• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Matter: Season 3 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found Dark Matter better than Killjoys. Its more comparable in tone and the take on sci fi. Much better, actually. I might go back and give Killjoys another shot though.

I'd suggest giving The Expanse another go. Just savour it, watch it slowly and patiently and you will love it. Its universe is very well fleshed out.

Going to miss Dark Matter. It was such a fun show.

I was a fan of Dark Matter as well, but for me Killjoys benefits for having a more streamlined cast to focus on. Both shows dealt with war this past season, but I found the execution of Killjoys much more superior than the corporate war on Dark Matter. I did really like the cast of Dark Matter, they are really active on Twitter. Hoping somehow the show can continue.

With The Expanse I found it to be dense, but not engaging. I remember sticking with season 1 to get to the end reveal, and thinking that was it. Of the 3 areas they focused on, I only slightly cared about the Mars crew. I found it to be mostly plot driven, and I tend to prefer more emphasis on character. I've heard some people making the comparison to The Expanse being a sci-fi GOT, not in subject matter but in scope. The difference being for me is there were a ton of characters I connected with in GOT from the beginning.

It's cool people seem to enjoy it though, just wasn't for me.

GavinUK86

1.jpg

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2017/09/04/september-4-2017-the-dark-matter-latest/

Everyone needs to get tweeting using #TeamRaza on Friday, whether you're rewatching or not.

Also - https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2017/09/04/september-4-2017-the-dark-matter-latest/

A glimmer of hope! I've heard that executives at a few of the other broadcast options we are reaching out to have taken note of the huge fan response. The tweets, the comments, even the petitions (https://t.co/5bqcMXdpSI – which, frankly, won't convince Syfy to change their minds but still serves a great purpose) have caught the attention of the decision makers. However, grabbing their attention is one thing; convincing them is something else. That's going to take a lot more fan noise – so keep it up, especially during this most crucial week. Let them know how much Dark Matter means to you! See if we can net us another season or two.

Everyone sign the petition too - https://www.change.org/p/syfy-renew-dark-matter-for-season-4?recruiter=380334796&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=share_petition

Korigama

Hadn't heard this news until tonight. Unfortunate, as even though I watched both shows, I did like Dark Matter better between it and Killjoys if I had to choose.

Would be nice if it were to land on another network, but won't get my hopes up.

jrcbandit

I signed the petition too. This is the month to make all the noise, wait too long and the sets will be destroyed, actors signed on to new projects, etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is Netflix still in the business of saving shows though? I don't think they've picked up anything that was cancelled since Longmire.

I can't see Netflix saving this, the ownership is a bit tangled and complicated - a third party company owns it, Space and SyFy had distribution rights for seasons 1-3, etc so would Netflix even be able to show 1-3 if they made more? Plus the fanbase isn't that large, and honestly the last season was mediocre at best.

It was imo a huge mistake to create some plotlines that didn't resolve in a single season - android revolution, black goo - and just focus on Ryu and corporate wars, which were the most boring parts of the show. The constant cast shifting in and out didn't help either. Plus the blink drive was criminally underused, like having the replicator or transporter on Trek and rarely using them to solve problems.

Killjoys also had a similar overall plot (green goo instead of black goo) but imo executed it much, much better over 3 seasons with each season building up the main arc while exploring fun side stories. I know some people won't like it because its VERY campy / quirky but I prefer it to DM for that exact reason, dark matters was way too grim way too often.

Definitely watch The Expanse if you haven't, I'd say thats the best sci fi show of the past decade and thats one I hope Netflix picks up if SyFy drops the ball.

GavinUK86

I can't see Netflix saving this, the ownership is a bit tangled and complicated - a third party company owns it, Space and SyFy had distribution rights for seasons 1-3, etc so would Netflix even be able to show 1-3 if they made more?

Dark Matter is already on Netflix.

GavinUK86

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2017/09/20/september-20-2017-one-down-one-to-go/

Looks like Dark Matter is probably dead.

If you're not up on current events, there were apparently 3 parties interested. One dropped out last week and now a second has passed on it. One of those was obviously Netflix so whoever is left, if they even say yes, is only offering a trimmed down 4-8 episode miniseries.

Funnily enough, Joseph Mallozzi said in a post the other day a miniseries would not work because there's too much story to wrap up in a couple episodes. So there we go. RIP.

Weevilone

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2017/09/20/september-20-2017-one-down-one-to-go/

Looks like Dark Matter is probably dead.

If you're not up on current events, there were apparently 3 parties interested. One dropped out last week and now a second has passed on it. One of those was obviously Netflix so whoever is left, if they even say yes, is only offering a trimmed down 4-8 episode miniseries.

Funnily enough, Joseph Mallozzi said in a post the other day a miniseries would not work because there's too much story to wrap up in a couple episodes. So there we go. RIP.

I can't believe I let myself watch something on SyFy again. I've learned this lesson too many times. Gotta wait and pick it up on Netflix or something later on if it survives long enough to warrant a viewing.

Dark Matter has been a recent favorite, but I don't have time to waste on story lines that don't get wrapped up.

gibut

Sad this thread didn't get more love, along with Dark Matter. Just started watching season 3 on Netflix, always like following threads as I catch up on a show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom