• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Sherlock Holmes and Watson to appear in the game?

I must admit I don't really get the sentiments of dismay here. It thought characters like Pearl and Nanako are generally well-liked? And not in a creepy fanservice sense? I can't think of any game that present a character that young as fanservice, anyway. (oh I have no doubt there are some depraved h-game somewhere)

I'm not even convinced that these are supposed to be the Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, but rather a Holmes-like character and his Watson.

Chaos17

gumshoe-headscratch.gif

Oh, Japan...

They did the same thing in an American tv serie you know but people were so against it that they changed the name of the serie. Talk about being narrow minded.

I'm not even convinced that these are supposed to be the Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, but rather a Holmes-like character and his Watson.
I think it will be more like or they will be cameo.

L~A

New details: looks like Pheonix and Holmes cooperate, Games-Talk mention a "co-reasoning" system. Game alternates between investigation / court, as usual. I believe it also mentions full 3D background and characters... so no fixed screens this time around?

Can someone translate this?

新たに、成歩堂とホームズが協力して謎に挑む「共同推理」という新システムを搭載。ひらめき過ぎて推理が真実の向こう側まで行ってしまうホームズにツッコミを入れながら事件の筋道を正していきます。

ゲームは探偵パートと法定パートを交互に繰り返す従来通りの流れで進行。今回も3Dキャラと3D背景で制作。背景を2パターン用意するなど奥行きを使った演出がある模様。

daydream

Banned
Huh. Doesn't sound like Holmes will be a Gumshoe type of detective but more on the same level as the court protagonist.

Sounds very exciting, I loved what they did with the multiple attorneys in DD, so (potentially) going further down this road of splitting up gameplay/narrative pleases me greatly.

I don't know if they necessarily needed full 3D for the investigations but if that means we get to see more environmental art, that's also fine by me.

L~A

Gematsu got some more details:

Famitsu also introduces a new element called “Joint Reasoning.” As Naruhodou and Holmes work together to solve mysteries, players will point out where Holmes is taking his reasoning further than the truth in order to get to the bottom of what really happened.

As far as the game’s flow goes, it will be similar to previous entries in that it follows detective and courtroom parts. This time, however, it will have both 3D characters and 3D backgrounds. The actual depth of the background will be utilized (meaning, the character can actually go into the background).

Ryuukan

I don't understand the reactions in this thread. This series was always a pandering harem, even had a loli turning into a breast monster in the second game.

Be honest with yourselves
MiaPearl_Bench_Strict_1.gif

NEO0MJ

I don't understand the reactions in this thread. This series was always a pandering harem, even had a loli turning into a breast monster in the first game.

Be honest with yourselves
MiaPearl_Bench_Strict_1.gif

That happened in the second game though, not the first.

Now it seems like many of you already have surelocked on to an opinion already, but it could be a unique and fun twist on watsan already frequently played-with story. I need to see moreiarty on this game before passing on it, so how about we take this news in lestride?

PKrockin

Doesn't this make Watson a completely different character? Unless we're going to take this "high-school prodigy" thing to the extreme and say at 8 she's already a great physician and surgeon who served in a war? And what about her personality? Is she going to be the perfect 19th century gentleman too? Besides marketing, what's the point of even calling them Sherlock and Watson if you're going to take this many liberties with the characters?

FillerB

Now it seems like many of you already have surelocked on to an opinion already, but it could be a unique and fun twist on watsan already frequently played-with story. I need to see moreiarty on this game before passing on it, so how about we take this news in lestride?

Trying to hard but you´re right. Need some more information before making opinions. Past PW games handled little-girl-characters really really well so I'm not too worried.

Haunted

Gotta appeal to your domestic demographic!

And we all know just how much Japanese otakus like 8 year old girls.

L~A

Hmm... I wonder if Capcom's going to reveal a trailer before TGS, or this week. They did promise info on Tuesday, but no idea if it'll just be the Famitsu stuff or also a trailer.

Guess we'll see soon enough.

Kater

Banned
Sounds interesting, though as others have already stated, why make "Watson" an 8-year old girl...

Couldn't resist.
comic345_zps050c7985.png
That's pretty funny. :D

I must admit I don't really get the sentiments of dismay here. It thought characters like Pearl and Nanako are generally well-liked? And not in a creepy fanservice sense? I can't think of any game that present a character that young as fanservice, anyway. (oh I have no doubt there are some depraved h-game somewhere)

I guess you are right. And I liked Pearl in
AA5
. But still.

Maybe I was just hoping for some BBC Sherlock in Ace Attorney, that could also be another reason for why I'm not really okay with this. :p

rekameohs

Banned
They did the same thing in an American tv serie you know but people were so against it that they changed the name of the serie. Talk about being narrow minded.

I think it will be more like or they will be cameo.

Wow! Lucy Liu sure doesn't look 8 years old.

Nyoro SF

Sherlock-senpai...

LMAO

Can you honestly explain the need for an 8 year old Watson? I don't mind him being a woman, but 8 years old? Really?! Unless she's going to be some sort of Radical Ed (Bebop) type savant, I just don't understand

That is likely the case. There wouldn't be any point in her being there otherwise.

Or maybe she'll be the type of character that asks questions for those not so good at puzzle games.

RedSwirl

Didn't Holmes go to Japan at some point in the original book canon? I'm not at all clear on this but I remember seeing it mentioned. Couldn't it possibly line up with when this game takes place?

Top Bottom