• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube "pranksters" Daddyofive deny abuse (Up: mom gets custody of two youngest)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alebrije

Are the authorities genuinely not going to look into this?

DSS4-f-kFsy0es6kQHVS1-iLSHzJimLyRsmAAoHC2a74Pk2kjJUvJ_I4JyiP9qeDSkGKUexaZHvHQo8RQtjapknERNnd6IiianXY4oQ-A4o4LQ=w360-h203-nc

The saddest thing about all this is the kids are probably already fucked in the head now, and that shit is incredibly hard to fix/heal. I'm honestly on the verge of tears.

Dynomutt

CPS investigations are often confidential so we may not know unless the family says something.

For real. CPS is not going to fax blast the results of their investigation. Not only would that be exploitative it would sensationalize the situation even further.

People care more about being the ambiance of the drama like it's a TMZ story. Please go volunteer with your local CPS/DES. Chances are you may meet a Cody.

Otherwise all this post concern without action is basically Monday morning quarterbacking. It's all just should've could've would've gossip. This situation got me would up between the actual
terrible parents , opportunistic you tubers, and media sensationalism.

Tyaren

The way they screamed at their kid was already abusive enough, no matter if it was a prank or not. I think the parents unintentionally unmasked themselves there. If they scream at their kids like that as part of a prank, they likely would do the same thing, when one of the kids actually does something wrong. Some of the kids seemed very distressed because of the screaming, some not at all, but none of the kids seemed actually surprised by their parents behaviour.

Edit: Just watched the complete video on another channel, instead of just the few snippets that I saw before. It's much much worse. They are driving two of their kids towards a mental break down...just for fun. It's incredibly painful to watch go on and on. They are really dragging it out. These are sadistic monsters that shouldn't be anywhere near kids.

rjinaz

The way they screamed at their kid was already abusive enough, no matter if it was a prank or not. I think the parents unintentionally unmasked themselves there. If they scream at their kids like that as part of a prank, they likely would do the same thing, when one of the kids actually does something wrong. Some of the kids seemed very distressed because of the screaming, some not at all, but none of the kids seemed surprised by their parents behavior.

All the kids seemed distressed during the ink prank. Like they feel bad for Cody. You can see it in their faces that they think Cody is about to get abused badly. I think the eldest just walks away so it's hard to gauge his reaction but the other children are definitely not liking what they see. They definitely think this is something real happening and that Cody is fucked. They've seen it before.

Tagyhag

The saddest thing about all this is the kids are probably already fucked in the head now, and that shit is incredibly hard to fix/heal. I'm honestly on the verge of tears.

If they get them out they still have a chance.

The unfortunate thing is that the 3 older kids who were favored aren't going to understand at the moment why they're being separated from their parents. They think they have good parents.

Budi

All the kids seemed distressed during the ink prank. Like they feel bad for Cody. You can see it in their faces that they think Cody is about to get abused badly. I think the eldest just walks away so it's hard to gauge his reaction but the other children are definitely not liking what they see. They definitely think this is something real happening and that Cody is fucked. They've seen it before.

Yeah the kids do seem to feel bad when they see the reactions of their actions. Like the part where the girl was drawing, the boy went to help the girl and wipe stuff dry while the dad is laughing like anime villain.

And it's so disgusting seeing the kids pitted against each other.

Xero

I also dont know why people think the biological mother would be a better place. She doesnt have custody for a reason.

rjinaz

This has been on my mind, but I didn't see anyone mention it yet.
So.. What's the reason?

You can read it about her side of things on a petition or a facebook post or some such I don't have a link. It's something like, the Dad wanted to take the kids for a few months. So the Mother let him. While they were gone the Mother claims they forged the docs saying she signed the kids over to the Dad. She then said she tried to take it to the court but because she has been diagnosed with anxiety and bi-polar the judge wouldn't even look at the case.

Tahnit

Banned
I've watched some more vids last night from a Youtuber called Joy Sparkle BS.
She has gone through a similar situation as a kid and is able to nail the feelings and behaviour of Cody as a reaction to his parents.
She analyzes some footage the Nerd City video doesn't cover.

Shes great. I subbed to her channel. She seems to know what shes talking about coming from a place of experience.

NewGame

Banned

It's such a gray area, I mean clearly this is abuse but then you could apply prosecution to all those sort of 'Funniest Home Video' moments you see of kids getting 'pranked' or whatever.

Basically, the only way to nail this down would be to go full nanny state. This is already an issue with people smacking their children in public, let alone with youtube videos from inside homes.

I'd rather see his channel completely demonetized and get a bit of name'n'shame. This is just an example of babies having babies; a manchild with children.

It's such a gray area, I mean clearly this is abuse but then you could apply prosecution to all those sort of 'Funniest Home Video' moments you see of kids getting 'pranked' or whatever.

Basically, the only way to nail this down would be to go full nanny state. This is already an issue with people smacking their children in public, let alone with youtube videos from inside homes.

I'd rather see his channel completely demonetized and get a bit of name'n'shame. This is just an example of babies having babies; a manchild with children.

You clearly haven't kept up with this story if you're going to compare this to America's Funniest Home Videos.

And if you have kept up with this story and this is the conclusion you're coming to, shame on you.

Saying we need to "go full nanny state" in order to curtail child abuse at this level of severity is....insane to me.

Jakten

This isn't a grey area, I'm assuming you didn't catch any of the videos when they were up. I've watched Funniest Home Videos since the early 90s and I've never seen anything close to that extreme or intentionally harmful.

As someone who was physically abused as a child these videos gave me massive panic attacks for like an hour or more, Funniest Home Videos has never even slightly caused that in me.

If this guy pushed another adult into a shelf and left them with blood all over their face like that or left bruises all over them and had documented evidence of the assult I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to press charges on them.

Cuburt

Having watched Phil Defranco's videos and other videos compiling some of the worst moments before the videos were pulled, that household certainly seems abusive and the parents don't seem fit to be raising those kids due to the way they treat them.

It's a pretty terrible situation and my heart goes out to those kids. I even had dreams about it last night. There is a pretty thin veil on the types of abuse that goes on in that house it's crazy that they decided to broadcast it on the internet and that it's just now that anything is being done about it after they've gotten hundreds of thousands of subscribers. It's depressing to see that people can profit off such gross and shameless exploitation of their kids.

NewGame

Banned
Saying we need to "go full nanny state" in order to curtail child abuse at this level of severity is....insane to me.

Okay think this through, people post videos like this of their children so immediately the police and child services should be knocking at their door, right? Does that not sound like what I describe when I say 'nanny state'? Do you think this youtube channel is a special super niche case that will not rear it's ugly head again as we move into the information age of non-stop video feed and a lack of personal privacy? Do you think that systematically Youtube monetization and family vblogging culture rewards this type of behaviour? What exactly do you think should be enacted with this particular case?

This isn't a grey area, I'm assuming you didn't catch any of the videos when they were up. I've watched Funniest Home Videos since the early 90s and I've never seen anything close to that extreme or intentionally harmful.

No, I've only caught the videos at the tail end of this debacle but I've seen enough to know that what he's doing to his children is wrong. The Funniest Home Videos is an example of the attitude people have to these youtube videos, it was there in the 90s, it stuck around and now it has become a normal youtube genre with thousands of videos going up of kids involved in domestic spats.

They made (multiple) TV series about this, you've probably heard of Super Nanny or Brat Camp. Why are we treating this person's bad parenting like it's something that can be cured so easily?

The Funniest Home Videos is an example of the attitude people have to these youtube videos

There is a difference between a cake to the face, someone accidentally falling into a pool, some slipping at a wedding and telling children to hit each other, tell your child he is adopted, slamming the kids face into the bed and laughing about...

Okay think this through, people post videos like this of their children so immediately the police and child services should be knocking at their door, right? Does that not sound like what I describe when I say 'nanny state'? Do you think this youtube channel is a special super niche case that will not rear it's ugly head again as we move into the information age of non-stop video feed and a lack of personal privacy? Do you think that systematically Youtube monetization and family vblogging culture rewards this type of behaviour? What exactly do you think should be enacted with this particular case?

No, I've only caught the videos at the tail end of this debacle but I've seen enough to know that what he's doing to his children is wrong. The Funniest Home Videos is an example of the attitude people have to these youtube videos, it was there in the 90s, it stuck around and now it has become a normal youtube genre with thousands of videos going up of kids involved in domestic spats.

They made (multiple) TV series about this, you've probably heard of Super Nanny or Brat Camp. Why are we treating this person's bad parenting like it's something that can be cured so easily?

Man, you really need to watch this video. Comparing DaddyOFive to home video / reality TV shows is absolutely ridiculous. People aren't asking for a "nanny state"....people are hoping an investigation by Maryland authorities / CPS is taking place. If you watch the video I linked above, you should understand why.

Wow, that dude breaking out the spectral display:
n4rcJQml.jpg

Plus that clip of the daughter having her statements cut out as she sits in the all to familiar fetal position that we often see Cody in.
Based on what we've heard Cody say in similar situations, it's pretty obvious she's saying she wants to go back to her biological mom.

every new video makes me even more angry every time... and probably nothing will be done about it...this is the kind of moment where you wish you could solve problems like in the movies, break the law and save those kids....

some news outlets really need to expose everything, and not just the ink thing, which is pretty tame (while still bad) in comparison to the other videos!

NewGame

Banned
There is a difference between a cake to the face, someone accidentally falling into a pool, some slipping at a wedding and telling children to hit each other, tell your child he is adopted, slamming the kids face into the bed and laughing about...

Like I said, this sort of parental voyeurism is not new and is larger than just one guy with a vblog.

Man, you really need to watch this video. Comparing DaddyOFive to home video / reality TV shows is absolutely ridiculous. People aren't asking for a "nanny state"....people are hoping an investigation by Maryland authorities / CPS is taking place. If you watch the video I linked above, you should understand why.

The video is just like all the others, another youtuber picking apart the videos with their arms crossed. I think this one is a more level headed break down of what exactly is the problem with this sort of parenting.

So what do these kids have in their future now? Orphanages? Foster homes? Unless the parents actually straighten up and fly right this won't go away.

The video is just like all the others, another youtuber picking apart the videos with their arms crossed.

The "character" in that video is somewhat annoying, but it's not really like the others I've seen, as it goes into much more detail and shows many videos/clips I hadn't seen anywhere else. He doesn't even bring up the video that brought this channel to light (the invisible ink prank). It's clear he did his research and had been working on this for many weeks, if not longer.

So what do these kids have in their future now? Orphanages? Foster homes? Unless the parents actually straighten up and fly right this won't go away.

These children would probably be better off in the foster care system (or possibly in the care of other family members). They're currently being physically, verbally, emotionally, and psychologically abused. A deep investigation by Maryland CPS is the least that should be done. I'd be interested in hearing how you believe the state of Maryland should respond to over one hundred of hours of child abuse caught on camera and monetized.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example

Well hopefully Cody and Emma can go live with their mom assuming she is well. Allegedly she was denied custody solely on the basis of being bi-polar.

Just caught up with this and fuck its making me angry. Its probable that their real mom is not exactly perfect but damn, its gotta be better than this.

Hope it's not too late for these two to not being completely screwed up.

MUnited83

For you.
How the fuck is it a gray area? How the fuck are "Funniest Home VIdeo" any similar? Any people capable of rational thought can tell you those are worlds apart.
"Funiest Home Videos" don't come with kids getting yelled at and getting beaten up.

