• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 announced (Early 2016, PC/PS4/XB1, Miyazaki Directing)

Spruce

Neo Member
Nah, it more like the Dark Souls Crystal.

K1FPY9G.jpg
That's the first thing I thought of as well.

I need more Souls in my life!

I would have been fine with the Dark Souls II directors coming back for III but if Miyazaki wants to enter back into the dark fantasy world that is Dark Souls then I will follow him to my grave(s).

Nyoro SF

Twinking is a non-issue honestly. Soul memory punished the majority for a minor annoyance. Whatever system they come up to deal with it shouldn't effect normal players.

100% agreed. Soul memory by itself was terrible enough to drag down the DS2 experience for me to the point where I couldn't even bring myself to do a replay.

Wensih

Mixed feelings. On one hand I think that Dark Souls is the greatest game of all time, on the other.... I just don't feel anything towards another sequel sequel when we just had a another 'spiritual successor' crammed into next year.

Looks amazing. Sad that this is stated to be the last game, but glad the series is going out while it's still on top.

Was hoping people would stop writing the entire game off now that O Mighty Miyazaki is confirmed to be directing, but I see there are already conspiracy theorists claiming we're all being lied to. Because there's NO WAY even the great Miyazaki could possibly oversee two projects at once.

RexNovis

Banned
They always reveal with a CG trailer. I think we are getting gameplay tomorrow anyway, cool your jets

They always reveal with cg and gameplay tomo.
Talk about over dramatic, Christ dude.

Relax, gameplay is tomorrow.

Apparently gameplay will be shown tomorrow.

Well there's gameplay due to be shown off soon I think, so won't take long to find out what state it's in currently!

Fair enough I'll reserve judgement until I see the gameplay tomorrow but still I am extremely skeptical given the short development turnaround.

Glad to see someone got the reference :D

Wensih

Looks amazing. Sad that this is stated to be the last game, but glad the series is going out while it's still on top.

Was hoping people would stop writing the entire game off now that O Mighty Miyazaki is confirmed to be directing, but I see there are already conspiracy theorists claiming we're all being lied to. Because there's NO WAY even the great Miyazaki could possibly oversee two projects at once.

If it's truly the last game of the series, then I'd be extremely interested. My fear is that they're trying to ride the wave as far as it will take them.

Persona7

Banned
For those saying Miyazaki was too busy on bloodborne, this seems like a good setup actually.

Miyazaki:
Yeah, I’m getting by. I learned a lot from developing Dark Souls, so I have another person at the director level supporting me on this project, and I’m finding a way to make things work.

Since this interview is about Bloodborne, I’d rather not talk too much about my role as president of From Software, but simply put, one of my conditions for taking on the role of president was that I would be able to remain involved in the day-to-day game development.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840059

Definitely taking stuff from Dark Souls 2 as that was a Giant King that arose from the tomb. Will be interesting to see how they go out with dark souls and what they do next.

I'm a hardcore Halo fan, and this is what got me most hyped from the Microsoft Press Conference.

To celebrate my hype, I uploaded this fan-made soundtrack/tribute music inspired by the music from the credits in DS1 and 2.

I just happened to have finished that track a couple days ago, then this announcement happened today. Can't wait to see some gameplay!

III-V

Sounds like there is some trilogy aspect here, and with the embers/flames imagery I would not doubt that this final game finds some way to tie the trilogy together, possibly with greater expositions.

(Pic from some lovely Gaffer who took a lovely shot of Anor Londo)

Compare this shot to the one in the trailer, other than it being mirrored in the trailer (possibly viewed from the other side) it matches almost perfectly.

(Link to original post because I'm not a dick: HERE

I thought the same thing.

III-V

(Pic from some lovely Gaffer who took a lovely shot of Anor Londo)

Compare this shot to the one in the trailer, other than it being mirrored in the trailer (possibly viewed from the other side) it matches almost perfectly.

(Link to original post because I'm not a dick: HERE

I do not think there is a stretch. This makes sense.

A lot of people drawing comparisions to Anor Londo, makes me wonder if the giant kingly figure at the end could be the main character at the end of DS1 if he/she
sacrifices themselves and re-ignites the first flame.

Fucker clearly has fire running through his veins!

Neoweee

Lore questions raised by the trailer.

1) Is that supposed to the be the Giant Lord / Last Giant, or a different giant?

2) The world seems so burnt and barren. Is it a world that has completely fallen to the undead curse /dark/whatever, or one that has been burned to hell by a resurgent Old Chaos? Only Ember remains? Also, the Giant is looking quite a bit like the Burnt Ivory King, so...

3) Human with a crown. So follow-up to Dark Souls 2 DLC, and maybe the only humans that remain are those that have the crowns?

I wouldn't think too much about "It looks like Anor Londo". That's just the sweep, Souls-y architecture. Loyce, Heide's, and the Dragon Aerie all looked Londo-ish. I think it is just trying to evoke the same feeling, but is a new city/castle.

Trakan

If the area looks like Anor Londo, and The Giant Lord seems to be alive, maybe this is the bridge between 1 and 2.

I'd be down for that.

I don't know what game you played but my Dark Souls 2 was amazing and my Bloodborne was even better. But if you want to look for reasons to stress yourself out and imagine scenarios in which you're some kind of victim of a video game studio's evil machinations... then by all means.

Insanity, vodka chugging, hyperbole and whatever else aside, I simply found Dark Souls 2 extremely disappointing compared to the first one and it's making me jump the gun on this one. To translate my above post into more sane terms, I hope this one turns out as fantastic as Bloodborne was, I would love to see more games of its caliber. I still believe Bamco's marketing was scummy and I hope the same doesn't happen with part 3, sorry.

So reading other forums (Fextralife DS3 board to be precise) and such this was brought to my attention:
https://youtu.be/Fqf3EZQwkLE?t=42

You might recognize the place in that shot. It was full of these lovely archers with giant arrows.

The problem is Dark Souls 2 literally erased everything about Dark Souls 1 and put their own world, The same design was shown in the leaked screenshots weeks ago as a background with the "thumps up" guy, I thought you noticed it

DS3-Early-2016-Leak-600x337.jpg

It could be Heides Tower too and the sea already dry.

dark_souls_2_heides_tower.jpg

Lore questions raised by the trailer.

1) Is that supposed to the be the Giant Lord / Last Giant, or a different giant?

2) The world seems so burnt and barren. Is it a world that has completely fallen to the undead curse /dark/whatever, or one that has been burned to hell by a resurgent Old Chaos? Only Ember remains? Also, the Giant is looking quite a bit like the Burnt Ivory King, so...

3) Human with a crown. So follow-up to Dark Souls 2 DLC, and maybe the only humans that remain are those that have the crowns?

I wouldn't think too much about "It looks like Anor Londo". That's just the sweep, Souls-y architecture. Loyce, Heide's, and the Dragon Aerie all looked Londo-ish. I think it is just trying to evoke the same feeling, but is a new city/castle.

1.- It would be a giant or a golem or a different kind of boss, FROM is well kown to oversize characters to make them look important for example Vendrik is supposed to be human but is a giant in game

2.- Looking at the trailer it looks like the fire is dying again or is already extinguished so only "ashes remain" welcoming the Dark Age so Dark Souls 3 would be placed in that setting and see how the world is reacting in that regard.

3- No, it means the owner have great power in his/her soul, the giant king and one of the manus fragments had a crown too.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably gonna get lost to the ether, but I'd like to try and help some of you out.

7 points to help you prepare yourself for Dark Souls 3:

1. Try to appreciate/accept CG trailers. Pre-rendered CG is still an artform that provides jobs for many people in the industry. It doesn't make the reveal any less special, or their hard work any less relevant when you throw a tantrum about wanting to see gameplay.

2. Try to actually look at what you're seeing instead of just knee-jerking and making crazy connections. (P.S. that isn't the Giant Lord / Last Giant at the end of the trailer.)

3. If you're going to make crazy connections, don't write off the game just because you guessed something that somehow means all the stuff you hated about another game is back to spite you.

4. Don't make connections with leaked material. You don't know how old or incorrect any unofficial stuff is, so don't project from it.

5. Don't assume that you know the inner workings of the company and who exactly is making the game.

6. Don't assume that you're going to see gameplay, etc. just because Joe Blogs says you will. It's common for people in the media to get access to some stuff before the general public, but it's also common for them to misinterpret things and warp expectations.

7. Try to soak in the atmosphere and direction of what you've been shown. These games and the way they're presented have always been about sending a subtle message without spelling everything out and throwing answers at you. Let that be enough for now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This is probably gonna get lost to the ether, but I'd like to try and help some of you out.

7 points to help you prepare yourself for Dark Souls 3:

1. Try to appreciate/accept CG trailers. Pre-rendered CG is still an artform that provides jobs for many people in the industry. It doesn't make the reveal any less special, or their hard work any less relevant when you throw a tantrum about wanting to see gameplay.

2. Try to actually look at what you're seeing instead of just knee-jerking and making crazy connections. (P.S. that isn't the Giant Lord / Last Giant at the end of the trailer.)

3. If you're going to make crazy connections, don't write off the game just because you guessed something that somehow means all the stuff you hated about another game is back to spite you.

4. Don't make connections with leaked material. You don't know how old or incorrect any unofficial stuff is, so don't project from it.

5. Don't assume that you know the inner workings of the company and who exactly is making the game.

6. Don't assume that you're going to see gameplay, etc. just because Joe Blogs says you will. It's common for people in the media to get access to some stuff before the general public, but it's also common for them to misinterpret things and warp expectations.

7. Try to soak in the atmosphere and direction of what you've been shown. These games and the way they're presented have always been about sending a subtle message without spelling everything out and throwing answers at you. Let that be enough for now.
Couldn't agree more with the bolded. The whole jumping to premature conclusions shenanigans is so tiring.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's *a* Giant Lord. Doesn't have to be the same one, but it's clearly a DS2 style giant, faceless and all :p

Also what if the first flame was made from wood from dead giant-trees?!?!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If the area looks like Anor Londo, and The Giant Lord seems to be alive, maybe this is the bridge between 1 and 2.

I'd be down for that.

I believe Heide's Tower and Anor Londo are suppose to be part of the same city but dont quote me on that.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
They are demoing the game tomorrow, but it could very well all be behind closed doors.

As for the impressions, Namco flew out a bunch of the hardcore Souls YouTubers and streamers. (Lobos, TerraMantis, Vaati, Oroboro, DreadedCone, Peeve, from what I'm aware.) I would recommend waiting for their impressions over the general media's. They demo is also going to be presented by Miyazaki himself, which is cool. (https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/39znsz/miyazaki_will_be_demoing_dark_souls_3_for_us/)

Yes, I believe the demo will be behind closed doors (as usual).
That's nice to know that the community idols are getting treated well. Hopefully they'll provide some useful impressions, as you say.

Couldn't agree more with the bolded. The whole jumping to premature conclusions shenanigans is so tiring.

Thanks. I see you fighting the good fight a lot in the Souls threads and I figured sometimes it's worth stepping in.

It's *a* Giant Lord. Doesn't have to be the same one, but it's clearly a DS2 style giant, faceless and all :p

Also what if the first flame was made from wood from dead giant-trees?!?!

Hmm... It seems to be a giant-sized humanoid wearing a crown. If that equates to "a giant lord" to you, then I can argue no more :) We don't know that it's "faceless", though.

Bonfires in Dark Souls are supposedly made from bones of the undead. Dunno if that helps your theorising, but I don't know where you got that initial idea from.

Miyazaki putting in work! As I recall, Dark Souls II wasn't directed by him as he was working on Bloodborne right? Still, can't imagine this won't start reaching franchise fatigue.

Shengar

I want to make this an own thread, but really I'm too lazy and E3 traffic still high so it might be ignored anyway.

It's good to see Miyazaki back directing a game series that started by him. But from the trailer, from the single line that first appeared, my guts telling that he going to end Dark Souls as a series for good. The first is about the Age of Fire come to an end, but it doesn't mean going to an end, more like that new age is coming. Meanwhile, "Only ember remains" highly implied that everything is going to an end. Now, I don't think FromSoft will stop producing Souls games since one of their MO is to exploit popular (niche, in the past) IP as much as possible. It is just that maybe Miyazaki want other people, like Yui Tanimura, to do Souls games without being weighted down by his reputation and legacy. We've seen that much of Dark Souls II problem is that Tanimura too highly respecting Miyazaki's work that it makes him confused on what to do with the game.

Personally I'm fine with that really. While I'm highly disappointed by DkSII, I could see some merit in it gameplay wise. I could see other people loving it but I also can understand why some hated because it's not a Miyazaki game either. Releasing the Souls games, especially Souls titled instalment from the shackles of Miyazaki's reputation (and reputation) will be a good situation for as all. Miyazaki perhaps could finally make the children he want to make (lol) and other people from FromSoft could try to take on the Souls games formula without being belittled or endlessly compared to him.

I really wished that we wouldn't see Dark Souls 4. But rather, a new IP that inherit the blood and souls of the series.

Houndi101

I want to make this an own thread, but really I'm too lazy and E3 traffic still high so it might be ignored anyway.

It's good to see Miyazaki back directing a game series that started by him. But from the trailer, from the single line that first appeared, my guts telling that he going to end Dark Souls as a series for good. The first is about the Age of Fire come to an end, but it doesn't mean going to an end, more like that new age is coming. Meanwhile, "Only ember remains" highly implied that everything is going to an end. Now, I don't think FromSoft will stop producing Souls games since one of their MO is to exploit popular (niche, in the past) IP as much as possible. It is just that maybe Miyazaki want other people, like Yui Tanimura, to do Souls games without being weighted down by his reputation and legacy. We've seen that much of Dark Souls II problem is that Tanimura too highly respecting Miyazaki's work that it makes him confused on what to do with the game.

Personally I'm fine with that really. While I'm highly disappointed by DkSII, I could see some merit in it gameplay wise. I could see other people loving it but I also can understand why some hated because it's not a Miyazaki game either. Releasing the Souls games, especially Souls titled instalment from the shackles of Miyazaki's reputation (and reputation) will be a good situation for as all. Miyazaki perhaps could finally make the children he want to make (lol) and other people from FromSoft could try to take on the Souls games formula without being belittled or endlessly compared to him.

I really wished that we wouldn't see Dark Souls 4. But rather, a new IP that inherit the blood and souls of the series.

You're in luck, it's been "confirmed" as the final game of Dark Souls series.

Top Bottom