• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours out November 4 (PS4/V), December 3 (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

Malick[AI];187636824 said:
I went to go buy this today and my jaw dropped at the $60 price tag.

A digital only SHMUP should be $20 with a $15 first week discount.

This is going to sell like sub 500 copies at that price.
A digital only SHMUP that is worth $60 should be $60 and a a digital only SHMUP that is worth $20 with a $15 first week discount should be $20 with a $15 first week discount.

So far this is easily a $60 game for me. I've bought quite a few games for the same price this winter and this is looking like the best value of all of them so far.

What I'm curious about is where those ~3000 levels come from. At that quantity surely they resorted to some sort of random generation instead of creation-by-hand, resulting in lower quality.

Even if not it's hard to imagine a devteam coming up with that many compelling stages.

I'm also wondering where all the music comes from. Is it all from previously released arcade / psp games, or is there new material? People seem surprised by the stage 1 theme which suggests new material.

A digital only SHMUP that is worth $60 should be $60 and a a digital only SHMUP that is worth $20 with a $15 first week discount should be $20 with a $15 first week discount.

I think it would be easier to think of the cost of the game as being capped by what people are willing to pay for it. I think they may have put together a game that's too big to sell for the current market, especially in a dying genre. You could probably compare this to what people seem to be saying about the Vita.

If the game is truly worth $50-60, then there needs to be a better job of selling it / exposing that value to players. Assuming they're not selling within their expectations anyways.

I'm inclined to wait and see how things pan out. My queue of games to get around to is something like at least 40 that are out -- and a similar amount that haven't been released. I figure I can chug through the higher entries on that list and either a) get the itch and buy it, or b) have the price come down to where I don't have to think about it.

Here's the arcade user manual which goes over all the game basics (touches briefly on power ups, scoring, counter bursting, ship differences etc) which could be useful to some. All of it still applies to the home port.

It's shit like this that makes me annoyed I spent $60 on this game. The production quality is just crap. Why wasn't this included in the game? It's almost like they just dumped the ROM onto an emulator and we're playing the game on an emulator, and they did nothing whatsoever to make this game more accessible or help people understand how to play. They didn't even translate the damn loading screen, lol. "Thanks for the $60, now good luck figuring out how to do anything".

i'm glad you posted this because at least I can understand how to play now, but this is not the type of experience I expect to get for $60, even if there's 300,000 levels.

Weevilone

Hate it or not, the fact that so many people are shocked over the price should tell that no matter how it should be, it is going to hamper sales

I concur. It's not just the genre though, it's the digital release. I'll pay $2500 for a proper arcade kit. I'll pay $60 for a physical release, or sometimes even $100 for a physical collector's edition if it's compelling enough.

I won't pay $60 for a digital only release, even if I really love the genre.

wilflare

hmm the Vita version comes with a digital manual (in the Live Area) - so based on the above discussion, the PS4 version has no way to access that?

JP

I think it would be easier to think of the cost of the game as being capped by what people are willing to pay for it. I think they may have put together a game that's too big to sell for the current market, especially in a dying genre. You could probably compare this to what people seem to be saying about the Vita.

If the game is truly worth $50-60, then there needs to be a better job of selling it / exposing that value to players. Assuming they're not selling within their expectations anyways.

I'm inclined to wait and see how things pan out. My queue of games to get around to is something like at least 40 that are out -- and a similar amount that haven't been released. I figure I can chug through the higher entries on that list and either a) get the itch and buy it, or b) have the price come down to where I don't have to think about it.
No, I agree.

A game like this is always going to be a tough sell to the masses and a $60 doesn't make that any easier.

I've no idea how much it cost them to make it but obviously at some point there've has discussions about where the best returns lie and there's never going to be an easy answer for something that that has such a small market.

Would they have made more money by selling more copies at a lower price? You never really know with things like this but if it doesn't work out at this price for them they do at least have an option to lower the price to get sales.

I think what makes this difficult for them is the fact that it's available;e to download too, a few years ago and this may well have only had a disc release and I think that alone would increase the value of the game. I know quite a few people who imported this sort of game on the 360 and we were very willing to pay what could well be called "over the odds" because it wasn't simply a matter of pressing a button and downloading it.

Hopefully it will get a price cut at some point but I am really hoping that they make enough money at full price because I really want there to be more games of this kind on the PS4 as they're becoming increasingly rare on consoles.

The only 360 discs I still own are the Japanese Mushihime-sama Futari, Espgaluda II, Muchi Muchi Pork, Pink Sweets & DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou and every now and again I put them in my Xbox One (as well as all the downloadable stuff) and I'm really hoping that we get more this generation as Japanese developers appear to be excited about consoles again.

I know value is subjective but if there was announcement at PSX of a PS4 version of the CAVE Shooting Collection, I have no idea how much I'd be willing to pay for that. Clearly, it'll never happen though. :)
hmm the Vita version comes with a digital manual (in the Live Area) - so based on the above discussion, the PS4 version has no way to access that?
The PS4 has a "Live Area" too, it's available there.

So far this is easily a $60 game for me. I've bought quite a few games for the same price this winter and this is looking like the best value of all of them so far.

Man that's so relative...It's why people pay $2.5 million on some art painting while others stand around like "Wat"

No, I agree.

A game like this is always going to be a tough sell to the masses and a $60 doesn't make that any easier.

I've no idea how much it cost them to make it but obviously at some point there've has discussions about where the best returns lie and there's never going to be an easy answer for something that that has such a small market.

Would they have made more money by selling more copies at a lower price? You never really know with things like this but if it doesn't work out at this price for them they do at least have an option to lower the price to get sales.

I think what makes this difficult for them is the fact that it's available;e to download too, a few years ago and this may well have only had a disc release and I think that alone would increase the value of the game. I know quite a few people who imported this sort of game on the 360 and we were very willing to pay what could well be called "over the odds" because it wasn't simply a matter of pressing a button and downloading it.

Hopefully it will get a price cut at some point but I am really hoping that they make enough money at full price because I really want there to be more games of this kind on the PS4 as they're becoming increasingly rare on consoles.

The only 360 discs I still own are the Japanese Mushihime-sama Futari, Espgaluda II, Muchi Muchi Pork, Pink Sweets & DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou and every now and again I put them in my Xbox One (as well as all the downloadable stuff) and I'm really hoping that we get more this generation as Japanese developers appear to be excited about consoles again.

I know value is subjective but if there was announcement at PSX of a PS4 version of the CAVE Shooting Collection, I have no idea how much I'd be willing to pay for that. Clearly, it'll never happen though. :)

The PS4 has a "Live Area" too, it's available there.

They probably would have made more money by releasing a smaller game at $20 and then releasing expansion packs at $10-$20 until you get up to the full game with all content for $60. Resogun is proof that the genre isn't dead. That game sold a ton of copies.

Man that's so relative...It's why people pay $2.5 million on some art painting while others stand around like "Wat"

Art retains its value. If you pay $2.5m for a piece of art, chances are you can sell it for *at least* $2.5m in the future.

Sophia

So what's the status of 21:9/Ultra Widescreen support on the PC version? That's the dealbreaker for me seeing as I'll be picking up such a monitor sooner or later.

Weevilone

So what's the status of 21:9/Ultra Widescreen support on the PC version? That's the dealbreaker for me seeing as I'll be picking up such a monitor sooner or later.

That's what I'm looking for as well, and already have the monitor. Seeing as how the Cave Mushi port would simply make my LG display go black, I'm not holding my breath. There's never been a better fit for 21:9 though.

Sophia

That's what I'm looking for as well, and already have the monitor. Seeing as how the Cave Mushi port would simply make my LG display go black, I'm not holding my breath. There's never been a better fit for 21:9 though.

Yeah I mean, if 21:9 support is a bust, I'd be better off getting the PS4 version for Share Play. So it's a hard choice for me. >.<;

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Minimum.

"Recommended specs: something, something"

zFleBfD.jpg

;)

I don't know if this is an official image or not, but it has me hopeful for 21:9 support

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I can help out a little if you think I did a decent enough job with the Xonic OT, but not until the weekend.

Sweet, I was thinking on giving up (due to how many modes there are and the legthy scoring part) but if everyone's ok to delay it until the weekend I'm still game.

For the OT, it would be a good idea to come up with a clear explanation of what kind of content the "3000+ levels" entails, since a lot of people seem to be skeptical about how much variation or original content can be found in these levels.

(The thing is, this is probably the kind of thing you can only describe accurately by playing CS mode for a while.)

For the OT, it would be a good idea to come up with a clear explanation of what kind of content the "3000+ levels" entails, since a lot of people seem to be skeptical about how much variation or original content can be found in these levels.

(The thing is, this is probably the kind of thing you can only describe accurately by playing CS mode for a while.)

Do we have any reviews out yet? I honestly want to know what people have to say about that "3000+" level concept since it looks like players have to unlock worlds in a team effort or something.

masq

Neo Member
Picked it up for PS4, liking it so far.
Not sure I am sold on the 21:9 aspect ratio or whatever in the Arcade Mode tho.

Wish it had an actual retail release
=)

Shizuka

Thanks, but at $60 it's offensive that this isn't in the game. What about all the people that aren't on NeoGAF and don't know about your website?

Everything will be offensive if you use the price as a justification. From the looks of it, that's Taito's fault, not Degica.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Resogun is proof that the genre isn't dead. That game sold a ton of copies.

Resogun was played by a lot of people but how many of them actually paid for it and how many copies did they give away for free before it had enough buzz to get people to buy it?

People think sales initiatives like discounted bundles are about getting people to buy the game at a price they're conditioned to accept but it's really about visibility--if you want your game to sell once the price goes back up you absolutely need to get it into the hands (and steam libraries) of tens of thousands of people if you want sales to be self-sustaining.

Weevilone

I'm sure it's been discussed, but game should be cross-buy. I'd barely ever play the Vita version, but it'd be a noticeable value add for the random road trip or something.

5taquitos

I'm sure it's been discussed, but game should be cross-buy. I'd barely ever play the Vita version, but it'd be a noticeable value add for the random road trip or something.

Yeah, lack of cross buy is a little rough. I know I could remote play the PS4 version, but that's not as viable on the go.

Downloading the pc version at this very moment! 40 bucks for a solid, new shmup is alright to me as I'm sure I'll have a ton of playtime with this. So many shmups on pc!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

This. The market decides the price in the end. If enough people buy it at $60 then fair enough, it's worth $60. If the game winds up selling poorly, then the asking price needs to be seriously re-examined.

I personally won't be buying it until the game gets a substantial discount. There are very few games that can convince me to fork out what DARIUSBURST is asking, and this game isn't one of them. $20-$30 and I'll consider it. Current price, no.

It's hard to imagine this game doing very well at over 50 bucks. The diehards will snap it up quick, maybe, but after that I really wouldn't be surprised if sales were to dry up considerably.

CLEEK

Not much to add, other than I bought this on PS4 and had a blast playing it last night. It's a top tier shooter.

If shmups are your thing, then you shouldn't let the price tag put you off. There's a ton of content, and it's not like games of this caliber come along all that often.

Wonko_C

Godbless third world prices, it's about 20 USD on Steam with the 20% discount...

But I can't even afford that right now. &#128557;

you know what? I'm going to show my support for this game and buy it. I want more shmups in the future. it also helps that G Darius for the Sega Saturn was my fav shooter ever.

So on the Steam page right now I'm seeing one option to buy for $39.99 (regular price $49.99) and another option to buy for $55.99 (regular price $69.99) but no indication of what differences there are between what you get with each option. Can I get clarification on that?

@MUWANdo

Banned
So on the Steam page right now I'm seeing one option to buy for $39.99 (regular price $49.99) and another option to buy for $55.99 (regular price $69.99) but no indication of what differences there are between what you get with each option. Can I get clarification on that?

It's an error. They're the same, buy the cheaper one.

I suspect $69.99 may have been the preliminary/auto-converted price and Degica talked them down to $59.99. The whining about a $70 game would have been inescapable.

Tain

This. The market decides the price in the end. If enough people buy it at $60 then fair enough, it's worth $60. If the game winds up selling poorly, then the asking price needs to be seriously re-examined.

The Japanese market with its larger franchise following will probably buy enough of the game at full price for it to have been worthwhile for Taito.

And then, after time passes and we zoom out a bit, I'm guessing we'll see enough up-front full-price and long-term reduced price sales from international markets for it to have been worth releasing worldwide.

kubricks

So.... I learn from the latest few posts that the UI is shit and the game itself is expensive, but is the core game any good? Does it run well on Vita?

Yes Boss!

So.... I learn from the latest few posts that the UI is shit and the game itself is expensive, but is the core game any good? Does it run well on Vita?

Runs perfect on Vita. That said, the actual arcade port of the game is crazy letterboxed and not a good fit for the screen (too small). Vita version is for the reformmated CS mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom