• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: The Cult of Kaz Hirai. GAF members interviewed.

mantidor

I thought it was all just harmless fun. The facial expressions Kaz has available have a lot more attention han the other guys, and it was a nice way to pass the time.

Haha, yeah. Though it will be hard to backfire more than this gif did:

nintendo-5th-element-cafe-console-1307371793t.gif

Oh the irony.

I always thought that gif was made with irony in mind to begin with.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kaz Hirai is pretty damn lame. It's sad when that's the best figurehead you have at Sony. And Microsoft's is even worse.

I don't know why there isn't a Cult of Iwata. He is infinitely more likeable and worthy of cult status.
Yoshida is better than either of them, but here's the thing: Kaz is a character. It makes sense to use him on these crazy gifs. None of the others really are.

Also, you have to have been living under the rock if you don't think there's a cult of Iwata anyway. Bombzal Droppen rings any bells?

Gadirok

Loads of butthurt Nintendo/MS fanboys in this thread.

This.

Iwata has no personality and Reggie is just a spokesperson. Looks like half the things he says are never his own, and have been controversial more than once. Hes as dull as tretton.

And just like the dozens of Iwata gifs I used to see along with Reggie photoshops, its all mindless fun.

Someone else does it, and suddenly theres controversy.

SykoTech

It definitely wasn't completely serious, of course. But a lot of people during the time felt that Nintendo was truly going to capture a ton of 3rd party support and a large portion of the hadcore crowd. Granted, that could have just been the hypetrain talking and the Wii U hasn't been out too long. But it's still funny to look back on.

Zeroth

I thought it was all just harmless fun. The facial expressions Kaz has available have a lot more attention han the other guys, and it was a nice way to pass the time.

Haha, yeah. Though it will be hard to backfire more than this gif did:

nintendo-5th-element-cafe-console-1307371793t.gif

Oh the irony.

I always thought that was a sarcastic GIF. Because... well, you know.

we are killing time with little to go buy, that is all. And it's new console wars launch year at that.

GDC and E3 threads will give us plenty of war gifs

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I always thought that was a sarcastic GIF. Because... well, you know.
Sadly it either wasn't or that no one took it as a joke.
Anyone who took that gif as anything but tongue-in-cheek at its finest was deluded. It's the same exact case for the gif in the OP. I'd be willing to bet heavy that PS4 will indeed have some unpleasant features and let downs in terms of software.

For the rational, these releases are all about having fun and enjoying the meltdowns. So I guess we should all be grateful there are plebs who eat up everything and treat all the hype as gospel. Without all you fools this kind of thing wouldn't be nearly as entertaining!

Thanks console warriors! :D

Liamario

Banned
Any gifs I made were just for fun. That's it. There was no hidden anger at *insert company here*.
If you think any of the gifs were malicious or some other such nonsense, you should probably take a look at yourself rather than the gif makers.

Azure J

We're not seriously turning this into NintendoHypeGAF versus SonyHypeGAF are we? I fucking love both sects far to much to pick a side. :lol

Furthermore, this is all done in good fun just like the Iwata/Reggie stuff for Nintendo hype. I don't know why there has to be any deeper meaning to it all and can;t just be a band of GAFheads dicking around in excitement.

todahawk

Yeah of course it's all tongue in cheek, I mean the guy is a suit at the end of the day, if he could improve Sony profits by screwing all of us then no doubt he'd do it in a heart beat.

I don't know the guy but some people in the business world do consider the long term. Screwed customers are not future customers... Exhibit A: Gearbox Interactive

G-Fex

I honestly don't remember who the guy was in everybody's avatar. I guess that makes me a terrible gaming poster.

Cyborg

Kaz is a hero, I home he can make Sony and Playstation a profitable organisation again and I hope in this proces he doesnt forget GAMERS who supported him over the years.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm just dreading seeing the Mattrick gifs when it's MS's turn to announce. Then it'll be obvious that you guys are just going through the motions, because 'memes!' I can't see anyone giving attention to the man.
It would be fair and balanced if that happened but it would be a forced meme and Millhouse, I mean Mattick, isn't a meme.

zoukka

It has to be said that kazifying is not any different than what's been done with Iwata and Reggie. Hell crazy Ken had the best material before all of them...

Game journalism just exposes these phenomenas and uses them to get publicity and attention. You can make a story about game forum thread about animated gifa nowadays...

Corto

I'd be willing to bet heavy that PS4 will indeed have some unpleasant features and let downs in terms of software.

Don't need to bet, it's a certainty. These kind of devices are always limited in some capacity. There are always compromises and some users will find some of those compromises enough to complain about and others will be ok to ignore them and enjoy the device features in spite of its shortcomings. Nothing new there.

That thread is amazing simply because it's people having stupid fun like a good old GAF photoshop thread. I don't think people are worshiping him, though the "one of us" sentiment is kind of stretching it. Plus, they announced the meeting so far in advance that when it became a GIF thread people didn't complain because it's not like there was any new news there for days.

artist

Banned
The amount of sillyness and butthurt is insane. I talked to a few MS/Nintendo loyals and they're afraid of entering the PS Meeting thread because of the Kazification .. (I even assured them it's all in fun and it's not a console war chant going on but still they dont believe me)

Mindlog

I have the cure for next-gen absurdity.
Wait for it.

trimount-tower-sensors.jpg

Yup. Your fancy home-theater setups are going to be super-classy.

apana

This cult of personality stuff is usually associated with Nintendo fans so it has been kind of strange to see Sony fans doing it recently. Perhaps it is just the natural evolution of a fanbase? Regardless it is hard to determine when it goes from being just fun to being annoying. I think it wouldn't be a bad thing if people cooled it with these gifs. I like this stuff to the extent that it gets us to talk about the business strategies and personalities involved, it gets annoying when it goes towards the console war side of things. I think people should exercise a little restraint. The quality of the forum is going to go down if there are too many sensitive fans interested in advocating for their side and celebrating instead of having a discussion.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Eh... the kaz stuff was just in good fun. Next gen console about to be revealed, so far mostly positive buzz... it's just a joke.

Lighten up folks.

Valkyria

Banned
I find amusing how so many people it's getting angry about all this. They even hope for the worst just because, oh man.

I can put up with fanboys, if someone really likes games they don't care about platforms just the games. So people, grow up and start enjoying games, no machines.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I don't think in the .gif makers case it was. But for people that haven't been "drinking the Nintendo Kool-aid" for like... 2-4 generations, you knew half that .gif wasn't going to happen and found it to be black comedy.

But now that the Wii U is flopping hard, it's just straight up comedy.

Anyway, the "Kaz"-ing up of gifs was so bad it wasn't really funny to me. Slapping his face onto .gifs and can't really "animate" to where it just feels forced doesn't work for me. Same with most Bish ban .gifs.

Angry Fork

I do personally think Kaz cares about hardcore gamers, and knows what they want, being at Playstation since the beginning and being responsible for so many great studios/IP's I think that's what sets him apart from most others. I don't like Iwata, I don't know why I just get creepy shareholder-appeasing vibes from him.

Nobody is being deified, worshipped, abused or made the subject of a mean joke. Its the definition of doing something for the lols

This.

Sometimes the internet doesn't understand jokes and then everything is ruined. People are really excited/hyped for PS4 so they do this kaz thing just as a way for people to laugh/joke around until the announcement.

Yoshida is an even better personality though, if anything the 'cult' should be wrapped around him for being honest all the time and running his own twitter.

Kazmaster Flex better show up with results tonight. I think if the PS4 ends up being a good product (I'm sure it will be), we won't have to worry about this meme backfiring.

I did mention to them that we were doing it just for a laugh. But they didn't use that part of my quote.

Still, I don't think people are taking it too seriously :p

sleepykyo

I have the cure for next-gen absurdity.
Wait for it.

trimount-tower-sensors.jpg

Yup. Your fancy home-theater setups are going to be super-classy.

That kind of scares me.

spaceodyssey.gif

I'm just dreading seeing the Mattrick gifs when it's MS's turn to announce. Then it'll be obvious that you guys are just going through the motions, because 'memes!' I can't see anyone giving attention to the man.

Don't even think we'll see that many. There was a Kojima gif and everyone else went back to using Allards, Molydeux, etc. The guy just isn't as giffable as Kaz, Iwata, Reggie.

Respawn

Banned
So many Debbie Downers lol. Just enjoy it. Some of you really need to worry about why you're so serious for something as harmless as these gif montages.
Its Kaz day to shine it will be someone else another time.

J-Rzez

Was this the first time that person from CVG came to GAF or something?

People were having fun, big deal, wanna fight about it?

Top Bottom