• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Press Event Discussion: Embargo - 8am CST (03/01/)

Mendrox

I see. How big are the 2 teams?

Dunno hard to say because there were/are definitly Team A and B (you can see/feel that with Dark Souls 2 imo), and I cannot tell you how many people they got from SCEJ for Bloodborne for example, but I guess they have many talented people in their ranks, outsource many art jobs and plan accordingly.

Mutombo

You should spoil this maybe? Not sure. That makes me sad though.

Even though my preference goes to Dark Souls world as well, i can't say I care that much. Shortcuts exist within Demon Souls' world as well, and Demons was awesome. For that matter, same goes for Bloodborne.

Jesus, that
Andre
dialogue is awful. I'm sure it's to make new players understand the mechanics more easily but it really ruins "muh immersion".

Rest looks godly.

Ferr986

Even though my preference goes to Dark Souls world as well, i can't say I care that much. Shortcuts exist within Demon Souls' world as well, and Demons was awesome. For that matter, same goes for Bloodborne.

Bloodborne was open world though.

I mean, this is Dark Souls 3, not Demon's Souls 2, so I don't understand the change (provided it's real).

Jesus, that
Andre
dialogue is awful. I'm sure it's to make new players understand the mechanics more easily but it really ruins "muh immersion".

Rest looks godly.

God forbid they explain the mechanics in-game to people instead of going on message boards/wikis to find out the same information

Jombie

ِAgreed :(

My biggest gripe with Demon's Souls is that the levels feel just like that, levels, and it feels like that in the footage; very restrictive in the first few zones. It's the real reason why you can warp from the onset - you have to. How you get to the Undead Settlement just made me roll my eyes.

spoiler about equipment:
I think he says that you can use, as in Demon's Souls, a boss soul to craft stuff, including a special ring that makes you recover HPs through attacks, basically Bloodborne.

Mutombo

Bloodborne was open world though.

I mean, this is Dark Souls 3, not Demon's Souls 2, so I don't understand the change (provided it's real).

I'm pretty sure you still have to warp to areas from a hub in BB.

And a game can change all they want. Actually, Dark Souls 1 is the only game that is so interconnected. The rest pretty much deals with warping and shortcuts within those worlds.

My biggest gripe with Demon's Souls is that the levels feel just like that, levels, and it feels like that in the footage; very restrictive in the first few zones. It's the real reason why you can warp from the onset - you have to. How you get to the Undead Settlement just made me roll my eyes.

That's the only place that thing happened at though, right? I wouldn't say it's confirmed if so. Could just be something in style with Anor Londo.

Nibel

How do they pump out those games that fast?

Dark Souls 3 uses a lot of assets from the other games, especially for environments. That at least was my first impression and today Eurogamer wrote this

Dark Souls 3 does, at times, feel a little too familiar. Some elements seem recycled from Bloodborne; the Undead Settlement, at certain angles, looks identical to Hemwick Charnel Lane, and comparisons between the High Wall of Lothric and the Undead Berg are pretty much unavoidable. Maybe there are only so many settings dark fantasy can conjure, but it's jarring, when you're fighting off reanimated corpses, to suddenly think, "haven't I seen that chair before?"

Plus they have a big staff, tech they've been using since Demon's Souls more or less and an established gameplay concept

Ferr986

I'm pretty sure you still have to warp to areas from a hub in BB.

And a game can change all they want. Actually, Dark Souls 1 is the only game that is so interconnected. The rest pretty much deals with warping and shortcuts within those worlds.

Both Dark games and BB requires warping at some points, yes, but it's different to have some areas that requires warp that have every area requiring a warp, and basically make it stage based. That only happens in Demon's Souls. Dark 1, 2 and BB the majority of their levels in an openconnected state (BB the less but still).

I already hated the hub being it's own thing on BB, btw Still, BB wasn't DS3 anyways.

Gbraga

I can't believe this shit.

FUCK.

Why would they go in interviews and say it's interconnected if it's not? Fuck everything. RIP Dark Souls III. Someone just kill me already.

FUCK.

Why would they go in interviews and say it's interconnected if it's not? Fuck everything. RIP Dark Souls III. Someone just kill me already.
If that's how you're behaving over a few areas I think it's time to take a break from the series or videogames in general.

That's the only place that thing happened at though, right? I wouldn't say it's confirmed if so. Could just be something in style with Anor Londo.

Vaati mentioned the hub is basically like the Nexus and disconnected from everything. You teleport from there to Lothric High Wall, and then at the the end of that you get flown down to the Undead settlement.

So I mean they're "connected", but its not like you can walk back up there. You need to teleport between the areas, which is probably why the fast travel system is open from the beginning.

I'm sure this probably helped sped along the development, but I'm sure this will disappoint plenty of DS1 purists.

edit: like the drama queen two posts above me, for example

Gbraga

If that's how you're behaving over a few areas I think it's time to take a break from the series or videogames in general.

Not like this, Killer Queen, not like this.

Vaati mentioned the hub is basically like the Nexus and disconnected from everything. You teleport from there to Lothric High Wall, and then at the the end of that you get flown down to the Undead settlement.

So I mean they're "connected", but its not like you can walk back up there. You need to teleport between the areas, which is probably why the fast travel system is open from the beginning.

I'm sure this probably helped sped along the development, but I'm sure this will disappoint plenty of DS1 purists.

I'm not a DS1 purist, they said from the beginning that it was using the Bloodborne structure, and I was more than ok with that. The twist is: It isn't! Bloodborne has some disconnected areas, sure, just like Dark Souls 1 has its fair share too, like the Painted World, Undead Asylum and Anor Londo, but the very first area already needs a cutscene to lead you to the next? That's incredibly disappointing.

Ferr986

FUCK.

We should wait and see a confirmation, maybe that person got it wrong.

No need to call drama queen anyone.

Warping was open from the beginning in BB and DS2 but they still had connected areas. Hell, DS2 areas had iffy connection but still had them even with the development mess the game suffered, so I don't think it has anything to do with speeding development. The only reason I see is just catering to Demon's fans.

Anyways, we should wait and see.

Ah, hmm. I'll live.

Gbraga

We should wait and see a confirmation, maybe that person got it wrong.

No need to call drama queen anyone.

Warping was open from the beginning in BB and DS2 but they still had connected areas. Hell, DS2 areas had iffy connection but still had them, so I don't think it has anything to do with speeding development. The only reason I see is just catering to Demon's fans.

Anyways, we should wait and see.

I understand why you'd be frustrated, but that's quite a bit much especially for something that's not confirmed. Just kinda tone it down a bit before you have a heart attack.

OjZZuBb.jpg

Watching peeve's footage right now. It is definetly ALOT more open than DeS, so i highly doubt it'll feel as linear as that game did.

That coiled sword aspect seems like it's going to mak esome tough decisions- gone is the feather- now you have to decide which limited amount of bonfires you can warp to- wow thats kind of HUGE

FUCK.

Yoshi alt?

I'm not a DS1 purist, they said from the beginning that it was using the Bloodborne structure, and I was more than ok with that. The twist is: It isn't! Bloodborne has some disconnected areas, sure, just like Dark Souls 1 has its fair share too, like the Painted World, Undead Asylum and Anor Londo, but the very first area already needs a cutscene to lead you to the next? That's incredibly disappointing.

Thank you for this more well thought out post, not asking someone to kill you.

Watching peeve's footage right now. It is definetly ALOT more open than DeS, so i highly doubt it'll feel as linear as that game did.

Like I said, the areas themselves seem quite large and diverse. Like Peeve mentioned at the beginning, there's a tower on the east side where you could stop that guy from throwing arrows at you on the way to the Greatwood boss, or NPCs with sidequests you can talk to, secrets weapons/rings/items/equipment to find, etc.

IDK, I think I'm gonna quickly get over the fact that I can't walk back Stage 2 from Stage 3, as it were if the actual gameplay areas are quality.

That coiled sword aspect seems like it's going to mak esome tough decisions- gone is the feather- now you have to decide which limited amount of bonfires you can warp to- wow thats kind of HUGE

That seemed to be a one-time thing. In all the other footage, you can warp from any bonfire to anywhere(so no more warping back to the Nexus just to warp somewhere else like BB at least).

Gbraga

Good lord, this brings back my horrible experiences with Bloodborne at launch, still don't know why I could stand at long ass loading with that boring screen

It was easy to deal with on my first playthrough because I just took the time to think about what I was going through at the moment. A LOT to process, but after that it was painful. Even with the patch it can still be a bit too long.

I hope the loading times on PC are fast like in Dark 1 and 2. Probably a bit slower due to the increased asset quality, but it should still be much faster than Bloodborne.

Manu

I'm fine with what I've seen from the world design since these areas look huge, with tons of exploration and side paths.

Faith in From remains intact.

Adry9

Well, that's exactly how Dark Souls 1 started, so it shouldn't be indicative of anything. Honestly, as long as the areas are bigger than the ones in DS2 and feel well placed I think it would be ok.

Gbraga

Well, that's exactly how Dark Souls 1 started, so it shouldn't be indicative of anything. Honestly, as long as the areas are bigger than the ones in DS2 and feel well placed I think it would be ok.

Dude played the game for 5 hours and beat 3 bosses. Not a single area could be walked to, it's really not comparable to the fact that the intro area is separated from the rest of the world in Dark Souls. We actually already knew the intro was also separated in Dark III, and I also didn't mind that.

It's more like not being able to walk from Central Yharnam to Cathedral Ward.

We absolutely do not know anything about PC port. It could be great, it could be the worst thing ever.

Chances are 50-50. For sure it's a different engine than Dark Souls 2, so the fact it was good is really no guarantee of what happens with DS3.

We just don't know/can't guess.

Dude played the game for 5 hours and beat 3 bosses. Not a single area could be walked to, it's really not comparable to the fact that the intro area is separated from the rest of the world in Dark Souls. We actually already knew the intro was also separated in Dark III, and I also didn't mind that.
Could have been a way to lock out players from wandering too far.

It was also said there are significantly less areas in the whole game. So we also don't know how the whole game will feel.

Top Bottom