• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DaddyOFive loses custody of two of the children featured in his "prank" videos

Buckle

Pranks. Right.

Do they not think it makes them a sociopath as long as they film it?

"You know what? it feels great to instill fear and pain in other people, its a rush but theres all this guilt...wait, I got a great idea!"

Well I mean it sounds like the parents did a number on him, convincing him the Mother hated him, abandoned him, etc. I'm sure that can be collaborated because he said these things in front of others when they showed up to take him.

Not too mention, he lived with brothers. It's going to be hard for him not seeing them. The sister was the only girl that might explain why it was at least a little easier for her, that and she was older and probably didn't buy into the BS as much.

I can't even imagine going through all that. I remember hearing in one of the clips him saying "You all have always hated me" or something along the lines of him saying they never loved him. Just heart breaking.

rjinaz

I can't even imagine going through all that. I remember hearing in one of the clips him saying "You all have always hated me" or something along the lines of him saying they never loved him. Just heart breaking.

Yeah I mean they would literally tell him that in the videos. Even if they said "just a prank bro" after, that shit is going to stick with him. He also had to notice that he was picked on more than anybody else and in the cruelest of ways "(adoption prank, kicked out prank etc)

Yeah I mean they would literally tell him that in the videos. Even if they said "just a prank bro" after, that shit is going to stick with him. He also had to notice that he was picked on more than anybody else and in the cruelest of ways "(adoption prank, kicked out prank etc)

You're exactly right, he's still a child and those kind of hurtful things will just stay with him. I really do hope he will get the help he needs and he adapts. I know it'll be hard, but I can only hope that he will be ok :(

mreddie

This guy collected much more footage than defranco.

https://youtu.be/QOVrrL5KtsM

It's gut wrenching.

Saw the whole thing.

These are not pranks, this is fucked. Thank fuck the pressure from the public has come but how long was this channel running?

Shit, the little brother has marks of abuse and that shit alone should have raised flags.

It took a random Youtuber to show the public how fucked this is.

I also find funny the father is a fan of Batman. The fucking irony...

I don't know why I watched more. I just want to punch that fucking "father" in the face so bad.

Could you imagine being their lawyer and seeing these videos? I don't even know what you do other than hope to convince the jury/judge/whatever that it was all fake/staged.

Well at least the douchebag has made gathering evidence against him particularly easy having recorded and uploaded all his crimes to the Internet.

I don't know why I watched more. I just want to punch that fucking "father" in the face so bad.

Yep. I normally like to think that everyone is redeemable and I typically abhor vengeance and bloodlust but my protective instinct for that kid would not be averse to taking to Mike with a baseball bat while asking him why he's taking it so seriously and calling Mike bad for bleeding everywhere.

Media

Cody reminds me a lot of my youngest son in that he is sensitive and used to have melt downs. With careful work, I've been able to turn that around and he's a mostly happy, incredibly intelligent 12 year old.

I bawled watching these videos. That poor fucking kid. Every video he has New bruises and cuts and scrapes amd no one thought this might be abuse? Fuck those parents, and fuck their fans.

Cody reminds me a lot of my youngest son in that he is sensitive and used to have melt downs. With careful work, I've been able to turn that around and he's a mostly happy, incredibly intelligent 12 year old.

I bawled watching these videos. That poor fucking kid. Every video he has New bruises and cuts and scrapes amd no one thought this might be abuse? Fuck those parents, and fuck their fans.

1 million subscribers or something

Let that sink in

Never heard of this channel or their videos until today, but what horrible abhorrent "parents". Really hope they take steps to protect the children who remain under their care.

I also find YouTube's role in this pretty disgusting. They should have shut down his channel, and reported the family after the first signs of abuse, instead they have turned a blind eye whilst both themselves and the family profit from child abuse.

Man what the hell, all of this is so disturbing. |:

Not too surprised Keemstar's defending them, that guy's like one of the worst YTers out there.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Saw their little one Jake beating kids up on a school bus while everyone around them yelled "Stop it Jake" "What are you doing"

Heart wrenching. Little kid is already messed up.

Gattsu25

Banned
This has made it to the local news here in Baltimore, very happy for the two children who was removed. Baltuimore Sun reports that a custody hearing will be held on Friday, they also revealed the name of the crisis management firm that the Martin family hired, they also reported that Cody told his biological mother that the Martins told him that she "threw him away like garbage": http://www.baltimoresun.com/feature...be-michael-heather-martin-20170501-story.html
Hall stated that the initial reunion with her children was difficult.

“Cody had a difficult time when the officer brought him out to the car. He said some things that were disturbing, that he hated me and that Mike and Heather told him that I threw him away like he was garbage and I didn’t love him,” she said in the video.

“That wasn’t true at all.”
Fucking hell. That quote is heartbreaking.

Rorschach

I didn't know about this channel until this thread, so I clicked on the link in the article to this video. Holy shit. What they're doing to that kid Cody is atrocious. And then I saw the one where he makes his kids hit each other. Why didn't all the kids get taken away?

VariantX

This is really messed up on so many levels. The constant abuse of the children and the people who subscribe to it for entertainment. Glad there were some YouTube personalities who caught wind of this and called it out.

komplanen

How in the world has youtube not banned him already ?

Same reason they haven't banned many of the other shitheads, like Keemstar. I mean even the idiot's apology video got 1,7 million views and, advertisements or not, that's what Youtube wants.

jediyoshi

Same reason they haven't banned many of the other shitheads, like Keemstar. I mean even the idiot's apology video got 1,7 million views and, advertisements or not, that's what Youtube wants.

Keemstar is actively banned from YouTube, he'd gone through multiple channels with them being taken down as they went up.

Is youtube complicit if they host videos of clear child abuse that is going on for months/years or however long this was going on?

They are so fast to remove copyrighted material and have efficient algorithms to remove it, but child abuse is cool.

This has made it to the local news here in Baltimore, very happy for the two children who was removed. Baltuimore Sun reports that a custody hearing will be held on Friday, they also revealed the name of the crisis management firm that the Martin family hired, they also reported that Cody told his biological mother that the Martins told him that she "threw him away like garbage": http://www.baltimoresun.com/feature...be-michael-heather-martin-20170501-story.html

My god, the quotes from the son. If I was in the same situation as the Mom the rage that would induce would either give me a heart attack or turn me into a murderer. Thankfully I'm married to a decent human being and my kids will never experience anything like this. So many children aren't that lucky.

Is there something to ban? They removed / hid their own videos, except that apology one.

I'm not sure what banning a channel does on the hardware side of things, but I would think they have been asked to provide those videos to law enforcement agencies.

I have a 5-year old who's autistic and he's very sensitive and has meltdowns. Although as he's getting older and with therapy he is slowly getting better at managing his emotions. One of the most basic things as a parent is keeping in mind how old they are and not flip on them over stuff you did when you were their age.

The little bit of the videos I saw pissed me off to no end. Not just abusing your kid but abusing them because you think it's funny and then make money off YouTube ads???????

Clearos

I watched some of the videos last night (not like i needed much time to see how screwed up this is )

I can't pin point why this makes my blood boil but when the parents scream, that it is the "haters" that are ruining their pranks. I really just want to jump thru the tv and say no shit, because all your "likers" will let you get away with murder as long as they get their laughs in.

I hate that they try to defend their actions by some blanket statement that there is an army of "haters" that will try to stop them no matter what they did. Wrong is wrong.

I've only seen these from the h3h3 video
hope your balls grow back steve-o
. I think it's disgusting what they were doing to the children. I really felt sorry for the kid in the goggles. I can only imagine what torment they went through in previous videos/years.

It's just a prank brah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvoLmsXKkYM#t=165s

daddyofiveyrzad.jpg

This is the look of kids who fear their parents. You can also tell exactly which two kids are more scared and probably less liked. I don't even want to know what happened to them off camera.

Spladam

So this is the first I've heard of this channel and this "father". I could not finish watching the Nerd City video, and how the fuck did this guy have so many subs?

I would like an hour alone with this dude in a locked room. I know this is a dated sentiment, but he needs a healthy dose of the fears. That laugh he does when his kids suffer, he is a bully, and it got him attention and money.

I've done nothing.

Skynet can speak.

KSweeley

Huffington Post somehow got confirmation that CPS IS investigating the Martin family: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...4b05c3976849fd2?7pc&ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

05/03/2017
Parents Reportedly Lose Custody Of 2 Kids After YouTube ‘Pranks’
Mike and Heather Martin used their DaddyOFive account to post videos of the kids being screamed at and punished for things they didn’t do.

The parents behind a popular YouTube channel that showed them subjecting their five children to a series of questionable “pranks” have reportedly lost custody of two of their kids amid a child abuse investigation.

Maryland’s Frederick County Sheriff’s Office and Office of Child Protective Services are investigating Mike and Heather Martin, who gained internet fame for their DaddyOFive YouTube channel, authorities confirmed to HuffPost on Wednesday. The Baltimore County Police Department is reportedly conducting a separate investigation.

The videos show the Martins screaming profanities at their kids, breaking their toys as a “prank” and blaming them for things they didn’t do. Some show the kids being pushed, punched and slapped.

“Please keep in mind videos are fake and being acted out our videos are for entertainment purposes only no child was harmed in the making of our videos,” DaddyOFive’s YouTube page states.

The biological mother of the couple’s youngest two children, ages 9 and 11, announced Monday in a YouTube video on a separate account that she has been granted emergency custody of them.

Rose Hall, who lives in North Carolina, told the Baltimore Sun that she reunited with her children on Friday and that she hadn’t seen them since 2014 and 2015, respectively. Their reunion followed a tumultuous custody battle with Mike Martin, she told the paper.

In her video, Hall called the DaddyOFive series “heartbreaking” to watch.

As of Wednesday, the DaddyOFive channel had more than 762,000 subscribers. The videos of the “pranks” have all been removed, and only a video of the Martins tearfully apologizing remains. In that video, which has been viewed at least 2.2 million times since being posted on April 22, they say they’re attending family counseling.

When facing criticism for their videos in the past, the Martins denied abusing their kids and said the videos had been staged with their children’s consent. But they change their tune in this latest video, saying they “made some terrible parenting decisions.”

“This has been the absolute worst week of our life and we realize that we have made some terrible parenting decisions and we just want to make things right,” Heather Martin says.

“I do agree that we put things on the internet that should not be there,” Mike Martin adds. “We did do things that we should not do.”

Lev

You have to be a callous to constantly torture your children through verbal and physical harassment, especially to earn a quick buck. What abhorrent parents.

Dice//

Banned
How did he ever get a freakin 1 million sub is beyond me.

Defenders of it creep the hell out of me. I don't understand it.

My dad would sometimes scare me as a prank.... he wouldn't throw me against a bookshelf or make me slap my brother with everything I got.

That IS dysfunctional.

rjinaz

Defenders of it creep the hell out of me. I don't understand it.

My dad would sometimes scare me as a prank.... he wouldn't throw me against a bookshelf or make me slap my brother with everything I got.

That IS dysfunctional.

I bet he didn't tell you you were being adopted bringing you to hysterical tears, hiding in closets, under the bed, and then threaten to call the police on you if you didn't leave the house, either.

The guy got off on watching his kids suffer. That's all it was and he deserves to lose them, if he is even capable of feeling love towards them in the first place.

SOLDIER

Isn't he supposed to be appearing in court today (Friday)?

I want to keep following this story until his inevitable incarceration.

I'm also morbidly curious exactly how much he was making per year from all the subs.

Top Bottom