• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours |OT| A local couch co-op shmup in 2015, aw yiss.

I'm pretty sure they're using the same arranges that are on the CD that comes with the Vita LE, so Michiru Yamane for the Raystorm tracks, Yack for the Metal Black tracks and sanodg for the Night Striker tracks.

How are those arrangements? Damn fine roster they got!

Shifty

but my understanding is that the DLC ships will be restricted to the DLC campaigns only

That's disappointing to hear. Any particular reason?

I can understand their exclusion from AC mode since it's arcade-faithful, but CS mode should be fair game. Each ship has so much gameplay depth to it that it seems crazy to lock such a huge amount of content off from the DLC ones.

Looks like this is turning into Taito's equivalent to R-Type Final.

YES. THIS IS WHAT I WANT.

Momentary

Banned
That's disappointing to hear. Any particular reason?

I can understand their exclusion from AC mode since it's arcade-faithful, but CS mode should be fair game. Each ship has so much gameplay depth to it that it seems crazy to lock such a huge amount of content off from the DLC ones.

YES. THIS IS WHAT I WANT.

Maybe they've added certain mechanics to ships and enemies that wouldn't translate well to the original CS mission, but the original CS ships function just fine in the new stages.

I don't know. I'm looking at it how sort of how a square can be a rectangle, but a rectangle can't be a square.

Sophia

I would hope the new ships would be playable in CS mode across the board.... Be pretty lame DLC if they weren't. Especially paid DLC.

Mind you I'm also the kind of person wouldn't mind a modified AC mode seperate from the current one to use the new ships + Murakumo. Wouldn't mind having an option to play the original PSP Darius Burst too. =P

Shifty

Maybe they've added certain mechanics to ships and enemies that wouldn't translate well to the original CS mission, but the original CS ships function just fine in the new stages.

I don't know. I'm looking at it how sort of how a square can be a rectangle, but a rectangle can't be a square.

Potentially, but it seems unlikely that they'd be so different as to be totally incompatible with the base game.
Rayforce and Metal Black are pretty standard shmup fare as best I can tell, and most of the ships in the vanilla game are pretty faithful to their iterations in the older Darius games.

Night Striker could be something else entirely given that it was an into-the-screen driving/flying game, but I'm still having a hard time thinking of an example in which going from CS to DLC is trivial, but not vice-versa.

I would hope the new ships would be playable in CS mode across the board.... Be pretty lame DLC if they weren't. Especially paid DLC.

This too, pretty much.

Mind you I'm also the kind of person wouldn't mind a modified AC mode seperate from the current one to use the new ships + Murakumo. Wouldn't mind having an option to play the original PSP Darius Burst too. =P

Free ship selection in AC would be excellent, even if that means offline-only without chronicle mode. Balance be damned!
PSP Dariusburst would be great too, but that would be a ton of work in comparison.

Momentary

Banned
I guess I'm pretty easy to please cause I'm pretty hyped up about all this DLC.

I'm guessing they are leasing all the ships and accompanying stages/music at different times? What will the first Ship DLC be?

Edit: Never mind I got my answer for the latest tweet:

https://twitter.com/DegiGames/status/687010236729802752

CYjAK3hWMAI0bSJ.jpg:large

Too bad that the ships are limited to their respective mini-campaigns.

I was going to use the Black Fly and never touch another ship again.

nampad

Just bought the Vita version. Why does it have the "wait for players to join" screen when it doesn't have MP or does it support multiple players on Vita TV?

Also, is there any wiki or so which explains the systems and hud in the game?

Sophia

Just bought the Vita version. Why does it have the "wait for players to join" screen when it doesn't have MP or does it support multiple players on Vita TV?

If you're talking about AC mode, it's because AC mode is a direct port of the arcade game and hasn't been modified in any way. As for your second question, the OP has an explanation of the HUD and some systems. Not sure if there's a wikia or anything, but we can answer any additional questions.

the game on vita has a digital manual accessible from the splash screen. it explains hud elements etc. Its like 39 pages long.

microfolk

I want to buy this game so badly but I shouldn't really spend all that money right now....
Make me give up on buying it: it should play like shit on an old 4:3 monitor right? I know the AC mode would be pretty bad even on an 16:9 but with a small ass monitor like mine I wouldn't be able to see anything even in CS mode am I correct?

Sophia

I want to buy this game so badly but I shouldn't really spend all that money right now....
Make me give up on buying it: it should play like shit on an old 4:3 monitor right? I know the AC mode would be pretty bad even on an 16:9 but with a small ass monitor like mine I wouldn't be able to see anything even in CS mode am I correct?

It'd be pretty squashed in AC mode, yeah. Although I guess you could still play it.

CS Mode, however, would be perfectly fine. No issues playing that there on 4:3.

The guidebook turns out to be built in to the game and only readable from the options menu. Is this really necessary?

It's not a bad interface (and there is nice ambient background music), but there is no way to zoom in. This is a problem because some of the text (like the AC mode guide) is far too small (even on a 27" monitor).

eastx

The guidebook turns out to be built in to the game and only readable from the options menu. Is this really necessary?

It's not a bad interface (and there is nice ambient background music), but there is no way to zoom in. This is a problem because some of the text (like the AC mode guide) is far too small (even on a 27" monitor).

Ten bucks for a non-translated book is bad enough. Having to view it through the game without zoom is just a death knell.

Got my physical copy today. Unfortunately I'm quite under the weather so I doubt I'll be playing it for at least a couple days.

nampad

If you're talking about AC mode, it's because AC mode is a direct port of the arcade game and hasn't been modified in any way. As for your second question, the OP has an explanation of the HUD and some systems. Not sure if there's a wikia or anything, but we can answer any additional questions.

the game on vita has a digital manual accessible from the splash screen. it explains hud elements etc. Its like 39 pages long.

Thanks to both of you.

OK I'm trying to progress in CS mode. I can skip some levels, it seems like they are too hard and I have to come back later with a better ship? And do I still get points to buy new ships even if I fail a mission, or do I need to grind on levels already completed?

Sophia

OK I'm trying to progress in CS mode. I can skip some levels, it seems like they are too hard and I have to come back later with a better ship? And do I still get points to buy new ships even if I fail a mission, or do I need to grind on levels already completed?

Think you only get them on levels completed.

Also something to note: After you unlock a ship, you can use additional points to power it up. This costs points every time you chose to use a custom ship (as otherwise it'll start with no powerups at all), but the cost is pretty forgiving and lets you stack shields like no tomorrow. So if you're having problems, you can use a ship with like 50+ shields on it to make it real easy. :p

Think you only get them on levels completed.

Also something to note: After you unlock a ship, you can use additional points to power it up. This costs points every time you chose to use a custom ship (as otherwise it'll start with no powerups at all), but the cost is pretty forgiving and lets you stack shields like no tomorrow. So if you're having problems, you can use a ship with like 50+ shields on it to make it real easy. :p

Interesting. Thank you. Also, how can you tell how many shields you have left in AC mode? This game is so obtuse, so non user-friendly, it's really pissing me off, and yes I've read all the manuals and whatnot. Never seen anything like it really.

Sophia

Interesting. Thank you. Also, how can you tell how many shields you have left in AC mode? This game is so obtuse, so non user-friendly, it's really pissing me off, and yes I've read all the manuals and whatnot. Never seen anything like it really.

AC mode doesn't really have a proper ARM/Shield indicator like CS mode does. So the only indication is the color of the aura around your ship, like older Darius games. I *think* it maxes out at three hits in AC mode too, but I forgot for sure.

At any rate: The first shield power up you collect gives you three, and any after that give you one additional one. When it levels up (that is, you max out the bar and collect another shield power up) you get three more, and when it's completely maxed level, all shield power ups give you three.

AC mode doesn't really have a proper ARM/Shield indicator like CS mode does. So the only indication is the color of the aura around your ship, like older Darius games. I *think* it maxes out at three hits in AC mode too, but I forgot for sure.

You can at least check the ARM bonus between stages to see how many you finished the level with.

Also, I finally beat AC Original for the first time. On ADH. After 8 cumulative hours gametime.

I plan to keep working on this for the long term. Maybe beat anything on Chronicle without continuing, next.

I got my physical Vita copy today, finally. It's an actual cart and in case anyone was wondering, it doesn't have any English language options and doesn't auto change to whatever your PSN account region is. The essential stuff in main menu and start menu is in English, so is the HUD and some of the event text, but there's a lot that's not, like the rooted menu in AC mode. ie:

...but that stuff was only bewildering me because I hadn't played the game yet. Once you get into the actual gameplay nothing matters,and CS mode has almost no prefatory text to navigate. It's a shmup, so it's 100% doable, but it's worth knowing if you were considering importing it. The cart does work on PS TV too, like normal.

Sophia

Latest update appears to have fixed 21:9 support. No idea what else it did.

EDIT:
DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours v1.00 r5131 :Ultrawide support and bug fixes
Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours r5131 Update note

Adding support for 21:9 Ultrawide aspect monitor.
Fix to the CS stages that had no BGM.
Fix to the ASSAULT Spark Burst setting, using Spark Burst was using too little of the burst gauge.

KDR_11k

At any rate: The first shield power up you collect gives you three, and any after that give you one additional one. When it levels up (that is, you max out the bar and collect another shield power up) you get three more, and when it's completely maxed level, all shield power ups give you three.

In CS mode level 2 shields give 2 ARM for each additional pickup after the first, I'd assume it's the same in AC?

OSHAN

I picked this up during the sale. The last Darius game I remember playing was Darius Twin, so it has been a really fucking long time.

Anyway, first impressions are great. I have a 60" tv so the aspect ratio is pretty neat; I'm not sure if i woudl feel that way with anything smaller than that.

Appears to be a lot of content here, too. I felt it was a bit much at 42 bucks, but I'm a shmup fan and Playstation doesn't get too many titles of this quality so I said fuck it.

Now watch it be 8 bucks next month during a Flash sale.

The End

I picked this up during the sale. The last Darius game I remember playing was Darius Twin, so it has been a really fucking long time.

Anyway, first impressions are great. I have a 60" tv so the aspect ratio is pretty neat; I'm not sure if i woudl feel that way with anything smaller than that.

Appears to be a lot of content here, too. I felt it was a bit much at 42 bucks, but I'm a shmup fan and Playstation doesn't get too many titles of this quality so I said fuck it.

Now watch it be 8 bucks next month during a Flash sale.

Didn't realize it was even on sale.

*Cries*

Thanks!

I do have $5 in steam credit, but I'd much rather play this on my couch.

Decisions, decisions.

There is nothing preventing you from playing a Steam game from your couch. They even have the option of Steam streaming if you don't care to directly attach a PC to your TV.

eastx

Thanks!

I do have $5 in steam credit, but I'd much rather play this on my couch.

Decisions, decisions.

The Steam version is actually better in that it supports 21:9 and dual monitors modes. But with PS4 you get cross-save support with the Vita version.

I actually really wnt DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours (I collect shmups) but I cannot find a physical release, only a downloadable on the PSN store. Anyone know where I can find a copy or does it not exist?

Edit: Forgot to mention I am after a pysical Ps4 version.

GOOCHY

I don't think it was released physically for PS4, unfortunately. I'm another one who would buy a physical copy of it.

eastx

"Having this game on my shelf is more important to me than playing it, or supporting the publisher who bothered to translate and release such a niche title."

(This is directed at the holdouts, rather than people who like physical games but will go with digital when that's the only option.)

"Having this game on my shelf is more important to me than playing it, or supporting the publisher who bothered to translate and release such a niche title."

(This is directed at the holdouts, rather than people who like physical games but will go with digital when that's the only option.)
I don't like purchasing digital products. I will support publishers who offer me the product that I want, and I will more rarely support publishers who offer me a product that have some attributes that I want and some I don't want.

I don't see the need for snarkiness.

I don't like purchasing digital products. I will support publishers who offer me the product that I want, and I will more rarely support publishers who offer me a product that have some attributes that I want and some I don't want.

I don't see the need for snarkiness.
The physical-or-no-sale mentality is one that can and has closed doors to games being localized, so the snark is more than justified.

Top Bottom