TheContact

Dude those aren't even comparable. Have you ever watched AFHV? Not once did anyone think people were being systematically abused physically and emotionally. Go watch some clips of AFHV and show me where someone is being abused

You could totally pull this prank off on your kid in a friendly and curious way that in no way resembles what is going on here.

You realize Funniest Home Video's actually gets sent a lot "funny" videos with child abuse that get directly sent to the police, right? There's no grey area.

There's a hierarchy of priorities with legal action in order of importance with corporations being at the top and minorities and children being at the lowest rung. Look at the Penn State fiasco.

I, too, am shocked that the Child Protective Service does not post daily updates of ongoing investigations onto Facebook, and presume that it is because they (the Child Protective Service) are prosecuting copyright infringement or something.

Shocked.

gamma

I, too, am shocked that the Child Protective Service does not post daily updates of ongoing investigations onto Facebook, and presume that it is because they (the Child Protective Service) are prosecuting copyright infringement or something.

Shocked.

I'd say the kids are in imminent danger, wouldn't you?

I'd say the kids are in imminent danger, wouldn't you?

Having worked at CPS, I would say this really doesn't, unless you know something the rest of us don't. In which case you should probably inform CPS.

For obvious reasons, CPS has pretty strict guidelines for when they're allowed to take children without a court order.

Dude Abides

Banned
Okay think this through, people post videos like this of their children so immediately the police and child services should be knocking at their door, right? Does that not sound like what I describe when I say 'nanny state'?

1. You don't know what nanny state means. It means a state that restricts personal freedom on the grounds that it is in the interest of the people whose freedom is being restricted, e.g. Drug prohibition, seat belt laws.

2. If legal authorities learn of credible evidence of criminal behavior and child abuse, of course they should investigate (knock on doors). That isn't a police state. It's a civilized society.

Shocked.

Think if it like how cops/lawyers/etc won't talk about any cases that are currently in progress or being worked on. We work on an 'Innocent Until Proven Guilty' mentality, and people that are involved in the actual cases can't go around talking about it because it can influence that case with bias, and even cause a mis-trial.

I imagine that CPS also has similar rules in place.

malfcn

If it's all pranks, Cody doesn't look like he's in on it. That kid seems to take the brunt of it. And of course they aren't going to admit in a blog that they are abused.

Anything new happen? I'm starting to think nothing will ever happen. Their YouTube channel will go down and everyone will forget about it as soon as another terrible thing happens on the internet.

Call their local CPS to complain instead of staying on gaf.

The fact that this channel had more than 500k subscribers shows up the power of the bystander effect.

It's been repeated time and time again in this topic that CPS was already altered, including the videos in the OP. A bunch of people slamming their phones isn't going to speed up the process. Save your hot takes until after you've skimmed the topic my dude.

Anything new happen? I'm starting to think nothing will ever happen. Their YouTube channel will go down and everyone will forget about it as soon as another terrible thing happens on the internet.

Unless they disclose it, or literally go to prison, we're unlikely to ever get a public exhibition of what CPS determines.

Lo_Fi

Huh, I thought the "it's just a prank bro" phrase was incredibly easy to see through and no one would fall for it, but I guess this is why they have subscribers and viewers.

What they did to those kids is nothing like a prank, especially when they're kids. Just because you filmed something and someone, somewhere might laugh at it, doesn't make it a prank. Divorce it from any concept of calling it a "prank". Does it still seem harmless to you?

Imagine growing up and NEVER feeling safe in the place you're supposed to feel safest. At any moment, the people who are supposed to protect you could hurt you, endanger you, or terrify you and your siblings. That's traumatic to a child.

I don't remember any Funniest Home Videos being made where the parents constantly set up harmful/frightening situations for their children.

Grey area? Nah.

For real. CPS is not going to fax blast the results of their investigation. Not only would that be exploitative it would sensationalize the situation even further.

People care more about being the ambiance of the drama like it's a TMZ story. Please go volunteer with your local CPS/DES. Chances are you may meet a Cody.

Otherwise all this post concern without action is basically Monday morning quarterbacking. It's all just should've could've would've gossip. This situation got me would up between the actual
terrible parents , opportunistic you tubers, and media sensationalism.

For real tho please volunteer at local children's advocacy groups. Most of these kids need as much help as they can get and these departments and organizations are spread thin as is.

KSweeley

Baltimore Sun has interviewed Heather Martin and reports that the Martin family has hired a "crisis management and communications firm": http://www.baltimoresun.com/feature...tin-issue-apology-youtube-20170424-story.html

'DaddyOFive' wife 'MommyOFive' speaks to reporter; couple issues public apology

As law-enforcement agencies review the many videos made by the Maryland couple behind the now-infamous YouTube channel "DaddyOFive," the wife and mother Heather Martin, also known as "MommyOFive," spoke to The Baltimore Sun about the public backlash and the couple's latest apologies for what they call “pranks” on their children.

“It’s been very emotional in every aspect of the word. We’ve been scared. We’ve been upset. We’ve been ashamed,” Heather Martin said in an interview Monday night.

Heather and her husband, Michael Martin, who live in Ijamsville, Frederick County, retained a crisis management and communications firm late last week, released a video apology Saturday and issued a statement of apology via news release Monday.

Saturday's upload was “a different video than we usually do,” Heather said. With her clad in a pink shirt, cardigan and curls and Michael in a sweater vest — his gaze mostly averted from the camera — the couple apologized for their online behavior and their treatment of their five children.

The developments come as representatives of the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office and Baltimore County Police Department said investigators were reviewing the videos but struggling to view deleted videos and to establish which jurisdictions they took place in.

“We’re looking into every aspect of the videos to see if there are any crimes,” but the investigation depends on where the videos are shot, said Major Tim Clark of Frederick County.

Both in their mid-30s, the Martins said they were undergoing counseling to cope with the backlash and to help themselves and their five children, all under the age of 15, understand their bad decisions as parents.

Michael, the on-camera provocateur for many of the pranks, including one in which he appears to push his son into a bookcase leaving him with a bloody nose, said, “I acknowledge and I respect how everyone feels about this, and I do agree that we put things on the internet that shouldn’t be there. We did things that we should not do.”

Michael did not respond to requests for comment from The Sun.

“What started out as family fun crossed the line, and that was the change," she told The Sun. "When I stepped back and reflected and looked at how this would appear to other people, I was able to take myself out of character and -- me just being Mom -- I put myself in other people’s shoes to see how bad that some of this looked."

The couple uploaded nearly 300 videos to the “DaddyOFive” YouTube channel. In them, the parents screamed profanities at their children, broke their toys and games and filmed as their children fought each other, often as Michael laughed. Many of the videos received more than 100,000 views. Viewers were especially outraged at the treatment of one of the youngest sons, Cody, who appeared to be the brunt of many of the pranks.

“DaddyOFive” has amassed more than 765,000 subscribers as of Monday afternoon. Many of the videos had been deleted Wednesday. Michael said he removed most of them, but YouTube told The Sun via email that it removed ads from the DaddyOFive channel and any of the videos that violated its community guidelines.

Other "DaddyOFive" videos live on, on other users' accounts. "MommyOFive" still retained several of its videos as of Monday night.

“We went from something that wasn’t so bad, and then we just kept going more and more for the shock factor,” Heather said in the video released Saturday, which has garnered more than 870,000 views and more than 104,000 comments as of Monday night. She said that the kids were excited by the views and wanted to see how many they could get, but added that it wasn’t their fault. She and Michael should have made better decisions, she said.

Michael said, “I just wanted to take care of everybody.”

The couple’s released statement was similar, though it states that they used “character acting and scripted pranks” as they gained popularity. They emphasized that the children are now safe, “off camera and out of character.”

“They are normal, happy kids who play sports and love being with their family and friends. Thank you for your understanding as we work through this difficult time,” they stated.

Heather told The Sun on Monday that the children have not experienced any blowback. In fact, they have become more popular because of the videos, she said.

“We’ve done everything in our power to protect them from [the backlash],” she said.

Heather also said she and her husband have not been contacted by the police, but declined to say whether the family had been contacted by Child Protective Services.

Katherine A. Morris, a spokeswoman for the Maryland Department of Human Resources, reiterated in an email to The Baltimore Sun Monday that Maryland confidentiality laws meant the department could not confirm or deny whether Child Protective Services has met or is involved with the family.

Law enforcement in Montgomery, Baltimore and Frederick counties said they have been alerted about the videos.

The Frederick County’s Sheriff’s Office said that its criminal investigation section was reviewing the videos.

Clark, who noted that the couple recently moved to Ijamsville in Frederick County, said the sheriff’s office must determine whether the videos were shot within the jurisdiction before law-enforcement agents can take action for any alleged criminal activity.

“If we determine that there was some type of criminal [activity], we will notify Child Protective Services as a part of the investigation,” he said. If the sheriff's department finds the alleged activity was in another jurisdiction, Clark said agents would notify the appropriate law enforcement division.

Baltimore County Police Officer Jennifer Peach said Baltimore County police are also reviewing the many videos that the couple uploaded to YouTube, “but we’re having a hard time because many were removed or blocked” and were filmed indoors, making it difficult to determine the location in Maryland.

Moving forward, Heather says the focus is fully on the family.

"We've already begun family counseling immediately," she said. In addition, “We did get a life coach that’s going to be able to help us, and just get an outside perspective, making sure [the children are] OK and that everything is good from here on out."

As for the “DaddyOFive” and “MommyOFive” YouTube channels, Heather said they haven’t decided what will become of them.

“Right now, we’re focused on our family,” she repeated.

“We just really hope that we can help other people not make the same mistakes that we have, and we hope that we can show that we’ve learned from the things that we’ve done or said.”

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Baltimore Sun has interviewed Heather Martin and reports that the Martin family has hired a "crisis management and communications firm": http://www.baltimoresun.com/feature...tin-issue-apology-youtube-20170424-story.html

Maybe if they didn't have to be forced kicking and screaming into this I'd feel a little better. This seems like a PR move that hopes the heat dies down so they can go back to being shitty parents. I'm willing that life coach is around as long as the media is paying attention then him and any other changes are out the door and its business as usual for those poor kids.

Zen Aku

You're really delusional if you think something like this is the same as perpetually tormenting your children like this asshole is doing.

For real tho please volunteer at local children's advocacy groups. Most of these kids need as much help as they can get and these departments and organizations are spread thin as is.

Yep. I've been volunteering at local Phoenix childrens groups for five years now and nothing in my life has been more fulfilling.

I know it's hard to cut out the time and make the commitment, but I strongly urge some of the people in this thread that are rightfully outraged by the footage to go out and help young people in their communities.

Nothing is more rewarding!

.JayZii

Banned

I would think the fact that it's being done on a consistent basis for monetary gain would factor in, but I guess not. Surely constantly living in fear of being "pranked" when you're not actively being pranked by your own parents and siblings isn't a healthy environment for children. It's like they're all in a frat house against their will.

Savitar

Oh no, people are hating us and sending us hate mail and trying to get us in trouble, time to play the oh we didn't know we crossed the line card and we're sorry.

I'm amazed they didn't play the praying to God card to save them.

old

Maybe if they didn't have to be forced kicking and screaming into this I'd feel a little better. This seems like a PR move that hopes the heat dies down so they can go back to being shitty parents. I'm willing that life coach is around as long as the media is paying attention then him and any other changes are out the door and its business as usual for those poor kids.

I'd sooner wager a divorce.

I just hope those kids end up in a better home sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom