• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only good dragon fight in Souls was Kalameet. I think the bigger your dragon gets the less interesting or more boring the fight gets because you're basically just poking it's ankles. They probably realized that the bigger dragon you have the more impressive it looks but the shittier the fight is.

Kalameet was a motherfucking boss though. I co-op'd that shit so much in DS1, one of the best fights of the series.

Ferr986

The only good dragon fight in Souls was Kalameet. I think the bigger your dragon gets the less interesting or more boring the fight gets because you're basically just poking it's ankles. They probably realized that the bigger dragon you have the more impressive it looks but the shittier the fight is.

Kalameet was a motherfucking boss though. I co-op'd that shit so much in DS1, one of the best fights of the series.

Sinh was a really good fight too, although I would choose Kalameet as the best.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Was finding the game very easy up until I reached Irithyll. Fuck that dragon on the bridge.

lure him to the entrance to bridge wait for him to do his vanishing animation hit him while he does it, go back the bridge wait for it to appear, then run back to the entrance of the bridge and do what I first mentioned in this post. Rinse/repeat, dead.

Sinh was a really good fight too, although I would choose Kalameet as the best.

Oh, I forgot Sinh. He was pretty good, kinda rode the same line of thought as Kalameet though; make them smaller and more agile like a big lion and the fight will be better.

Like a big, psychic, one-eyed lion.

Dahbomb

Best dragon fights in the entire series are Kalameet (DS1 DLC) and Sinh the Slumbering Dragon (DS2 DLC).

Most other dragon fights in the series are quite underwhelming despite cool intro or design. Like Dragon God in Demon's Souls.

I actually really like the design of the dragons in DS3. Sometimes big-ass dragons just look cool.

Good thing we don't have to fight
that dragon in the distance
at A
rchdragon's
P
eak

Edit: It's a Crocodawg. Kinda like a subspecies of the Chocodile.

gaugebozo

I am helping people with A
ldrich
so I can farm some souls before continuing and man, this boss can be a real piece of shit. I must have gotten lucky on all my solo attempts because the win/loss ratio of all these co-op sessions is very poor.
For coop, I think it's the worst. (Maybe tied with PS). I think I had one success in 20, and that was for me as host. It's the arrows with spear blast that gets you.

For coop, I think it's the worst. (Maybe tied with PS). I think I had one success in 20, and that was for me as host. It's the arrows with spear blast that gets you.

Yeah, as has been my experience, once you learn his moves you're like "Okay, I got this" and then "I AM THE BONE OF MY ARROWS" and it's all "Fuck me running"

Mindlog

lmao I just got invaded by a Dark Spirit with 50k souls. By the time the Darkmoon guy finally showed up I had already disposed of him though. Invader ate a fully charged 2h R2 from my Greatsword and then didn't account for the backswing of the 2h R1.

I love this weapon. Really do.
Killing before a Darkmoon shows up is par for the course for me. Sorry Smurfs, but you are just too slow. Also landing a heavy R2 weapon art is very satisfying.

That said I ended up using a dark blade instead of my zwei or wolf for (very late game boss?)
Nameless King
. My first attempt I was just rolling randomly and died quickly. My second attempt was better, but I felt the slowness of the Zwei hit me really hard for the first time (general game mechanic)
especially against a boss I couldn't parry.
I still could have stuck with the Zwei, but I decided to use one of my great shields and fat rolling was not an option. I also switched from Carthus Milkring to Carthus Bloodring. May have just been a placebo, but the difference felt monumental. Getting hit was not an option because of the armor I had to wear and the defense hit, but between the greatshield I was using and Carthus Bloodring I was rarely hit to begin with.

I ended up doing a lot of co-operating in front of that boss
Nameless King
. Summoning was typically instant and never more than a five second wait. Learned the boss extremely well and when I finally went back on my own I completely bodied him. Next time I'm going to do it with my Zwei.
That was similar to my experience as well. I didn't end up dropping my sign there that much. The boss I was talking about above also has a certain move that catches lots of hosts.

Vena

Does anyone know where I can find the parry time windows (for the differences) between parry shields, small shields with parry, and normal shields with parry?

Kalameet was great. Sinh was cool. Gaping dragon was easy, but considering how stressful the depths could be (particularly pre-patch), I'm basically fine with how that fight works.

zma1013

Has anyone killed the Anci
ent Wyvern
in an honest fight?

I'm REALLY disappointed in how that fight ended. Honestly, I'm disappointed in DS3's dragons in general.

I've yet to play DS1, but it's dragon designs are AMAZING. Seath is such a fresh take on the concept, and Gaping Dragon is just wtf. I hope their actual fights live up to expectations, but their designs are some of the best in Dragon art.

Then we have DS3 and we get
3 dragons that are just....spikey. Lame. And you have to annoyingly whittle them down with arrows (I know you can judge dodge them and kill their inner abyss, but same thing, you're not fighting the dragons, just their inner black goo). And then when we get our first real dragon fight, you're supposed to run away from it, so you can kill it in a very unsoulslike 'cinematic' moment that is hilariously contrived because it requires the dragon to just stay in the same position.

I tried fighting it, but I didn't get too far because it's hitbox's are fucking STUPID. You could be 10 feet from it's swinging tail, it will hit you. But I might manage it if I have my weapon hit hard enough.

There are only 3 proper dragon fights in the entirety of the Souls games. One is in the DLC for DS1 and the others are in DS2. The DS1 DLC dragon fight is spectacular and is my favorite fight in that game and the ones in DS2 are fine. As for Gaping Dragon and Seath, they are awesome designs with great spectacle involved in their fights, but not the most technically demanding fights. They are large and slow and pretty simple to take down once you know their moves. That's not to say they aren't fun, but Seath can get a little annoying sometimes.

Momentary

Banned
Untitled12_zpsgxqnkiwm.png

I'm still not done... I think I'm missing some armor and weapons.

Why can't you?

O_____O

I'll be right back.

Edit: Alright, from...5 seconds of research it appears that the knife just has dick-ass scaling. For a knife weapon it actually tops out at some silly high damage, at +10 it beats out every other knife and the Tailbone Short Sword is it's closest competitor when it's at +5 with worse Strength Scaling. Then again, it has Double D scaling in Str/Dex so it looks like even with high Str/Dex it might be best to go in Raw with it. Doesn't make sense to make it a Bleeding Weapon because you could just max the Bandit Knife and get the same bleed rating with better damage/scaling (though amusingly not too much). It can also be buffed which is nice. I'll have to take a look at it's moveset and speed to see how viable it is to use because if it has a normal knife speed attack at that high damage it might actually be able to rack up damage real quick.

I think I'll finish up my Pyropantser run and then start a new game, rushing to the RoS to farm for the Knife, and see if I can make a viable build for it. Probably go the lowest stats for a Raw one and focus on Pyro/Sorc/Faith buffs.

Has anyone killed the Anci
ent Wyvern
in an honest fight?

I'm REALLY disappointed in how that fight ended. Honestly, I'm disappointed in DS3's dragons in general.

I've yet to play DS1, but it's dragon designs are AMAZING. Seath is such a fresh take on the concept, and Gaping Dragon is just wtf. I hope their actual fights live up to expectations, but their designs are some of the best in Dragon art.

Then we have DS3 and we get
3 dragons that are just....spikey. Lame. And you have to annoyingly whittle them down with arrows (I know you can judge dodge them and kill their inner abyss, but same thing, you're not fighting the dragons, just their inner black goo). And then when we get our first real dragon fight, you're supposed to run away from it, so you can kill it in a very unsoulslike 'cinematic' moment that is hilariously contrived because it requires the dragon to just stay in the same position.

I tried fighting it, but I didn't get too far because it's hitbox's are fucking STUPID. You could be 10 feet from it's swinging tail, it will hit you. But I might manage it if I have my weapon hit hard enough.

Hm, this would be an interesting challenge along with fighting
Yhorm without Storm Ruler.

Are the bastard sword/claymore viable end game weapons for defeating every boss? They seem to be weighty enough without being too slow that you can never attack. I used the broadsword for a while but I found it was too weak in comparison per hit. I'm going with the bastard sword atm because it scales better with strength than the claymore (I have 43 strength). Is there any reason to use the claymore over it? Also are there any better alternative greatswords that don't take aeons to swing?

Okay, holy poop, the Corvian Great Knife moveset is as fast as a normal dagger. It also has deceptive reach since it's actually as long as a sword but swings much faster. Also has some nice thrust attacks. This might actually be viable.

Now someone go beat the game with the Thrall Axe.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question about backing up saves:

I'm at the end of the game now and plan on doing an NG+ run, but I imagine I will want to tackle the DLC in base NG when it eventually comes out. If I back up my save before starting NG+, can I just replace the save folder after the DLC comes out and resume my NG character?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

O_____O

I'll be right back.

Edit: Alright, from...5 seconds of research it appears that the knife just has dick-ass scaling. For a knife weapon it actually tops out at some silly high damage, at +10 it beats out every other knife and the Tailbone Short Sword is it's closest competitor when it's at +5 with worse Strength Scaling. Then again, it has Double D scaling in Str/Dex so it looks like even with high Str/Dex it might be best to go in Raw with it. Doesn't make sense to make it a Bleeding Weapon because you could just max the Bandit Knife and get the same bleed rating with better damage/scaling (though amusingly not too much). It can also be buffed which is nice. I'll have to take a look at it's moveset and speed to see how viable it is to use because if it has a normal knife speed attack at that high damage it might actually be able to rack up damage real quick.

I think I'll finish up my Pyropantser run and then start a new game, rushing to the RoS to farm for the Knife, and see if I can make a viable build for it. Probably go the lowest stats for a Raw one and focus on Pyro/Sorc/Faith buffs.

That's the spirit! :D

Sounds good, man. It looks pretty quick to me (YouTube moveset video). Special is a shield bypassing dead angle move which could be useful.

Let us know the score!

Amusingly enough, it appears like I literally only have to fight Gundyr and Vordt before getting it. Get to Undead Settlement, run through it and take the elevator, elude the asshole down there and open the door to the Road. Then farm it up there and play the game normally.

Astral

What's the best place to invade endgame? Don't say Irithyll to because everyone expects it and ganks the shit out of you. I'm talking a good old hunter vs prey scenario.

Dimmle

Bad dragon fights is a Souls series tradition. You don't want to spit on tradition by playing a good dragon fight, do you?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Sinh in Dark Souls II was a good dragon fight.

Astral

try the high wall area.

Do you mean Lothric Castle? If so it's been pretty decent. It's just hard finding the host sometimes. Why would anyone be running around High Wall late in the game though? Also, Sihn or however you spell it was a great fight.

Skii

My friend uses the great club and enjoys it so far. Try that maybe.

I will never use any clubs. I adhere to Fashion Souls strictly and that means nice looking swords not hulking pieces of wood. I'm not some sort of savage.

thanks for the suggestion though :p

Tarkus

Sinh was good too come on

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Amusingly enough, it appears like I literally only have to fight Gundyr and Vordt before getting it. Get to Undead Settlement, run through it and take the elevator, elude the asshole down there and open the door to the Road. Then farm it up there and play the game normally.

Start as an Assassin and the Spook spell cuts out a whole chunk of Undead Settlement. :)

Skii

feels like some of the best boss fights are in DLC. Artorias (DkS1), Maria (BB), Alonne (DkS2) etc

It's probably because they basically have a good 6 months to focus on like 4 boss fights for the DLC with a lot more knowledge on the actual Souls metagame allowing you to truly mix it up and challenge the player.

LiK

it's amazing how much you can skip by just running through the game to the bosses. i was just rushing through NG+ and NG++ for the trophies and i was laughing how entire areas just quickly flew by as long as i wasn't trying to find everything.

KHlover

Banned
it's amazing how much you can skip by just running through the game to the bosses. i was just rushing through NG+ and NG++ for the trophies and i was laughing how entire areas just quickly flew by as long as i wasn't trying to find everything.
Yeah. Spoopy scary cathedral which kept me busy for 2+ hours in my first run? 10min inc. boss fight in NG+ lol

lunlunqq

So I just killed an enemy with a hat in catacombs. Skeleton. I am assuming he triggers something...

You want a hint or just want to figure it out on your own?

The rolling skeleton ball now dies when it hits the wall and will leave you with a good item.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
DLC has probably the best content in each Dark Souls game, especially with bosses.

This.
The levels often have some disappointments though, mostly good, some less so.

DS1: Royal Woods was underwhelming. Recycled and not that fun to explore. Oolacile Township was nice, but a bit linear. And the Chasm of the Abyss was also not that great. (Bosses were all stellar though!)

DS2: Mostly all good. The "bonus" areas kind of suck. Iron Passage can fuck right off, worst part of the whole game for me. I don't even hate the Frigid Outskirts as much as Iron Passage haha. But the main levels are great. I am a bit annoyed at Eleum Loyce not being coop-able the second time around though (after you remove the storm) without using shades, it's a bit annoying for coop runs.

Bloodborne: Hunter's Nightmare recycles a lot of assets (and justifies it with "it's a nightmare level! lore blah blah!") and even some enemies (the blood ticks). It's fun to explore though. And Research Hall and Fishing Hamlet are fantastic at least.

So without considering the bosses, funnily enough I dare say Artorias of the Abyss is the weakest DLC. XD Of course, it has like, 3 of the best bosses of the whole series, so that makes up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom