• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City - Launch Trailer

Kudo

I wonder how this will feel after playing Nioh?

(Not trying to troll...I love the Souls games...But Nioh really took the combat to another level).

It'll be fine, combat against normal mobster could feel like a drag but bosses are very exciting in Souls-games too, and the sense of adventure/discovery is unmatched.

kaos.

It was never said that would happen, but if you have Season Pass or Ariandel you can use the PvP maps. Which are based on pre-existing areas, I think someone said there are more than will unlock on Tuesday that are presumably from the Ringed City.

Thanks.
I asked because i saw this picture:

vRTQm3w.jpg

and i was getting on the hype train.

Gbraga

He means combat

Level design can make a difference in combat, too.

The Capra Demon is a memorable and difficult boss fight entirely because of the arena and enemy placement, not the boss' moveset.

I personally don't get this "can't play Souls after Nioh" mentality at all. Did Souls/Nioh fans never play Ninja Gaiden or DMC? Maybe they should.

Ferr986

It was never said that would happen, but if you have Season Pass or Ariandel you can use the PvP maps. Which are based on pre-existing areas, I think someone said there are more than will unlock on Tuesday that are presumably from the Ringed City.

There's no more arenas that what we got today so far.

I personally don't get this "can't play Souls after Nioh" mentality at all. Did Souls/Nioh fans never play Ninja Gaiden or DMC? Maybe they should.

yeah, I have no problem going back and forth between Nioh and DS3 (well, other than adjusting for half the framerate lol).

Kudo

yeah, I have no problem going back and forth between Nioh and DS3 (well, other than adjusting for half the framerate lol).

They're different type of genres for me, Nioh is clearly Action Adventure JRPG whilst Souls is Adventure JRPG, and I play them in different mindsets.
So yeah, I have no problem playing both either and I run both at their max fps too.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
This is by far is the most interesting thing in the trailer:
semttulo7uube.png

Gywn and...the Pygmy?

And a nice view of the world:
semttulo2imumv.png

You can see the Ringed City, Lothric and Irithyll

Shredderi

semttulo7uube.png

Gywn and...the Pygmy?

semttulo2imumv.png

The world looks apocalyptically barren in that shot. I love it. I want to play this DLC for the lore implications alone but I don't have the time to drag my character from fucking tree boss to where you have to enter the dlc area ;_;

I wonder how this will feel after playing Nioh?

(Not trying to troll...I love the Souls games...But Nioh really took the combat to another level).

I played a little of Dark Souls 3 the other day for the first time since Nioh came out. Biggest issue I had was just getting used to the control scheme again. I kept pressing square when I wanted to attack. The dodging and movement speed felt a little on the slow side, too. I will say though that I think DS3 has better designed environments.

semttulo2imumv.png

Neat. we actually get to see this place from the intro, which I was hoping to see in the game when it released. No-one knew what it was but most suspected it was an old, broken Anor Londo.

god, I love the aesthetic here, the grey ash and clouds with the golden yellow light pouring down. So good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
really wish I hadnt gone into NG+ ffs >_<

Jombie

I wish they had come up with a more creative way of accessing the dlc other than an out of place looking bonfire.

Goldboy

Trying so hard to resist watching this. This will be the first piece of Souls content since DS1 that I've gone into completely blind. So excited.

semttulo2imumv.png

So, I'm not the only one who thinks the sand/ash-swept dunes etc remind them of the Kiln of the First Flame from DS1? With the way Lapp mentions how it gives credence to the old rumours that the Ringed City sits "beneath it all", kinda like the idea of the world being:

Lothric/Drangleic/Lordran etc = Ground Floor

Ringed City = Basement

Abyss = B2 and so on...

Well, it's probably been speculated but I wonder if it means more like the Kiln exists outside of spacetime, at least in the way Lothric etc exist, and instead it's a separate plane of reality.

Also considering the bonfire icon for *no name*
the final boss
shows the building with the Sword of Avowal in the background, there's a good chance that it is Gwyn giving a crown to the Four Kings of New Londo, rather than becoming BFFs with the Furtive Pygmy.

Captcha

Please have some kind of resolution or at least give us the tools to draw some reasonable conclusions. One of my biggest disappointments with the base game is they didn't resolve much and added some new stuff on top (the fuck is the deep?).

Please have some kind of resolution or at least give us the tools to draw some reasonable conclusions. One of my biggest disappointments with the base game is they didn't resolve much and added some new stuff on top (the fuck is the deep?).

From the sounds of the leaks there will be plenty of food for thought, in as much as we will be left to draw our own conclusions (as ever), but it feels like wayyyy more significant and bigger lore stuff than the base game. Items, weapons, bosses etc all suggest its a big deal.

If you want to know about the Pygmy or the Dark Soul for instance...

Toxi

Banned
semttulo7uube.png

Gywn and...the Pygmy?
Considering the Ringed City was
given to the Pygmies by Gwyn,
it might be a symbolic representation of that gesture.

Why would he be crowning the pygmy?

I was thinking New Londo Kings.
If it were the Four Kings, I feel like you'd see four of them.

Yeah, I thought the same.

The only way that could be the pygmy would be if he takes the crown from him, but it doesn't look that way.
I mean, there's also the possibility the giant donkey snake who lives in the Abyss and leads a covenant of life-draining murderers clad in skeleton armor is not 100% trustworthy.

Considering the Ringed City was
given to the Pygmies by Gwyn,
it might be a symbolic representation of that gesture.

If it were the Four Kings, I feel like you'd see four of them.

I mean, there's also the possibility the giant donkey snake who lives in the Abyss and leads a covenant of life-draining murderers clad in skeleton armor is not 100% trustworthy.

RE your first point...

Apparently that's another translation gaffe.

Iirc, in the japanese dialogue it says the Ringed City was
built to contain the Pygmies
rather than "gifted", and some of the dialogue mentions that the
Gods built walls to contain it
...so not only does that introduce a snafu in the english trailer, but also makes Gwyn even more of a "World's Worst Dad" nominee.

Toxi

Banned
RE your first point...

Apparently that's another translation gaffe.

Iirc, in the japanese dialogue it says the Ringed City was
built to contain the Pygmies
rather than "gifted", and some of the dialogue mentions that the
Gods built walls to contain it
...so not only does that introduce a snafu in the english trailer, but also makes Gwyn even more of a "World's Worst Dad" nominee.
Huh. Yeah, that definitely rules out my idea of the statue then.

Maybe the statue is propaganda designed to make
Gwyn containing the people of the city
more palatable? Portraying it as a
gift
instead of a
prison
?

Or alternatively, maybe this is a legitimate "Depends on your point of view" thing. The dialogue you mention is one POV of the event, and the statue would be the other. From loves that sort of thing.

Huh. Yeah, that definitely rules out my idea of the statue then.

Maybe the statue is propaganda designed to make
Gwyn containing the people of the city
more palatable? Portraying it as a
gift
instead of a
prison
?

Or alternatively, maybe this is a POV thing.

Yeah. On a certain level the player characters throughout the entire series have been victims of information manipulation. A thematic element is repeated in line with past characters such as
Maiden Astraea and Quelaag's Sister
with (mild RC spoilers?)
Filianore
so it could be that despite the City being built for a purpose, it took on a new meaning for its citizens.

WHAT

holy shit

See two posts above yours.

As to the discussion immediately above this post, it is an interesting point that the statue could represent a much more embellished history than the reality. Especially with the statues of the silver knights in the background - that feels more like something the citizens of Anor Londo would make than anyone else.

Curiously as well, one of the voices in the trailer mentions that the city is 'below it all'. As in... on the same level as the arch-trees and ash lake? