• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 1.04 Patch Notes - [Patch 1.05 Has Been Released On 360/PS3 U.S. & 360 EU]

On the plus side, even if Havel's did get nerfed into oblivion, Ornstein's set did get a slight buff.

5 more Physical Defense, Slash/Thrust/Strike DEF all increased by around 5, took a hit in Poise by 1 point.

IrishNinja

Instro said:
Come on Dex buffs, no whammy.

yup! already saw my +15 Iaito got some #'s from the japanese post, plus new faith req for sunlight...back to owning these weak-ass pyros

Zeliard said:
Iron Flesh nerfed, Crystal Ring Shield nerfed, Sorcery + Pyro NOIFED

People are runnin outta that delicious cottage cheese :D

feels good, man

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
AlphaDragoon said:
Haha, holy shit.

Havel's got nerfed into the goddamn ground. From 121 Poise...to 25.

The guy on GameFAQs who said that says he got Poise and Poison Resist mixed up.

It does sound like Poise has been mostly reduced across the board, but not that much.

shiroryu

InfiniDragon said:
The translator who reported the Havel's nerf is so flabbergasted by it he's redoing the math and the translation to make sure he didn't goof. If that happens to be the case it might still be usable. If not...lol.

Will it make Havel have less poise when you're hitting him? Will need to see if From nerfs him too.

hteng

Banned
AlphaDragoon said:
That site doesn't have everything updated, just so you know. It still shows Ornstein's set with the old stats.

incidently, if you add all the poison resistance stat of the set, you get 25...

http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/armor/havels_armor

http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/armor/havels_gauntlets

http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/armor/havels_leggings

http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/armor/havels_helm

some dude has the stats mixed up and are sprouting false rumor

hteng said:
incidently, if you add all the poison resistance stat of the set, you get 25...

http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/armor/havels_gauntlets

http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/armor/havels_leggings

http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/armor/havels_helm

some dude has the stats mixed up and are sprouting false rumor

Yeah, it's likely he mixed up the stats.

Still doesn't mean the site is fully up to date. Like I said, Ornstein's set got buffed and several sets got nerfed and it doesn't have the changes yet. Just warning you not to go off that site as gospel for everything yet, as it's still missing some stuff.

hteng

Banned
AlphaDragoon said:
Yeah, it's likely he mixed up the stats.

Still doesn't mean the site is fully up to date. Like I said, Ornstein's set got buffed and several sets got nerfed and it doesn't have the changes yet. Just warning you not to go off that site as gospel for everything yet, as it's still missing some stuff.

i don't know where this Ornstein buff info comes from, it's been going around but no one has actually shown anything concrete about it.

hteng said:
i don't know where this Ornstein buff info comes from, it's been going around but no one has actually shown anything concrete about it.
Phy def increased by 5 pts
Strike def increased by 4.8 pts
Slash def increased by 5.7 pts
Thrust def increased by 5.0 pts
Poise down by 1.0 pt.

Same guy checking stats for the other gear. He mixed up Poise and Poison Resistance on Havel's most likely, but I doubt he could mess this many things up. I specifically asked him to check that gear for me and that's the answer he gave.

I'm glad that From is making a patch as significant as this. I feel this gen a lot of games had balance/technical issues like these that people would always say "Hope it gets patched" that end up never being touched again. From is exemplary of what a dev should be.

Yeah, he checked again and Poise is the same on Havel's set. So it's unchanged from the patch, didn't get uber-nerfed.

I'm happy about the Ornstein's buff though, I love that armor.

bj00rn_

Banned
All this "balancing" is making me nervous. I don't have the time nor skill to play this game perfectly like it perhaps is meant to be "played", I don't know.. So some of this balancing might mean that some of the doors for me to enjoy the game will be closed off now. ...I hope not. I really didn't need a harder game than it already was.. Quite the opposite in fact :(

Small Mailman said:
So will this make the game harder or easier?

Harder, in a lot of cases. The Four Kings are gonna be even more douchey thanks to Iron Flesh getting its DEF buff removed completely. No more Crystal Ring Shield spamming either, and Pyromancy/Sorcery got damage nerfs.

Misterinenja said:
Nerfing Havel Armor is stupid. What armor does have the biggest poise now?

Havel's set is safe, the guy re-checked and goofed on the translation. It's unchanged from the old version.

54-46! said:
Any changes to the Chaos blade?

I want to know this too. I hope to God they dropped that shitty Hiltless-esque HP loss per attack thing.

def sim

Small Mailman said:
So will this make the game harder or easier?

Apart from the exploits and the overpowered shield in PvE, most of the changes are for PvP. So it should be the same unless you were cheating.

duckroll

54-46! said:
Any changes to the Chaos blade?

Better DEX scaling, like all stat scaling weapons.

rance said:
Apart from the exploits and the overpowered shield in PvE, most of the changes are for PvP. So it should be the same unless you were cheating.

