• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours |OT| A local couch co-op shmup in 2015, aw yiss.

AmyS

Yeah, multi-monitor support works fine. It's ultra-wide (21:9) support that doesn't work. My trick was simply running my ultrawide monitor as if it were two monitors instead.

Some other issues the PC port has:

• Windowed mode doesn't switch automatically between 16:9 (for CS mode) and 32:9 (for AC mode)
  • Cannot rebind start, accept, or cancel. Some DirectInput controllers cannot hit start as all as a result.
  • No option to make CS mode properly fill the screen on 21:9, despite there being more than enough space for it.

Hopefully between Degica, Pyramid, Kadokawa Games and Taito (whoever is responsible for the PC port) these issues will be looked into and resolved for those who own that version.

Sophia

Hopefully between Degica, Pyramid, Kadokawa Games and Taito (whoever is responsible for the PC port) these issues will be looked into and resolved for those who own that version.

It definitely would be nice. Having to turn on PBP mode and fiddle with resolutions every time just to get the aspect ratio that the game was advertised as playing in is a real killer to motivation. :\

magnetic

Trying to get into this game - in my 10+ years of playing 2D shooters, I´ve never really connected with the Darius games - but while the game runs smoothly and looks very sharp on the Vita, it looks very drab compared to the surreal dream worlds of Darius Gaiden.

I think there are very few polygonal shooters that I like the look of - Radiant Silvergun probably, which is ironic considering how primitive the 3D is on that game.

CS mode feels pretty cramped, I´m certain the multi-screen setup is the way to play this game, but that´s out of the question on my Vita (don´t own a PS4 yet).

On the plus side, some of the bosses are really cool and I really like the mission-type structure in CS mode. I´ve always wanted a game progression like this for a portable shmup! I´ve never been a big 1 credit clear-run type of player, even if that´s what this genre is really all about. I just love picking from a huge list of shorter sessions.

Maybe I´ve gotten too used to Cave-style games, though, I´m having pretty big problems with bullet visibility. These thin lasers get pretty hard to see on the Vita screen, and some of the bullets like the grey floaty circles thingies or the little homing ships can blend in with the background pretty often - especially when there are visual effects like the flashed when you cancel certain bullets are going on.

Even if I end up not liking this as much as I want to, I consider the 40€ as a little thank you to the genre that brought me so much joy over the years.

AmyS

Trying to get into this game - in my 10+ years of playing 2D shooters, I´ve never really connected with the Darius games - but while the game runs smoothly and looks very sharp on the Vita, it looks very drab compared to the surreal dream worlds of Darius Gaiden.

Yeah, the only real problem I have with Dariusburst in general, meaning all versions, all platforms, are the fairly drab backgrounds, compared to the vivid backgrounds of Darius Gaiden, and to a lesser extent, Darius II (but only because II is older).

Here's a 1 Credit Clear on a real Darius Gaiden machine at the Galloping Ghost Arcade (currently the largest arcade in the USA) in Brookfield, Illinois right near Chicago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT5bI-8q97o

magnetic

Holy shit, Hungry Gluttons in the Rekusu mission in CS mode is kicking my ass. It´s two easy bosses before that (the Lightning Prison is basically just point blanking when he´s not shooting the laser), but then that piranha dude shows up and showers me with homing lasers.

I guess my inital impression came from the game being pretty easy in CS mode at the start, but I´m really liking how the difficulty spikes. (I usually don´t like playing shmups for score most of the time, and this game seems great for pure survival runs!)

The little Space Invaders reference with the tiny fish moving in rows made me smile.

CS mode at least feels very boss rush style, which I enjoy. Really, good bosses is what this genre is all about for me.

eastx

I finally got a second monitor and the cable I needed to output to it from my computer. Played a couple of multiplayer games of DARIUSBURST yesterday in dual monitor mode and had a blast.

It's a shame we can't really broadcast the amazingness of dual-monitor mode over Twitch - would surely convince a bunch of people with multiple monitors to pick the game up.

GOOCHY

Kind of disappointed that there isn't at least a limited physical release for PS4. I can't justify paying what they're asking for a digital only release with no cross-buy.

1upsuper

Are very many people playing the Vita version? I saw a couple people in this thread say good things about that version but I'm still a bit nervous about picking it up. I have a PS4 too but the extra cost and loss of portability make me reluctant to get that version. Is the Vita version really up to snuff? I definitely don't want to lose out on anything.

Tain

I haven't played the Vita version but I really can't picture the mad-letterboxed AC mode being all that enjoyable in it, and AC mode is the main draw for me.

1upsuper

I haven't played the Vita version but I really can't picture the mad-letterboxed AC mode being all that enjoyable in it, and AC mode is the main draw for me.

Alright, thanks. It looks like I might just wait for a PSN sale and get the PS4 version eventually.

nampad

Alright, thanks. It looks like I might just wait for a PSN sale and get the PS4 version eventually.

You read people saying good things about it and then reconsider when someone who hasn't played the version guesses it won't play well, lol.

Sophia

I have no idea how AC mode plays on the Vita version, as I own it on PC. That being said, if you're getting it on the Vita, you're getting it for CS mode. And CS mode is still fantastic.

If you don't mind the price tag, definitely worth a buy for all the stages + replayability.

eastx

Are very many people playing the Vita version? I saw a couple people in this thread say good things about that version but I'm still a bit nervous about picking it up. I have a PS4 too but the extra cost and loss of portability make me reluctant to get that version. Is the Vita version really up to snuff? I definitely don't want to lose out on anything.

Vita version owner! AC Mode is still playable on Vita, though it's a lot less pretty being so small. What you really lose on Vita is local multiplayer. And it crashes semi-often in CS mode, which is annoying.

I do recommend the Vita version for portability, but otherwise I'd buy the Steam or PS4 version before Vita.

Sophia

How are you able to get (GameStream Co-op) SharePlay running? I was trying to get SFV Beta running a while ago and had no luck with it.

Downloaded the GeForce Experience beta, installed it, enabled the Share overlay, booted up Darius Burst (not sure if it'll work in multi monitor mode due to it needing true fullscreen), hit Alt + X, and sent the link from the overly to another person. They were able to load it in Chrome. The first person I played with lagged pretty bad, but the second player was able to play just fine despite some graphical glitches.

The big detail is it has to be true fullscreen. It will not work in borderless window.

Downloaded the GeForce Experience beta, installed it, enabled the Share overlay, booted up Darius Burst (not sure if it'll work in multi monitor mode due to it needing true fullscreen), hit Alt + X, and sent the link from the overly to another person. They were able to load it in Chrome. The first person I played with lagged pretty bad, but the second player was able to play just fine despite some graphical glitches.

The big detail is it has to be true fullscreen. It will not work in borderless window.

Wanna give it a shot tonight? Send me a PM. I've been trying to test it out for a while. Whats your internet speed. I have 300MB down and 20MB up

And I thought the 10 dollars is saw this for on steam was bad

Is it really worth 50?

I love games like gate of Thunder more than some other shooters but I guess I need to reconsider this on steak now

Will there be a disc in Asia? Hong Kong,china? May pick that up

I am soooo buying this when I get home from vacation tonight. Seems like a game that would last forever.

Question: Since I'm a little late to the party, if I'm in a cabinet that has lots of stuff unlocked, is it less fun? I mean, if everything gets unlocked is there still lots of stuff to do and I can still contribute or add to a progress of some kind?

Update: purchased! And I'm so lost! I've read this whole thread and I still don't know if I'm doing this right. Is the only way to progress is doing the AC mode with the letterboxing? Or is the CS mode the same game just for normal monitors? I'm so confused, can someone explain as if I were a child? Is chronicle mode unlocked later or something, because all I see is AC Mode and CS Mode on the title screen. I changed the option to cabinet 14 already.

Sophia

Wanna give it a shot tonight? Send me a PM. I've been trying to test it out for a while. Whats your internet speed. I have 300MB down and 20MB up

I'm on Comcast Blast in the midwestern US. Forgot what speeds they are, but they're nowhere near as good as yours. If you're interested in trying it, we can maybe setup a time. Right now Xenoblade is taking up a significant chunk of my free time. XD

Update: purchased! And I'm so lost! I've read this whole thread and I still don't know if I'm doing this right. Is the only way to progress is doing the AC mode with the letterboxing? Or is the CS mode the same game just for normal monitors? I'm so confused, can someone explain as if I were a child? Is chronicle mode unlocked later or something, because all I see is AC Mode and CS Mode on the title screen. I changed the option to cabinet 14 already.

AC (Another Chronicle) Mode and CS (Chronicle Saviours) Mode are both remakes of Darius Burst, which was originally for the PSP. It is, effectively, two games in one package.

AC Mode is an arcade perfect port of Darius Burst: Another Chronicle EX, complete with it's 32:9 aspect ratio. This is the arcade remake of Darius Burst. It includes three gameplay modes. Original Mode is the arcade mode with 12 zones and a branching path system that's common to the Darius games. Original Mode EX is the "extreme" difficulty version of arcade mode, and includes 12 new (and much harder) zones. The third gameplay mode, Chronicle Mode, is essentially a mission mode. You pick a stage, play through it, clear it. Each "virtual cabinet" has it's own progression, so when one player clears a stage, anyone playing on that cabinet also has it cleared as well. There's also an "Event Mode", which is used for limited time events and stuff. It is currently unused at the moment, and may or may not ever be used.

CS Mode is another remake of Darius Burst. This one runs at a slightly modified aspect ratio, and is intended for standard 16:9 displays. This is, in effect, the single player story mode of the game. The main game is basically a giant retelling of the entire Darius series, split into about 200 missions or so. Each mission has a series of stages or bosses to complete, and you can either use the preset ship they provide, or spend points you've earned into this mode to unlock and customize one of the nine ships of your choosing. There's no online features or "virtual cabinets" like in AC Mode or anything. It's entirely your own progression.

In short:
  • Play AC Original Mode or AC Original EX Mode if you wish to experience the arcade game in all of it's original dual monitor 32:9 glory, or if you wish to play with friends locally. This mode is ideal on the PC with two monitors or an ultrawide 21:9 monitor.
  • Play AC Chronicle Mode if you want to play a mission mode and help others unlock stages on the cabinet you selected. You can also play this mode with friends locally, and some missions require two, three, or four players.
  • Play CS Mode if you're interested in a single player experience with progression and an unlock system, or just dislike the dual monitor setup of AC Mode. This mode is ideal if you're playing on the Vita.

And I thought the 10 dollars is saw this for on steam was bad

Is it really worth 50?

I love games like gate of Thunder more than some other shooters but I guess I need to reconsider this on steak now

Depends on how much you like sidescrolling shoot 'em ups really

But it is rather miraculous that this game got localized and ported to PS4, Vita and PC in the first place. So I can't complain too much about the price

AC (Another Chronicle) Mode and CS (Chronicle Saviours) Mode are both remakes of Darius Burst, which was originally for the PSP. It is, effectively, two games in one package.

AC Mode is an arcade perfect port of Darius Burst: Another Chronicle EX, complete with it's 32:9 aspect ratio. This is the arcade remake of Darius Burst. It includes three gameplay modes. Original Mode is the arcade mode with 12 zones and a branching path system that's common to the Darius games. Original Mode EX is the "extreme" difficulty version of arcade mode, and includes 12 new (and much harder) zones. The third gameplay mode, Chronicle Mode, is essentially a mission mode. You pick a stage, play through it, clear it. Each "virtual cabinet" has it's own progression, so when one player clears a stage, anyone playing on that cabinet also has it cleared as well. There's also an "Event Mode", which is used for limited time events and stuff. It is currently unused at the moment, and may or may not ever be used.

CS Mode is another remake of Darius Burst. This one runs at a slightly modified aspect ratio, and is intended for standard 16:9 displays. This is, in effect, the single player story mode of the game. The main game is basically a giant retelling of the entire Darius series, split into about 200 missions or so. Each mission has a series of stages or bosses to complete, and you can either use the preset ship they provide, or spend points you've earned into this mode to unlock and customize one of the nine ships of your choosing. There's no online features or "virtual cabinets" like in AC Mode or anything. It's entirely your own progression.

In short:
  • Play AC Original or AC Original EX if you wish to experience the arcade game in all of it's original dual monitor 32:9 glory, or if you wish to play with friends locally. This mode is ideal on the PC with two monitors or an ultrawide 21:9 monitor.
  • Play AC Chronicle Mode if you want to play a mission mode and help others unlock stages on the cabinet you selected. You can also play this mode with friends locally, and some missions require two, three, or four players.
  • Play CS Mode if you're interested in a single player experience with progression and an unlock system, or just dislike the dual monitor setup of AC Mode. This mode is ideal if you're playing on the Vita.

Ohhh thank you so much! So CS mode sounds huge already! And I'm playing on a 60" TV so the AC Chronicle mode will be fine too. Wow, there's a lot here. I'm overwhelmed with excitement. Wowsers!

Varth

Played quite a bit yesterday. First impact wasn't very good : (

Collision and hitbox and speed seemed... off? Also, still can't make sense of the powerup system (Burts and Fixed Burst), and G-Darius seems more balanced, difficulty wise.

eastx

Collision and hitbox and speed seemed... off? Also, still can't make sense of the powerup system (Burts and Fixed Burst), and G-Darius seems more balanced, difficulty wise.

The power-up and burst systems are pretty confusing, as these games go. You can read an explanation, but they should've just made it more intuitive.

Agreed on the speed. I wish the ship moved faster or could upgrade its speed.

Momentary

Banned
This is pretty hype man. It seems they are adding ship models with unique weaponry to the game from what I gather.

I was really hoping that they would do this with the game. Maybe I can retire my Murakumo now.

Edit: The ships come with their own weapons, their own sound effects, their own stages, and their own music. BOOM!

Shifty

Sweet! I'm down for more DBCS content.

I'm impressed by how deep and varied each ship's mechanics get when you reach a high level of play, so I'm excited for more.

Sophia

Sweet! I'm down for more DBCS content.

I'm impressed by how deep and varied each ship's mechanics get when you reach a high level of play, so I'm excited for more.

Yeah. It's amazing how much of a difference the ship makes in playstyle. I'm really excited for the new ships too.

I can't really get used to Legend, Next, or Formula. But hand me one of the other six ships (ESPECIALLY Gaiden or Genesis) and my performance improves dramatically.

I hope the DLC also comes with resolutions being fixed. I find myself only playing AC or CS mode at a time because it's a pain in the butt to go in and out of PBP mode on the monitor. :\

eastx

Resolutions are the most important thing, but it'd be nice to let us navigate menus from any controller instead of a random one. And the Vita version needs the crashes in CS Mode to be fixed.

Sophia

Resolutions are the most important thing, but it'd be nice to let us navigate menus from any controller instead of a random one. And the Vita version needs the crashes in CS Mode to be fixed.

Yeah, the issue with DirectInput controllers not being able to rebind Start needs to be fixed too. Right now the game assumes you have a standard controller (four face buttons, four shoulder buttons, select, start) and thus assigns Start to what appears to be button nine with no way to change it. If your controller has less than the number of buttons in question, you can't hit it at all.

I love playing with my SNES30 controller, but it effectively means every run in AC mode is a 1CC because I can't hit continue.

VariantX

Scratching my head on how the rayforce ship is going to work. Weak main guns, but god tier sub weapon? Still, my first experience with the "Ray" games was with the raystorm demo on PS1 and I played that 1 level fighting that space armada about 1000 times and am excited to see how this translates to this game. Shame its not the ship that shoots the lightning though, its my favorite

KDR_11k

Played quite a bit yesterday. First impact wasn't very good : (

What's the difficulty with the burst system?

