• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 announced (Early 2016, PC/PS4/XB1, Miyazaki Directing)

Looks like we'll have gameplay footage tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/JKartje/status/610516251656388608

Nice

The biggest problem DS2 had was not the director but the messy development the game had. DLC shows the team is capable.

Yes, they accepted the development had some issues in an interview included in the Dark Souls II Design Works book, the interview has been translated already yet people decided to ignore it and just keep praising Miyazaki.

Nice

Yes, they accepted the development had some issues in an interview included in the Dark Souls II Design Works book, the interview has been translated already yet people decided to ignore it and just keep praising Miyazaki.

Is not like DLC is not without problems and has a few of the design quirks that made DkS2 an inferior experience, extra areas like frigid outskirts and another few rooms here and there.

Souls threads havent been fun since the tail end of Dark Souls 1.

Pretty much this. It coincided with the rise of the praise the sun meme and became completely unbearable sometime after the PC version released. The crowd that came along unfortunately was the crowd that DS2 catered to.

I'm not really confident about DS3. I predict it will be even more transparent in targeting this market, e.g., the dialogue of the crones telling you how much you're going to die in the beginning of DS2.

Dark Souls 2's issues go well beyond anything we can attribute directly to the troubled development cycle.

It's not like Miyazaki games don't have flaws too.

Nothing like DS2's.

Is not like DLC is not without problems and has a few of the design quirks that made DkS2 an inferior experience, extra areas like frigid outskirts and another few rooms here and there.

The level design of the DLC is actually pretty similar to Demon's Souls'.

The level design of the DLC is actually pretty similar to Demon's Souls'.

I'd agree that some areas in DkS feels halfbaked or incomplete, instead zones like frigid outkirts were clearly designed that way.

But I'm talking about some design quirks that comes with how DkS2 team tackled the design of the areas, there's still overrealiance on throwing you several enemies at you, for example. Less than in the main game, but still there in several rooms.

The DkS2 DLCs have better level design than a vast majority of the Miyazaki games.

None touch 4-2 and 1-1 in Demon and much less Forbidden woods, which is the best level in a souls game since these 2.

Lost Izalith was also made under the watchful eye of Miyazaki. That has the worst level design of any of the Souls games

Frigid outkirts, would like to have a word with you. At least half of Lost Izalith can be skipped with the right covenant.

People forget that after Anor Londo, Dark Souls is filled with dead ends.

No it isn't. New Londo connects to both Firelink and Valley of Drakes. Lost Izalith has a shortcut back to Demon Ruins that is right next to a shortcut back to Quelaag's Domain. The only end-game dead ends are Tomb of the Giants and Duke's Archives.

Lost Izalith was also made under the watchful eye of Miyazaki. That has the worst level design of any of the Souls games

It's the worst level in the game, but it's not actually much worse than a lot of areas in Dark Souls 2.

The DkS2 DLCs have better level design than a vast majority of the Miyazaki games.

Absolutely not. The only one of the DLC levels that's actually Miyazaki tier is Sunken King.

Imru’ al-Qays;168099174 said:
Absolutely not. The only one of the DLC levels that's actually Miyazaki tier is Sunken King.

And even Sunken King has that infamous section in that you have to brute force your way to find a way to kill invencible enemies.

Imru’ al-Qays;168095894 said:
Dark Souls 2's issues go well beyond anything we can attribute directly to the troubled development cycle.

That's actually not true, Tanimura took the lead of the project in the middle of DSII's development cycle, he openly admitted he had to get rid of some things (I assume the lighting engine was one of them) and tried everything they could to salvage some things (like some of the areas: one of the results of those decision was the infamous elevator to the Iron keep, though). I'd say the problems with hitboxes are also the result of that troubled development too.

Every game of the series has its own issues that don't make them perfect games at all.

They aren't invincible, I killed them with my weapon.

All 3 DLC's are great, some of the best bosses in the series, too.

They aren't invencible, right, just almost invencible in their ghost form. They are inmune to physical damage, so depending of your build you're fucked.

That's actually not true, Tanimura took the lead of the project in the middle of DSII's development cycle, he openly admitted he had to get rid of some things (I assume the lighting engine was one of them) and tried everything they could to salvage some things (like some of the areas: one of the results of those decision was the infamous elevator to the Iron keep, though). I'd say the problems with hitboxes are also the result of that troubled development too.

Every game of the series has its own issues that don't make them perfect games at all.

Troubled development had nothing to do with the floaty movement, artificially long animations, strange durability system, adaptability stat, overreliance on gank squads, repetitive bosses, nor with all the intangible stuff that B-team did so much worse than Miyazaki (atmosphere, plot coherence, secrets).

Plus the Crystal Caverns with that lazy as fuck invisible floor bullshit.

People talk about Lost Izalith and Crystal Caverns as though they constituted the same proportion of Dark Souls's runtime as all the shitty areas in Dark Souls 2. I can't even list all of the areas in DS2 that are obnoxious or uninteresting.

spliced

Every game has had at least 1 crap level.

DeS 3-2,5-2
DaS1 Lost Izalith, Crystal Caves
DaS2 Tseldora
BB Nightmare Frontier

All games have had the garbage level.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They aren't invencible, right, just almost invencible in their ghost form. They are inmune to physical damage, so depending of yout build you're fucked.
Or you immediately understand that you need to destroy the vessels and there you go, problem solved.

DeS 3-2,5-2
DaS2 Tseldora
BB Nightmare Frontier

WTF am I reading

Dresden

They aren't invencible, right, just almost invencible in their ghost form. They are inmune to physical damage, so depending of your build you're fucked.

the thing that makes them invulnerable are broken with one hit or an arrow - and most of them are sequestered in one room, so a single jaunt through it takes care of that for good. I loved that part of the DLC, you were plundering a fucking pyramid.

Neoweee

Frigid outkirts, would like to have a word with you. At least half of Lost Izalith can be skipped with the right covenant.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. Nobody playing the game for the first time, or even repeats without extensive use of a guide, is going to do the Covenant necessary to skip the shitty zone.

Meanwhile, Frigid Outskirts is literally the last, optional area in the last DLC for the game. It's meant to be a giant challenge that few will be able to overcome. It's not blocking any meaningful content, and is there solely for people to use all of the skill, gear, and soul levels they earned in the past 100+ hours of playing.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. Nobody playing the game for the first time, or even repeats without extensive use of a guide, is going to do the Covenant necessary to skip the shitty zone.

Meanwhile, Frigid Outskirts is literally the last, optional area in the last DLC for the game. It's meant to be a giant challenge that few will be able to overcome. It's not blocking any meaningful content, and is there solely for people to use all of the skill, gear, and soul levels they earned in the past 100+ hours of playing.

Why do people feel that the only way to skip Lost Izalith is to open the shortcut? The level is short and you can run past all the enemies.

Nowhere near as long as DS2's shit areas, but they're still shit. I think the general point is pretty much everyone of these games has a shitty area or two.

That elides the distinction between Dark Souls having a shitty area or two and Dark Souls 2 being like half shitty areas.

Imru’ al-Qays;168103642 said:
People talk about Lost Izalith and Crystal Caverns as though they constituted the same proportion of Dark Souls's runtime as all the shitty areas in Dark Souls 2. I can't even list all of the areas in DS2 that are obnoxious or uninteresting.

Nowhere near as long as DS2's shit areas, but they're still shit. Invisible floors in particular is one of the laziest design gimmicks out there, Crystal caverns may be short but it's a lesson on how not to design a level. I think the general point is pretty much everyone of these games have a shitty area or two.

ZangBa

I don't think it gets any worse than Lost Izalith and its boss. At least you never actually have to step foot in Frigid Outskirts.

Neoweee

Imru’ al-Qays;168104874 said:
Why do people feel that the only way to skip Lost Izalith is to open the shortcut? The level is short and you can run past all the enemies.

On your first time through, it is hard to figure out where to go and what to do and what to grab. Doubly so if you suffered through the zone pre-nerf(s).

People often forget how different the Souls games are on their first play-through compared to repeat runs.

Dresden

Anyways stop with the dark 1 vs dark 2 arguments please, this is getting fucking tiresome. There's no end to these discussions and the number on the thread is 3, not 1 or 2.

Vaporak

Souls threads havent been fun since the tail end of Dark Souls 1.

Dark Souls threads are unfortunately shitholes filled with cognitive dissonance and psychotic hero worship. This shit has gotten so bad that ideas in DarkSouls 2 that are directly lifted from the previous two games are decried as terrible decisions that the great Miyazaki-San would never allow in his games...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iron Passage and Frigid Outskirts are terrible if you are solo. Iron Passage is still terrible in coop but Outskirts is pretty fun, especially went you get invaded.

Or you immediately understand that you need to destroy the vessels and there you go, problem solved.

They aren't that easy to find (face several ghost before even finding them, if you take the right path) and not that easy to destroy when u have 5 angry ghost behind you.

Basically you have to run all over the place until you find something that help you kill them, while an army of ghost dudes follow u everywhere. The very definition of souls traditional finely designed gameplay....

Edit: Oh well, this is the last one... hope we get more details tomorrow about 3.

Soriku

Iron Passage and Frigid Outskirts are terrible if you are solo. Iron Passage is still terrible in coop but Outskirts is pretty fun, especially went you get invaded.

Iron Passage is OK solo. In Frigid Outskirts you can at least summon two NPCs, which makes it much easier.

Imru’ al-Qays;168103642 said:
Troubled development had nothing to do with the floaty movement, artificially long animations, strange durability system, adaptability stat, overreliance on gank squads, repetitive bosses, nor with all the intangible stuff that B-team did so much worse than Miyazaki (atmosphere, plot coherence, secrets).

I actually think that at least those are part of a troubled development.

Edit: Yes, let's leave it at that. This is a thread about Dark Souls III, not about the flaws of DS nor DSII's

Anyways stop with the dark 1 vs dark 2 arguments please, this is getting fucking tiresome. There's no end to these discussions and the number on the thread is 3, not 1 or 2.

tumblr_mqqpwwbd4u1scwwtro1_500.gif

Take your time, Lord Miyazaki. Make it siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

DeS 3-2,5-2
DaS2 Tseldora
BB Nightmare Frontier

Patentedly false as Invasions actually took place there.

Those hunched up hooded figures with the shells on their back and the walking sticks kind of remind of Merchant Hag Melentia from DS2 in terms of design.

saGV6T7.png

Top Bottom