• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

IceCold

He would look better if he shaved his head. Guy-Man looks like he lost some weight. Some people were saying he looked fat at Monaco's formula one.

I was a little weirded out the first time I gave the album a listen but DAMN it's just better and better each time I listen to the songs.

Lose Yourself To Dance, Giorgio, Game Of Love, Get Lucky, Beyond, and Give Life Back to Music are all songs I can listen on repeat over and over. That's like half the fucking album. I usually only really like 2-3 songs from any given album from other artists.

I just needed to get over the fact that I wasn't about to get more Da Funk, but once I shifted those expectations the whole album just clicked.

Addi

I was so sick of it during the hype time, but now Get Lucky is slowly becoming one of my favorites. Looking forward to the remix :)

tanuki

That photo shows how important the Robot suits are to their image. Nobody would buy a proggy disco record by those two old farts.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I never listened to Daft Punk before but I kept seeing the hype over this album so I finally gave it a listen. WOW! It's really good. My favorite tracks have to be Give Life Back to Music (that intro) and Giorgio by Moroder so far.

GhaleonEB

That photo shows how important the Robot suits are to the imagine. Nobody would by a proggy disco record by those two old farts.

They probably didn't think of it at the time, but it's a good way to keep their image timeless. They can change the style around it, but they'll always be those two unaging robots to the public.

Majine

Banned
EDMSauce said:
After Daft Punk’s release of Random Access Memories, many fans began speculating a remix album due to rumors around the internet. Luckily Daft Punk confirmed that these rumors were true and that Daft Punk would indeed be remixing their own tracks. The Get Lucky EP remix will be available on July 15th, 2013 and will feature a 10 minute long remix for Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky.”

http://www.edmsauce.com/2013/06/07/daft-punks-get-lucky-ep-will-be-released-in-july/

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
They probably didn't think of it at the time, but it's a good way to keep their image timeless. They can change the style around it, but they'll always be those two unaging robots to the public.

I believe they've said some time ago that they don't like the cult of celebrity and how celebrities willingly engage in marketing their personal selves for image. They created the robot characters so that the music wasn't associated with real people; it is its own thing.

It makes talk like "nobody would like them if they knew what Daft Punk looked like" ironic. Because that's the point. The robots are a part of the music thematically. It's like saying nobody would like Mickey Mouse if they knew Walt Disney was a middle age man who smoked cigarettes.

GhaleonEB

I believe they've said some time ago that they don't like the cult of celebrity and how celebrities willingly engage in marketing their personal selves for image. They created the robot characters so that the music wasn't associated with real people; it is its own thing.

It makes talk like "nobody would like them if they knew what Daft Punk looked like" ironic. Because that's the point. The robots are a part of the music thematically. It's like saying nobody would like Mickey Mouse if they knew Walt Disney was a middle age man who smoked cigarettes.

I understand why they do it. I was thinking of it as more of a fringe benefit. Their lack of desire for personal fame is remarkable and admirable.

I never listened to Daft Punk before but I kept seeing the hype over this album so I finally gave it a listen. WOW! It's really good. My favorite tracks have to be Give Life Back to Music (that intro) and Giorgio by Moroder so far.

The guitar and bass interplay during the breakdown on Give Life Back to Music is fucking funky as hell.

Addi

With my preorder of the vinyl, I got one those WeeWaa-masks. I haven't opened it yet. Should I just keep it that way and see if it becomes rare/worth anything? I wouldn't have used it anyway.

Also, here's a GIF of how I made the mask in my avatar:

ib0PV6RgdTdBJF.gif

The dark grey and orange beads were actually silver and gold, they didn't work as well as I hoped.

IceCold

Doubt it. Table looks too clean and there are treats on it.

Besides, I'm not eve sure it's possible to play it with champagne glasses.

The Hermit

Its things like this that makes me really glad I bought this headphone.

I have a love/hate relationship with Daft Punk, but this won me over. Love disco. :D

aceface

Doubt it. Table looks too clean and there are treats on it.

Besides, I'm not eve sure it's possible to play it with champagne glasses.

I didn't really think they were lol. Just the way the picture is set up makes it look like he's throwing a ping pong ball.

Kanyon

I've really been digging two covers of Get Lucky, everyone obviously knows the George Barnett one but I just recently came across this one.

N'Gee - Get Lucky http://youtu.be/4_bnBaDzxY8

Sorry if already old, but I had to share... Love the funk it brings!

Has anyone remixed the album to sound like a Daft Punk album yet?

Its a good album, but most of it doesnt sound anything like Daft Punk, its weird. I loved a lot of the songs people were posting here that were made out of the 15 seconds Get Lucky teaser. It would be nice to get a full album of all the RAM songs that someone has chopped up and remixed into a normal Daft Punk album.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Love the album. Instant Crush would have to be my favourite.

Instant Crush is definitely getting the most playtime out of me. It took me about 10 listens to notice that you can hear Julian Casablancas' nature voice under the pitched up main version which adds some nice character to the song as well. Why I don't listen to these kind of landmark albums on my pimp IEMs vs. my car stereo or computer speakers...I don't know.

I prefer to listen to the whole album continuously, but if I'm in an instant gratification kind of a mood, the play order goes:

1. Give Life Back to Music
5. Instant Crush
6. Lose Yourself to Dance
8. Get Lucky
11. Fragments of Time
12. Doin' it Right
13. Contact

Raiden

Banned
So what do people think about it now that some time has passed? I have to be honest it never really clicked with me. I heard Get Lucky too much from being on the radio. And none of the other songs really clicked with me enough to get in my regular playlist.

Things can still change sooner or later, had that happen before.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I still listen to the album with regularity. It's almost a shame to split these up into singles because it all works so well as a cohesive piece.

cdyhybrid

So what do people think about it now that some time has passed? I have to be honest it never really clicked with me. I heard Get Lucky too much from being on the radio. And none of the other songs really clicked with me enough to get in my regular playlist.

Things can still change sooner or later, had that happen before.

I still love it. Definitely has to be something I sit down and listen to in entirety though.

Top Bottom