• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours out November 4 (PS4/V), December 3 (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prelude.

i still don't understand why people need tutorials for a shmup. you move and you shoot.
Well, for power ups and stuff? Not that Darius is particularly complicated (don't know about this game) but you should know what you're picking up and what it does. Did you play Soldner X-2? That would be pretty damn confusing without the tutorials.

So.... I learn from the latest few posts that the UI is shit and the game itself is expensive, but is the core game any good? Does it run well on Vita?
From what I've heard it's a perfect 60fps all the time.

Well, for power ups and stuff? Not that Darius is particularly complicated (don't know about this game) but you should know what you're picking up and what it does. Did you play Soldner X-2? That would be pretty damn confusing without the tutorials.

From what I've heard it's a perfect 60fps all the time.

haven't played Soldner. As far as power ups go, there aren't any power up orb things that you shouldn't pick up, so it doesn't really matter what they do individually (and by the time you get them all, you probably have them figured out).

@MUWANdo

Banned
There are lots of modern shooting games with obtuse systems (advanced scoring, rank, etc) so I don't think it's too much to ask them to explain them somwhere, or to translate explanations that may already exist.

shaowebb

Oh lordy ...I was wondering about that price and then I saw the content level.

• 3000 levels.
  • Multiple paths between the zones
  • multiple areas (in the 10s) inside each zone
  • several modes
  • general ENORMOUS replay value because these are not randomly generated levels and because every play through you could choose both a different branching way through the zones as well as through the various areas/missions/objectives inside each zone.

This is more content than I believe ANY shmup has ever tried to cram into a single title. This even eclipses R-Type Final in spite of having less ships.

Buy this folks if you want a replayable shmup with new content each sitting. Its insane how many levels they made.

There are lots of modern shooting games with obtuse systems (advanced scoring, rank, etc) so I don't think it's too much to ask them to explain them somwhere, or to translate explanations that may already exist.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's not useful or anything, I just find it a somewhat odd thing to get peeved about, though perhaps folks are less upset about it than it has seemed to me at time of making that post.

grendelrt

• 3000 levels.
  • Multiple paths between the zones
  • multiple areas (in the 10s) inside each zone
  • several modes
  • general ENORMOUS replay value because these are not randomly generated levels and because every play through you could choose both a different branching way through the zones as well as through the various areas/missions/objectives inside each zone.

This is more content than I believe ANY shmup has ever tried to cram into a single title. This even eclipses R-Type Final in spite of having less ships.

Buy this folks if you want a replayable shmup with new content each sitting. Its insane how many levels they made.

R-Type Final launched at 30 bucks lol. I might jump in for 40 on steam, but I can understand the people not wanting to pay 60 on PS4.

shaowebb

R-Type Final launched at 30 bucks lol. I might jump in for 40 on steam, but I can understand the people not wanting to pay 60 on PS4.

R Type final had 101 ships but it didn't have this many stages. It only had 7 stages. Even including the variants of stages on the 3 that had variants as well as the alternate final stages you're still only talking at maximum in the 20's and even then only 7 playable per play through. Great as it was...
5K0vBus.gif

..^ that warrants a higher price point. Stages take a lot more time than shot type and ship variants. Especially considering they were putting in ships they had already balanced and made in other R Types. Is one "better" than the other? Who could know...that's subjective to taste in any shmup or game talk and I adore both really so I know I couldn't choose. However, in terms of stage content Darius Burst Chronicle Saviours is DEFINITELY leading the pack. This has to be a record in shmups for most number of non random levels in a shmup.

It will certainly mean a ton of fresh content being discovered on each playthrough for quite some time. Soooooooo much replayability due to that stage bulk.

Good lord its gonna take years for hi score competitors to settle on a gameplan. Shmuppers replay stages hundreds of times to figure out how to maximize their score on a run. This game has so many branching paths and areas that its gonna take YEARS for folks to settle on a path to take for a run and even then they'll still debate whether or not they could improve a high score for the game by changing their path choices. Holy shit this one is gonna be around forever isn't it...

grendelrt

R-Type stages are not the same type of stage design as Darius. I am not going to try to convince anyone whether the game is worth the money, I think most people have already made up their minds. I think 40 is a good price point, I bought it at that personally.

CLEEK

Can you guys stop talking about R-Type Final please.

The news that PS4 emulation won't support PS2 discs means my dreams of playing R-Type Final again have been scuppered. It was the only physical PS2 game I wanted to replay on my PS4.

One thing: this game has probably the best soundtrack of any game, ever. Yes, it's that good. It's in the prestigious "I can't believe how good it is" -category, and I'll be playing this game for a long, long time just to hear that score.

I am very happy with the purchase, even though my wallet is crying bloody murder right now.

Picked it up for PS4, liking it so far.
Not sure I am sold on the 21:9 aspect ratio or whatever in the Arcade Mode tho.

Wish it had an actual retail release
=)
It's actually 32:9! It's two 16:9 screens side by side in the arcade, made seamless with mirrors.

Are we really still arguing that the game should be cheaper? Depressing.

So.... I learn from the latest few posts that the UI is shit and the game itself is expensive, but is the core game any good? Does it run well on Vita?

The UI is not shit. The game is not expensive. The core game is great. It runs and looks fantastic on Vita.

Gah I am struggling if I want this for the PS4 or on my PC... I am leaning PC since I know I can just boot up and play even when I build a new one...

Been playing a lot of and enjoying the vita version. CS mode mostly trying to unlock stuff.Will most likely get the steam version for dual monitor action and to try it on a 4k display.

schnarf

Been playing a lot of and enjoying the vita version. CS mode mostly trying to unlock stuff.Will most likely get the steam version for dual monitor action and to try it on a 4k display.

Good to hear! Do you feel the game is hard to see or too small on the vita screen? Really interested in picking this up on the vita but concerned about how the screen space is used given the widescreen formatting used.

Tain

I mean, this still seems to be a focused arcade game stretched out over a ton of stages, but unlike R-Type Final this is good! It's the structure that I'm most impressed by (from my brief dabbling). The developers realized the importance of maintaining some kind of tension over the course of multiple levels and basically made every stage on the map into its own miniature arcade game. It's great.

Good to hear! Do you feel the game is hard to see or too small on the vita screen? Really interested in picking this up on the vita but concerned about how the screen space is used given the widescreen formatting used.

The CS mode (not the widescreen mode) works really well on Vita. The widescreen mode is petite, still works, but it's a different experience.

CS mode is formatted for the 16:9 aspect ratio of the vita and HD screens. The AC mode has the ultra wide letterboxed arcade view but I think it still works on the vita becuase the res and screen is crisp though the fonts are indeed tiny but overall its cool especially since its not the only way to play available. I have been playing both but a lot more CS.

Wow, didn't realize this was going to be $40. Owch. Took the plunge anyways though. I haven't played a ton of Darius games, but I've enjoyed all the ones I've tried. Hoping this one is good too.

Degica truly saving this genre. I just hope it manages to remain profitable for them.

grendelrt

I got about an hour of play time in tonight. My impressions so far

Pros:
Amazing soundtrack
Looks really nice in arcade mode
Controls great,runs great
Really fun, demolishing swarms is awesome

Cons:
Zoomed in chronicle mode is uglier than arcade,but not a huge deal
Would like more details on ships when picking them, when friends come over they won't have a clue which do what

Really like it so far, hope to get more time this weekend

Works well on a projector if you don't have dual monitors,feet for reference lol

PS4 and Vita are shared. PC is by itself. If you get stuck, Cabinet 11 and Cabinet 64 will be used by a lot of the shmup community, so they're likely to have stages unlocked.

If you're confused about versions:

PS4 has: controller lights up with your ship color, digital art book, 4P local co-op
PC has: dual monitor support, 4P local co-op
Vita has: no co-op (how would you do it on a portable console anyway?) but it has a lower price point compared to PS4.

grendelrt

Im surprised you think Chronicle mode looks ugly compared to arcade.
I've only played a few stages but the textures look much worse because it's Zoomed in from the arcade aspect. There were some cool effects going on and stuff though. There also looked like more aliasing.that may be fixable on pc though.

If you get stuck, Cabinet 11 and Cabinet 64 will be used by a lot of the shmup community, so they're likely to have stages unlocked.

Good to know people have decided on cabinets to work on. Not quite sure if we have enough players here to start up our own.

Vita has: no co-op (how would you do it on a portable console anyway?) but it has a lower price point compared to PS4.

For the record, Vita allows local co-op to be implemented through adhoc mode. But it's understandable that companies might not look too deep at Vita technical implementation these days.

Teknoman

I've only played a few stages but the textures look much worse because it's Zoomed in from the arcade aspect. There were some cool effects going on and stuff though. There also looked like more aliasing.that may be fixable on pc though.

Ah that might be the difference im on PC version. I've heard Vita wowed people with CS, but thats understandable with OLED and a smaller screen.

PS4 and Vita are shared. PC is by itself. If you get stuck, Cabinet 11 and Cabinet 64 will be used by a lot of the shmup community, so they're likely to have stages unlocked.

PS4 has: controller lights up with your ship color, digital art book, 4P local co-op

Good to know, might be cool to set up a GAF centric cab even if it takes longer. Greater sense of accomplishment?

Good to know people have decided on cabinets to work on. Not quite sure if we have enough players here to start up our own.

I'm not sure if Cabinet 64 is here to stay (it's the cabinet PC beta testers were asked to switch to so as not to accidentally populate the other cabinets with beta data). Cabinet 11 was chosen after system11 lol

Monster Hunter manages it.

trebbble

Ah that might be the difference im on PC version. I've heard Vita wowed people with CS, but thats understandable with OLED and a smaller screen.

Good to know, might be cool to set up a GAF centric cab even if it takes longer. Greater sense of accomplishment?

I started up on cabinet 0001 myself... figured that'd be a good place to start. Whatever cabinet GAF chooses, it would be cool to unlock it all together.

Didn't know about those other community cabinets, but I'll have to check them out.

Tain

Can you see the names of who cleared areas on cabinets? None are showing for me, but maybe that's normal?

I just want to say this is incredible on PC with dual monitors.
I've never played a shooter that makes you feel so alone in space, it's fucking sublime.

Thank you to all who made this possible.

I took the plunge on Steam and worked on Cabinet 0001 for a little bit tonight. Great stuff. I still want to drive over to the local arcade to give the cabinet a few quarters every now and then though.

grimm_shado

Unconfirmed Member

How do you know that the levels weren't randomly generated? Are they just designed well enough so you can tell?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
OT is up. Apologies for how ugly it is but I just wanted to put the essential stuff to ease newcomers into this behemoth of a game.

How do you know that the levels weren't randomly generated? Are they just designed well enough so you can tell?

Even if they're not randomly generated, I've done like 15 levels and it's always the same 5 bosses over and over. That kills the replay value for me. TBH I'm not even sure I want to continue, every level feels the same to me.

grimm_shado

Unconfirmed Member
Even if they're not randomly generated, I've done like 15 levels and it's always the same 5 bosses over and over. That kills the replay value for me. TBH I'm not even sure I want to continue, every level feels the same to me.

Ouch, I'd rather just not have any bosses than deal with the same ones over and over again... That would get tedious after the second repeat.

Ouch, I'd rather just not have any bosses than deal with the same ones over and over again... That would get tedious after the second repeat.

They have different move sets and difficulty levels, but yea, it's still the same models and a lot of the strategies for fighting them are the same every time. Maybe I didn't make it far enough, but idk. The boss fights don't take all that long either. Don't think I fought anything for more than about 45 seconds, and they usually just cycle between 3 move patterns.

grimm_shado

Unconfirmed Member
They have different move sets and difficulty levels, but yea, it's still the same models and a lot of the strategies for fighting them are the same every time. Maybe I didn't make it far enough, but idk. The boss fights don't take all that long either. Don't think I fought anything for more than about 45 seconds, and they usually just cycle between 3 move patterns.

Hmm, that sounds a lot like Monster Hunter and I'm probably ok with it.

Momentary

Banned

I've had boss fights take close to 10 minutes later on. I believe it was the glutton boss. The one with a ton of fishes around him.

Some of them are ridiculous in dufficulty. There are boss rushes that throw 5 bosses at you in a row. Like Boginzu. The last boss in that rush definitely does not take 45 seconds. I wish it did.

Alkuk

Neo Member

Then how do I clear the Chronicle Mode 2,3,4Player Rule Stages in this Version? Are they modified for Vita?

KainXVIII

Game cost 719 rubles in russian Steam store (with 20% discount), not that bad, but still a little expensive for me, for a shmup game, i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom