• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls GFWL to Steamworks Migration is now live.

Head.spawn

Quick question, but what if I don't have the game installed at the moment and I don't care about my game save or achievements... Do I need to be doing anything? or will the Steam version simply download the proper version when I install it down the line?

denx

Copy-pasting my save files did the trick, but I didn't unlock any achievements and I can't seem to be able to unlock any achievements whatsoever in the beta version, not even for things as simple as using a bonfire. Anyone else having trouble with achievements?

d00d3n

Hmmm....I didn't have to do all the steps at all. I just booted up the game and logged into my GFWL account and the game started to give me all the Steam achievements that I have unlocked.

If I remember correctly, the achievements were given to me just by logging into Steam _before_ starting the game the first time (before "step 1" from the guide). WTF? Did I have the debug version as well? Sorry to say that I followed the steps in the guide after that and installed the beta patch, though ... One weird thing was that "step 6" and "step 7" were unnecessary for me. When I started the game the second time (after installing the patch), it was no longer possible to start gfw and it was possible to continue with the save file without any "conversion process" or similar.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yep. Sen's Fortress on a character. There is NO WAY I'm playing this at 30FPS. Not a damn chance.

Unai

Quick question, but what if I don't have the game installed at the moment and I don't care about my game save or achievements... Do I need to be doing anything? or will the Steam version simply download the proper version when I install it down the line?

Just sign in for the beta, I think.

The_Monk

I was having a crash right as I clicked "Play" so I removed the dsfix folder that is in your Steam game directory and also removed a file called "DINPUT8.dll".

After that, I could enter the game. The Games For Windows Live logged in with no issues at all and I unlocked all my GFWL achievements. I'm still running GFWL apparently but at least I got the game running and I also got my older achievements and my two game saves are intact.

Well got the game to run atleast. Had to give up on my save though. Tried a load different settings but it always hanged on load. But starting from scratch worked. Went with a knight this time.

Ridley327

The achievements automatically unlocked for me while launching it, but I can't seem to get the beta opt-in to work so that I can get the save data transferred over to 2.0. Anyone have any suggestions?

Omega

Banned
so if I'm reading this right I can just opt into the beta if I don't care about bringing over my GFWL info right?

I only made it past the first boss so it's not like I'm missing much.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The achievements automatically unlocked for me while launching it, but I can't seem to get the beta opt-in to work so that I can get the save data transferred over to 2.0. Anyone have any suggestions?

Should be automatic. So long as you logged in with the profile you wanted, should pull in the required save files. There was nothing to opt into other than selecting the beta.

gelf

:-\

Disappointing. Though, I see some in this thread are reporting that 30FPS now feels/plays better than before.

I had quick run with it now and I do think it feels better, I've previously the finished the game at different times at both 30fps and 60fps and as it feels now I'm happy with it. There definitely seems less stutter then I ever got on either setting, maybe that was to do with GFWL.

I'm not someone who really cares too much about 60fps outside of fighting games though.

Ridley327

Should be automatic. So long as you logged in with the profile you wanted, should pull in the required save files. There was nothing to opt into other than selecting the beta.

Actually, I just needed to reboot Steam for it to show up, so it's all good now.

PRAISE THE GABEN SUN

CHC

:-

Disappointing. Though, I see some in this thread are reporting that 30FPS now feels/plays better than before.

I posted in the older thread, it ABSOLUTELY feels better. Somehow GFWL was behind the scenes fucking up the sync rate / buffer / whatever and making 30 feel really unbearable and chuggy. The "new" 30 FPS is quite tolerable, I wouldn't suspect much if I wasn't running FRAPS.

Obviously 60 is still better but if you want a totally bug-free experience the default 30 is quite smooth now.

Unai

Maybe the frame pacing was not right before and now it is? It's the only thing I can't think that would make the new 30 FPS seem better than the old one.

Parsnip

Unless my memory fails me, didn't the Batman games get a nice performance boost when they patched g4wl out as well? I don't know if anyone measured frametimes for it though.

Depends when you install.
If you install right now or any time between now and the February date, you can opt in to the beta branch and then install.
If you install after the February date, the default branch will be the only thing you need to install.

I was having a crash right as I clicked "Play" so I removed the dsfix folder that is in your Steam game directory and also removed a file called "DINPUT8.dll".

After that, I could enter the game. The Games For Windows Live logged in with no issues at all and I unlocked all my GFWL achievements. I'm still running GFWL apparently but at least I got the game running and I also got my older achievements and my two game saves are intact.
Next you need to opt in to the beta branch and say goodbye to g4wl for good.

CHC

Maybe the frame pacing was not right before and now it is? It's the only thing I can't think that would make the new 30 FPS seem better than the old one.

It's most certainly that. The "old" 30 felt like it was unevenly divided among the refresh rate so that every other or every third frame was longer than it's neighboring frames. Right now it just feels... Normal. Not "fast" like 60 but what you're used to for the classic Souls feel.

xBladeM6x

DON'T do anything else!

Please, backup your DARKSOULS.EXE file right now!

I think you got the Debug version which they accidentally leaked, and myself and other posters TOTALLY want that.

It allows you free character control to fly through the world, lets you control enemies and a whole bunch of other cool stuff.

PLEASE back that up and post it here to test!

In game, try pressing the back button on your 360 controller and see if a weird menu comes up.
Well damn. I got that as well, but then updated to the new 2.0 exe. D:

You haven't finished the process man.

opt in the 2.0 beta and that will remove GWFL for good due to being the pure steamworks version.

CHC

Must say clicking "uninstall" on GFWL and finally closing the casket once and for all. Here's hoping MS doesn't try to get the shovel and dig 'er back up.

Perona

Weird, now I'm getting "xlive protect disabler" errors after switching to the patched version and it's saying that it can't find xlive.dll

What if i already bought the game like 2 years ago but haven't even installed it once and I'm planning to download it after February 16th?

It will download the Steam version or do I need to change to the beta branch?

Murkrow

Banned
Let's burn down Games for Windows Live once and for all!

Muahahahahahahahaahahahaah!!!!!

3dzosc.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DON'T do anything else!

I think you got the Debug version which they accidentally leaked, and myself and other posters TOTALLY want that.

It allows you free character control to fly through the world, lets you control enemies and a whole bunch of other cool stuff.

In game, try pressing the back button on your 360 controller and see if a weird menu comes up.

If I had known this a few hours ago, I would've gave you it. But I patched to the beta branch after the Migration move. I didn't even check to see if there was a debug in the GfWL migration branch I literally just used it for the auto-achievements. :(

Spacejaws

Must say clicking "uninstall" on GFWL and finally closing the casket once and for all. Here's hoping MS doesn't try to get the shovel and dig 'er back up.

They still have a hold of a good number of games, Bulletstorm, GTAIV and Lost Planet series :(

GFWL battle is not done yet. Although surpised to see Resi 5 is listed as 'former' maybe I'll boot it up.

Parsnip

So it sounds like regional matchmaking is in effect, or something like that. Hopefully it's a configuration mistake. It's probably not a huge problem for some regions, but I don't imagine that Finland has a ton of Souls players around.

MUnited83

For you.
So it sounds like regional matchmaking is in effect, or something like that. Hopefully it's a configuration mistake. It's probably not a huge problem for some regions, but I don't imagine that Finland has a ton of Souls players around.
Finland would play on Europe servers though.

CHC

They still have a hold of a good number of games, Bulletstorm, GTAIV and Lost Planet series :(

GFWL battle is not done yet. Although surpised to see Resi 5 is listed as 'former' maybe I'll boot it up.

Eh shame about Bulletstorm. The others I can leave on the table but that is a bit of shame.

Zimbardo

the connection rate seems a lot better so far than it was with GFWL.

beforehand, when trying to summon someone, i'd get a ton of 'summon failed' attempts ...now, after playing for a couple hours, i'm 4 for 4 summons ...with 1 invasion. no failed connections.

that's a beautiful thing if the connection issues are completely fixed ...as that was the worst thing about the PC port, imo ....considerably worse than the fucked up internal default resolution.

DON'T do anything else!

same thing happened for me when i loaded into the game, but I don't have any option for a weird menu when I press the back button.

The game's not working at all for me after the update and beta change

Tried booting the game with DSFix still installed and the game crashed when booted up. Then I tried to remove the DSFix files but it still wouldn't work. Then I tried booting the game after opting out of the beta. Still wouldn't work. So I tried restarting the PC, unistalling and reinstalling the GFWL client and nothing is changing. I'm concluding it has to do with GFWL not booting with the game anymore.

Top Bottom