• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'DaddyOFive' YouTubers sentenced to five years probation for child neglect

KSweeley

Baltimore Sun reports that the couple behind the DaddyOFive YouTube channel has been sentenced to only 5 years of probation for child neglect, they will NOT be going to jail: http://www.baltimoresun.com/feature...dyofive-couple-sentencing-20170911-story.html

The couple behind the controversial “DaddyOFive” YouTube channel were sentenced to five years probation for charges of child neglect in Frederick County Circuit Court on Monday.

Michael and Heather Martin of Ijamsville entered Alford pleas to two counts of child neglect each — charges that stem from “prank” videos that caused a viral outcry from viewers who thought they amounted to child abuse. Under their Alford pleas, the Martins maintain their innocence while acknowledging that prosecutors have enough evidence to win a conviction.

Frederick County Assistant State’s Attorney Lindy Angel said that an investigation into the Martins began in April after “various sources” alerted the Frederick County Sheriff's Office to Michael Martin’s YouTube channel, “DaddyOFive.” In more than 300 now-deleted videos, the Martins were seen destroying an Xbox, and berating and cursing at two of their five children. In other videos, Michael Martin is seen pushing his son Cody Martin into a bookcase, giving him a bloody nose and ordering one of his stepsons to slap his daughter, Emma Martin, in what he deemed a game.

“It became correlated directly to the behavior and actions of the defendants, the Martins,” Angel said.

The couple’s three other kids — Heather Martin’s biological children and Michael Martin’s stepchildren — were not a part of the investigation.

The Martins received a five-year suspended sentence for each charge. Frederick County Circuit Court judge Theresa M. Adams ruled that, under the terms of the couple’s probation, the Martins could not have contact with Emma, Cody or the children’s biological mother, Rose Hall, unless permitted by a court. Adams also said the Martins cannot post video recordings or images of Emma and Cody to social media unless it is for legitimate family purposes, and that the couple should submit evaluations and adhere to mental health treatment as advised by their supervising agent.

McDougles

Imagine if they weren't white.

Hopefully, the whole "exploit your kids for YT bucks" trend dies off, but as parents of child movie stars have indicated for decades, fame is more important for some.

rgoulart

"In other videos, Michael Martin is seen pushing his son Cody Martin into a bookcase, giving him a bloody nose and ordering one of his stepsons to slap his daughter, Emma Martin, in what he deemed a game."

This is disturbing.

I just hope all five kids get the help they need and end up with loving, supportive families.

The system can't fail them again.

"In other videos, Michael Martin is seen pushing his son Cody Martin into a bookcase, giving him a bloody nose and ordering one of his stepsons to slap his daughter, Emma Martin, in what he deemed a game."

This is disturbing.

IT'S JUST A PRANK BRO!!!

Is probably what he said

Disgusting they don't get jail time absolute scum exploiting your children for YT money

5 years probation...

In more than 300 now-deleted videos, the Martins were seen destroying an Xbox, and berating and cursing at two of their five children. In other videos, Michael Martin is seen pushing his son Cody Martin into a bookcase, giving him a bloody nose and ordering one of his stepsons to slap his daughter, Emma Martin, in what he deemed a game.

5 years probation...

Disgusting they don't get jail time absolute scum exploiting your children for YT money

I mean, this isn't just "exploiting your children for YT money"
This is "A visual record of abusing your children"

blackflag

This is disturbing.

Yes, the videos are worse than that sentence sounds believe it or not. There was some physical abuse but there was some really nasty damaging mental abuse.

Like telling the family they are going to Disney World and then telling Cody he can't go because he's a bad kid..and actually not taking him.....just a prank bro.

This is disturbing.
Man the mental abuse in those videos is on another level. And thousands went to defend the shit.

Fred-87

why did nobody called the police who saw those video's. I dont understand. Or youtube banning them. I cant comprehend.

Google

I assume the lack of jail time is that the assumption is that the kids will suffer more with the parents in jail than with the parents at home with positive training, help, etc?

why did nobody called the police who saw those video's. I dont understand. Or youtube banning them. I cant comprehend.

People watching the videos and reporting it are the reason why at least Cody and Emma (is that her name?) aren't with that family anymore

Mathieran

Banned
Why were they charged with neglect? Sounds like it should have been abuse, unless there is no distinction in court of law?

riotous

Banned
As much as I think they deserve prison, I also think the kids, and their biological mother who has to care for them, also deserve child support. Which they wouldn't get if these 2 are in prison.

I STILL am weary of them not going to prison over this, but I imagine that aspect was partly why the judge gave them probation.

I won't defend the sentence, but I'm glad the state secured a swift conviction. The welfare of the abused children (not merely neglected, no matter what people may make of the charge sheet) is paramount.

Kinyou

Under their Alford pleas, the Martins maintain their innocence while acknowledging that prosecutors have enough evidence to win a conviction.
What innocence is there even to maintain? It's literally on video

ash321

5 years probation ?

And Youtube probably still let his channel up.

*check Youtube*
of fucking course, also he made a gaming channel.

Fuck this sob, and fuck youtube.

As I understand it, an Alford plea is a way to plead guilty while protesting innocence, and has two main uses. Firstly, the defendant can dodge a potentially damaging trial and proceed to sentencing. Secondly, by pleading guilty they can often avoid a more draconian sentence. Typically, I suppose, there would be a plea bargain in which the prosecution agrees not to press for the highest penalty that its evidence would support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alford_plea

I won't defend the sentence, but I'm glad the state secured a swift conviction. The welfare of the abused children (not merely neglected, no matter what people may make of the charge sheet) is paramount.

So it's better to be quick and wrong than to take time and get it right?

Kthulhu

I'm shocked they didn't get a harsher sentence. At least the kids are safe from them now.

Maybe one day they'll be able to be a normal family, but I just hope that those kids will be able to live a somewhat normal life. I can only imagine how this would affect then in the future. Esspecially if YouTube still exists in the coming decades.

So it's better to be quick and wrong than to take time and get it right?

It does rather look like that was at least part of the state's reasoning. I've already stated the contrary interpretation, which is that a swift conviction is in the interests of the children.

I also checked Maryland statutes, and astonishingly a charge of child abuse requires physical injury. Since the trauma inflicted was primarily emotional, it appears that child neglect is the correct charge in that state. By failing to provide for the children's emotional well-being, they committed the misdemeanour of child neglect.

I'm left feeling a little unclean to have turned over this particular rock. I imagine everyone else in this thread must feel the same or worse. The law is far less clear and unequivocal than I expected.

rjinaz

Those two got off easy. I suppose they were thinking of the other three kids that would end up in foster care but still..

Well at least the Dad won't be able to see his own kids for 5 years. Those two kids, Cody in particular, were put through hell while millions of people online laughed at him.

KSweeley

I wanted to see these two put in jail and the Adpocalypse of YouTube forces them to give up doing YouTube since their videos were/are monetized.

Aiii

So not worth it
The important part is that the kids are free and safe from these dumb fucks. I would have liked to have seen more punishment, but at least the kids are okay.

Cool that YouTube is allowing child abusers to continue uploading vids to the same dang channel that video evidence of child abuse was once uploaded to.

Randam

Cool that YouTube is allowing child abusers to continue uploading vids to the same dang channel that video evidence of child abuse was once uploaded to.
He still has his channel?

Srsly, what is wrong with the people running YouTube? This must have come to their attention.

Top Bottom