• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Lighting changes/Downgrade

Art direction > graphics.
Graphics enhance art direction.

A torch, really guys. That was it. We spent a whole day getting upset cause someone forgot to light a torch...
No, all baked lighting and shadows has been greatly downgraded.

OGdHC7hh.png

kY5M6nZh.jpg

Even in the shots with the torches on they cast no shadows in the environment.

S0N0S

Side note, I miss Demon's Souls crystal, light emitting trinket on your belt that explained the light the character emitted in their immediate vicinity, a light that also exists in Dark Souls 1and now 2. That small addition probably meant more to my first impression of Demon's Souls than it should have.

JoeFenix

I think once actual clean footage comes out people will realize how gigantic of a downgrade this is.

The Dragonbone Mansion area first shown in the reveal trailer is now essentially gutted. I mean there's no way someone could think it was an artistic choice.

I dunno, despite everything, I think Majula is the most beautiful place in a Dark Souls game.

Firelink Shrine is awesomely designed for sure, but Majula is more beautiful. I'm just wondering how many secrets there are and perhaps even complete areas there are that we simply don't know about yet? :)

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Does the game run at a solid thirty? If so I completely understand the drop in quality if they were struggling to meet it and made frame rate a priority. The dangers of showing a game off too early I guess.

Ferr986

OGdHC7hh.png

kY5M6nZh.jpg

But the first one is from the PC version.

I mean, Im not saying lighting didnt get downgraded, but that IGN reveal was clearly running on PC

Ostinatto

Does the game run at a solid thirty? If so I completely understand the drop in quality if they were struggling to meet it and made frame rate a priority. The dangers of showing a game off too early I guess.

solid 30 fps? impossible.

i'll be satisfied with 25-30 fps.

But the first one is from the PC version.

I mean, Im not saying lighting didnt get downgraded, but that IGN reveal was clearly running on PC

the video is called "Dark Souls 2 PS3 Gameplay - 5 Things We Learned"

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Think they'll downgrade the PC version for gameplay parity?

This is the conundrum now. The preview and release footage of games has become so untrustworthy now, we won't know unless the PC version leaks somehow or just have to wait post April 24th.

I'm pretty pissed. I'm now caught in a limbo of deciding between versions PURELY because of this lighting issue, with waiting a month+ to possibly be disappointed all over again.

This:
is just too much of a hit to art direction for me to even pretend its acceptable.

Regulus

Neo Member
What's funny is that the dynamic lighting was still present in the network test build, at least from a few light sources. Now it doesn't even look like the braziers you can light with your torch cast shadows.

The Hermit

Pc wins again

Hopefully...

But I think there could be some conspiracy, this is far worse than watch dogs, considering people "played" that demo at the begginig of the year

RyudBoy

I think I'll retract my comment about canceling my 360 preorder. I planned on picking it up cuz I usually game over Live, but I just might get this on PC instead. :(

It looks so ugly, damn.

JoeFenix

What's funny is that the dynamic lighting was still present in the network test build, at least from a few light sources. Now it doesn't even look like the braziers you can light with your torch cast shadows.

It definitely was, my guess is that certain areas weren't playing nicely on consoles in terms of performance and they last minute decided to just jettison the lighting out the airlock.

The Beta ran OK, it wasn't good or anything but it was totally within the limits of what's acceptable for a Souls game. Maybe other areas didn't fare as well?

What sucks is that I don't even know if I should wait for the PC version or not. I'm really not convinced that it will get the original lighting model and it comes out more than a month late.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

OGdHC7hh.png

kY5M6nZh.jpg

Wow, this is really something. From a downgrade perspective way worse that Watchdogs. I don't play DS for the graphics, but From should get some flak for that.

Aces&Eights

Not really the point...

That's a pretty stark downgrade. I guess they baited and switched.

Wtf? Is Ubisoft helping From with their marketing? I love Souls but I'm getting really tired of developers showing us one thing and giving us something completely different. When I applied for my job they slid a piece of paper across the table that had a number on it. It was my salary. On my first check, guess what? It matched perfectly! When I go to the store and milk says "2.99 a gallon" when I ring it up it is 2.99. If it rings up higher the store adjusts the price to match what was advertised. How can this shit not be considered false advertising? Jesus!

LoudCore

Neo Member
2014 and we still want PC like graphics on 7+ year old hardware.

I'm pretty sure there's a good reason why they did knock it down a bit.

Regardless, I expect this to be a pretty fun game.

Yuterald

I was generally on media blackout with this game and had no idea how integrated the lighting was with the gameplay/mechanics. I didn't know a lot of the areas made use of torches and stuff. So, what's essentially going on here is that the lighting initially complimented the torch system and now that it has been manipulated/downgraded, the torch mechanics/ideas are basically pointless? That's pretty bad then if that's the case. I just thought the lighting was there for atmosphere/setting reasons, which for me, would have been disappointing, sure, but not the end of the world like some people were raving about. Now I understand what's going on.

Oh well. Maybe From will fall from grace and go back to being cool again when no one gave a shit about them, lol!

Instro

They'll bring it back for the inevitable current gen up-ports, perhaps they realized thats the better option rather than trying to get the game to run in a stable fashion. A visual downgrade is preferable to dealing with bad fps issues. Conveniently the PC version is over a month out, so there's less blow back from the last gen version not looking so hot.

RK9039

This is what I'm thinking. I never played the beta, but I am under the impression that they had to optimise the game's graphics to improve performance and that's obviously what they've done.

Yup.

I remember the places which were well lit or there was some torches in the area it would start making the game lag a lot. Even when you would carry your own torch around.

Hypron

2014 and we still want PC like graphics on 7+ year old hardware.

I'm pretty sure there's a good reason why they did knock it down a bit.

Regardless, I expect this to be a pretty fun game.

Yeah. I don't think the downgrade seen in this or watch_dogs are intentional bait and switches (as opposed to, say, the Alien Colonial Marines bs demo that was not like the final game at all).

They probably ended up finding that the old lightning model caused severe performance issues in some areas that couldn't be solved before launch. Even if it worked relatively well in some areas on the demo ps3 version, it might have not worked well in other areas.

RyudBoy

Whoa, BestBuy shipped my game on the 6th. Oh well, I don't wanna return it.

Two not so good looking games (this and Titanfall) on the 11th that will provide me with the most replay value. I think it'll suffice.

Robot Pants

Oh damn we got a whole thread on this now.
This game should have been next-gen to begin with, but regardless id really like a next gen version and all these problems could go away.
Sure I could get it on PC, but PS4 would be cooler.

I knew there was something off with the lighting and people still kept downplaying it or denying it or called me things.

Just look at the mirror knight comparison. I feel dumbfounded when I see this.

ibt8n4J6FpZ513.png

The difference is pretty stark.

I hope From made the PC version at least look like the initial build.

Top Bottom