There are also a ton of changes which affect the single player game. Items being added to various merchants for sale, better stat scaling weapons, pyromancer nerf, various bug fixes that should actually make parts of the game less annoying to play, better lock-on, etc.

rance said:

Well, it also changed for some people depending on what gear they were wearing. Gold-Hemmed set got ganked hard so it'll be harder for folks wearing that. People using DEX weapons like me (Iaito all day every day) will have it easier as scaling on weapons got buffed.

deim0s

duckroll said:
Better DEX scaling, like all stat scaling weapons.

There are also a ton of changes which affect the single player game. Items being added to various merchants for sale, better stat scaling weapons, pyromancer nerf, various bug fixes that should actually make parts of the game less annoying to play, better lock-on, etc.
Are dex builds the only ones that gets buffed? Hoping str builds as well. Either way, will start on a new char based on dex.

deim0s said:
Are dex builds the only ones that gets buffed? Hoping str builds as well. Either way, will start on a new char based on dex.

Nah, all scaling saw improvement. Moonlight Sword now has a fucking S in Intelligence, as if that sword needed to be more powerful. XD

Demon's Greataxe has S in Strength, as well.

duckroll

deim0s said:

Not 100% sure (I'm biased since I play a DEX character lol), but it appears that every single stat scaling weapon is being buffed up in terms of how effective the scaling is. I've also heard that some weapons have changed scaling from one stat to another stat.

duckroll said:
Not 100% sure (I'm biased since I play a DEX character lol), but it appears that every single stat scaling weapon is being buffed up in terms of how effective the scaling is. I've also heard that some weapons have changed scaling from one stat to another stat.

Even though I highly doubt it, you happen to know if they dropped the "HP loss per attack" thing from Chaos Blade? I'd love to give that thing a go but as it stands it's garbage just like Hiltless was in Demon's Souls.

NBtoaster

So the armor I got from next to the ceaseless discharge is now nerfed (gold rimmed?). Been using that forever.

Luckily I've never relied on iron flesh, thought it would be useless :s

V_Arnold

bj00rn_ said:
All this "balancing" is making me nervous. I don't have the time nor skill to play this game perfectly like it perhaps is meant to be "played", I don't know.. So some of this balancing might mean that some of the doors for me to enjoy the game will be closed off now. ...I hope not. I really didn't need a harder game than it already was.. Quite the opposite in fact :(

Umh, what? If you mean exploits by "doors", then no, no game should allow players to exploit their way through games. Especially when you could just decide to invade players with that exploit (as single/Multi is not separated!).

Other than that, because a spell or two deals less damage, that does not change the overall experience.

Of course if this is someone's first time of experiencing a nerf patch, then maybe. But me, personally, as a long-time MMO/FG/+current SCII player, I will adjust accordingly easily.

duckroll

AlphaDragoon said:
Even though I highly doubt it, you happen to know if they dropped the "HP loss per attack" thing from Chaos Blade? I'd love to give that thing a go but as it stands it's garbage just like Hiltless was in Demon's Souls.

I don't think so, but I can't say for sure. I have the Asian English version of the game, so no patch for me yet either. :(

NBtoaster said:
So the armor I got from next to the ceaseless discharge is now nerfed (gold rimmed?). Been using that forever.

Luckily I've never relied on iron flesh, thought it would be useless :s

Yeah, all reports are saying it got gimped pretty bad.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Gold Hemmed Set was really out of balance, as much as I used it I was always trying to find a piece of light/medium armor that would let me get rid of it. It's nerfed stats are still great for armor that basically weighs nothing.

For Iron Flesh, I wish they would've improved the movement speed if they were going to get rid of the damage resistance. Make it a poise powerhouse. It seems largely useless now.

V_Arnold

Natiko said:
Now that the gold hemmed set has been nerfed is there ANY lightweight armor worthwhile in the game? Ugh.

There are. Just because a light armor does not defend you from 2h-attacks, it is worth wearing for resistance alone. The previous way was insanely over-powered, imho. And yep, I used it too :(

def sim

duckroll said:

I guess I see most of them as superficial, slight changes when it comes to single player but totally game changing in PvP. The nerfs to general magic especially don't matter much since the AI still have the same patterns they always did. The only real change will be that you might have to fight an extra minute now.

Improved lock on and earlier bottomless box are welcome changes though, definitely.

duckroll

rance said:
I guess I see most of them as superficial, slight changes when it comes to single player but totally game changing in PvP. The nerfs to general magic especially don't matter much since the AI still have the same patterns they always did. The only real change will be that you might have to fight an extra minute now.

Improved lock on and earlier bottomles box are welcome changes though, definitely.

I don't see it as a "superficial" change that there are elements which completely change the way you might build a character. Or when it comes to considering what sort of equipment are viable for a certain play style. If we're talking about actual difficulty (which was the guy's original question) then sure, there is basically no major change because the game's actual challenge was never from number crunching anyway.

I just feel that with the extensively changes being made, when taken as a whole, it would be selling it short to say that there is no real impact on single player. It definitely does especially for people who will be playing the game again with new characters, or new players just getting into the game now, etc.

The only major gameplay change I wish they would do but probably never will, is making it like Demon's Souls where two-handed grip completely screws over Parry/Riposte again. It was a really cool thing that forced people to think about which grip style they were using, whereas Dark Souls seems to think being able to parry an Ultra Greatsword with a Target Shield is acceptable and logical. >_>

V_Arnold said:
There are. Just because a light armor does not defend you from 2h-attacks, it is worth wearing for resistance alone. The previous way was insanely over-powered, imho. And yep, I used it too :(

I agree. I was actually pretty sick of having to use the Gold-Hemmed thing or the Antiquated Randomly Powerful and Silly Skirt. Having better defense than a lot heavier pieces of equipment was crap, even if you find them later in the game.

shiroryu

Any idea what's improved in lock-on? Longer range to lock-on? Faster toggling between enemies? Better camera?

Removing the Ring of Fog non-lock-on was great. Stupid game design decision given that a lot of the combat revolves around the lock-on, unless you have a wide-swinging large weapon or AoE magic.

shiroryu said:
Any idea what's improved in lock-on? Longer range to lock-on? Faster toggling between enemies? Better camera?

Removing the Ring of Fog non-lock-on was great. Stupid game design decision given that a lot of the combat revolves around the lock-on, unless you have a wide-swinging large weapon or AoE magic.
I hope faster toggling between enemies. In Demon's Souls it was an instant toggle, and in Dark Souls you have to wiggle the stick like five times.

shiroryu

Backfoggen said:
I hope faster toggling between enemies. In Demon's Souls it was an instant toggle, and in Dark Souls you have to wiggle the stick like five times.

I see these complaints about the toggling in the threads, but I never had these issues on my PS3 version. Flicking the right stick once to the right/left works pretty fine for me, though I haven't been to the low FPS areas yet.

Perhaps it's part of the larger input buffer issues thing.

duckroll

shiroryu said:
I see these complaints about the toggling in the threads, but I never had these issues on my PS3 version. Flicking the right stick once to the right/left works pretty fine for me, though I haven't been to the low FPS areas yet.

Perhaps it's part of the larger input buffer issues thing.

I'm playing on the PS3 too and the lock-on in Dark Souls is without a doubt worse than how it worked in Demon's Souls. Just try this out: from the bonfire at the Undead Burg, just step outside and aggro the undead dude from under the stairs. As he is coming up the stairs, lock-on to him. Now try to toggle the lock-on to the archer that's right across you at the top of the stairs. One flick will almost never do it. Sometimes you have to double tap, sometimes you have to tap up instead of left, sometimes you have to disengage lock-on entirely and initiate it again.

def sim

duckroll said:
I don't see it as a "superficial" change that there are elements which completely change the way you might build a character. Or when it comes to considering what sort of equipment are viable for a certain play style. If we're talking about actual difficulty (which was the guy's original question) then sure, there is basically no major change because the game's actual challenge was never from number crunching anyway.

I just feel that with the extensively changes being made, when taken as a whole, it would be selling it short to say that there is no real impact on single player. It definitely does especially for people who will be playing the game again with new characters, or new players just getting into the game now, etc.

Yeah, see, that's it. I'm seeing things with my current character in mind and applying it to the changes. For new characters, taking the original question about difficulty, I'm sure this will be a significantly different game than it was pre-patch. Easier, more accessible, and wider character builds and weapon variety. All this even more so if you already know the game.

With our current builds, it's whatever.

re lock on: I haven't played Demon's Souls but as a dude who plays games, come on guys, it doesn't take much to notice some thing is off with lock on

shiroryu

duckroll said:
I'm playing on the PS3 too and the lock-on in Dark Souls is without a doubt worse than how it worked in Demon's Souls. Just try this out: from the bonfire at the Undead Burg, just step outside and aggro the undead dude from under the stairs. As he is coming up the stairs, lock-on to him. Now try to toggle the lock-on to the archer that's right across you at the top of the stairs. One flick will almost never do it. Sometimes you have to double tap, sometimes you have to tap up instead of left, sometimes you have to disengage lock-on entirely and initiate it again.
It's certainly less smoother than Demons' Souls.

Coming out of the Undead Burg bonfire, I can easily switch between crossbow soldier and the undead dude on the stairs. I think you need to be looking at two enemies in the same area of the screen in DkS; it works best then. Perhaps if you're trying to move between enemies on your left and right, it's a problem, but then as a sorc, my playstyle revolves around baiting and herding attackers.

Of course, I don't want to defend the lock-on; if they're improving it further, great. :)

Eusis

GhostRidah said:
So is this coming to 360 at a later date or not at all?
Non-Japanese copies don't have it yet PERIOD. Don't be surprised if the 360 gets it alongside the Non-Japanese copies.

Top Bottom