• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls GFWL to Steamworks Migration is now live.

mag.py

Neo Member
I built DSFix with the new addresses posted by boowoo90 and it seems to work.

For anyone who wants to try it, you can download it here. Just replace the dll you have in the game directory. If you don't trust my build, the modified source is here. You have to install a few prerequisites as specified in the readme.

Edit:

Ok well I beat durante by like 10 seconds but get his version instead now.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Can I do some shenanigans and copy the GFWL code to give people a free copy of Dark Souls the same way you could get free copies of SSF4:AE during the GFWL -> Steamworks transfer?

Edit: I like how you have everything ready to go just as my update finishes downloading, thanks for your awesome work Durante

Parsnip

Finland would play on Europe servers though.

I don't know how the servers are distributed. Is that public knowledge or are you assuming that Europe is considered a single region? Some people on Steam forums were saying that they could only see summon signs from their own country.

Before I formatted my old HDD+ windows 7 to move to an SSD+ Windows 8.1 I made two different back ups of my dark souls save, turns out, I didn't need them.

Downloaded the game after hearing about the update, game crashes on start up because the GFWL that came with it won't install (what a surprise). Downloaded and installed the GFWL client found in this steam post. After trying to remember what old and obsolete Microsoft email I used to sign up for their equally obsolete service I finally got it. I start up the game, update GFWL again and suddenly see 22 achievements unlock and my saves transferred as well. All in all, not as bad as I was expecting other than manually downloading and installing GFWL.

I did all this without DSfix and I think I'll wait on completing my Faith build playthrough until an 60fps hack is up again.

giphy.gif

CHC

Regarding the new DSFix - jump length and potential ladder issues remain right? No big deal just wondering.

Thanks Durante and boowoo90 by the way!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's just incredible how fast it is to get into the game now that you don't have to wait for GFWL to log in. Huge difference. I hope the player count increases, it was about as dead as I remember. I didn't see a single message until I took a short trip from Firelink to Undead Burg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nearly 6k people playing and it has been rising steadily...
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Yeah I just read some stuff regarding online and it seems it takes a while for the game to get the connections to other players going because it doesn't have a dedicated matchmaking server like the sequel. Guess I'm just spoiled ;P. Totally forgot that it does that. Even more players than DS2 right now. Nice!

Edit: So I just read this

"The region lock is enabled by default in multiplayer/co-op Steamworks games that use matchmaking. It also happened to Red Faction Guerrilla when it was migrated to Steamworks and the developers weren't even aware of it until they were told about it. They disabled it pretty much right after they found out though. Hopefully From Software does the same for this game, however right now they likely aren't even aware of it due to it being enabled by default and well hidden. It really needs changing so that all games have it disabled by default."

Fuck it, just deleted all the game files and going to download the entire game again. This time no DSFix related files should be in the folder this time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If you have all of the achievements on GFWL, and you transfer over, does everything just...unlock automatically?

Yes, if you have the GfWL NON-BETA (and BTW if you DO have this, give Alo a back-up of the .exe if it's a debug. Press back/select on your controller of choice to see if you do have this) branch it'll automatically grab all the achievements you unlocked and unlock them. If you platinum/1000g'd the game before, it'll make "the Dark Soul" unlock last (despite being the first "seen" to unlock).

Same with saves.

Then (IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE DEBUG MODE/back-uped for Alo) you can patch to the Beta branch which is full-on Steamworks.

Top Bottom