• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Matter: Season 3 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinUK86

klT2x3i.png

Season 3 starts Friday June 9th on Syfy!

Episodes:
Being Better Is So Much Harder
It Doesn't Have to Be Like This
Welcome to the Revolution
All the Time in the World
Give It Up, Princess
One Last Card To Play
Wish I Could Believe You
Hot Chocolate
Isn't That A Paradox?
Built, Not Born
The Dwarf Star Conspiracy
My Final Gift To You
Nowhere To Go

Official Season 3 Trailer 1
Official Season 3 Trailer 2

Dark Matter: After Dark - An aftershow recapping the recent aired episode, presented by Zoie Palmer (the Android), with special guests.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog - He's the creator of Dark Matter and his blog is constantly updated with behind the scenes photos, videos and info.

--------------------

mImzdNT.png

Season 2 starts July 1st on Syfy

Season 2 Trailer
Season 2 Bridge in 360°

New Cast Members

3tbrVIZ.png

Melanie Liburd - Nyx
With her killer instincts, Nyx is the physical equal to her formidable crewmates. Having spent recent years in and out of prison, she's cautiously optimistic about finding a place to call home on board the Raza.

39CMB0D.png

Shaun Sipos - Devon
Once a world class surgeon, Devon is haunted by a dark past that may pose a danger to himself and his fellow crew members.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

cKjAubG.png

Created by Joseph Mallozzi (Stargate SG-1, Stargate: Atlantis and Stargate Universe) and Paul Mullie (Stargate SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis) and based on the comic book series of the same name, Dark Matter follows six passengers aboard a spaceship who wake up from cryo-sleep with no memory of who they are or how they got there.

The only clue to their identities is a cargo bay full of weaponry and a preset destination: a remote mining colony that's about to become a war zone.

Their investigation into their situation triggers a series of interactions that provide clues to their individual identities … and as to why they've been brought together to fulfill an elusive and ever-daunting mission.

VoJFTgW.png
Ydlw4D1.png
bj2d7TJ.png
lV8Hxhg.png
78r2CTt.png
xFZIy7r.png
FXo0TcY.png

One played by Marc Bendavid

Charming but a bit of a goof, One is the crew's moral center, a guy who always tries to do the right thing, despite the odds stacked against him and no matter how unpopular the course of action. Sure, he screws up - but he means well.

Two played by Melissa O'Neil

The group's de facto leader, Two is a master fighter. Determined, tough and more than a little headstrong, she is not the type you want to mess with - or disappoint. She can be cool and inscrutable and yet, at the same time, can demonstrate surprising compassion - the mark of a true leader.

Three played by Anthony Lemke

A true badass, Three is the flip side to One's principled coin - which is why the two are often at odds, developing a (grudging) like-hate relationship over the course of their journey. He is a mercenary through-and-through, a Han Solo type, always looking out for himself. But he must come to accept the fact that if he's going to survive long enough to reach the outer colonies, he's going to have to learn to get along.

Four played by Alex Mallari Jr.

Ever-stoic and a master of the blade, Four's cool, calm demeanor belies a ruthlessness that gives even his fellow crewmembers pause. He's a man of few words but, when he does speak - just like when he fights - it's with precise efficiency. A fierce and relentless opponent, he is also an equally loyal and passionate friend.

Five played by Jodelle Ferland

The mascot with a knack for mechanics, Five also has some mysterious abilities. What first seem like telepathic powers turn out to be jumbled memories, but whose memories are they? She's the kid with all the secrets and a propensity for getting into trouble. Easily bored, quick to mouth off, she is nevertheless a relative innocent amongst less savory company.

Six played by Roger Cross

On the surface, Six is a low-key bruiser, an imposing figure amongst a group of intimidating individuals. Despite the company he keeps, he is a man of integrity with little patience for B.S. Cross him at your own risk. Beneath the rough and tumble exterior, however, is a heart of gold - 14k, the softest! A surprisingly simple guy, his quiet confidence belies a fierce intelligence and philosophical nature.

The Android played by Zoie Palmer

In personality, The Android is more butler-like than your typical robot - concise, staid, yet surprisingly possessed of a subtly wry sense of humor. She is an indispensible member of the crew since she can exercise control over all the ship's systems, an ability of which she isn't shy about reminding everyone. An outsider among the ship's human passengers, she is almost childlike in her earnest desire to fit in. Her character will grow and evolve through her interactions with her human charges as she'll inevitably gain acceptance as a member of the crew.[/B]

When is it on?

Fridays 10/9c on Syfy

Info:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/dark_mattertv

Trailer: https://youtu.be/1TqwBlTQfTg

Sneek Peek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7d3x1JRvuw

A look at the cast of Dark Matter: http://io9.com/meet-the-memory-wiped-astronauts-of-syfys-new-show-dark-1709920345

Joseph Mallozzi's blog: https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/ (includes a lot of cool behind the scenes stuff)

Info on the comic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matter_(comics)

Buy the comic: Dark Horse / Amazon UK / Amazon US

TeddyBoy

Just checked and it debuts this Monday in the UK, I'll give it a watch since I haven't had a good new sci-fi show since SGU :)

I think the threads are more or less sorted out now, GavinUK86. I couldn't quite get it to do what I wanted, but this should suffice. Enjoy the show tonight.

GavinUK86

Thanks for clearing it up Cornballer, everything seems to be in order. I appreciate it.

Just checked and it debuts this Monday in the UK, I'll give it a watch since I haven't had a good new sci-fi show since SGU :)

Syfy have been doing a lot of fairly decent sci fi shows as of late. Usually comes across a bit cheesy but at least they're trying, right? The Expanse is looking really good.

GavinUK86

Some reviews of the first episode.

http://collider.com/dark-matter-review/

Early into its journey, Dark Matter is purely exploratory. It introduces its characters and gives a brief sketch of its world, but doesn’t (yet) give a sense of where it’s heading. A number of mysterious objects on the ship will surely add up to something eventually, but the biggest question at hand is who wiped the crew’s memories, and why. Dark Matter creates enough intrigue, and does so stylishly enough so far, that its other problems can be overlooked for now. Like its crew, Dark Matter has the opportunity to potentially erase some of the sins of sci-fi (and Syfy) series past, and become something better.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/dark-matter-review-from-dark-horse-comics-on-syfy-channel-1201515144/

Still, not all of the cabler’s dramas are created equal, and “Dark Matter” feels like it could be a modest cut above. So just to put it in the terms of its no-name crew, on a scale of One to Six, this one rates about a Four.

And an interview:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/longtime-stargate-ep-aims-bring-802045

Why should fans tune in?

People tune in for a concept but they stay for the characters and we’ve got some very interesting, colorful, diverse characters. At the end of the day, if you’re looking for a fun sci-fi adventure series, this is the one you should check out.

ScouserPants

Neo Member
I love how they are re-advertising for SciFi Friday again (the last time I saw they mention it was BSG). All their best shows were on Fridays.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I guess the mods fused our threads or something?

Well in any case, I've tagged this one. :)

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. Just found out what happened. Sorry Gavin, hadn't realized you requested the OT!

GavinUK86

I love how they are re-advertising for SciFi Friday again (the last time I saw they mention it was BSG). All their best shows were on Fridays.

I used to love scifi Fridays!

I guess the mods fused our threads or something?

Well in any case, I've tagged this one. :)

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. Just found out what happened. Sorry Gavin, hadn't realized you requested the OT!

No worries mate.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Just another half an hour!

Been watching Defiance's two-hour season premiere after dropping the show somewhere around... 1x07, haha. It's really been quite enjoyable. I think the show has picked up considerably. Or this is just an epic fluke.

But we're not here to talk Defiance. We're here to talk Dark Matter... and it's so so close.

Wow, I'm pretty shocked right now. I enjoyed the Dark Matter comic but kinda felt like I was the only person on the planet who knew about it. Had no idea a TV adaptation was in the works.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Wow, I'm pretty shocked right now. I enjoyed the Dark Matter comic but kinda felt like I was the only person on the planet who knew about it. Had no idea a TV adaptation was in the works.

It seems like it's become all but impossible for Syfy to get the word out on its projects. Hopefully that starts to turn around now that they're working on stuff that sounds good (IMO) again.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Well, we're at the halfway mark! Gotta say, while it's certainly nothing amazing I'm definitely falling closer to the 75 reviews than IGN's biting 50. There are some things I like already, and sci-fi shows are infamous for having weak starts more often than not, so I'm certainly sticking with it.

Korigama

Hadn't heard about this until tonight during commercial breaks for Defiance, so I decided to give it a chance. Seems interesting enough, so I'll stick with it to see where it goes.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Haha, yeah, I swear no one seems to have heard about it.

I thought it was pretty decent. But I'm starved for space opera. It's... literally my favorite thing. Lots of blatant room for improvement and that is a harder hurdle to be granted the time necessary to climb over in our modern television landscape. Hopefully enough people are equally as starved.

GavinUK86

lol you are not the only person who knew about the comic. i bought all the single issues the day they came out. i really liked it, just a shame they didn't get to carry it on.

it was written as a tv show in the first place but they couldn't get anyone to pick it up so it ended up as a comic.

so tv(?) > comic > tv lol.

the first 3 episodes of this is apparently the entire comic series so it'll be interesting to see where it goes after that.

GavinUK86

Ok, so the first episode is the first two issues of the comic, exactly. Panel for panel.

So episode 2 will be #3 and #4 and then it's all new territory. Well, for us who read the comic, which I don't think there are many lol.

I really enjoyed it. My only issue was Two. I really don't like the actress playing her, she's pretty cringeworthy. Everyone else seems solid to me.

I especially liked the Android. I wasn't sure about making her female but the actress is doing a really great job so far.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Ah, so that's why Dark Matter looked so short. It ended after what will be only two, maybe three episodes, tops.

Yeah, Mallozzi and Mullie tried comics because no one wanted to pick up a space opera back then. Sad state.

GavinUK86

Ah, so that's why Dark Matter looked so short. It ended after what will be only two, maybe three episodes, tops.

Yeah, Mallozzi and Mullie tried comics because no one wanted to pick up a space opera back then. Sad state.

Yeah, there was supposed to be more after the initial 4 issue mini-series to kick off the second story arc but they didn't bother.

There were two rumours at the time.

One, people were finally interested in making it into a TV show and two, no one bought it.

I'm leaning towards the first rumour considering where we are right now.

Either way, I think it shows promise.

Really enjoyed the first episode. Looking forward to where it goes.

Like JeffZero said, I'm also really in the mood for something like this.

I hope Killjoys is good too next week.

Savitar

Like anything it has potential. The first season....Yeah it'll probably suck or be kinda eh, a lot of shows tend to be since they lay down the foundations or focus on characters so you learn how they are. But if they make it past the first season it could come into it's own.

I'll give it a chance if nothing else.

lol you are not the only person who knew about the comic. i bought all the single issues the day they came out. i really liked it, just a shame they didn't get to carry it on.

it was written as a tv show in the first place but they couldn't get anyone to pick it up so it ended up as a comic.

so tv(?) > comic > tv lol.

the first 3 episodes of this is apparently the entire comic series so it'll be interesting to see where it goes after that.

I guess considering your avatar I should not be surprised. Dark Horse was my favorite comic book publisher the last time I had a pull list. I need to get back into comics...

I liked it.

Its pretty good. A bit predictable and the atmosphere is not there yet (would have liked to see more effects done with them as they woke up from stasis) some aspects of the ship and the rooms are clean for my taste, especially after what seems to be a long while sense they last woke. Then with them meeting the people on the planet was pretty cut and dry not much meat there visually. An to be blunt the characters are a little to cliche though, I'm hoping that they grow out of their archetypes. Never the less I like 3, 2 and 6. 4 is to much of a stereotype so i hope the show runners see that.

Overall there's promise here and like all new shows with promise they need time to grow. I'll give it 5 episodes (cowboy bebop rule unless its super shit). So the pilot gets a B- from me, plus one for production valves over all with the vfx loved the wrap.

PS The actress for 5 needs a to work on her skills a little more, when she was describing the dream of her's it was a little campy and seemed like a odd place to start talking about that knowledge.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Those were such good times. I had it so good and I didn't even know it. Babylon 5 and DS9 and Voyager and when they ended I checked out Farscape and then Enterprise was on and then Stargate SG-1 came to a network I was familiar with and then Stargate Atlantis spun off from it and then Battlestar Galactica premiered and then ...

... D:

I enjoyed the first episode well enough and the final bit of the episode where
an important piece of backstory is revealed has potential.

Not bad for a pilot episode.

It kind of felt like Unreal Tournament: The TV Series.

I appreciate the amount of female characters, and the acting isn't terrible. Didn't really feel like a strong first episode; really should've been two hours to get the narrative to a place where I'd seek out another episode. But who am I kidding, there's no other space sci-fi shows on right now, so I'll probably give it a chance.

The part where the energy gun blast bounced off the door with the mystery behind it in the ship and back at Three made me laugh lol.

Thought he'd blow it open due to the obvious timing with Five's story and the heavy audio, so it instead bouncing off and back at him got me lol.

The warp was pretty cool looking, I agree.

An to blunt the characters are a little to cliche though, I'm hoping that they grow out of their archetypes. Never the less I like 3 and 2 and 6. 4 is to much of a stereotype so i hope the show runners see that.

I agree, though at least on the plus side it's decently built into the story with the whole memory loss thing that they can start out somewhat archetypal so it's a bit more fitting than just the usual "season 1 effect".

Those were such good times. I had it so good and I didn't even know it. Babylon 5 and DS9 and Voyager and when they ended I checked out Farscape and then Enterprise was on and then Stargate SG-1 came to a network I was familiar with and then Stargate Atlantis spun off from it and then Battlestar Galactica premiered and then ...

... D:

Yup...

Hate to admit it but I think that looks awful.

Certainly possible.

I guess we'll see, parts of the trailer look like it could be fun if the main three don't suck and have some actual comradery.

And the action also needs to be quite good if it's gonna work.

Not familiar with the other two stars but Aaron Ashmore was pretty likable relatively recently in both Warehouse 13 and guesting on XIII: The Series.

Or it could just be my mind just wanting to give it a chance thanks to my positive thoughts toward space bounty hunting thanks to Cowboy Bebop!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Or it could just be my mind just wanting to give it a chance thanks to my positive thoughts toward space bounty hunting thanks to Cowboy Bebop!

This combined with my low standards/expectations for tv will get it at least another two episodes to get interesting. Pilot didn't blow my mind but it didn't give me cancer either.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Space TV is in a really interesting place right now. Middling delivery of new brand names would have tanked a decade ago, because there were other space shows.

aku:jiki

It's a bummer that both of these new Syfy shows appear to have sub-zero levels of hype on the internet. They both feel DOA. :(

Hopefully they're still enjoyable despite being doomed.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's a bummer that both of these new Syfy shows appear to have sub-zero levels of hype on the internet. They both feel DOA. :(

Hopefully they're still enjoyable despite being doomed.

I think people have just kind of stopped equating Syfy with a network worth watching... to the point that there's pretty much nothing they could do short of announcing STAR TREK: THE SIXTH SERIES that'd really make anyone on the net stand up and shout from rooftops.

But yeah, The Expanse and Childhood's End do seem to already be garnering a bit more buzz, despite being six months away.

Pickman

This show actually looks better than The Expanse imo. And it's by showrunners I know can produce something I fully enjoy with the Stargate series.

Vito

Banned
What annoyed me the most were the chairs in the dropship, oh god the bar stool chairs...

And the kid, they tend to always be the annoying ones in scifi shows.

But I'm starved for space opera. It's... literally my favorite thing.

Yamato 2199, it's pretty much awesome scifi opera. Sadly most won't see cause "ewww anime" and the botched US distro.

obin_gam

Live thoughts while watching ep 1:

Nice design on the ship.

Oh god the line readings are terrible

Why am I not watching red dwarf instead?

Everyone is unlikeable

Why do they need weapons on an empty ship?

I so want to turn this off

Android is kinda pretty

Im guessing the big season twist is they are murderous criminals

Why does the women have skimpy clothes?

The mysteriousness is so boring. Again - why isnt this red dwarf?

There is no soul anywhere in this show

The angry dick needs to die. He is utterly ridiculous.

'
We're heading into orbit. You're about to go down and look for answers'
I hope someone got fired for that line.

Oh no. Its a fucking every-planet-looks-like-an-industrial-complex show!

Yeah sure dont bother to introduce anyone properly. Just rush through everything.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE WHY SHOULD I CARE ABOUT THEM??

Rothgar... Is this in the Elder Scrolls Cinematic Universe?

HA! I knew it lol

This was terrible overall.

GavinUK86

Live thoughts while watching ep 1:

Why do they need weapons on an empty ship?

Yeah sure dont bother to introduce anyone properly. Just rush through everything.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE WHY SHOULD I CARE ABOUT THEM??

This was terrible overall.

Most of your issues is the whole point of the show, especially these 3. If you don't have the patience to to find out then I guess this isn't a show for you. Well, I guess no fiction is for you because why would it reveal everything in the first hour?

obin_gam

Most of your issues is the whole point of the show, especially these 3. If you don't have the patience to to find out then I guess this isn't a show for you. Well, I guess no fiction is for you because why would it reveal everything in the first hour?

BSG introduced a giant cast in it's first hour in detail and depth. In fact a lot of shows do.
This one felt like that 90s show Cleopatra 2155 or whatever it was called.

Wiktor

Pretty decent premiere. Very piloty and heavy on set up, which tends to be the case with space shows and here they also threw in the big mystery, but I still had fun and I want to see more. Mostly because I like the characters. None of them has turned me off yet. Plus that ending sold me on the whole show. Seeing even the baby faced One be not just a murderer, but somebody who dealt in actual human traffiking? That was awesome.
Feels kind of like darker version of Farscape in a way that the lead characters aren't really fully good people :)

Basically it's got a like going in the vein of what Stargate: Universe was. I liked Stargate: Universe as its own thing (even though I prefer the other Stargates), so I'll continue watching it as a result.

So far I'd say it's mediocre based off the first ep, wouldn't call it bad but I'm desperate for sci fi shows in space. Hopefully Killjoys can escape mediocrity.

Will continue watching this, it's decent enough to hold my attention and like I said, I'm desperate. I've watched every single sci fi TV show in space from Star Trek to Farscape to BSG to Stargate and everything in between and yearning for these sort of shows to return. :/

It is basically a mish-mash of a bunch of other TV shows (Firefly especially).

The ending was kinda interesting, but I'm not all that invested in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom