• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Press Event Discussion: Embargo - 8am CST (03/01/)

J4g3r

**THERE ARE NO UNMARKED SPOILERS IN THIS FIRST POST.**

****PLEASE TAG ALL SPOILERS****

t1456840800z2.png

A lot of content will be coming out of the cracks from recent Press Events that Bandai Namco held for Dark Souls III.

There's already been a thread in regards to Playstation Access' Dark Souls III week that will have a new gameplay video each day starting today until March 4th.

Once the embargo drops at 8am CST today though; there's going to be a whole lot more, and we need a place to discuss all that.

So here we are!

(Comparing what press got to play to Dark Souls 2, this would be the equivalent of showing Things Betwixt, Majula and Forest of Fallen Giants)

I'm just going to list content in this OP as it comes by; as writing this post, some content is out there that has broken the embargo.

here comes the media blitz

You bastards are making it really hard to NOT spoil Dark Souls 3!!!

Ok time for media blackout for REAL

Must. Not. Watch.

I'm on complete media blackout since this was announced. I only assume its gonna be like Dark Souls 1/2 with some of the Bloodborne movement increases to combat. Otherwise, I wanna go in as blind as possible (as a DS veteran can be).

J4g3r

From other thread

New screenshots from videogamer (mild spoilers ahead, glimpses of a new area). I don't think they're on their site yet.

http://imgur.com/a/VVsMv

That second picture.

Wait-is there no discussion for the media here? People on blackout shouldnt come in here then -or we need another thread

I made this thread with intent of discussion, just wanted to make sure everything is spoiler marked so people don't wonder in and get spoiled.

Mutombo

I like about Souls games that you can watch footage and still not be spoiled for the remaining 80 percent of the game.

Still.

SPOILER NEW PICS

That third pic is awesome, looks a like an area with a roman/greek/arabic touch.

And more importantly, it's a bright setting! No night, storm, cave, whatever, a bright setting in daylight! Reminds me of Dragon Aerie and Lordran, i love it!

SPOILER END

Christ, i need the game, asap. Please Namco, push the western release from April to March!!!

Gbraga

I love you guys, this community makes the internet much more fun to me, but I think it's time to get the hell out. Hopefully LTTP Bloodborne threads will keep me from hollowing until April.

See ya.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have my impressions typed out, it's a long post. Waiting for 3 pm. I was going to make a new thread for it, but maybe it's better to just post it here.

p3n

From what I have seen in the past 4 days it is looking much better than what we got in the network test or in the gamescom/TGS builds. And I don't mean graphically.

I hope Peeve and Lobos did some deeper testing on mechanic's instead of just dicking around like everyone else. Would be nice to hear from the best pvp and the best pve souls players how it compares against the prequels and especially Bloodborne.

Some observations based on memory from the event below. Do not click unless you want to be super spoiled...

Character creation: Seems similar to BB. Fat and hairy choice available! Looked like there was about 50 shared-gender hair styles. Pigtails confirmed!

Classes: Very normal classes, mostly the ones from DS1. Assassin has Estoc and magic, spook spell. Starting gift included a pendant like "nostalgia" item of unknown purpose. There was some kind of tree branch item that seems to have Chameleon effect. I picked Cracked Red Eye orb which was unnecessary as I quickly had 9. There's a fire gem for a weapon upgrade. This might be the "easy mode" gift?

Intro: Nothing new from what's been released already. There's a short cutscene with your character waking from grave.

Intro area led to a super crystal lizard. Hard but not super hard, drops a ton of souls and a scale(upgrade material). Normal crystal lizards seem to exist too.

Intro boss is very easy. They should buff his health... Veterans beating him in 30 seconds should not be a surprise.

Firelink: NPCs are Fire Keeper, Andre, Ludleth, Hawkwood, an old lady merchant and a mysterious assassin guy who gives you 5 cracked orbs. The area is huge and soon fills up. Over 10 NPCs there after you explore the first few areas. From memory, a merchant named Grairat who gives you a task to complete, Cornyx the pyro teacher, a magic teacher pilgrim who seems to give you one free level up under the guise of releasing your true strength. Not sure if there's more to it than that. When you speak to an NPC outside of Firelink, they ask if they can help and once you say yes they suddenly vanish in a cloud of smoke. This means "they have gone to firelink." I guess people complained that that wasn't clear in the previous games? Seemed weird...

Firekeeper says touch the darkness inside me. She dies if attacked but returns after a loading screen.

Ludleth says something like "I may be small but I will die a colossus."

The throne in the middle belongs to the King of Lothric. The Prince of Lothric seems to be an important character, his name appears a lot in item descriptions. Hawkwood says that Aldrich was a cleric who ate so many men that he become a blob. Became lord of cinder because of his might. He questions whether you have the "stones" to continue.

Giant Tree that will drop seed of a giant confirmed.

I kept having a fog wall go up as I was trying to leave firelink. Bug or some kind of multi-player event that wasn't working properly?

There's a hostile NPC right outside firelink. Pretty much a naked guy with an uchi. Very tough and drops his gear if defeated. Uchi weapon art puts you in a stance that allows you to either attack or parry. Hard to pull off but satisfying.

Andre can only upgrade weapons/shields and needs gems to do infusions. Seems like he can only do Raw, Fire, Refined(I think this is Quality from Demons', base damage reduced but scaling up. Seemed to turn weapons into C/C for Dex/STR.) Appears that upgrading can change the weapon arts. When upgrading, there is a section for the weapon art that said Parry -> Parry. None of the upgrades with Andre actually changed them but the fact that it's listed should mean it's possible with other blacksmith or special gem.

The UI seems pretty good. There's definitely a lot more numbers being thrown at you. Defense mitigation numbers seem to go overboard. My magic defense was 18.546! Not sure why it needs to be that precise, but it is. You can use multiple items at once but doing so takes you out of the menu, Bloodborne-style. You can only hold a certain number of most items. For Fire Bombs, it was 20. Excess goes to your box like Bloodborne.

High Wall: You must warp to it. There seem to be a lot of bonfires in the first few areas. Three per area may be the norm. The graves that give you lore have been removed. There are Red and Blue Knights near the boss. Blue one actually buffs his weapon with resin. 

Estoc: Not as good as DS1 but pretty good. The R2 is a cool slash that does good damage. The weapon art pierces shields but is hard to use. I tried it against the big knights with shields but I always seemed to get hit while doing it. Will probably be useful against hosts who try to turtle.

Resins: Two types, one lasts about a minutes, the other about 10 seconds. Pine, charcoal, Pale(magic) confirmed.

Pyro: Glove seems to upgrade with titanite and has C scaling with both Int and Faith.

Magic: A decent number of spells available after talking to NPC but nothing we haven't seen before. Magic damage for Assassin class was pitiful and didn't seem worth using until you upgrade/level up.

Divine Blessing and Hidden Blessing healing items. Hopefully these are limited in how many you can carry to like 3...

Item you use to reestablish worlds returns. So you will get banned for certain behavior.

Gestures: You get a bunch from talking to the NPCs. There's one that lets you sit down like Bloodborne. One seemed to let you stay in a prostrated begging state.

The Dancer is not in the boss room. There is a lady there who let's you join Way of Blue covenant. You receive a Covenant item that has its on slot and you can switch them in and out at will. This NPC was invincible because she had infinite health. Does Way of Blue confirm 1 vs 1 invasions? Seems pointless if it summons help when you're already at a numbers advantage as a host.

First real boss is ice turtle guy, Vordt. Very easy if you use resin. Causes frostbite but goes down quickly. Frigid Valley has been renamed to Boreal Valley.

You travel to next area by Anor Londo flying demons. This area, Undead Settlement may be the most complicated Souls area yet. It has so many paths and levels that you will get lost. It was pretty overwhelming and felt like a "the real Dark Souls starts here" moment. I fell down a ledge and ended up completely lost in new place, so I just started running forward. Found a bonfire and some new enemies that are super creepy. They look like the small disciple of Mozgus with the pliers. The things move super fast and as I was fighting one, another jumped on my back and throat slashed me to death. I got to the tree boss but I think I missed half the level. This area supposedly leads you to Aldrich.

Some observations based on memory from the event below. Do not click unless you want to be super spoiled...

The area is huge and soon fills up. Over 10 NPCs there after you explore the first few areas. From memory, a merchant named Grairat who gives you a task to complete, Cornyx the pyro teacher, a magic teacher pilgrim who seems to give you one free level up under the guise of releasing your true strength. Not sure if there's more to it than that.

Firekeeper says touch the darkness inside me. She dies if attacked but returns after a loading screen.
Oh shit we demons souls again

wiibomb

I just want to watch where they did the press event, is there a video of that yet?

I don't want to see anything of the game, because spoilers

tcrunch

There was an off-cam video posted last night (lol) but it was since taken down:

Starting Classes
Starting Gifts
Face Presets

Some other details from it:

+ You can allot estus however you like with
Andre
, ex. if you have 3 orange and 1 blue you can change to 4O 0B or 2O 2B
+ Luck: enhances ability to cause bleed and poison status, enhances item discovery, and enhances curse resistance
+ All stats govern a type of defense and in some cases a type of resistance in addition to their main function, for example VIT governs equip load AND physical defense (I'm not sure if this is placebo-tier governing but there it is), STR is heavy weapon use, attack strength, AND fire defense
+ Stats are described more explicitly, for example DEX outright tells you it reduces fall damage and decreases spellcasting time in addition to its weapon-based functions
+ Using the "coiled sword" from the Iudex Gundyr boss, it appeared the player was able to access at least one new area without having been there - I'm sure someone today will be able to explain more since the guy playing didn't have the best handle on things
+ The intro to the game will be in these videos, the video last night he cut it out
+ Crystal lizards are adorable in this game!
+ The Ashen One (protag) seems to be
someone raised from their burial ground

strafer

So which one of these should I watch? In terms of lore and stuff?

Twitch Streams

Peeve - Starts at 8am CST - 45 minutes of footage and discussion.

Oroboro - Starts at some point today - 45 minutes of footage and discussion.

Lobosjr - Starts at 8am CST - 45 minutes of footage and discussion.[/IMG]

tcrunch

That last spoiler from tcrunch, I want but I don't want to click... Nggh!

It's actually not that big a deal and you can figure it out from looking at the starting classes and gifts I posted, some of the NPC text just makes it even more obvious.

J4g3r

So which one of these should I watch? In terms of lore and stuff?

Twitch Streams

Peeve - Starts at 8am CST - 45 minutes of footage and discussion.

Oroboro - Starts at some point today - 45 minutes of footage and discussion.

Lobosjr - Starts at 8am CST - 45 minutes of footage and discussion.[/IMG]

I know Peeve has held back some item descriptions on purpose because of spoilers, he's more into the PvP side of the games too, though he loves PvE.

Lobos does mostly challenge runs of the Souls series but has recently gotten into PvP. Not sure if he's holding specific content back.

Oroboro I would expect the most spoilers from. PvP-focused like Peeve but loves the PvE too.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Intended for new thread, but I'm just gonna post it here.

As you may have read in the recent trailer thread, there was a Dark Souls III event in Hamburg last week for the European press. It was held in a church, which was a fitting venue to say the least! There was even an organist playing as we entered, and there was a giant knight statue and a replica of Artorias' sword. Even cooler was Miyazaki himself being there to hold a short introduction before we started playing.
I played for about 4 hours and in that time managed to beat the 3 major bosses in the demo. Note: I have not participated in the stress test and haven't read news about the game, so some details may be known already.

First some general gameplay details, then my impression of the demo. There were PS4 and Xbox One demo units available, I played on PS4.

- I played through 2 big areas, the High Wall of Lothric and the Undead Settlement. However there was also a short tutorial area with the first boss, and Firelink Shrine. The Shrine also has Andre (or someone who closely resembled him) and the maiden to level up.
- In this demo at least, leveling could only be done in the hub.
- There are starting gifts of course. I picked a red gem to make a fire weapon, one of the more useful ones.
- A lot of DkS II changes are back. Estus flask shards return, and you can reinforce bonfires again. The more simple style of weapon upgrading also returns.
- Humanity or human effigies are gone, instead there's Embers. If you consume one, you get more health and you're visibly hot & glowing (as seen in the latest trailer). Otherwise Ember behaves like Humanity: in the demo you only get npc invaders if you're 'embered'. Otherwise not. If you beat a boss, you get ember status.
- Ash flasks are for your magic meter, but if you're not a magic user, you can choose to change them into regular flasks. I had one ash flask and 3 estus flasks, but changed that into 4 estus flasks. Works the other way around too of course.
- Covenants obviously return, and in the demo you could even discover the sunbro medal. Changing covenants is done by swapping out medals in the equipment menu. There was a covenant trophy for just picking up the medal.
- Bosses (don't remember names): tutorial area boss is an easy one-on-one affair, Artorias-lite. Second boss is the watchdog with the Smough-like armor, seen in the trailers. He has this annoying frostbite side effect which slows you down if you get close. This fight resembles Blood Starved Beast, as this guy also gets a status effect in his second phase. The third boss is the hardest: a huge living tree that has eggs all around his body you have to destroy. There are multiple phases, of which the first was the hardest. There are still regular enemies helping him and respawning in that phase, so you have to do damage asap. They're gone in the later phases, making the fight easier. This is where I chose to upgrade my weapon to fire, which helped to bring him down. Most other journalists didn't even reach this guy, so I was glad I could take him down.
- Difficulty was what you'd expect, and the classic Souls traps are there. If you see a gang of zombies, you can be pretty sure one will have that RE4-style morph :p

THE GOOD

- Miyazaki said in his presentation that they were going for fewer maps compared to DkS II, but that they would be more complex. This definitely checks out in The High Wall of Lothric, which feels like a more complex Undead Burg. Design-wise this was a more intricate area than the following undead settlement. High Wall has a classic DkS feel to it, especially when you've made progress in the level, and are aching for a shortcut or bonfire.
- The Undead Settlement felt ripped straight out of Bloodborne, enemy designs included. There were fat mages here that felt very similar to the ones in Demon's Souls, complete with insane laugh. They're annoying, because their dark magic (hex) orbs track you.
- Combat feels great, but I didn't mess around with the new skill system that much. I went with the classic shield + sword combo, which only had parrying. If you two hand a weapon or hold one in your left hand, you can use the weapon specific skill. For instance if you 2H a dagger, you can use the BB-esque quickstep. Combined with all the different classes, I'm sure there will be plenty of options for interesting builds this time.

THE BAD

Even though this demo only had early areas, it's all starting to feel very familiar. The High Wall of Lothric is an intricate area, but it again has a fire-breathing dragon and this is all getting a bit old. I never thought I'd say this, but here we are. I hope the later areas offer more original designs, and shy away from the classic templates seen in the other games.

THE UGLY

Framedrops. They are real and they are really ugly. Once I'd found the second boss there was an easy route to beeline to him, but doing that made the framerate drop like you wouldn't believe. Definitely reminded me of Blighttown. This was a pretty open area, but nothing too big. This is just one example, the framerate dropped all over the place during the demo. Frames also dropped whenever a zombie enemy morphed into his Ctulhu-form (these were in BB as well). These drops were a constant and general nuisance in the demo. Discussed this with a few other journalists, they experienced them as well. I'm hoping this will be fixed in the final version, but the build version was 1.01 something, so I'm guessing this is pretty much the build it will ship with (game comes out earlier in Japan). I have no idea if the framedrops happen on Xbox One as well. I was very disappointed to see this though, and I'm definitely planning on playing the pc version now.

When I was done playing, I noticed others had taken screens and even videos, which I didn't know you were allowed to do. I was pretty bummed out about that. I could've recorded a vid of the slowdowns, or taken a screen of the starting gifts/classes and what have you. I will say that I was more focused on seeing as much of the demo as possible, and I definitely succeeded in that.

Little anecdote to close. When we were waiting for our taxi back to the airport in the hotel, we saw Miyazaki casually strolling to the restaurant for breakfast... in his sweatpants, and his hair a total mess. It was pretty funny to see this legend in his morning routine, not giving a fuck. We had to do a double take to make sure it was him.

So that's all I got for now, but if you have questions about stuff I didn't touch on, feel free to ask.

Top Bottom