• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daily Show host Trevor Noah says people see Antifa as "Vegan Isis"

Nightbird

he's an idiot, a bad comedian, and an unprincipled hack who's just reading the script for money.

nobody should be listening to him, most of all the left. his criticisms have no weight whatsoever and only serve to pander to the right.

Yeah, of course...

something that people do not know is that Putin is not only an Alt-Right darling but also a Far-Left darling for anyone who are anti-globalist and anti-EU.

the fact is the money and funding has funneled through many anti-establishment groups and parties regardless if they are Far-Right or Far-Left. Just as long as they are anti-EU, they get Putin's attention.

the Kool-Aid has crossed the Antlantic Ocean into North America and ANTIFA is clearly anti-EU with Pro-Putin slant

Aren't centrists immune to fake news? Why are you spouting them, gutter_TRASH? 🤔

Christ US political discourse is fucked, going by this thread. Rigid, prescriptive, obsessed with labels that are assbackwards. This, by your standards, 'centrist' is outta here.

Kinyou

Aren't centrists immune to fake news? Why are you spouting them, gutter_TRASH? 🤔
Putin happily supports anyone whose views are beneficial to him. Be it right or left

In Europe, such support has spread throughout those opposed to the centrism of Emmanuel Macron and Angela Merkel. There’s a reason, after all, that far-left French presidential candidate Jean-Luc Mélenchon called for a conference with Russia to re-negotiate European borders, endorsed Moscow’s line on Ukraine, and echoed Marine Le Pen’s support for Putin. And in Italy, the insurgent Five Star Party regularly pushes sympathetic material from the Russian propaganda outlet Sputnik.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...nge_groups_on_the_far_right_and_far_left.html

Kyzer

Banned
People would rather support the few antifa that smash windows than fucking Trevor Noah because of the one issue of nazi punching? They do not represent the entire left and do not deserve wholesale blind faith and support just because we have a shared love of nazi punching. We do not have an obligation to never question them. If you just found out about antifa after Charlottesville and are making the mistake of believing that antifa just means "everyone who doesnt like Nazis" or "people who came out to counter protest the white supremacists" youre mistaken, and some of them might not even be on our side. Some of them could even be paid plants to discredit the ones who are there just to counter nazis by vandalizing random private property. People are attacking their own (Trevor Noah) to defend a fringe of antifa in the mistaken belief that we are all antifa, when its not true. We just have a few shared beliefs like fuck trump, fuck fascism, and fuck nazis. That doesn't mean we now endorse the antifa platform. Most counterprotestors were regular people, who some people in this thread would reject and call moderates. You dont even have to be antifa to punch nazis.

the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that--

 involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; CHECK

 appear to be intended-- CHECK

 to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; CHECK

 to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion;  or CHECK

 to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping;  and CHECK

 occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States. NOT SURE,
I believe it occurs in other places as well

I am okay with labeling them domestic terrorism.

People would rather support the few antifa that smash windows than fucking Trevor Noah because of the one issue of nazi punching? They do not represent the entire left and do not deserve wholesale blind faith and support just because we have a shared love of nazi punching. We do not have an obligation to never question them. If you just found out about antifa after Charlottesville and are making the mistake of believing that antifa just means "everyone who doesnt like Nazis" or "people who came out to counter protest the white supremacists" youre mistaken, and some of them might not even be on our side. Some of them could even be paid plants to discredit the ones who are there just to counter nazis by vandalizing random private property. People are attacking their own (Trevor Noah) to defend a fringe of antifa in the mistaken belief that we are all antifa, when its not true. We just have a few shared beliefs like fuck trump, fuck fascism, and fuck nazis. That doesn't mean we now endorse the antifa platform. Most counterprotestors were regular people, who some people in this thread would reject and call moderates. You dont even have to be antifa to punch nazis.
Exactly how I feel. It's sickening what people say about Noah in here.

Gaz_RB

I hope Antifa continues doing what they do. Down in Charlotteseville,I heard they kept a whole church full of activists and clergy men from being attacked by Nazis, so I don't give two shits if they don't conform to your ideal standard of resistance. More importantly, they don't either.

That still sounds like bullshit to me

Trevor Noah has been through allot and is a person who practically doesn't have country because he wasn't accepted by Whites and Blacks in South Africa and was always treated like a stranger when traveling abroad.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...frica-a-product-of-my-parents-crime-1.4190666

now you got Americans saying "He's not 'Murican!" LOL

Is he actually American (i.e. does he have an American citizenship)?

With that said, who is saying, "he's not 'Murican!"?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Jill Stein is not even anti-capitalist. If you think she's a good representation of the far-left milieu, I don't know what to tell you.
Oh really?
In any case, even if she's maybe not as extreme left as humanly possible, she's still really really leftist and panders to Russia and Putin, which is the point. See also Kinyou's post.

now you got Americans saying "He's not 'Murican!" LOL
Well, technically, he isn't :p But it's still a shitty thing to say and a total ad hominem.

