• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D&D: Shadow Over Mystara & Tower Of Doom Announced! (PSN/XBLA) [And Steam???]

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I will do no such thing.

Not buying this.

You want a game that supports 4 player co-op locked away in an app where you have to buy credits to play games

rather than as a standalone release that will more than likely support widescreen and drop in/out co-op over netplay.

I don't get it

Tizoc

^It also wouldn't mean much, heck when you start up the game just imagine/pretend the CAC intro plays then you've select the D&D games and presto.

Holy crap.. HOLY CRAP. Day one! Online, please! Don't you dare pull a Scott Pilgrim on us, Capcom!

They...won't, I mean why would they? Final Fight had online co-op.

Speaking of which, the Arcade Cabinet Games have online co-op don't they?

Tain

Would it have been feasible for Arcade Cabinet to be built in a way that it can have constant core updates to allow it to emulate new and different types of hardware? Maybe on PS3, but I doubt it on Live.

Arcade Cabinet is great, but it's clear from the start that it's a very focused 15-20 game bundle, not a platform.

Tizoc

Would it have been feasible for Arcade Cabinet to be built in a way that it can have constant core updates to allow it to emulate new and different types of hardware? Maybe on PS3, but I doubt it on Live.

Arcade Cabinet is great, but it's clear from the start that it's a very focused 15-20 game bundle, not a platform.

Treat the current releases as being part of Vol. 1, next batch can be Vol. 2.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It's a shame Capcom hates the Vita. There's a serious drought of classics on the system (maybe some day we'll emulate a Vita emulating a PSP collection of emulated Genesis games).

Oh well, at least we have Dragon's Crown coming. George Kamitani loves us!

DoubleTap

It's a shame Capcom hates the Vita. There's a serious drought of classics on the system (maybe some day we'll emulate a Vita emulating a PSP collection of emulated Genesis games).

Oh well, at least we have Dragon's Crown coming. George Kamitani loves us!

???
Both PSP Capcom collections are playable on Vita. Excellent versions of Knights of the Round, Captain Commando and King of Dragons included.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
???
Both PSP Capcom collections are playable on Vita. Excellent versions of Knights of the Round, Captain Commando and King of Dragons included.
As I 'joked' in the parenthesis, I know that the PSP has classic collections. It's just a shame none were done specifically through the Vita (like recent SEGA Heritage Collections).

daevv

I'll be getting both on day 1. Loved the old style Knights of the Round game. Hoping this is similar.

AD&D 2nd edition for life!

Pretty sure these were based on regular D&D

It's also funny how "bad" the characters' stats are. I guess they weren't concerned with min/maxing or the stats have no bearing upon gameplay whatsoever:

fighterProfileHalf.gif

ezekial45

Banned
If they can get Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, AVP, Battle Circuit, and Captain Commando out as well, then they've earned my undying respect.

BTW, who's got the rights to Cadillacs and Dinosaurs?

If they can get Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, AVP, Battle Circuit, and Captain Commando out as well, then they've earned my undying respect.

BTW, who's got the rights to Cadillacs and Dinosaurs?
Battle Circuit and Captain Commando should be the next double release.

People just don't know how good Battle Circuit is. THEY DON'T KNOW.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!

HOLY GODDAMN PISS SHIT.

I can't believe Capcom's doing this... hopefully, Backbone will remain uninvolved.

But uh... yeah. This is so bought. And if they release any other beat-em-ups from the CPS-1 or CPS-2 era, or Warzard, I'll buy those, too. I don't even care how much they charge.

Hightower

Banned
Wow... never thought I'd see a licensed Capcom beat em up released....

I am ALLLLLLL over this. The Saturn collection is just too much money for what they are.

Pretty sure these were based on regular D&D

It's also funny how "bad" the characters' stats are. I guess they weren't concerned with min/maxing or the stats have no bearing upon gameplay whatsoever:

fighterProfileHalf.gif

I thought the stats went up during gameplay? my memory might be bad though.

Vamphuntr

Amazing. So bought. I'm shocked they actually decided to get the D&D license again for this.

This is making me hopeful that one day they might get a licensing deal for their NES Disney games so that we get them on 3DS VC/Wii U VC

I guess this game is under the old D&D philosophy where normal stats were supposed to be from 9-12. I think under more recent D&D rules they expect all your characters to be super heroes and to have their primary stats (strength for a fighter, dexterity for a thief, etc) to be in the 16-18 range. I think people tend to min-max a lot more now as well so this fighter character would either be rerolled completely or the person would make strength the 14, and 12 probably the constitution.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Never played the game but day 1 for me. Love games like golden axe and this seems similar enough with leveling as a bonus.

Never played the game but day 1 for me. Love games like golden axe and this seems similar enough with leveling as a bonus.

its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than golden axe. like comparing the NFL to little league ball.

not even hyperbole:

there are more classes to play, and the diversity between classes means that strategy plays a bigger part.
the game is somewhere around 5 times as long, with branching paths.
players can find and permanently equip different equipment during the game, and there are even elemental weapons, "secret" cursed items, etc
everyone has an inventory, so you can bust out arrows, oil flasks, magic items etc at will.
special skills all over the place, and not just of the "clear screen" variety. mages can teleport, clerics can "turn" undead, thieves pick locks, etc.

it's the best co-op arcade game ever made. i hope it gets a visual bump, that would be outstanding.

Endesu

Saw this by chance on Siliconera and got excited! Only ever got the chance to play Tower of Doom via MAME and it would be fantastic to play both legit with another person or two... or three.

AvP would also be a dream but the legalese for that is much harder to sort through than these two D&D games, I'd imagine!

OH MA GAWD

This is some amazing news. I never thought that I would actually be able to play these again outside of a Saturn.

Day 1, baby.

Saw this by chance on Siliconera and got excited! Only ever got the chance to play Tower of Doom via MUGEN and it would be fantastic to play both legit with another person or two... or three.

AvP would also be a dream but the legalese for that is much harder to sort through than these two D&D games, I'd imagine!

AVP is playable via mame (so is this) if you want to go that route- but yeah, the aliens license is still VERY active and likely expensive to license along with the predator one. I don't see that one happening, but you never know.

Gaspode_T

Such great news to wake up to

People went ape nuts when Guardian Heroes rerelease was announced but it didn't exactly set sales records...if you really want to support these re-releases, you have to speak with your wallet...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
AVP is playable via mame (so is this) if you want to go that route- but yeah, the aliens license is still VERY active and likely expensive to license along with the predator one. I don't see that one happening, but you never know.

On the upside, D&D getting licensed does bode fairly well for The Punisher and especially for Cadillacs & Dinosaurs... the latter definitely isn't a hot license these days... If a $5 premium is all they're asking for licensed titles, that's hardly unreasonable.

But man, CPS-2 games. They fuckin' rock, man.

fionel

This game made me skip countless classes back in university. Though I have burnt out on play it on MAME years ago and am also owning the collection on Saturn. I will get this day one.

The only flaws this game has to me is the large burning oil trick that everyone and their grandma use to kill bosses in seconds and how the hold-atk attack input (elf's somersault, fighter's lunge kick, etc) is too responsive. Hope they at least fix the latter.

Such great news to wake up to

People went ape nuts when Guardian Heroes rerelease was announced but it didn't exactly set sales records...if you really want to support these re-releases, you have to speak with your wallet...

GH was just on xbla. this one is for a wider audience. it will sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom