• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Matter: Season 3 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started Season 01 a few days ago.
Is it like Stargate or similar shows where one episode has a seperate story?
Yeah, more or less. There's often a scene at the end of the episode that sets up the next one, but it's rare that the plot of an episode is a direct continuation of the plot of the previous one.
And was wondering why the japanese guy is played by a guy from the Phillipines.
His home planet has a Japanese inspired culture, but it has several ethnicities.

You could tell they saved some of their special effects budget for the finale.

With this show, I'm not exactly sure on the fate of 6. Even though the character cared about it, I never found the corporate war angle compelling.

The alien invasion/android revolution are much more interesting. Hope the show comes back for another season.

Blackage

Rio being the main antagonist of the story this season has been good for it. I doubt he can ever come back into the fold with his Empire hanging over his head, but you can see clearly the conflict is there.

I really miss seeing him play off all the others, but they've really written the character into the corner where it's true the conflict between Rio and the Raza crew can only end one way, and we all know what that is. :( The show is not shy about killing off characters.

I am happy to be wrong. :)

Hoping it gets a 4th and 5th final season.

Ducarmel

Sad to see the show end especially with that huge cliffhanger.

I have to be honest I was not feeling the whole android rights story line and how Two and The Android were part of it the whole time it came out of nowhere imo, I did like everything else that happened this season.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
God fucking dammit... Jesus

Oh well I mean.. Makes you wonder where they were going with the story.

It was good while it lasted.. :|

Mengetsu

What are the chances they change their minds or Netflix picks it up? It wouldn't be expensive to do hell keep the same budget just let the story finish 😠

GavinUK86

I've only just found out the news.

What a load of shite.

I mean, Killjoys is fun, but to cancel Dark Matter but allow them to have 2 final seasons?

What a load of bullshit.

I've only just found out the news.

What a load of shite.

I mean, Killjoys is fun, but to cancel Dark Matter but allow them to have 2 final seasons?

What a load of bullshit.

Yeah, I might be done with this block. Killjoys is good but the only reason I stuck with it for 3 years was because Dark Matter came on right after, if that makes any sense. By itself, I would've dropped it halfway through season 2.

kurahador

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!! 12 Monkeys was renewed for a final season, Killjoys got 2 more seasons.
What the fuck Syfy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Wtf at the cancellation. This sucks.

Dark Matter was the only show I watch on SyFy - fun sci-fi with a badass, diverse cast... what am I gonna replace it with? :(

Oh man, what the fuck?

This show is awesome. That science fiction ground hog day episode with 3 is awesome. This season has been wonderful. I love the episode where they go to earth and the Android wants to dress up and dances to music.

This show is so much fun, and funny. Its fun sci fi. Simulations of robots being corrupted. Alternate universes with evil dopplegangers. Time travel. Its all great.

I can't believe they canceled it. Like it so much better than Killjoys. The audience for Sy Fy is fucking garbage. They'll never support a good show. Even BattleStar Galactica had to be canceled.

While I prefer Killjoys over Dark Matter, I am really disappointed to see Dark Matter end like this without the ability to finish their story. Especially when things were getting interesting with the alien invasion and android revolution. Maybe there is a small chance another outlet can save it.

Yado

Man that sucks. I quit Killjoys this season because it was so boring I couldn't force myself to watch it anymore.

Krakn3Dfx

Dammit, I had a bad feeling, but I had heard the ratings were steady, so I was hopeful it would come back.

Wish they would at least green light some sort of 2-hour movie to wrap up the loose ends.

Averon

I knew it was coming, but it still stings.

I fear The Expanse is next. That show looks expensive to produce, and I am not sure it is pulling in the numbers to justify that expense.

Edit:
https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2017/09/01/september-1-2017-dark-matter-cancelled/

It is with great sadness that I confirm the news. Syfy has cancelled Dark Matter after three seasons.

To say that I'm incredibly disappointed would be an understatement.

I'll save my comments and field your questions in a future blog entry. For today, I just want to extend a heartfelt thanks to my amazing crew, my wonderful cast, and to all of you, our incredible fans.

You all deserved better.

Given the tone of that post, It seems the show runners were caught off guard, too.

What kind of asshole watches Killjoys but not Dark Matter and The Expanse?

I imagine the money from Netflix is probably keeping Expanse afloat. And I actually don't fear it being canceled that much because I'm sure Netflix would pick it up.

And yeah Expanse has to be extremely expensive. The effects and production is even better in season 2.

TDLink

I'm not too bummed. I kept watching this but it never really exceeded being average, and the obvious low budget perpetually kept it down. Everything concerning Zairon (sp?) was always the epitome of lame. And the corporate war never seemed as important or exciting as the characters treated it.

I did enjoy the cast chemistry and I guess that's what kept me watching.

And yeah, Killjoys is just as average, probably a bit worse and suffers from a lot of the same problems.

The Expanse is the only real good space sci-fi on the air right now.

It's kind of crazy how many great shows in the genre there were in the 90s and early 2000s. And now it's like we're picking the bones with these low budget, low effort shows.

I'm still crossing my fingers for Star Trek Discovery, but it feels like there's nothing else on the horizon.

What kind of asshole watches Killjoys but not Dark Matter and The Expanse?

Killjoys is an entertaining show with good characters. It has funny dialogue and I like the mythology of the world.

I watched the 1st season of The Expanse and it never really clicked for me. I wanted to like it, but the characters never really grabbed me and I found the Earth politics boring. Also didn't care about Julie Mao.

The Hobo

I'm not too bummed. I kept watching this but it never really exceeded being average, and the obvious low budget perpetually kept it down. Everything concerning Zairon (sp?) was always the epitome of lame. And the corporate war never seemed as important or exciting as the characters treated it.

I did enjoy the cast chemistry and I guess that's what kept me watching.

I feel the exact same way. The show spent too much time on the Raza. And any time off the Raza was usually spent walking through a warehouse or factory. They clearly didn't have the budget to explore the war between the corporations, or the Zairon conflict. Too little show, too much tell.

GavinUK86

Killjoys is an entertaining show with good characters. It has funny dialogue and I like the mythology of the world.

I watched the 1st season of The Expanse and it never really clicked for me. I wanted to like it, but the characters never really grabbed me and I found the Earth politics boring. Also didn't care about Julie Mao.

Killjoys. Funny dialogue. Yeah, last week they had an ass to mouth joke that was used more than once. The show might be fun but good dialogue it does not have.

Killjoys. Funny dialogue. Yeah, last week they had an ass to mouth joke that was used more than once. The show might be fun but good dialogue it does not have.
To be fair, I think the dialog in that episode was based on a dare to put as many sexual puns in as possible cause the sheer volume of those jokes really stuck out.

But I'm still waiting for them to come up with any description other than "Bitch" when opposing women talk about each other. It's funny to remember when people gave Arkham City flack for everyone calling Catwoman a bitch and how bad this male game developer culture is, and then there's Killjoys created by a woman with many female writers that does the exact same lazy thing.

mid83

Just heard this show was canceled after Season 3. This one is on my long list of shows to eventually get to. I also hear it ends on a cliffhanger. Is it still worth watching despite the ending or should I go ahead and take it off my list?

I found Dark Matter better than Killjoys. Its more comparable in tone and the take on sci fi. Much better, actually. I might go back and give Killjoys another shot though.

I'd suggest giving The Expanse another go. Just savour it, watch it slowly and patiently and you will love it. Its universe is very well fleshed out.

Going to miss Dark Matter. It was such a fun show.

Man, when SyfY said they wanted to get back to their roots, I did not expect them to be so literal. 50% shit generic shows, 50% phenomenal.

Ducarmel

Every time this thread is bumped Im hoping for good news.

Just heard this show was canceled after Season 3. This one is on my long list of shows to eventually get to. I also hear it ends on a cliffhanger. Is it still worth watching despite the ending or should I go ahead and take it off my list?

It ends on one big cliffhanger but also there is like 5-6+ storylines not resolved either.

Stay away if your the type of person that does not like unfinished stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom