• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Bioshock 2 is a great game with a great soundtrack. It's better than the first in most ways. Check it out if you can.

It's so similar to DkS2. Weaker story and lore than original game and made by a different team. But the gameplay mechanics are superior and improved over the original in every way.

Bioshock 2 is a great game with a great soundtrack. It's better than the first in most ways. Check it out if you can.

Oh I know. I own the trilogy and have played through every game at least twice, I will never understand the hate so many people have for 2.

It's just, for some reason, I don't remember this track being so much similar with DS3 track until now.

Time to revisit the OST.

Aces&Eights

Yorhm is kind of the one and only worth people's time.

I always see an Aldrich Faithful when I invade someone who hasn't cleared the area boss. They're also usually pretty disruptive and attack everyone.

I was putting my sign down outside Dancer and was getting summoned even before my animation ended from putting down my sign. It's about a 3 minute fight.

Skii

Guys, where are all the good strength weapons?

Story-wise, I've just
beaten Aldrich
and I'm rolling with a +6 heavy Broadsword... It's decent but I want that awesome A scaling strength weapon but I've yet to find one. I've also got
Artorias' sword to +2 (I know it's called something else)
but I don't really like the moveset that much. It's in the awkward space of being a bit too slow but doesn't deal enough damage to warrant being slower than the medium swords.

Any suggestions on a good strength weapon? My strength is at 35.

z1ggy

Crap...I may have messed up a quest line and I dont know what I did wrong. Google ain't helping.

I didnt know Anri was an important character. And I cleared the SHIT out of the Cathedral. However, upon doing so, I encountered the respec clan. I did it even though I probably didnt need to. Cos Im stupid. Then I saw Anri at Firelink and she said nect time we meet, we'll be enemies. Now I don't know where she is. She's not at Carthus. The other guy isn't in his spot at Smouldering. I'm lost.

That´s probably Sirris and not Anri.

Story-wise, I've just
beaten Aldrich
and I'm rolling with a +6 heavy Broadsword... It's decent but I want that awesome A scaling strength weapon but I've yet to find one. I've also got
but I don't really like the moveset that much. It's in the awkward space of being a bit too slow but doesn't deal enough damage to warrant being slower than the medium swords.

The
Butcher's Knife
is worth a look. I used it for much of the early-mid game on my strength build. You can find it pretty early on in the Road of Sacrifices. It's not terribly hidden either but it has A strength scaling right off the bat and the weapon art allows you to sharpen it which will heal you as you strike enemies (not as useful as it sounds but its ok). +10 gets you S scaling with strength.

Also, the
Great Machete
is also worth a gander. It's a dropped weapon that's relatively easy to get in the Road of Sacrifices and the Undead Settlement.

Jamiaro

Refined Dark Blade+10 is just too good to ignore. Gonna keep an Estoc as a secondary weapon. That way I can Fashion all I want.

Edit: OMG! Junior-days are behind me! :D I am a big boy!

Skii

The
Butcher's Knife
is worth a look. I used it for much of the early-mid game on my strength build. You can find it pretty early on in the Road of Sacrifices. It's not terribly hidden either but it has A strength scaling right off the bat and the weapon art allows you to sharpen it which will heal you as you strike enemies (not as useful as it sounds but its ok). +10 gets you S scaling with strength.

Oh yeah I did manage to pick that up but I'm not going to use it because I used the equivalent in Demons Souls. I generally alternate with strength/dex builds for Souls games.

I went with:

Demon's Souls: Meat Cleaver (strength)
Dark Souls: Uchigatana (dex)
Dark Souls 2: Long sword {strength)
Bloodborne: Cane/Saw Spear (dex/strength)
Dak Souls 3: Broadsword(???) (strength)

I'd definitely like to do the second half of the game with another weapon because the broadsword is way too similar to the long sword. But thanks for the suggestion :)

Oh yeah I did manage to pick that up but I'm not going to use it because I used the equivalent in Demons Souls. I generally alternate with strength/dex builds for Souls games.

I went with:

Demon's Souls: Meat Cleaver (strength)
Dark Souls: Uchigatana (dex)
Dark Souls 2: Long sword {strength)
Bloodborne: Cane/Saw Spear (dex/strength)
Dak Souls 3: Broadsword(???) (strength)

I'd definitely like to do the second half of the game with another weapon because the broadsword is way too similar to the long sword. But thanks for the suggestion :)

The Dark Blade just mentioned is also another fantastic one (thought a bit harder to get as its a drop from a Darkwraith). It can do A scaling for strength with a heavy infusion +10. It's a fantastic weapon.

I am helping people with A
ldrich
so I can farm some souls before continuing and man, this boss can be a real piece of shit. I must have gotten lucky on all my solo attempts because the win/loss ratio of all these co-op sessions is very poor.

Skii

The Dark Blade just mentioned is also another fantastic one (thought a bit harder to get as its a drop from a Darkwraith). It can do A scaling for strength with a heavy infusion +10. It's a fantastic weapon.

Interesting. I'll get to farming Darkwraiths then. I also remember I was going to try and get the Ultra Greatsword as a drop from the Black knight in ROS. Hoping I can get either of those to drop so I can test them out!

Adam Blue

I went broad sword, to curved exile great sword, to this. By the time I was in Lothric I was +9. For a semi-blind run (just friends passing info during coop), it was easy to get powerful.
I ended the game with 4 slabs.

I wish people used more interesting weapons instead of just Googling which is the best for their min/max build. I have seen one other person use Arstor's Spear and exactly 0 use the Drang Spears. Sometimes it's fun to use odd weapons even if there's something better and more OP. I'm going a Demon Fist build next cause why the fuck not? Already ran a Luck based Ghru Curved Sword modded to bleed and that was interesting. Hard, but interesting.

Also it's really hard to get picturesof the underside of these slugs. Stop spitting on me I'm just trying to photo you.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm mostly trying to get all the items and spells needed for the Achievements at the moment. I didn't know that you had to follow one of the NPCs in Firelink to get a certain spell from a soul that doesn't drop in any other way...

The grinding is much worse in this game than in DS1 :(

I wish people used more interesting weapons instead of just Googling which is the best for their min/max build. I have seen one other person use Arstor's Spear and exactly 0 use the Drang Spears. Sometimes it's fun to use odd weapons even if there's something better and more OP. I'm going a Demon Fist build next cause why the fuck not? Already ran a Luck based Ghru Curved Sword modded to bleed and that was interesting. Hard, but interesting.

I'm all about that Heavy Dark Sword +10 all day, every day :)

Also it's really hard to get picturesof the underside of these slugs. Stop spitting on me I'm just trying to photo you.

For what it's worth, I just settled on (lightning infused) Drang Twinspears as my main for this character. I'll be sure to hop online for a couple of days to liven things up a bit.

Skii

I'm sorry but I'm really boring like that. My most inventive blind run of a Souls game was probably Demon's Souls. I ended the game with the full Yurt's set and the Meat Cleaver. I was a fat rolling god. I still don't know how I even beat that game my first time with only fat rolling.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

In any game that allows it, my first build is always a Katana one, I'm afraid. I'm looking at the Manikin Claws/Brigand Twin Daggers for some Quickstep action next.

I don't like using any dual wielding weapon just because the idea is as dumb as hell to me unless the offhand is some sort of parry weapon. I used dual large clubs in dark souls 2 for a while just because it was hilariously stupid but overall the amount of bog standard western fantasy that has crept into souls over time is not to my taste. Series is one step away from chainmail bikinis and swords with knives on the guard that stab into the user when they are swung.

I went broad sword, to curved exile great sword, to this. By the time I was in Lothric I was +9. For a semi-blind run (just friends passing info during coop), it was easy to get powerful.
I ended the game with 4 slabs.

Yeah I got a total of
5 slabs
by the end of my run. Plenty of resources to get fully upgraded weapons.

DPB

I'd use more interesting weapons, but I almost always play casters or hybrids and they've severely restricted the number of weapons which can be buffed or infused, so many of the ones I want to use are useless to me.

I actually wish whips were more viable. I'd use one in a heartbeat if I could. Hell, I just may on a second run for the fun of it. I want some of that threaded cane action from Bloodborne in DS3.:)

Ogawa-san

I have seen one other person use Arstor's Spear and exactly 0 use the Drang Spears.
I've upgraded those Drang Spears, Murakumo and a couple scythes to +10 and a whip to +9, all of them stuff I rarely if ever seen around while co-oping, just to see how they'd fare.

They're all cool and all, but there's just no good reason to use them over straight swords or katanas for example when all they have going for them is a bit extra range. They do comparable damage at best (except whips, that are straight up garbage) while having to commit to longer animations that'll make most bosses harder. So why would I use them?

I'd love to go around accidentally demolishing doorways with the largest bastard ultrasword available, but fashion souls for weapons in DS3 require a certain degree of masochism. I have the utmost respect for the insane people out there that went through the game with only a FUGS.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The game taking your weapon upgrade level into account for matchmaking is pretty smart, but where's the sense in taking it into account when you've stored your upgraded weapons in your box? Is it because you can technically put your sign down then run to your box and take those weapons back out? Surely they should have just restricted access to your box as soon as you put your sign down, and just used your accessible inventory at that moment as the basis for matchmaking.

It would be nice to be able to stick at a certain level for the entire game and upgrade my main weapons as usual, while still being able to go back to earlier areas, store my upgraded weapons, and get summoned by a larger pool of players for coop.

KHlover

Banned
I've upgraded those Drang Spears, Murakumo and a couple scythes to +10 and a whip to +9, all of them stuff I rarely if ever seen around while co-oping, just to see how they'd fare.

They're all cool and all, but there's just no good reason to use them over straight swords or katanas for example when all they have going for them is a bit extra range. They do comparable damage at best (except whips, that are straight up garbage) while having to commit to longer animations that'll make most bosses harder. So why would I use them?

I'd love to go around accidentally demolishing doorways with the largest bastard ultrasword available, but fashion souls for weapons in DS3 require a certain degree of masochism. I have the utmost respect for the insane people out there that went through the game with only a FUGS.

Actually I find UGS to be much better than the Scythes or Halberds. I've started using a UGS in NG+ and at 40 DEX 40 STR 40 END the damage my Greatsword +10 deals is actually worth the stamina cost, it just tears through enemies like paper. My Glaive +10 can compare in reach and eats less stamina, but once enemies with high poise start turning up it's worse than both Straight Swords which just stunlock everything to death and the UGS which also doesn't stagger those enemies long enough, but at least chews off a lot more HP in a single swing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
it's impossible to no-shield enemies in Irithyll. The tall skinny guys, holy shit. They are relentess, have ridiculous reach, and hit like trucks even when I'm wearing good armor.

Astral

Would respecing LUK to 99 really make farming covenant items that much easier? At 40 LUK my item discovery can still reach 340.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think it was buffed in a patch, I guess it needs a significant stat investment, maybe?
Right now at almost 300 AR (+1) even with Fire Clutch Ring, just meeting the stat requirements, it does less damage than my sellsword twinblades +3 that have 158 AR (20 dex) on normal enemies in places like the Road of Sacrifice or Crucifixion Woods.

There isn't. The weapon was slightly buffed with a patch but it's still useless.

You have to go through 2 or even 3 different defenses (physical+fire+magic), and the scaling is so bad that you have to do a build only around them, and still they underperform even with high AR because of the split damage.

The worst part is the weapon art, it's cool and stuns a lot but the damage is terrible. You actually do more damage with 2 R1 hits for half the time it takes to do the full art.

Pair all of this with a slow as fuck L1 (the only thing that does some kind of damage) and you get a weapon that it's broken beyond repair.
God fucking dammit. :(

Gonna re-spec I guess. Might have to settle for luck/bleed build and farm the Cathedral for the Warden's twinblades. Still, hollow/bleed infusions are super late in the game right?

Goddamn this game's coal system. Whyyyy

Seriously, of all the stupid fucking things to bring back from DS2 they bring back lava runs.

Sorry no powerstance for you, you get to run through lava while buffing your ass and praying to survive--only this time there's no lifegems to help you through it, mwahahahahahahahahaha

>___>
Meh that was in Demon's Souls too. :p Just use flash sweat, flame stoneplate, stack fire resist armour and chug estus. I haven't died there yet.

Crap...I may have messed up a quest line and I dont know what I did wrong. Google ain't helping.

I didnt know Anri was an important character. And I cleared the SHIT out of the Cathedral. However, upon doing so, I encountered the respec clan. I did it even though I probably didnt need to. Cos Im stupid. Then I saw Anri at Firelink and she said nect time we meet, we'll be enemies. Now I don't know where she is. She's not at Carthus. The other guy isn't in his spot at Smouldering. I'm lost.
But they are nowhere to be found. Neither her nor him. In the locations I have reached so far.
Yeah that isn't Anri, that's Sirris. Anri re-appears for the second time in the Catacombs but sometimes they're not there; they weren't there in my first playthrough and just disappeared. Sorry.

Story-wise, I've just
beaten Aldrich

My friend uses the great club and enjoys it so far. Try that maybe.

Sunlight Spear does so much damage at 60 Faith and with the Firstborn ring. No one is ever ready to eat one at melee range. The lowest I've seen it do is 1200 damage and that's with only a +9 Sunlight Talisman.
Really? Has that thing finally been buffed in a patch? At 35 faith with the firstborn ring it was still crap... think I used the cleric's sacred chime as it had the best spell buff I had so far.

myco666

Was finding the game very easy up until I reached Irithyll. Fuck that dragon on the bridge.

You can cheese it very easily.
Hit few times. Run back through the gate and it will disappear. Now walk back and it spawns back with the same HP as it had when it disappeared. Rinse and repeat.

T-Rex.

Banned
Just run past him.
Can't. It says I need a doll or something to pass which I assumed I'd get from beating the dragon?

You can cheese it very easily.
Hit few times. Run back through the gate and it will disappear. Now walk back and it spawns back with the same HP as it had when it disappeared. Rinse and repeat.
Unfortunately I figured that strategy out like 3 deaths ago but I died so many times that I'm just being very impatient and making stupid mistakes. Gonna take a break for a bit before trying again.

Dimmle

Using Rapport on a Pus of Man as a joke and it works, then nearly solos an invader.

post-30824-Jack-Nicholson-Creepy-Nodding-SRXv.gif

Can't. It says I need a doll or something to pass which I assumed I'd get from beating the dragon?

I had the same problem when I was playing, I'd missed the boss you need to beat to get the doll. You probably have to go back and explore the castle next to the swamp a bit more and find an area you missed.

I understand that people want to play a game with what is mechanically the most effective weapon for a game that is very much based on skill and reaction and whatnot but it just makes it so...boring to me. If there are only a few viable weapons due to attack timing or poise or damage or buffability then what is the fucking point of having anything but those weapons? And then we get a game like Bloodborne where they're all viable but there are so few of them that seems to fix that problem and now there's not enough variety of weapons that you wouldn't use anyways.

I dunno. I just wish I could kill a Corvian, get it's Greatknife and then beat the game with it if I play right.

Veelk

Banned
Has anyone killed the Anci
ent Wyvern
in an honest fight?

I'm REALLY disappointed in how that fight ended. Honestly, I'm disappointed in DS3's dragons in general.

I've yet to play DS1, but it's dragon designs are AMAZING. Seath is such a fresh take on the concept, and Gaping Dragon is just wtf. I hope their actual fights live up to expectations, but their designs are some of the best in Dragon art.

Then we have DS3 and we get
3 dragons that are just....spikey. Lame. And you have to annoyingly whittle them down with arrows (I know you can judge dodge them and kill their inner abyss, but same thing, you're not fighting the dragons, just their inner black goo). And then when we get our first real dragon fight, you're supposed to run away from it, so you can kill it in a very unsoulslike 'cinematic' moment that is hilariously contrived because it requires the dragon to just stay in the same position.

I tried fighting it, but I didn't get too far because it's hitbox's are fucking STUPID. You could be 10 feet from it's swinging tail, it will hit you. But I might manage it if I have my weapon hit hard enough.

Pejo

Started my second character last night, this time doing a female str character. Went female because the female "HEY! emote" is so antagonizing to invaders. Started out with Cleric just because I want FTH to at least 20 for a weapon buff, and it starts with pretty good strength, and chimes help a lot early on with the regen weapon art.

I think my first STR weapon to try is going to be the great machete, and eventually D
emon's Fist.
Do you guys reccomend crossbows for a STR build, as the best ranged/pulling weapon without investing much into DEX?

Just by virtue of knowing where things are this time, the game feels so much easier. The first blind playthrough of a souls game will always be one of the best things about them.

DPB

You're on the wrong track.

You need to go back to the swamp where the crabs are and take a different path, there's an area you haven't been to yet.

Novocaine

Thinking about giving magic a whirl for my NG+4 run. Does it hold up? Will rock the MLGS, any recommendations on where to dump stats outside of int? (SL200)

Just run past him.

Don't do that. It's a pretty BS enemy, but killing and learning from it now is the better option, as it's not a unique enemy, and for... another reason.

Unfortunately I figured that strategy out like 3 deaths ago but I died so many times that I'm just being very impatient and making stupid mistakes. Gonna take a break for a bit before trying again.

You get the doll from the C
athedral
of the D
eep

If you have a 100% block shield, use that + Green Blossom to tank the hits and only hit back once, maybe twice. Just block when it does anything because apparently its fucking hair injures you if you get touched.

Dahbomb

Has anyone killed the Anci
ent Wyvern
in an honest fight?

I'm REALLY disappointed in how that fight ended. Honestly, I'm disappointed in DS3's dragons in general.

I've yet to play DS1, but it's dragon designs are AMAZING. Seath is such a fresh take on the concept, and Gaping Dragon is just wtf. I hope their actual fights live up to expectations, but their designs are some of the best in Dragon art.

Then we have DS3 and we get
3 dragons that are just....spikey. Lame. And you have to annoyingly whittle them down with arrows (I know you can judge dodge them and kill their inner abyss, but same thing, you're not fighting the dragons, just their inner black goo). And then when we get our first real dragon fight, you're supposed to run away from it, so you can kill it in a very unsoulslike 'cinematic' moment that is hilariously contrived because it requires the dragon to just stay in the same position.

I tried fighting it, but I didn't get too far because it's hitbox's are fucking STUPID. You could be 10 feet from it's swinging tail, it will hit you. But I might manage it if I have my weapon hit hard enough.
Those dragon fights are pretty mediocre but there's a dragon boss fight in the DS1 DLC that's pretty good even though it looks like a regular dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom