• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours |OT| A local couch co-op shmup in 2015, aw yiss.

Weevilone

The physical-or-no-sale mentality is one that can and has closed doors to games being localized, so the snark is more than justified.

LOL so buy games in digital format for the good of the community? Games being released in digital format with no physical option shrinks the potential size of the customer base. It's just a fact. If the resulting base isn't sufficient then so be it.

No need to rehash the age old arguments, but people are going to buy whatever has value for them.

Back on topic, I'm glad to see the 21:9 support is now what it should have been. I'll pick it up at some point (again), so thanks Degica! Already have the physical Vita release!

eastx

LOL so buy games in digital format for the good of the community? Games being released in digital format with no physical option shrinks the potential size of the customer base. It's just a fact. If the resulting base isn't sufficient then so be it.

The market is zero for a game that doesn't get released, and the potential market is everyone when it does get released. Dinosaurs who choose not to buy games because they can't shelve or resell them are limiting their own choices, not the size of the gaming market. So: that was not a fact.

The market is zero for a game that doesn't get released, and the potential market is everyone when it does get released. Dinosaurs who choose not to buy games because they can't shelve or resell them are limiting their own choices, not the size of the gaming market. So: that was not a fact.

What are you talking about?

We have 2 groups of people in this. People who buy digital games and the people you've referred to as "dinosaurs", who won't buy digital games. The latter are not going to buy a digital-only game, so said game is limited to the former group. Do you actually not understand this?

Regardless, I'd like a source on any game that wasn't localized due to people only buying physical. If the potential increase in physical sales is huge enough to make or break a game, then there should obviously be a physical version. If the publisher decides not to follow their market and have a physical version, that's their own incompetence, not the fault of the consumer.

eastx

We have 2 groups of people in this. People who buy digital games and the people you've referred to as "dinosaurs", who won't buy digital games. The latter are not going to buy a digital-only game, so said game is limited to the former group. Do you actually not understand this?

Regardless, I'd like a source on any game that wasn't localized due to people only buying physical. If the potential increase in physical sales is huge enough to make or break a game, then there should obviously be a physical version. If the publisher decides not to follow their market and have a physical version, that's their own incompetence, not the fault of the consumer.

Degica is a small publisher. Maybe you should hire on with them and set up the retail channels and manufacturing necessary to produce a limited run of this niche game. You'll need to pay for the production run and shoulder the risk of unsold copies, but I'm sure that's no big deal. Competence, after all, brings a product to market, not money, infrastructure, etc.

Exempting one's self from the market of people who can purchase a game doesn't truly remove you from having the ability to purchase the game, was my original point.

Degica is a small publisher. Maybe you should hire on with them and set up the retail channels and manufacturing necessary to produce a limited run of this niche game. You'll need to pay for the production run and shoulder the risk of unsold copies, but I'm sure that's no big deal. Competence, after all, brings a product to market, not money, infrastructure, etc.

Exempting one's self from the market of people who can purchase a game doesn't truly remove you from having the ability to purchase the game, was my original point.

Well you've clearly taken a side on this issue without actually putting much thought in to it, so I'm not going to bother past this point.

Degica is a publisher. It is a publisher's job to bring a game to market. If Degica cannot bring a game to market in a physical format in order to appease a customer base that desires a physical product, that is on them. I don't understand why you insist upon condemning the people who aren't being catered to for something that is entirely within the publisher's hands. It is in this sense that competence brings a game to market.

That said, I don't think the lack of physical matters for this game. A small minority of people will insist upon a physical PS4 version. A small minority of people will insist upon a physical PSVita version. For the latter, they -- like myself -- can import.

If you can think of an actual example of a game not being localized because of these issues as I asked, feel free to PM me. I'm certainly interested.

eastx

If you can think of an actual example of a game not being localized because of these issues as I asked, feel free to PM me. I'm certainly interested.

I'm not really familiar with modern games getting passed over for localization, though I don't doubt it happens. I agree that would be interesting to read about, though.

Sorry for coming across as overly aggressive. But I think your assumption that a publisher is obligated to produce all possible forms of a product, regardless of market realities or their ability to do so, is simply unrealistic.

It's not unlike criticizing an indie game for using pixel art instead of a more elaborate art style or 3D models or something. Maybe they'd like to do those things, but as a company they don't have the ability (or money) to do that. Again, they can't just snap their fingers and produce a retail product. And digital-only publishers are not in the wrong, inferior, or incompetent in any way.

For a physical-only person, all roads must lead to games being produced physically, whether it's realistic or financially worthwhile to do so. I take the publisher's perspective, and like most people in this thread I'm thankful that we got an English release at all.

DMNBT

Neo Member
Just my 2 cents: It is absolutely the job of the publisher to provide a physical product, they are publishing after all. However, obviously not all publishers can afford physical products, and that's okay. What does irk me is: people who think all publishers HAVE to provide physical products for all of their games, and people who accuse people who want physical products of holding back the industry. They all have their reasons, as petty or important they may be, for wanting physical, and it is irksome that they are immediately labeled as relics.

Note: I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but I do think the debate here was more heated than it merited.

Note 2: I too want a physical PS4 copy, I don't want to deal with my country's PSN store :(

GOOCHY

"Having this game on my shelf is more important to me than playing it, or supporting the publisher who bothered to translate and release such a niche title."

(This is directed at the holdouts, rather than people who like physical games but will go with digital when that's the only option.)

To be clear, I'm not paying $60 (or $40) for a digital copy of a retro-style side scrolling shooter. I will pay $40 for a physical copy because I have the opportunity to recoup some of the cost in the future when I have completed the game or I am ready to part with it. Your ideological purity is impressing all of us, though.

HotHamBoy

Physical-or-no-sale is an awful mentality. Physical media is going away, that's just a fact. Manufacturing costs and distribution isn't feasible for a lot of projects. Why not support the people who made the game rather than allow the studio to go bankrupt or turn to safer, less interesting projects just because the publisher decided not to take a bath on physical distribution?

If the option is digital-only or no game at all then why wouldn't you just buy the digital game? You won't get a physical copy, regardless. I think people are too concerned with material possessions. Life should be more fluid. If you don't buy games like Darius or Digimon then guess what? No more Darius or Digimon.

Edit: to those of you who want physical for the purpose of resale: you are basically saying "this game isn't worth the asking price to me so I need to be able to resale to mitigate what I perceive as a loss." To which I say 1) why isn't a game you'll enjoy for many hours worth the asking price and 2) why don't you just buy it on sale rather than take an all-or-nothing view?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Physical-or-no-sale is an awful mentality. Physical media is going away, that's just a fact. Manufacturing costs and distribution isn't feasible for a lot of projects. Why not support the people who made the game rather than allow the studio to go bankrupt or turn to safer, less interesting projects just because the publisher decided not to take a bath on physical distribution?

If the option is digital-only or no game at all then why wouldn't you just buy the digital game? You won't get a physical copy, regardless. I think people are too concerned with material possessions. Life should be more fluid. If you don't buy games like Darius or Digimon then guess what? No more Darius or Digimon.
...and I just came in here to report that I just received my physical copy today! What luck!

klee123

I'm fine with the game being digital only.

However, I'm not fine with the asking price of 60USD for the digital PS4 version.

I would have been more than happy shelling out that price for Japanese physical copy, but eh.

I'll just wait for the sale. It's as simple as that.

grendelrt

Just popped up on my FB feed. YUM

CahJ7hpUcAArETc.jpg:large

joanot

I just bought it, my first Darius ever, loving it.

Is it possible to adjust the screen size & the borders ? Some hud elements & descriptions are out of the screen on the sides.

Can't find any options on the menus.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The first set of DLC (Metal Black, Rayforce (Layer Section), Night Striker) will be out in Japan on March 17 and I imagine the rest of the world will get it at the same time. The Japanese price is 500 yen for one ship or 1200 for all three.

There's no date or price for the Sega ships.

So is multi-monitor the only way to go with this game? Is it considered a staple in the shmup community? Competitive score attacks and what not?

PS4 would be cool, but multi-monitors are PC only :(

Also, are more than 2 monitors supported?

Sophia

So is multi-monitor the only way to go with this game? Is it considered a staple in the shmup community? Competitive score attacks and what not?

PS4 would be cool, but multi-monitors are PC only :(

Also, are more than 2 monitors supported?

Now that they've fixed it, Ultrawide 21:9 is very much viable too. Doesn't completely fill the screen like two monitors do, but very close. Also it's limited to two monitors, because that's how the original game was. Well never mind, I guess it does support more than two.

Finally getting around to playing this. The music is incredible. Is this soundtrack out on vinyl anywhere? What other music is comparable to this?

Finally getting around to playing this. The music is incredible. Is this soundtrack out on vinyl anywhere? What other music is comparable to this?

Not on vinyl but there is a CD release

Ship to Shore Phono Co. will produce a Night Striker LP, so hopefully they do more Zuntata releases in the future.

Momentary

Banned
Bundle pack is here. http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/258

Wow the DARIUSBURST DLC gave me ALOT more than what I was expecting. I was thinking 3 stages. Not 3 areas with multiple stages. The music is awesome!!! You can also use all the DLC ships on any of the areas in the DLC mode which turns out to be a huge amount. Well worth the money.

It's like 40 new areas/missions. Just wow. This game just doesn't stop delivering. That is insane.

KDR_11k

Okay, to elaborate what this DLC does (I bought the whole pack while the latest patch was downloading so no idea what you'll see if you don't have any of it):

There's a separate DLC Mode in the main menu, next to AC and CS. Select it and you can pick any ship from the game and DLC you own (including the Murakumo), it shows a short blurb as well as promo art for the game that ship first appeared in. The Sega ships appear but are locked.

After that you get a stage pack selection, one per DLC game, a Taito Collection pack and CS Pack 1. The DLC Mode uses the rules of CS mode for gameplay, i.e. you select a stage that consists of multiple areas and bosses chained together with no branching, powerup rules and starting powerups vary. You cannot change the preset powerups but you can select any ship. There is no unlocking, all stages are selectable immediately. Of course you also don't earn CS mode points. There is no ultra-wide screen, no continues and no multiplayer. If you die you respawn with 3 armor. I don't think there's online leaderboards either.

The DLC packs each include three stages, all of which have 3+ areas and bosses and use the remixed old game BGMs. Note that they are still made from the same assets as CS stages, i.e. the same backgrounds, terrain, enemies, bosses, potentially arranged slightly differently but I'm not sure. The Taito Pack contains a few Defender, Scramble and single boss stages. One of the Scrambles includes two Thing bosses back to back... The CS Pack 1 is just a bunch of planets from CS mode, no apparent logic to their selection or order.

On the PC all three DLC ships had their own key bindings and they were complete garbage by default (look like random values picked from the save file), stuff like turn bound to 4, up to 6 and everything else unbound. I had to manually rebind them first after selecting each of the DLC ships.

All ships use the ARM system but some do not use gun or missile upgrades. Unsupported upgrades spawn grey balls instead. All three DLC ships seem pretty strong but simplistic. Here's what I know about them, perhaps there's more depth to them like the way the Murakumo has loads of features that aren't easy to notice:

Night Striker:
The gun only has one upgrade stage with the usual four bars to fill. It shoots blue balls straight ahead and when you hold any directional key launches homing shots akin to missiles but they home pretty badly and always at the closest enemy which might be outside their turning range. I have no idea why that attack stops when you let go of the arrow keys. If you move vertically and your car tilts two shots appear on top of each other, I think they normally overlap so you don't see them.

Missiles are fired as its burst weapon. They can upgrade in three stages (presumably more missiles each) using the green powerups. Holding the missile button launches a swarm of (badly) homing missiles diagonally with the same issues as the homing shots. The car seems to be invulnerable while shooting these. They're absurdly good for dealing with large clusters of small enemies as long as they are in front of you, if enemies get behind you the missiles can turn the wrong way and hit nothing.

Metal Black:
It takes no attack upgrades. The standard shot is two tornado-like projectiles with some distance between them. Their strength seems to depend on your burst gauge.

Tapping burst makes the ship emit an AOE lightning effect until you tap again, this is great against crowds. Holding burst emits a large laser forward. This laser can counter-burst with no timing needed, like the Murakumo. The burst meter does not recharge as normal, instead some enemies drop items that refill the gauge. These seem to move randomly, almost like they're carried by a current but stay on the screen for a while.

Rayforce:
It only accepts attack upgrades. The main gun has three stages, the second stage counts as a wave (piercing) and the third as a bullet (cancels bullets). Attacks are straight, a single projectile that looks like a bunch of beams.

The secondary attack is a homing laser, normally you have a lock-on area in front of you, enemies that fly into it are locked onto. Tapping the laser button launches homing lasers at all of them. Holding the laser button fires as soon as something is locked and continuously attacks but gives less score (tapped lasers have a 6x multiplier). Holding also expands the lock-on area. There's no limit to the use of this laser, it can only lock on to a certain number of targets at a time but can be fired as much as you want.

Attack upgrades turn into red tetraeders and move differently when you play the Rayforce ship, they seem to move more towards the center of the screen so they're easier to pick up than the regular powerups of the game.

Personally I found this a bit disappointing, I like my ships with more depth to their abilities and these don't seem to offer as much as the default ones. The stages just feel like more of the same without any of the structure of the other modes.

Quick question about the Space Harrier/Fantasy Zone DLC - Do they include new bosses/enemies based on the series they are from? I'm playing the main game on my Vita at the moment and am absolutely loving it and now really want to buy the DLC for this game but I can't find any info/footage from these pieces of DLC.

VariantX

Quick question about the Space Harrier/Fantasy Zone DLC - Do they include new bosses/enemies based on the series they are from? I'm playing the main game on my Vita at the moment and am absolutely loving it and now really want to buy the DLC for this game but I can't find any info/footage from these pieces of DLC.

All the preview footage says no so far. Youre just getting the the new ships along with their unique mechanics but shooting the same enemies as before.

I personally would kill for some of the old bosses from past darius titles to get remade in some future dlc down the line though.

Top Bottom