• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 announced (Early 2016, PC/PS4/XB1, Miyazaki Directing)

KarmaCow

Yea in the vast majority of my deaths in the Souls games, I had plenty of Estus flasks and healing items. It's very rare that I would ever die because I was worried about wasting a healing item. Death by a large attack rather than by a thousand cuts.

Hopefully they just throw 2's story out the window and pretend it never existed.
Give us the real sequel to DS1.

Nah, I think DS2's story does a good job illustrating how the curse seems to cause a perpetual and inescapable cycle through massive expanses of time that cause inevitable ruin. It's sort of self contained and I hope they do more to reference the first game and tie up loose ends from that but just throwing out DS2's contributions to lore is the worst thing they could do.

Dresden

The hero acquires a great sword, which has a feature called Lunge. This allows players to forcefully attack an enemy. He challenges a knight using lunge, but the knight kills him. Knights are tough enemy types. He challenges the knight again. The lunge sends the knight flying into the air, and he dies.

Using the dual sword now we see a new feature, Spin. The hero uses it in an open courtyard and it can strike multiple enemies at the same time.

dem sword arts

With whom, I wonder?

I hope it's Tanimura, just to piss the ds2 hater crowd off.

I hope it's him and the dark Souls 2 team cause they did amazing work with mechanics and when they had the proper time churned out some the best Souls experience with the DLC. dark Souls 2 team with Miyazaki would be fantastic.

The story is the LAST thing I'm concerned about tbh - but....

I remember ENB saying he had a thought from the first leaks it might be connected to DS1 and the stuff about so and so many new bosses "(not including returning bosses)" or whatever the blurb said may also kind of confirm that suspicion since the boss count seemed kind of low.

A true sequel to DS1 to close out the series would be so sexy. Like the real DS2 as in DS1-2, I love that.

Hold up...Story revolves around the Lord of Cinder....Can offer flames to graves...

Calling it now
we're playing as our character from Ds1 who lit the flame

Looks like we have our first preview:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/06/16/e3-2015-worlds-first-dark-souls-iii-details-revealed/154333/

No spoilers in it from what I can tell besides the description of a boss fight and a mention of "Lord of Cinder" which could mean anything (but probably means Gwyn).

Interesting...
Controls look very similar to Bloodborne. Being attacked by zombie dogs, the fast controls from Bloodborne allow him to move quickly and kill the fast-moving dogs. Short bows allow the character to move around really fast and fire shots after rolling, but don’t do a lot of damage. Using the dual sword now we see a new feature, Spin. The hero uses it in an open courtyard and it can strike multiple enemies at the same time.

Ferr986

Hold up...Story revolves around the Lord of Cinder....Can offer flames to graves...

Calling it now

And the final boss is
Dark 2 character, the one who started the Age of Dark, with Aldia.

Mandelbo

Calling it now

You just reminded me that one of the things I wanted from DS2 was a cameo from your character from the first game - wouldn't it have been cool to face off against your old character as the final boss?

vilmer_

I remember reading an interview where he said he had another guy helping him direct Bloodborne.

4Gamer:
Oh, that sure is a relief! But are you able to keep up your presidential duties at the same time?

Miyazaki:
Yeah, I’m getting by. I learned a lot from developing Dark Souls, so I have another person at the director level supporting me on this project, and I’m finding a way to make things work.

In the end though, these are still HIS games/babies. The core vision is always his.

spliced

I love the sound of more tactical options and that areas are connected like Bloodborne. Comparing the combat to BB seems good but I can't trust someone else being a good judge of that, I need to see and more importantly feel it before I can be too confident.

Jombie

Controls look very similar to Bloodborne. Being attacked by zombie dogs, the fast controls from Bloodborne allow him to move quickly and kill the fast-moving dogs. Short bows allow the character to move around really fast and fire shots after rolling, but don’t do a lot of damage. Using the dual sword now we see a new feature, Spin. The hero uses it in an open courtyard and it can strike multiple enemies at the same time.

That sounds awesome. The Souls formula needed some mechanics like that.

Aikidoka

Interesting preview but I wish they would have provided more details into how the mechanics actually work instead of trying to make it sound like a story or something.

NEO0MJ

Someone should make a new thread about the revelation that Miyazaki is co-director.

You just reminded me that one of the things I wanted from DS2 was a cameo from your character from the first game - wouldn't it have been cool to face off against your old character as the final boss?

How would they design him/her, though?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Preposterous.
*grins*

I like what I'm reading. A lot.

I want to see footage now! Just enough before I go on media blackout like I did with Souls 2.

Yeah I dunno. I always have tons of characters going on myself. If they could load your save and pick a random build (would only work with SotFS of course) and somehow place this character as an AI NPC/boss, sorta Old Monk style, it'd be awesome. But I'm not sure how feasible that would be.

Calling it now

Or being the main boss against the new chosen undead, it would be a interesting twist.

Oh cool, the bosses have phases now to fight back

KarmaCow

A charred monster disfigured and transformed by the flame to get around the multiple ways a person could make their character and being relatively simple compared to the other bosses. More than Gwyn but less of a transformation than Manus.

Soriku

Speedy combat, good. Now confirm we can side step/back step like in Bloodborne.

Just keep his/her face shrouded. Like when you start Dark Souls 2, you have a cloak on and can't see your face, and you have no idea if the character you're playing is a male or female until you reach the hut and create your character.

Shengar

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHpdfiKUwAA0c4U.jpg:large[IMG]

Any doubts can now be forever silenced[/QUOTE]
The man, the myth, the legend.
[quote="Havel, post: 168448043"]So according to VanOrd, Miyazaki is co-directing and joined the project in the prototype stages.[/QUOTE]

I would be fine if Miyazaki handled the lore and story aspect of the game with the other director handled combat and PVP.

I don't want full on bloodborne combat. Make it an option for certain weapons but balance it so there is still the slower more deliberate combat as well.

Loving the idea of different movement speeds depending on which weapon you're using. I wonder how the sword arts are activated, since the Souls controller is pretty much full.

trOOly

Neo Member
Ugh! Why couldn't this have been a stage demo at Microsoft's presser!?

According to the Hardcore Gamer article, they've shown an alpha. Most previews/demos we've seen on stage at E3 were either CGI or beta versions of the games. The one they had might look far from the finished product. Smart move by FROM.

Adaren

I like the explicit mention of "post-apocalyptic". That is one of my favorite aspects of the series.

I never quite knew why I couldn't get into Fallout 3 until I played Dark Souls. Then I realized that Dark Souls was the post-apocalyptic experience that I had been craving all along.

I always related post apocaliptic settings being nuclear or being infested by hell, In dark souls is more like darkness and silence.

Ryan7556

Neo Member
Peeve: "Heading to the closed demo now. About to see Dark Souls 3 in about 30min...and not to mention Miyazaki :O"

Looks like he was playing Bloodborne to pass the time?

I like the explicit mention of "post-apocalyptic". That is one of my favorite aspects of the series.

I never quite knew why I couldn't get into Fallout 3 until I played Dark Souls. Then I realized that Dark Souls was the post-apocalyptic experience that I had been craving all along.

Huh... had never thought of DS as a post-apocalyptic game before, but I guess it fits the bill!

Shredderi

I liked what I read in that preview. The story beats could be interesting if it somehow incorporates the chosen undead of DS1 and the lord of cinder to make the game come to some kind of full circle.

Auctopus

Dark Souls is known for its formidable difficulty and unique online system. They will evolve and improve upon these already existing elements.

Yes! IMPROVING and EVOLVING the difficulty of gameplay. So glad to not hear all the "this is gonna be the hardest and last game in the series"

NEO0MJ

A charred monster disfigured and transformed by the flame to get around the multiple ways a person could make their character and being relatively simple compared to the other bosses. More than Gwyn but less of a transformation than Manus.

Just keep his/her face shrouded. Like when you start Dark Souls 2, you have a cloak on and can't see your face, and you have no idea if the character you're playing is a male or female until you reach the hut and create your character.

I like these two idea,even if like Morrigan Stark said it won't feel as personal if the design doesn't reflect our past character.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Good to hear. Had more than enough age of fire. Bring on the darklord. Hate how the dlc/ds2 cannonised dark being evil. #teamkaathe :p

I liked what I read in that preview. The story beats could be interesting if it somehow incorporates the chosen undead of DS1 and the lord of cinder to make the game come to some kind of full circle.

Full Circle indeed

tumblr_inline_mnndnbJmF01qz4rgp.gif

Cant wait to hear the Souls streamer's impressions on the game. Especially Frosty.

Mandelbo

Someone should make a new thread about the revelation that Miyazaki is co-director.

I imagined that the game would scan for DS1 save data, then take the character that last completed the game or something. If no save data existed, they'd just use the elite knight set.

NEO0MJ

I imagined that the game would scan for DS1 save data, then take the character that last completed the game or something. If no save data existed, they'd just use the elite knight set.

I doubt it can do that. At best it can look for DS II: SOTFS data. Scanning for trophies won't help as it won't reveal what character you built.

eot

Banned
That sounds awesome. The Souls formula needed some mechanics like that.

As fun as BB is I prefer the combat in Dark Souls. I hope a faster dodge doesn't mean they make it as forgiving as BB with its insane iframes and (almost) no stamina cost. Anyway, level design, boss design, enemy design, music and all that is more important to me than minor mechanical tweaks to a game that already plays extremely well.

I for one don't see them going full Bloodborne with movement in this game but rather see that as an option for lightly armored or shield-less builds. I bet that you'll still be able to deck yourself in Havel's armor with a shield and greatsword and fat-roll to your heart's content ;p

Top Bottom