply because every story we hear of the guy is insane.

gdt

Is it really fair to classify it as "something of a Hirai shrine"?

A shrine implies there is some sort of deification or worshiping going on; most of these gifs are a meme, mostly used to poke fun at the dude.

Yeah...umm the article isn't self aware at all. Its just a funny meme.

It did get a little obsessive but it's a forum. There are tons of people here, so to say it's like a 'cult' is stretching. I think most that made them or participated in the thread were just having fun. They weren't posted to spite others like in the GT5 vs Forza thread and they weren't distracting from any 'real' conversation like KZ gifs or "my body is ready" type posts.

I thought a vast majority of them were pretty hilarious and it helps with the hype of a huge reveal.

This is a HUGE deal in the gaming industry and the gaming industry happens to be one of my top interests/hobbies as well as others here. I would have made some gifs if I was any good at it.

While it could easily turn into something less 'fun', I don't think it will, but sometimes people take things very seriously.

Vinci

Danish
"When's that damn meeting already? Oh. Later. Well, lets do a story to take advantage of it. I don't know, some sort of... random shit that happens to connect to it. TO GAF!"

That's exactly what this story is, IMO.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm just dreading seeing the Mattrick gifs when it's MS's turn to announce. Then it'll be obvious that you guys are just going through the motions, because 'memes!' I can't see anyone giving attention to the man.

Top Bottom