• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Lighting changes/Downgrade

Wasn't the PC version supposed to be the base this time though? They could've ported it to the PS3 version and then removed the lighting later cause it caused too much framerate issues in other parts of the game.

That's what I'm thinking/hoping. The PC was identified as the lead development platform initially and I imagine that's why all the original reveals looked so good. Performance issues on the PS360 ports necessitated a downgrade, but it seems they are still there, just turned off based on reports of the boss intro's still having it. I expect From will probably have a graphical setting to turn it on for PC or a modder can add it back.

En-ou

Dark souls 2 console is not much of a looker. Other 360 and ps3 games destroy it in gfx.

The PC version, however, should be stunning should it follow DS1 footsteps. Still amazed how good it looks/plays on PC.

April 25 hurry up!

Gbraga

"God this game runs so crap! I would have been happy if they toned down the graphics for better frame rate."

"OMG this game looks horrible. It used to look better. What's with all these downgrades!?"

Want both? Buy a PC. This goes for the new generation too.

While I absolutely agree with you, it doesn't change the fact that they showed the game running on PS3 with the lighting and then removed it, it's completely different.

If people were just bitching because the game is no graphical marvel for no reason when everyone knew it wouldn't be, then I'd be on your side.

That said, from the little I watched, I do think the game looks pretty good, but I also think the first game looks incredible (at least on PC with DSfix)

That's what I'm thinking/hoping. The PC was identified as the lead development platform initially and I imagine that's why all the original reveals looked so good. Performance issues on the PS360 ports necessitated a downgrade, but it seems they are still there, just turned off based on reports of the boss intro's still having it. I expect From will probably have a graphical setting to turn it on for PC or a modder can add it back.

I hope so. Even if it doesn't I'm not too worried, just the fact that it'll support higher resolutions and framerate without the need to call our hero Durante is reason to celebrate imo.

In the other hand DSfix was honestly better than most good ports when it comes to the options it gives you to customize your game, so even if the port is good it'll most likely be far from being Durante good.

Jigorath

Banned
I guess the consoles couldn't handle the lighting effects, but why did they promote it so much if they were just going to remove it?

UnrealEck

While I absolutely agree with you, it doesn't change the fact that they showed the game running on PS3 with the lighting and then removed it, it's completely different.
Like I said, they obviously decided performance wasn't up to standards and had to make changes before finalising it.

I think both had bad framerate problems.

Before and after the downgrade? That's a shame if it's the case. Obviously the changes weren't significant enough to improve performance to what many would deem acceptable levels. Though as is the case with console games, they have to decide upon a happy medium. How good can we make the game look whilst keeping it at a decent frame rate. I guess they settled on what is apparently still poor performance. I'd hate to see how people would react if they actually did go for more performance and dropped the graphical quality even lower.

Like I said, they obviously decided performance wasn't up to standards and had to make changes before finalising it.

From got enough flak from Blighttown performance that they probably don't want a repeat. It's a tough decision to make, but in the end, I think it's the right one. Just hoping they give players the choice in the PC version.

UnrealEck

From got enough flak from Blighttown performance that they probably don't want a repeat. It's a tough decision to make, but in the end, I think it's the right one. Just hoping they give players the choice in the PC version.

This is what I think has happened too. The guy from Namco even mentioned the Blighttown performance feedback in a video I saw a few days ago.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
"God this game runs so crap! I would have been happy if they toned down the graphics for better frame rate."

"OMG this game looks horrible. It used to look better. What's with all these downgrades!?"

Want both? Buy a PC. This goes for the new generation too.

Pretty much, and we ain't talking about no 700$ pc... if you go pc and want 60 fps, crazy resolution and all on max you're going to have to pony up big time! 700$ just about covers the video card...

JoeFenix

I saw final release footage of the Huntsman Copse area that was featured in the PS3 Beta, it's completely different in terms of lighting.

Whatever mood there was is significantly diminished, you don't need to carry torches because it's now pretty easy to see in previously very dark environments. It's just missing a ton of lighting effects and it really destroys alot of the atmosphere.

That's the main issue, it's not about texture resolution or that kind of stuff, it's about the fact that the lighting is one of the most important aspects in terms of setting the tone and mood of an environment. What was once a moody, dark forest becomes a kind of flat lifeless collection of trees.

What truly sucks is that it's clear that the game was developed with a different lighting scheme in mind, they had it running on PS3 and the framerate was acceptable for a Souls game. It doesn't even sound like the downgrade improved things in that regard but it clearly butchered the look of the game. Certain areas were built with the need to carry torches in mind, doesn't even seem to apply any longer, visual downgrade has gameplay ramifications.

