• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Sherlock Holmes and Watson to appear in the game?

Sadist

... and when the final game releases we'll be like "Oh my god she's like Pearl, she's awesome!"

It's a strange angle, but I'm totally playing this.

You know I think of Layton and Luke as in child prodigy mentor. I guess Arthur and Merlin is you want to say this wasn't origin in Japan...

The deduction gameplay and 3D can't help me think of Investigations.

Didn't Holmes go to Japan at some point in the original book canon? I'm not at all clear on this but I remember seeing it mentioned. Couldn't it possibly line up with when this game takes place?
I don't think it is official (are there any there but there are gaps in the timeline (1891-1894) caused by the whole
faked his death and went missing for 3 years
. Problem with that gap is Watson did not accompany him maybe that explains his rather drastic change...

ZeroX03

Banned
Watson's daughter or something maybe? Would explain the last name. No idea about Sherlock canon though, but I'm pretty sure Shu will pick and choose whatever he wants.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
8 years old Watson?
Not the strangest thing i heard, and i approve of this. I like children character in mystery story. They make thing more unpredictable.

DizzyCrow

About he 8 year old Watson, maybe Shu liked the interactions between Layton and Luke in the PL series and PLvsPWAA, now he wants emulate it with his own spin, but whatever, in Shu I trust.

injurai

Banned
Ace Attorney has been quite tasteful, I don't think having an 8 year old would be much of a problem. Kids really should have more representation in games than they do. It would be awesome if we got a Radical Ed type prodigy. Kids can bring a unique unobstructed view to things, I love seeing how my nieces interact with the world. While adults are assuredly the masters at logos, I think kids wield an unanesthetized sense in pathos and ethos.

Pearl is/was one of the best kid characters in gaming, so I'm not worried about this Watson. Plus, Sherlock looks like he's got some meat on him, so that's good.

The real question is whether or not they're your rivals or if they're gonna fill the "detective" role.

The real question is whether or not they're your rivals or if they're gonna fill the "detective" role.
My faith in Shu firmly believes he's there for a good reason. Waiting for a reveal that he's actually someone in disguise, going undercover to get close to someone involved in the final case.

A lying scoundrel and potential murderer, but at least he took care of great great grandmother Watson Fey when no one else would.

According to Siliconera.com Watson still has a medical degree. At 8 years old.

What is this I don't even.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/09/yes-watson-is-still-an-m-d-in-the-great-ace-attorney/

Couldn't resist.

comic345_zps050c7985.png

Sakura

The games are supposed to be kid friendly too right? Maybe they put a kid in there so younger people can relate too or something?

Korigama

The games are supposed to be kid friendly too right? Maybe they put a kid in there so younger people can relate too or something?
I wouldn't know about "kid friendly" with AA. They are generally focused on murder mysteries, with all but one of the games that received releases outside of Japan getting T ratings. Meanwhile, AA5 was that one rating exception, the first to be rated M.

Sakura

I wouldn't know about "kid friendly" with AA. They are generally focused on murder mysteries, with all but one of the games that received releases outside of Japan getting T ratings. Meanwhile, AA5 was that one rating exception, the first to be rated M.
Doesn't Detective Conan solve murders all the time?

Korigama

This is true. Said murders can often be quite violent, but at the same time, it's not like graphic violence necessarily bars something from being marketed as a shonen series rather than seinen in Japan, as is the case with Detective Conan and many other non-mystery franchises one wouldn't expect them to get away with labeling as shonen (i.e., Deadman Wonderland, Attack on Titan, Akame ga Kill!).

Tunahead

This isn't even dumb by Sherlock Holmes standards, really. People have this weird misconception that Sherlock Holmes stories were up there with stuff written by Agatha Christie and the like. Well they weren't. Sherlock Holmes dealt with monkey drugs turning people into monkeys and tragic back stories about Mormon ninja assassins (yes, really) and John Watson's wandering war wound and whatever else because Doyle didn't seem to particularly care about continuity.

Detective Conan is 17 years old, though. He just looks like a child because people tried to assassinate him using a drug and the drug just turned him into a child instead of killing him because [SCENE MISSING].

L~A

Hmm... disappointed we haven't seen any scans yet. I just want to see Sherlock and that 8yo version of Watson. Hopefully, she doesn't have a mustache :p

GSR

First scan's floating about (of Sherlock, not Iris). Sherlock's design is pretty neat, but more interesting is the screenshots - it's hard to tell at this quality, but they look somewhere between PLvsPW and AA5 in terms of style.

daydream

Banned
No way would I have thought of Klavier if it hadn't been brought up. I guess I can see Kristoph's tie but Klavier? Hair (+ colour), face, eyes - he looks very different, imo.

But anyway, cool design!

Haunted

According to Siliconera.com Watson still has a medical degree. At 8 years old.

What is this I don't even.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/09/yes-watson-is-still-an-m-d-in-the-great-ace-attorney/
Well, it's not like they'll change the role of the character, Watson will be the same medically experienced yet investigatively challenged companion/foil character for Holmes he or she is in most versions of the character.

This Watson is just dressed up in a way that appeals to Japanese otakus.

Sherlock looks hot. :3

I see a slight Klavier resemblance, but not anything major. (Though Klavier has an amazing design, so no complaints there either.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can you honestly explain the need for an 8 year old Watson? I don't mind him being a woman, but 8 years old? Really?! Unless she's going to be some sort of Radical Ed (Bebop) type savant, I just don't understand

But can you give a good reason not to have an 8 year old Watson?

I thought so.

Lusankya

First scan's floating about (of Sherlock, not Iris). Sherlock's design is pretty neat, but more interesting is the screenshots - it's hard to tell at this quality, but they look somewhere between PLvsPW and AA5 in terms of style.

Man, he looks handsome. But he doesn't seem to have the role of either the prosecutor/antagonist nor the police detective, so I guess he's mostly Ryuunosuke's partner.

markot

Banned
So. Like... is it weird in Japan for 30 year olds to hang around 8 year olds? maybe its just a cultural thing. Dont be ignornt.

daydream

Banned
Holmes reminds me more of Edgeworth then Klavier.

Yeah, me too, actually. I don't know what it is about him that does, exactly, but I got the same impression.

Oh, I also wanted to say that I'm already super super hyped for this game. I will probably perish if they don't localise it.

Top Bottom