The burst is just a high powered attack, if you activate it at the right time while an enemy red beam hits you (only applies to Legend, Next, Formula and Assault) you perform a yellow counterburst that lasts much longer and does more damage (and has a big score multiplier). There's also side counter which happens when you move into the red beam while it's already shooting and you burst with the right timing. While you're countering you recover meter very quickly by touching the red beam.

The fixed burst places a pod that shoots straight ahead (Legend, Next, Formula only). Hold the fire button to keep it locked in its direction, release fire to have it turn (turns away from Legend and Formula, towards Next). Fixed bursts don't counter, obviously.

Both bursts cancel most attacks. They recover meter from doing so (and killing enemies), also hitting some beams that stop your burst beam will quickly recharge your meter. Placing the fixed burst as a defensive wall can make many parts much easier.

Genesis and Murakumo have different burst beams, they counter if they ever intersect a red beam, no timing needed (but take a few secs to be ready to fire). Genesis can't stop bursting until empty, Murakumo can stop at any time. Using up meter removes your option units until your meter recovers enough, having an option shot down reduces your meter accordingly. Tapping burst instead of holding switches the formation of the bits, letting go of fire may allow you to re-aim them somewhat depending on the formation.

Origin and Second need to hold down the burst button to drop bombs for some reason. Dunno why you'd need a separate button for that, probably just to keep the feel of the old games.

Also bullets cancel bullets, lasers cancel lasers and waves travel through terrain. Second always shoots bullets in its forward spread and its green lasers pass through terrain, Genesis bits always shoot bullets and Murakumo's bits can switch between all three weapons depending on their formation. I think all other ships are limited to shooting bullets at lv1, lasers at lv2 and waves at lv3.

Momentary

Banned
Scratching my head on how the rayforce ship is going to work. Weak main guns, but god tier sub weapon? Still, my first experience with the "Ray" games was with the raystorm demo on PS1 and I played that 1 level fighting that space armada about 1000 times and am excited to see how this translates to this game. Shame its not the ship that shoots the lightning though, its my favorite

There may be stages tailored towards its playstyle. We'll know soon enough.

Hi all! Here are the details on the upcoming DariusBurst CS content.

First, DariusBurst CS will be launched for PS4, PC, and Vita in Japan on 01/14/2016. The physical release of the limited edition on Vita will also launch at the same time.

Second, the Darius Odyssey artbook will now be available as DLC for the PC version, also on 01/14. The artbook can be purchased as standalone content or as part of a collector's edition that includes both the base DBCS game and the book, but you will need the base game in order to view the artbook.

The artbook includes a *lot* of content. There are illustrations, concept art, arcade flyers, interviews, route diagrams, and even comics relating to the entire Darius series. There are 176 pages in all. However, I would like to stress that the artbook will be in Japanese language only, although we're making it available to all regions.

The Darius Odyssey artbook is priced at 14.99 USD, however there will be a launch discount of 30 or 35% percent, making it approximately 10 USD at launch. The collector's edition with the bundled game and book costs 59.99 USD (before any discounts).

Saving the best bit for last, we'll be releasing new content packs based on the classic Taito games/series RayForce, Metal Black, and Night Striker. Each pack contains a new ship, new levels, and new music from those games in a kind of mini-DLC campaign. The DLC campaigns play similarly to the existing CS Mode in 16:9 aspect ratio, but my understanding is that the DLC ships will be restricted to the DLC campaigns only (however, you are able to play any of the standard ships from CS mode in the new DLC campaigns freely).

We haven't finalized a price for the Taito ship packs just yet, but we're aiming to launch this content some time around late Feb/early March.

While it's not a full on game, we haven't seen new content for any of these games in a long time. Personally, I'm hyped to see what this new RayForce ship will be like!

zeS4zBB.jpg

grendelrt

Really cool new content! Blackbird can you say whether the game has met expectations? Just curious, I hope the effort you guys have put into this is paying off!

Top Bottom