I hope we get to play the game as it was intended at some point atleast, maybe the PC version won't suffer from these unfortunate downgrades.

maybe they want us tu use the torch lightning system, lightning a torch in a room completely changes the lightning from bland and lifeless to yellow bright light and if you die the torch stays on. I made some shots.

without torch
kyfd84k.jpg

with torch
zoO6Nhv.jpg

this torch stays on forever
pR8BcNX.jpg

same here
VEpLxzi.jpg

caKm711.jpg

maybe they want us tu use the torch lightning system, lightning a torch in a room completely changes the lightning from bland and lifeless to yellow bright light and if you die the torch stays on. I made some shots.

without torch
kyfd84k.jpg

with torch
zoO6Nhv.jpg

pR8BcNX.jpg

same here
VEpLxzi.jpg

caKm711.jpg

Graphical glitch confirmed

elhav

without torch
kyfd84k.jpg

with torch
zoO6Nhv.jpg

pR8BcNX.jpg

same here
VEpLxzi.jpg

caKm711.jpg

Lol I guess that shoots a lot of theories out of the window

JoeFenix

This room is supposed to be PITCH BLACK not this gray hallway that you can see in easily. Sure lighting the torch makes it look more pleasant but that's not the way it's supposed to be.

You're supposed to sacrifice your left hand weapon slot for visibility by carrying a torch until you light the fires. Here you could clearly see any enemy that's lurking down there.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This room is supposed to be PITCH BLACK not this gray hallway that you can see in easily. Sure lighting the torch makes it look more pleasant but that's not the way it's supposed to be.

You're supposed to sacrifice your left hand weapon slot for visibility by carrying a torch until you light the fires. Here you could clearly see any enemy that's lurking down there.
Maybe he didn't properly set up the gamma? I wonder how many people do adjust the bar until the "shield is visible but dragon is no longer visible" (or whatever it was)...

Maybe he didn't properly set up the gamma? I wonder how many people do adjust the bar until the "shield is visible but dragon is no longer visible" (or whatever it was)...

This is a good point, that needs to be tested. Still, this doesn't change the differences seen with the Mirror Knight fight, but things wouldn't be as bad if it was just because we were comparing torch/non-torch lit area's.

JoeFenix

No, the difference is on the engine side. Some parts of the lighting engine are just straight up disabled.

And to people saying that graphics don't matter and that gameplay is everything, please, just stop. You're not making any sense.

Would people think as highly of Silent Hill if every area was flat and brightly lit instead of expertly crafted and lit for maximum atmosphere? This shit was ESSENTIAL in making the game what it was.

Sure Dark Souls 2 can get away with it more than something like Silent Hill because the action gameplay can stand on it's own more easily but the experience will still be significantly diminished.

Does sound and music not matter either? Might as well start making that argument while you're at it.

Waiting on pc version before I render judgement.

I think parts of Demon's Souls impressed me more than Dark, there certainly wasn't any blighttown slow downs in Demon's Souls. So long as the game doesn't look worse than DaS then I won't really mind.
I don't think you played the same World 2 as I did

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Art direction > graphics.

As the shots above demonstrate, the new lighting system is part of the gameplay. Really, that's a big reason why so many are concerned. If this isn't a glitch or bug, and isn't patched, it changes the way parts of the game were supposed to play.

Plus the new lighting was part of the art direction.

Paracelsus

As long as there's a PC version, it can be fixed, and unlike godawful GTA4 this isn't a heavyweight game, it can be ENBed and reshaded without crippling videocards.

Well the Mirror Knight comparison in the OP looks pretty damning, but then we have the shots posted on this page by phoeniks314 which shed more light on the matter (nyuk, nyuk!)

I guess we'll find out this week - THIS WEEK guys, I'm gonna pee my pants even if it looks like a Spectrum game. Waaaaaaaah!

More importantly, what's the frame rate on ps3? If it stays a stable 30 with these downgrades, I'll take it happily over Blighttown v2

UnrealEck

didnt DS1 for the PC need mods to look good?

Yes, although the textures were already surprisingly good and scaled well with increases to the resolution of the game. I'm not sure if the textures were redone for PC, I doubt it.

Quite interesting and would make sense as a design element integral to the gameplay and/or the atmosphere.
However what about the lighting in the other areas like the Mirror Knight.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
As the shots above demonstrate, the new lighting system is part of the gameplay. Really, that's a big reason why so many are concerned. If this isn't a glitch or bug, and isn't patched, it changes the way parts of the game were supposed to play.

Plus the new lighting was part of the art direction.

Yeah. This is pretty... ugh. I was wondering why the Beta looked SO MUCH better than the shots From were vomiting out, and now I guess we know.

It seems to completely invert the point of the torch mechanic since you can see more in the dark than the lit by torch version. I dunno what to do now. I was all gungho for the console version as I want to avoid PC trainer cheaters and also not wait a month but... fuck. This is a BIG hit.

A torch, really guys. That was it. We spent a whole day getting upset cause someone forgot to light a torch...

Not quite, the area's without a Torch were supposed to be near pitch black. The lighting system is still significantly downgraded. It makes the torch mechanic useless.

Top Bottom