• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours |OT| A local couch co-op shmup in 2015, aw yiss.

All the preview footage says no so far. Youre just getting the the new ships along with their unique mechanics but shooting the same enemies as before.

I personally would kill for some of the old bosses from past darius titles to get remade in some future dlc down the line though.

Thanks for the info. I might wait for a sale in that case (or just wait until I've finished the main game).

I really need to get into past Darius games. I've never really played them before, apart from this game... A retro themed piece of DLC with past levels/bosses would be awesome for sure.

Momentary

Banned
They could have at least added 1 new enemy type and one boss from each series. That would have made for some awesome additions. With that said, I'm still enjoying the hell out of the new ships.

I feel the game needs to add:

Replays of high scores (I want to see how to get high scores.)
Practice Mode (Like a boss practice. How in the hell am I supposed to beat Nightmare, Bite, and Thing?)
A model viewer. (*Not that important... but man it would be nice.)

VariantX

They could have at least added 1 new enemy type and one boss from each series. That would have made for some awesome additions. With that said, I'm still enjoying the hell out of the new ships.

I feel the game needs to add:

Replays of high scores (I want to see how to get high scores.)
Practice Mode (Like a boss practice. How in the hell am I supposed to beat Nightmare, Bite, and Thing?)
A model viewer. (*Not that important... but man it would be nice.)

I specifically asked about the boss rush thing in one of the streams. You could fight any boss you wanted in G Darius so you could focus on learning them .

KDR_11k

Okay, so the SEGA Pack is here. Opa Opa seems to be the weakest ship in the whole game since his super meter is replaced with the shop, every time you buy something the price increases, coins (which spawn when you would get meter with other ships) drop to the bottom of the screen so you have to stay there to pick them up and all powerups are either one-shot or limited to a few seconds. And to top that off the first Fantasy Zone stage ends with Azure Nightmare... So basically you're managing a complex yet weak burst attack system to compensate for the weakness of your main weapon AND it gets permanently longer to charge every time you use it.

The other two seem fairly regular, especially the Galaxy Force one. Harrier and Opa Opa don't use the turn button, instead you have to stop shooting and move the character to turn them... The Galaxy Force can counter-burst in a fashion, dodging through a burst beam instantly refills your energy gauge and charges your ship up with a high multiplier.

The new levels include boss duels against Dual Claw, GTV and GTB. Also a defender mode that ends in Gigantic Bite.

Shinriji

I just want a AC mode update with the original 5 stages per route (3 feels really short) or all stage in one special route.

Is there any cabinet further than unlock b?

ChryZ

LTTP but I'm having a blast with Dariusburst CS, such a great package. The CS mode will keep me busy for ages.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAS I was waiting for cards
to sell

I must be missing something. I've beat 9 levels in CS Mode, and I can't beat any other levels to move on. And when I die I don't even get any points to buy new ships or anything.

I must be missing something. I've beat 9 levels in CS Mode, and I can't beat any other levels to move on. And when I die I don't even get any points to buy new ships or anything.

Learning how to use each ship's burst is crucial - normal firepower isn't enough for many of them. Get as much value out of it as possible, and figure out how you can sustain it for a long time against certain enemies or boss attacks.

And definitely learn how to counterburst consistently, which will make a big difference against bosses.

Learning how to use each ship's burst is crucial - normal firepower isn't enough for many of them. Get as much value out of it as possible, and figure out how you can sustain it for a long time against certain enemies or boss attacks.

And definitely learn how to counterburst consistently, which will make a big difference against bosses.

OK I buckled down and played for about 5 hours yesterday. I've made a TON of progress in CS mode. New levels keep unlocking all over the place. Map screen reminds me of Ridge Racer. Today I hope to unlock the Murakumo. Game is amazing. The only thing that bums me out is when I play a level that has like 10 stages, and then I die, and I get nothing for it. It just goes to a GAME OVER screen so abruptly and then nothing. It's heartbreaking! I feel like you should get *some* points even when you die.

Also in the cabinet mode (playing on cabinet 14), I was playing around yesterday and captured a couple levels, and my PSN ID shows up which is cool. But then I looked around at the levels that WERE unlocked, probably a lot of them by Gaffers, and there were no PSN IDs listed for those. Are they supposed to show up?

Allforce

This is on sale for 35 clams on PSN this week, and I have one (probably dumb) question that I'm 99% sure the answer is "YES" but I can't find anything definitive so far.

So I come to you, GAF.

Does this support PS4 arcade sticks? I have a Hori HRAP V for PS3/PS4 and I love playing shmups with a stick. I'm not tossing out 35 bucks if I have to use the DualShock4 only (say, mandatory right stick controls).

Thanks!

Sophia

This is on sale for 35 clams on PSN this week, and I have one (probably dumb) question that I'm 99% sure the answer is "YES" but I can't find anything definitive so far.

So I come to you, GAF.

Does this support PS4 arcade sticks? I have a Hori HRAP V for PS3/PS4 and I love playing shmups with a stick. I'm not tossing out 35 bucks if I have to use the DualShock4 only (say, mandatory right stick controls).

Thanks!

It was an arcade game first and only uses four buttons max regardless of ship.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I forgot how hard this game was. It ain't cheap like Raiden though, it just takes a lot of skill to get the hang of it IMO.

ChryZ

CS Mode ending credits! 41 hours of joy, blood and tears. I'm not even done yet, because I made a beeline for Suriaha and only cleared the big waypoints (mostly). Damn, there's almost too much content.

One of the best SHMUP home conversions out there!

EDIT: also GIGANTIC BITE can eat a dick, that is all.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
CS Mode ending credits! 41 hours of joy, blood and tears. I'm not even done yet, because I made a beeline for Suriaha and only cleared the big waypoints (mostly). Damn, there's almost too much content.

One of the best SHMUP home conversions out there!

EDIT: also GIGANTIC BITE can eat a dick, that is all.

Kudos man, I gave up on the CS crusade a long time ago. Shit gets difficult real fast. D:

ChryZ

Kudos man, I gave up on the CS crusade a long time ago. Shit gets difficult real fast. D:
Cheers!

I struggled in the beginning, although once I learned all the quirks of each ship the play through accelerated immensely. Counter burst is very helpful and some of the bosses got massive "blindspots", else it's mainly maximizing burst to its fullest efficiency: damage and cover. All that bumps down the difficulty quite a bit.

KDR_11k

OK I buckled down and played for about 5 hours yesterday. I've made a TON of progress in CS mode. New levels keep unlocking all over the place. Map screen reminds me of Ridge Racer. Today I hope to unlock the Murakumo. Game is amazing. The only thing that bums me out is when I play a level that has like 10 stages, and then I die, and I get nothing for it. It just goes to a GAME OVER screen so abruptly and then nothing. It's heartbreaking! I feel like you should get *some* points even when you die.

Also in the cabinet mode (playing on cabinet 14), I was playing around yesterday and captured a couple levels, and my PSN ID shows up which is cool. But then I looked around at the levels that WERE unlocked, probably a lot of them by Gaffers, and there were no PSN IDs listed for those. Are they supposed to show up?

For people reading this now: They patched it so you do get points on a game over.

Is there any word on when/if the Vita version is going to get these patches? I don't think it's received any of these updates for months.

Shinriji

Hard to tell. They don't appear to use the same numbering. The PC version is at Rev.5782.

The patch notes say "v1.00 Rev. 5782" tho. :

Vita (JP) is on 1.04. The last patch gave the "restart" option, performance upgrades and fixed the Galaxy Force ship rolling bug.

Yeah, the US Vita version is still on 1.03. No wonder we don't have these new features. Hopefully they give us the patch too.

Shinriji

VITA (JP) PATCH 1.05

- CS Mode: You get points even if you failed a mission
- DLC Mode: Fixes for Galaxy Force and Metal Black DLC ships bug.
- All modes: "Sound Volume" option added to pause menu.

IbukiLordSA

I finally picked up the game on the special as it's only the equivalent of $19 on my local PSN store, so to me this is a pretty decent price.

Game is great fun however if I paid full price for this it would have left a sour taste in my mouth.

Alkuk

Neo Member
Europe PS4-Version is still 1.03. No restart or points in CS game over.
Will we get the latest version or is it something like "ah, sales were bad in europe, lets not waste our resources ..."?

Sophia

How does Darius Burst compare to the other games in the series? I think Gaiden is my favourite out of the ones I've played.

Gaiden is insanely polished, in terms of production values. Darius Burst isn't as polished, and has a bit more repeat in it's content. The big draw however is the sheer amount of content. AC (Arcade/Another Chronicle) Mode has 24 stages alone, and CS Mode has 186 stages with some minor repeat in bosses and content. There's also a mission mode in AC Mode called Chronicle Mode, which has thousands of missions.

I'd say I'd rank it just behind Darius Gaiden and G-Darius. It's a fantastic game, and huge replay value.

1.05 is out for the US version now. I look forward to jumping back into CS mode and not wasting my time when I die by losing all my points.

Well apparently I'm the only one still playing this haha. I can confirm the latest PS4 update gives you points even if you lose a stage (only took 'em eight months). Feels Goodman. Game is still unforgiving as hell, and they could do a way better job of explaining how things work. The Murakumo will be mine one day, just over 500,000 points to go.

Sophia

Well apparently I'm the only one still playing this haha. I can confirm the latest PS4 update gives you points even if you lose a stage (only took 'em eight months). Feels Goodman. Game is still unforgiving as hell, and they could do a way better job of explaining how things work. The Murakumo will be mine one day, just over 500,000 points to go.

I still play it, but just on PC. :p

Haven't touched it in a little bit tho.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Top Bottom