That still sounds like bullshit to me

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ft_was_actually_doing_in_charlottesville.html

Rabbi Rachel Schmelkin
Congregation Beth Israel

There was a group of antifa defending First United Methodist Church right outside in their parking lot, and at one point the white supremacists came by and antifa chased them off with sticks.

Plenty of eye witness accounts in that article. It's entirely in keeping with what Antifa generally do, so not sure why you'd think it's bullshit.

Came by attacking them? I mean I've heard the stories but I think it's being played out.

White supremecists yelling at you is different than attacking you.

I'm not really sure I understand what you don't like about what they did. They should have waited for the Nazis to attack them before chasing them away?

Joeytj

Banned
he's an idiot, a bad comedian, and an unprincipled hack who's just reading the script for money.

nobody should be listening to him, most of all the left. his criticisms have no weight whatsoever and only serve to pander to the right.

This is just wrong.

Just because the only time you hear about him is when he criticizes someone on the left, and not even actually criticize them but their tactics and the perception of them (like he did with AntiFa) doesn't mean he spends his time as a right-wing comedian.

He's actually been improving since Trump took office and I'm liking him more than Jon Stewart's maddening vanilla stance towards the left sometimes.

And Trevor Noah's life isn't exactly something to ignore when thinking about what he says in his show and what he believes in. This guy was born in a country where his birth was illegal, so I think he has plenty of credibility when it comes to matters of how to bridge racial and political divides, or at least respect his opinion.

No, he's right on the money. And there's plenty of documenting of Russia's funding.

Do you have any evidence or counter-arguments?

https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21643222-who-backs-putin-and-why-kremlins-pocket

even in France's last election, they had a hand directly to the party or indirectly to an individual candidate.

(Far-Right) Marine Le Pen and Le Front National being the most obvious one without even hiding the fact they received Russian money.
http://time.com/4627780/russia-national-front-marine-le-pen-putin/

(Far-Left) Jean-Luc Mélenchon taking an anti-EU stance and saying nice things about Putin from the Far-Left's La France Insoumise:
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...enchon-germany-putin-french-presidential-race

(Right) And the Conservative candidate (Républicain) François Fillon has business interests with Russia that affected his plaform pertaining to Russian relations.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ladimir-putin-lebanese-billionaire-allegation

LOL thankfully none of them won

Phrynobatrachus

Neo Member
Oh really?
In any case, even if she's maybe not as extreme left as humanly possible, she's still really really leftist and panders to Russia and Putin, which is the point. See also Kinyou's post.

Got me there. Regardless, I still think it's ridiculous to suggest that antifa are largely pro-Putin, or are being organized/financed by Russia. It's like the liberal version of the (((Soros))) crap.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This is just wrong.

Just because the only time you hear about him is when he criticizes someone on the left, and not even actually criticize them but their tactics and the perception of them (like he did with AntiFa) doesn't mean he spends his time as a right-wing comedian.

He's actually been improving since Trump took office and I'm liking him more than Jon Stewart's maddening vanilla stance towards the left sometimes.

And Trevor Noah's life isn't exactly something to ignore when thinking about what he says in his show and what he believes in. This guy was born in a country where his birth was illegal, so I think he has plenty of credibility when it comes to matters of how to bridge racial and political divides, or at least respect his opinion.
Thank you.

Got me there. Regardless, I still think it's ridiculous to suggest that antifa are largely pro-Putin, or are being organized/financed by Russia. It's like the liberal version of the (((Soros))) crap.
Again, we were talking about specific antifa groups in Europe and Canada having Russian sympathizers. Nothing to do with (((Soros))) conspiracy theories, FFS.

Putin happily supports anyone whose views are beneficial to him. Be it right or left

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...nge_groups_on_the_far_right_and_far_left.html

Putin is not a far left darling. It doesnt matter if he funded a far left party / org here and there. People who advocate for leftist ideals do not like Putin, do not see him as an idol and do not pursue his homophobic, reactionary neoliberal capitalism bullshit.

This is just both sides-ism. There is actually more convergence between Putin social and economic policies and those of the liberals / centrists.

I'm just doubting the credibility of the story as it's told.

I think you just dont like your view of Antifa being challenged by facts.

Phrynobatrachus

Neo Member
Again, we were talking about specific antifa groups in Europe and Canada having Russian sympathizers. Nothing to do with (((Soros))) conspiracy theories, FFS.

Jill Stein isn't Canadian or European, wat

Putin is an anti-globslist darling, anti-EU darling, anti-NATO darling regardless of Left or Right

they support any disruptive political party from different countries that disrupts the establishment, the EU, the West and NATO

so really your argument is basically 'tankies say stupid shit in the name of fighting 'western imperialism.' you're right, they do it with syria too. my problem with this is that tankies don't have a monopoly on antifa or anything else related to the left.

Putin is not a far left darling. It doesnt matter if he funded a far right party here and there. People who advocate for leftist ideals do not like Putin, do not see him as an idol and do not pursue his homophobic, reactionary neoliberal capitalism bullshit.

This is just both sides-ism. There is actually more convergence between Putin social and economic policies and those of the liberals / centrists.

Putin is an anti-globslist darling, anti-EU darling, anti-NATO darling regardless of Left or Right

they support any disruptive political party from different countries that disrupts the establishment, the EU, the West and NATO

the daming part is the money, when the money trickles in from a foreign country.

You guys lived it, with Trump. You got one in the White House

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Jill Stein isn't Canadian or European, wat
Are you being deliberately obtuse? I didn't bring her up because she's Canadian or European and you know it. But in case you are just being dense:

- Gutter_trash and I are explaining that some Canadian and European antifas have Russian/Putin sympathizers
- You said that was "delusional nonsense"
- I asked if you were from Montreal, because it appears you are clearly not familiar with our local antifas.
- You deflected and said no one on the far-left likes Putin.
- Since you don't seem familiar with Canadian or European antifas or politics in general, I gave an example of one far left person you actually might be familiar with (Jill Stein), who is a Russian sympathizer.

In other words: yes, there are extreme leftists who are indeed Russian sympathizers, even if it seems counter-intuitive. Typically it's because of the reasons gutter_trash explained, or sometimes it's just an irrational version of anti-Americanism. Explaining that these things do exist isn't "delusional nonsense", but denying that they do, sure is.

Gaz_RB

Stories corroborated by multiple eye witnesses, including a rabbi? Okay.

I'm a skeptical guy.

Putin is not a far left darling. It doesnt matter if he funded a far left party / org here and there. People who advocate for leftist ideals do not like Putin, do not see him as an idol and do not pursue his homophobic, reactionary neoliberal capitalism bullshit.

I think you just dont like your view of Antifa being challenged by facts.

lol because antifa is a singular group.

https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21643222-who-backs-putin-and-why-kremlins-pocket

even in France's last election, they had a hand directly to the party or indirectly to an individual candidate.

(Far-Right) Marine Le Pen and Le Front National being the most obvious one without even hiding the fact they received Russian money.
http://time.com/4627780/russia-national-front-marine-le-pen-putin/

(Far-Left) Jean-Luc Mélenchon taking an anti-EU stance and saying nice things about Putin from the Far-Left's La France Insoumise:
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...enchon-germany-putin-french-presidential-race

(Right) And the Conservative candidate (Républicain) François Fillon has business interests with Russia that affected his plaform pertaining to Russian relations.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ladimir-putin-lebanese-billionaire-allegation

LOL thankfully none of them won

More liberal / centrists fake news. You need to check your ideological bias tbh:

This is what Melenchon actually said and that they article you posted misrepresents awfully

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Up_ICBedE

And he is the de facto opposition leader in France atm. With darling neoliberal Macron popularity at the same levels of Trump, we are probably not seeing the last of him hehe.

Phrynobatrachus

Neo Member
- Gutter_trash and I are explaining that some Canadian and European antifas have Russian/Putin sympathizers

cool

no, I mean that pretending like it's the entirety, or even the majority, of the far-left is wrong
- I asked if you were from Montreal, because it appears you are clearly not familiar with our local antifas.

not as much as you surely

no, see above

In other words: yes, there are extreme leftists who are indeed Russian sympathizers, even if it seems counter-intuitive. Typically it's because of the reasons gutter_trash explained, or sometimes it's just an irrational version of anti-Americanism. Explaining that these things do exist isn't "delusional nonsense", but denying that they do, sure is.

see above

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
More liberal / centrists fake news.
The Guardian, Time, and The Economist are fake news? Are you kidding me?

WTF is this link? It looks like something out of Google translate. Completely incoherent.

Are you trolling us?

cool
no, I mean that pretending like it's the entirety, or even the majority, of the far-left is wrong
Which isn't what gutter_trash said. This is the post you called "delusional nonsense" without even elaborating
not as much as you surely

no, see above

see above
no u

K then.

Phrynobatrachus

Neo Member

Kinyou

More liberal / centrists fake news. You need to check your ideological bias tbh:

This is what Melenchon actually said and that they article you posted misrepresents awfully

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Up_ICBedE

And he is the de facto opposition leader in France atm. With darling neoliberal Macron popularity at the same levels of Trump, we are probably not seeing the last of him hehe.
Are you really saying we shouldn't listen to the Times, Guardian etc. but instead listen to some unknown media blog, written by apparently anonymous authors, that tells the real story?

This feels like an inverted Trump supporter post.

necrosis

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I didn't bring her up because she's Canadian or European and you know it. But in case you are just being dense:

- Since you don't seem familiar with Canadian or European antifas or politics in general, I gave an example of one far left person you actually might be familiar with (Jill Stein), who is a Russian sympathizer.

antifa isn't a group; it's a movement opposing fascist ideologies and individuals. it draws support from across the political spectrum and as such is not representative of the far-left -- rather, it is representative of opposition to the far-right

regardless, even if some of those professing antifa values support putin, i can assure you that they are in the minority. i'll actually go further than that and say that no true leftist is a supporter of putin's russia

Top Bottom