• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Mafia |OT| Grin and Bear It

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Like most people, I am constrained by real life. I was getting lynched for sure, but I needed to focus on my real job. I role claimed and went back to work. I think this was a good choice because it gave you guys a few hours to come up with a replacement. A lot of good discussion in that frenzy - much more than we would have gotten if I voted for somebody (Crab: "Your vote makes no sense for town. You should be voting for _______. VOTE: Makai")

Don't give me that shit. My vote wasn't a surprise, you had literally days.

My theory about the only thing that we can reliably look to is text no more correct/incorrect than your theory about it being gut read.

If you know of any other person whose posts have been more inconsistent, it will be your job to disprove my claim.

Yes, it is absolutely your job if you wanted your vote to sound legitimate then or later.

Sure, fine, I'll type up a mega-post this evening. Before I do so, here's a more relevant question: suppose I come up with an incredibly persuasive post detailing why player X is much more suspiscious than me? What do you, kgtrep, do then? Do you lynch me anyway, despite heavy reasons not to, or do you lynch yourself, despite the fact (fypov) you know you are Hope?

I hope (heheheheh) that when you reflect on that question, you'll realize how absolutely completely and totally stupid your decision to use your ability now is (assuming you actually are Hope).

Makai

I too have some problems with Mak's claim. Specifically that he attached a character name to it. I'll put more effort into this game when it isn't the weekend. I'm still following the thread though.
My role PM does not include the name. But I noticed the coincidence a few minutes into the video game.

Makoto said:
"Before we go any farther, I guess I should introduce myself. My name's Makoto Naegi"
I don't think I would have noticed but for your nickname excluding the last two letters of my name.

I started reading this and bought it until the last sentence with the characters name. With the roles being randomized it's highly unlikely that a coincidience like this would occur.
Wrong. Sure, it is unlikely that any given coincidence occurs, but what is the likelihood of no interesting coincidences occuring? Zero. Major coincidences are bound to happen.

kgtrep

Sure, fine, I'll type up a mega-post this evening. Before I do so, here's a more relevant question: suppose I come up with an incredibly persuasive post detailing why player X is much more suspiscious than me? What do you, kgtrep, do then? Do you lynch me anyway, despite heavy reasons not to, or do you lynch yourself, despite the fact (fypov) you know you are Hope?

I hope (heheheheh) that when you reflect on that question, you'll realize how absolutely completely and totally stupid your decision to use your ability now is (assuming you actually are Hope).

If I died today but Hope wins at the end, it's a win for me nonetheless.

Post #333
I am aligned with Hope, so I just need some of us to survive and wipe out all you mafia to win this game.

To address goshujinsama's and a few others' concern about whether my power can be used more than once:
My reasons are to do with the possibility of his power recharging and due to my faith in Crab being a more valuable Hope player. With the possibility of his power recharging, I rather not have an encore of today’s situation. It is a constraint upon town’s ability to survey a larger pool to consider lynching from and a dangerous ability that may end up costing Hope wider analysis points due to the tunnel vision side effect created by this duel mechanism.

You have to understand how much time and effort are required to build one solid case. A few reasons that I used it on Day 2 were,

(1) Hopes would be aware early of another power in this game and how it works,

(2) The amount of work that I would need to do would be less than had I used it later, (the power would be useless if I died before I get to use it)

(3) I can now put my full effort into helping you guys decode the messages and provide information.

This gives Despair the reason to lynch me instead of one of you during the night. So far, I am the only person that you know who knows how to encode and decode messages.

Makai

Don't give me that shit. My vote wasn't a surprise, you had literally days.
Oh yeah? I explained over and over again why I was voting No Punishment. You declared this an illegitimate strategy because I won't have a voting history. To refute this, I gave a personal example from last game where No Punishment was a strong voting pattern. You didn't accept this and demanded I vote for somebody. I told you who I suspected the most - you and CzarTim. Then you kept going. Now you wanted to know what information I would get at night - you wanted my role ability. I revealed my role title but not ability. Things are no longer going according to keikaku and you lose your cool. My role-claim was worth it just to see you squirm this much. You seemed like a stoic at the start of the game.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If I died today but Hope wins at the end, it's a win for me nonetheless.

Nononono, that's not an answer to *my* question. If I give you a post that sufficiently convinces you it is highly improbable I am scum, what do you do? Who do you vote?

kgtrep

Nononono, that's not an answer to *my* question. If I give you a post that sufficiently convinces you it is highly improbable I am scum, what do you do? Who do you vote?

Sorry, I'm lost. What are you talking about? When I had first read your post, I had thought you meant, whether I would vote for X on Day 3 .

Of course I'm voting for you today. I made my case for why we should remove you from this game.

CzarTim

Sorry, I'm lost. What are you talking about? When I had first read your post, I had thought you meant, whether I would vote for X on Day 3 .

Of course I'm voting for you today. I made my case for why we should remove you from this game.
Did you? I must have missed it. Please link.

*Splinter

I'll go through you're initial response first. Partly to respond to your points but also to point out that despite its ridiculous length (I feel we are truly in the nuclear arms race of post size now), it has very little content.

First, some fluff where you claim to be Hope again (in case anyone thought you might claim Despair). You also attack kgtrep's role (take it up with Launch, I guess?) and his decision to use it:
Yawn.

This is going be a boring and pointless day.

That's a super non-Towny role. By focusing the lynch on one of two people, you waste a whole day if neither of those people are Hope. If you lynch me, you have absolutely nothing because, shocker, I am Hope, and you're on Day 2 with four dead Hope and no information because our power roles keep pissing around doing nothing, and in this case, actively restricting participation to two players. It also has a huge flaw in that it's tantamount to delivering a hammer on one of two players, but I'm assuming it activates at night, so you don't get any chance to ask if someone is a power role and back off. The very nature of the way that power role works - anti-information and anti-power role - makes me suspect it as a Despair role rather than a Hope role.
I know you already retracted that last statement, but let's not ignore the flawed logic on display there. It's entirely possible to question someone, back off, and THEN use this power in the night. 'Anti-info' and 'anti-PR' you didn't even bother to substantiate, these are mental gymnastics made to paint trep's role in the most negative light.

Distractions made, you now move on to some of trep's actual points:
But hey ho, let's go through your points. First one is something about how I'm passive-aggressive. No shit when we have geniuses like yourself making actions like this. Maybe if our key players actually made sensible decisions I wouldn't have to, but it's fairly clear that I'm not needed to cloud judgements, you're all capable of making stupid decisions by yourself.
This isn't an argument, this is a personal attack. There were hints of this yesterday and it's become more explicit today. I don't like it, but I do have a question about it:
How are you SO certain that the people attacking you are incompetent town? Surely it's just as possible that Despair players are attacking you to undermine you? I considered two possibilities
1. You are Hope. You are annoyed to be under attack by players whose opinions you do not respect. For some reason you do not consider the possibility that they are Despair and attack them for being especially incompetent Hope players.
2. You are Despair. You are annoyed to be under fire so early for what you consider to be the 'wrong' reasons. You attack your aggressors partly to undermine them but also to punish them for playing the game 'wrong'.
If there is a better explanation please provide it. To me option 1 makes much less tactical sense than option 2, and your chiding of CornBurrito for not voting on you yesterday was the post that swung me from doubt to outright distrust (and prompted me to vote).
Re: Hagi, I thought Hagi was less suspicious than scum. I don't have magical ninja control skills over the rest of town. You can't blame their votes on me, that's their responsibility.
This is easy to say but doesn't match up with reality. There was very little time for us to focus our votes and you must have been well aware of your influence over the group. You can claim until you're blue in the face that you don't want to be leader, it isn't going to stop people following you.

For the record, I'm attacking your argument here but I do not support this point by kgtrep. I don't blame you for Hagi, he was as good a choice as any in the time available.
The next one is some weird stuff about activity rates. I like to be active around the deadline, because otherwise you get Visualante'd, yes. You're also blaming me for Makai not giving reads again, after CornBurrito spent all day doing that yesterday. Finding me suspicious for posting lots near the deadline? Have you read any of the GAF mafia games before? People don't post until the deadline for some weird reason, so you can try and get information out of people before that and they just stonewall you like incompetents.
I'm not touching the activity stuff. The graphs were cool 'n' all, but I don't think being active near the deadline is much of a case for anything.
There isn't much else in this paragraph. A brief mention of Makai (which I think we're about to cover in better detail) and then another unnecessary personal comment against people not playing the game the 'right' way.
Finally, you just go over some bullshit stuff, again. I'm going to put this in bold letters so everyone gets the point.

IT WAS NOT NECESSARY FOR MAKAI TO CLAIM. IT IS ALMOST NEVER NECESSARY FOR PRS TO CLAIM

Let's go through the situation in which you claim: there are 10 votes on you, you need 11 for the lynch, and the 11th person says "you claim now, or I lynch you". Then you claim. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 <----- READ THIS BIT CAREFULLY

Let's go through the situation in which you do not claim: there are 2 votes on you, you need 11 for the lynch, and 2nd person says "you give me suspects now, or I don't move my vote". Then you give suspects, like the game is supposed to work, and then those people move on, like the game is supposed to work. Gosh, difficult.
This is a long way of saying that Makai didn't play the game 'right' (I keep emphasising that, I will come back to it when I'm done with your posts). But here's a better idea: why not leave Makai for one day, just to see if he comes up with anything more substantial. You had suspicions from early on about him having a role, and it would have been very easy for you to move on. You even did once, noting that he was consistent in his responses and unlikely to suddenly change tack. You prodded Salva (and maybe someone else, don't remember) and then returned to Makai to push even harder. Again, I'll consider the options
1. You are Hope. You considered the possibility that he is a PR but decided against it, and were sure enough in this decision to keep probing him at the risk of being a PR.
2. You are Despair. You quickly identify and question the less active posters to see what drops. You identify one or more likely PRs and discover a safe path to attack Makai. You keep pushing for opinions he isn't going to give until he either gives his opinions (nevermind, get him later), reveals his role, or is lynched by the group. And hey, when his role is revealed you can just blame him, he should have played the way you told him to.
I'd like to point out that if Makai had been two hours later (stuck in traffic, power cut, busy, whatever) he would have been punished and we'd be having the exact same conversation, STILL with people trusting you but we'd be down a PR.
I'd also like to point out we left KingKitty off the hook for much less. To be honest I don't really understand what happened there.

You then say "we can't know Crab's true intent". Sure, fine, you can't. Doesn't mean I'm Despair, or by that logic all 21 of us are Despair.
This is disingenuous. kgtrep is simply stating that since we can't know your intent, people should consider multiple possibilities. I don't know why you even addressed this but your answer doesn't offer anything to support/discredit any of these possibilities.
You then say "ah, but look, he said he thought Makai wasn't a power role!". NO SHIT. What the fuck do you think happens to a power role if all of town go "Yup, they're probably a power role." Open power role speculation is NEVER a pro-town move - CzarTim called Corn out on it earlier and I totally agree. Even if I thought someone was absolutely and totally a PR, I would never say so. Never. Even if they were going to get lynched - the onus is on them to find a way out of it (although I wouldn't vote for them at the point of lynch).
This is kind of a repeat of earlier, but there are options beyond "keep attacking" and "call his role". Give him a day, it's literally all that he kept asking. If you are town, how were you so certain he wasn't a PR that you thought this was the best course of action?
Finally you say Makai followed my suggestion. Fuck off, no he didn't. Makai had, iirc, 2 or 3 votes on him when he claimed. That's patently not following (my advice) just about to lynched, and you know it. Lazy pushing at its worst.
more stuff about Makai, and I think you are underselling the situation here. We had 2 hours to go and Makai was running out of options by the time he claimed. He also had 5 votes, not 2 or 3.
I won't contest that Makai played poorly, but (if you are Hope) I don't think you were much better.
Then there's some stuff about my consistency. First you say I said "always give reasons when you vote" (true). Then you try to say I haven't given reasons (false), by pointing out I don't link to individual posts often. No shit, being scummy isn't about a single post, it's about a collective series of actions. If you actually read all of those posts, I give a reason in every single one, so you're lying. I gave reasons for those I didn't vote, too - kingkitty and Rest, so you're just straight up ignoring that.
I guess this is a fair defence on this point. I disagree if you are calling trep a liar for this though. I too felt you were moving the goalposts with your voting habits compared to your advice, and questioned you on this yesterday. I won't repeat that conversation now.

Final one is just boring. I put it both ways for emphasis. Here it is: I am not mafia because I am active as all hell, constantly contribute, make actual reasons, etc.
I've mentioned before how unhelpful it is to make these absolute statements.

I'll go through your other posts before looking for points you've ignored, but off the top of my head: my post about bandwagons?

Also, please explain where you feel Rest lied. And are you still claiming that I am a liar? If so, where?

*Splinter

It's our scum team tactic

This day is a complete waste of time even if one of them end up being scum we're going to learn nothing.
lol, even if you generally think Crab is hope, how could eliminating a false Hope leader be considered a "waste of time"

CzarTim

Can we all agree that no other ability will beat Super level high school pancake flipper. Fran was the only winner of this game.

CzarTim

lol, even if you generally think Crab is hope, how could eliminating a false Hope leader be considered a "waste of time"
Who are his scumbuddies (besides me of course). Using this ability now allows scum to either hide behind an easy lynch of a townie or bus an ally. We learn nothing compared to kg making his case and seeing who ignores or refutes it without the constraints of a THUNDERDOME.

It's our scum team tactic

This day is a complete waste of time even if one of them end up being scum we're going to learn nothing.

Lol really? If Crab is despair there's no value in him being eliminated? He's dangerous if Despair. Getting him out would be great. You have to lynch Despair to win, yet doing the thing we have to do to win is a waste of time?

Meanwhile other value if he is Despair is that we can look at who distanced themselves from Crab entirely. Who never interacted with him? And why?

Also we can explore reasons why franconp was murdered and figure out our potential D3 target.

Perhaps you are just an ass, but I think Crab is belittling people to undermine their confidence so that he can get out of this alive and continue to play false leader. When you undermine everyone else, it solidifies your role as leader. And it robs people of any reason to vote for him other than "he's mean". I think it is deliberate.

But if you are both Despair it would be fucking dumb of you to both do it, especially today.

*Splinter

Who are his scumbuddies (besides me of course). Using this ability now allows scum to either hide behind an easy lynch of a townie or bus an ally. We learn nothing compared to kg making his case and seeing who ignores or refutes it without the constraints of a THUNDERDOME.
True, but suppose for a second that Crab is Despair. I think the late day 1 conversation showed that Crab isn't going to be punished any time soon without someone else putting their neck on the line. He's already done damage, I believe we have to deal with this urgently. Yes we get slightly less information this way, but we're also more likely to get a result that Hope desperately needs.

CzarTim

If you think someone is scum and can't get them lynched without an ability, I don't know what to tell you, That's what Mafia is.

CzarTim

You aren't being helpfully aggressive.
If anyone was being helpful this game I'd be more sympathetic. But alas I keep getting cursed into the crazy game of the season so here we are.

Now do you have a specific question for me or are you going to keep questioning why I'm trying to gauge reactions from people.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Okay, I've been letting my thoughts simmer and have come to this conclusion:

I don't think either of them are dispair, at least not from the evidence we have right now. I think Crab is saying the things that need to be said, and that KG has hopes best interests, even if I feel he did screw up by using his ability far too early in the game to make a REAL educated attack against dispair.

Now that being said, we have to vote someone, there is no other option. So if I'm not voting for who I think is scum, then I must base my vote on how much it will help the town. Therefore:

VOTE: Crab

Dispite the fact that I feel he is the stronger player of the two, his polarization makes him the better option. As long as Crab lives there will be people who will derail logical discussion because they want to see him punished, whether he really should be or not. Also, we will confirm his alignment and maybe, just maybe, people will take his advice seriously for once in this game.

Oh, and KG, I'd you ever use this ability again, YOU BETTER BE %100 GUARANTEED POSTIVE DISPAIR, OR I WILL LYNCH YOU ON POLICY!

CzarTim

At this point, TB, I'm kind of where you're at thought process wise. But I want to wait a little while because of something related to fight club (remember the first rule of fight club). Not happy about this turn of events but here we are. Sometimes in mafia we're dealt shitty hands.

kgtrep

Okay, I've been letting my thoughts simmer and have come to this conclusion:

I don't think either of them are dispair, at least not from the evidence we have right now. I think Crab is saying the things that need to be said, and that KG has hopes best interests, even if I feel he did screw up by using his ability far too early in the game to make a REAL educated attack against dispair.

Now that being said, we have to vote someone, there is no other option. So if I'm not voting for who I think is scum, then I must base my vote on how much it will help the town. Therefore:

Dispite the fact that I feel he is the stronger player of the two, his polarization makes him the better option. As long as Crab lives there will be people who will derail logical discussion because they want to see him punished, whether he really should be or not. Also, we will confirm his alignment and maybe, just maybe, people will take his advice seriously for once in this game.

Oh, and KG, I'd you ever use this ability again, YOU BETTER BE %100 GUARANTEED POSTIVE DISPAIR, OR I WILL LYNCH YOU ON POLICY!

I can't use my power again, thank God. The preparation is very stressful. Thanks for your vote!

But alas I keep getting cursed into the crazy game of the season so here we are

0cVFrIi.gif

Terrabyte20xx

At this point, TB, I'm kind of where you're at thought process wise. But I want to wait a little while because of something related to fight club (remember the first rule of fight club). Not happy about this turn of events but here we are. Sometimes in mafia we're dealt shitty hands.
Does it have anything g to do with the second rule of fight club?

Kalor

I have to agree with you that if we don't lynch Crab today then some people will just push for him tomorrow and we'll effectively waste another day if that is the case. At this point we should try to discuss something else and come back to this later.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
okay im deadly bored with this game now. i dont really want to play with a town where the PRs just throw out random shit and don't know how to use their roles. kalor is right, by being in this game ill derail things regardless of whether i survive or not. lynch me, look like idiots tomorrow, and continue on with the game. the one bright side is you might actually listen to my advice when im dead and confirmed Hope.

will role-claim if anyone wants

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If you guys don't want to play, ask Launchpad for a replacement.

and that point of that would be? kgtrep's decision makes this entire day a waste of time. I am Hope. kgtrep is also very probably Hope. kgtrep can't admit he's wrong, because what else is he going to do aside from vote me - he can't vote himself, after all. So, he's going to be stubborn the whole day long rather than admit he locked himself into voting a Hope player. Even if town decided I'm more useful than kgtrep (more useful by a mile), it doesn't actually help because I'll be tarred with suspiscion anyway. Just vote for me, make me role-claim if you want, then move on with your lives. You'll hopefully play better as a result because you'll listen to my good-faith advice.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
none of those truths change if I replace out, so let's just get this over and done with.

And besides, voting for yourself is against the rules iirc.

As for me, I wanted to post some thoughts on people (besides Crab and kgtrep for now) but I'm clearly still short on consistent time, especially with how many posts this game has at this point. I'd like to post more than one of these reads at once as I did before, but I suppose it's better that I do this so you know I'm still around and trying to keep up with the game.

This is concerning Sawneeks.

I notice that her opinions very much mirror crabs. In particular she voted for Terrabyte for not letting up off of KingKitty when Crab said that they should focus on more important things, and she voted for Makai because other people were noting that he wasn't doing anything besides talk about old games and push focus away. I'm a fan of people who are at least somewhat contrarian, so it makes me more weary of a player who mimics a strong player, it feels similar to hiding behind a rock to stay safe. I suppose eventually you'll have to find some overlap with opinions, and it is early, but the overall day 1 with her is something that I don't really like. If I could vote on her today I probably would based off of the day 1 topics.

and that point of that would be?

To perhaps not ruin everyone else's time by getting mad that a large amount of us are new to forum mafia entirely? We get it. We are a blight on GAF forum mafia/ We all suck and if we were even half as enlightened by our own intelligence as you and CzarTim we would all just quit right now and never play again so that we wouldn't shit up this thing ever again.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
To perhaps not ruin everyone else's time by getting mad that a large amount of us are new to forum mafia entirely? We get it. We are a blight on GAF forum mafia/ We all suck and if we were even half as enlightened by our own intelligence as you and CzarTim we would all just quit right now and never play again so that we wouldn't shit up this thing ever again.

OoC: (you're fine. it's your first game. don't worry about it. outside of mafia, I love you all. <3 mafia's intense, is all)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
always remember it could be worse, i could be Darryl

Terrabyte20xx

You know what really irks me? This day should've been us argueing over mak's last second RNH style roleclaim, or if kingkitty should be killed after his little stunt, or maybe taking out AB for still being REALLY freaking silent.

But noooooo, we have to argue which hope player do will kill, and we HAVE to kill one of them.

Top Bottom