• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Sherlock Holmes and Watson to appear in the game?

GSR

Full scans are out. Some more info:

• Ryuunosuke begins the game in Japan, where as a college student he’s involved in a certain case that puts him on the path to becoming a formal attorney. To better study law, he transfers to England along with Mikotoba, where he meets Holmes.
  • Most of the story will take place in London, with Japan serving as the setting for Ryuunosuke’s first case.
  • Court and investigation proceed in mostly the same way, but during investigations Ryuunosuke and Holmes will use “joint reasoning” - a system where, as Ryuunosuke, you must point out any inconsistencies in Holmes’ rapid-fire reasoning. (The example shown is Holmes accusing a witness of being a certain revolutionary.)
  • Part of the reason they settled on 3D was to allow for a very dynamic camera to match Holmes’ high-speed thinking. Takumi jokes that Holmes really set the stage for the game!
  • Takumi has a deep love of the Sherlock Holmes stories, so he’s trying to respect the character. Holmes is described as falling somewhere between the “storybook Holmes” and a “real Holmes” - a man who focuses maybe too much on his investigations, but isn’t a bad person at heart.
  • Ryuunosuke and Holmes’ meeting is a key point of the game.

Official site should update later today.

• Ryuunosuke begins the game in Japan, where as a college student he’s involved in a certain case that puts him on the path to becoming a formal attorney. To better study law, he transfers to England along with Mikotoba, where he meets Holmes.
  • Most of the story will take place in London, with Japan serving as the setting for Ryuunosuke’s first case.

That's kind of a letdown.

Would make the localization a hell of a lot easier though.

daydream

Banned

Oh, I did not expect this. Thought the majority of the game would take place in Japan. Not that I care where it takes place exactly, but this might bode somewhat well for potential localisation considerations. I hope. :p

Nyoro SF

• Court and investigation proceed in mostly the same way, but during investigations Ryuunosuke and Holmes will use “joint reasoning” - a system where, as Ryuunosuke, you must point out any inconsistencies in Holmes’ rapid-fire reasoning. (The example shown is Holmes accusing a witness of being a certain revolutionary.)
  • Part of the reason they settled on 3D was to allow for a very dynamic camera to match Holmes’ high-speed thinking. Takumi jokes that Holmes really set the stage for the game!
  • Takumi has a deep love of the Sherlock Holmes stories, so he’s trying to respect the character. Holmes is described as falling somewhere between the “storybook Holmes” and a “real Holmes” - a man who focuses maybe too much on his investigations, but isn’t a bad person at heart.

Oh interesting. So at least we won't have people asking for London to be set in the USA, right? :p

Those details are reassuring for us Westerners. My fear was that they´d tackle very japan-centric themes (Takumi implied that he´d love to weave Japan opening up to the west in that period into the story)

....which is probably a nightmare to translate for us lacking the background knowledge.

Spoiler: The last murderer will be Jack the Ripper.

Edit: Holy moly, that might actually be true: The Ripper was active from 1888-1891ish and the meiji period was from 1868-1912 (according to Wikipedia)

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Sherlock Holmes is already on the public domain worldwide, right? I recall some kind of legal problem a few months ago that involved Holmes with a publisher or something.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Wasn't expecting it. Meiji period Japan is fairly uninteresting to me as a setting for fiction so this is a plus.

MrBadger

The way Holmes looks in the screenshots makes him look like a partner to NotPhoenix rather than just being the game's signature detective. Judging by that and the way the game is described, I wouldn't be surprised if the initial idea for this game was that he was the protagonist before Capcom told Takumi to make another Ace Attorney.

Anyway, having it set in London makes it easier to localise so that's a plus.

Kazerei

Banned
Hmm, I think I'd actually prefer a Meiji Japan setting than a Victorian London setting, probably because I've been exposed more to the latter

Also this is giving me Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright vibes

London is a bit unexpected. If it's going to have a significant focus on Holmes then I wonder if they've expanded the investigation sections a bit, that seems more Sherlock Holmes than appearing in court does.

If this is going to be the first in a new series then it would be interesting to see future games set in different countries.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This is kinda sounding like Takumi wanting to do this kind of setting his way instead of having to do it with Hino and Level 5.

Not sure how I feel about Watson, I trust Takumi not to make it overly creepy but after seeing Martin Freeman in the Gatiss/Moffat adaptation it's hard to see anyone else as Watson. There's been so many takes on Sherlock that I liked so that will be easier, but another female Watson and now she's 8? Maybe it'll be funny enough... I did like the cartoon when I was a kid... *sigh*

K-A-Deman

So this is all a setup to the inevitable discovery of Holmes descendent and a true gentelman.

LGaspen Payne

Leeness

There is not a single word of this that I don't like.

Localize ASAP.

Sherlock Holmes is already on the public domain worldwide, right? I recall some kind of legal problem a few months ago that involved Holmes with a publisher or something.

Pretty much. The copyrights already expired in Canada and the UK. In the US, The characters of Holmes and Watson are clearly in the public domain, along with most of ACD's stories. The only Sherlock-related stories still under copyright in the US are some parts of "The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes" (A collection of stories that ACD submitted to a magazine until 1927).

The legal problem that you were talking about is probably the lawsuit that helped further establish that Holmes and Watson (and other story elements from the earlier cases) are in the public domain. This was decided by the District Court for the Northern District of Illinois in 2013 and upheld by the 7th circuit court of appeals in June 2014.

(Source)

L~A

Thanks mate, adding that to the OP!

Shu liked Layton Vs so much that he's doing it again with Sherlock? Awesome.

Jamix012

..This honestly sounds like they wanted PL vs Layton 2 but not be held back by the faltering Layton franchise. Which I'm all for. PL vs Layton was fantastic if we ignore the ending.

VegiHam

Shu Takumi written Holmes fanfic staring Victorian Era Pheonix Wright and his friend 'traditional Japanese Girl' as they solve crime in London?

If it were any other name at the start of that sentence I'd probably be worried, but as it stands? I'll gladly 'eat my fish and chips, Watson-chan' or whatever.

DrunkDan

Sounds a lot like the BBC tv Sherlock (which I absolute love) so I'm very interested.

I can even deal with the fact that Watson is a girl and not a hobbit.

RedShift

Very excited for this now.Seems odd that this was hyped up with feudal Japan as a setting and now suddenly it's a Ace Attorney/Sherlock Holmes crossover set in Victorian London but hey.

It's really kinda surprising the game isn't going to take place in Japan, especially how the game was billed on reveal. Holmes looks great though. Watson looks atrocious. I don't really know how to feel about this one. I will play every ace attorney game but unlike all the other games I'm not feeling this one from the start. That's not good. As long as I enjoy it I will be fine but this is giving me a worst in series kinda vibe.

bonercop

Hmm, I think I'd actually prefer a Meiji Japan setting than a Victorian London setting, probably because I've been exposed more to the latter

Also this is giving me Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright vibes

same. I can't say I've ever seen a who-dunnit style murder-mystery done in that particular setting.

Wanderer5

Is this watson going to be creepy?:p Eh whatever of having a watson girl, but sherlock looks pretty cool. And hm going to take place mostly in London eh? Would have been nice to have see more of Meiji Japan, but not a big deal I guess.

suzu

I don't mind that Watson is a little kid, since the series has had children as assistants before. I don't like the character design though.

Interesting that it's going to be mostly in London.

Toxi

Banned
When I think of war veterans with medical degrees, I think of 8 year olds.
According to Siliconera.com Watson still has a medical degree. At 8 years old.

What is this I don't even.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/09/yes-watson-is-still-an-m-d-in-the-great-ace-attorney/

NathanFillion.gif

Top Bottom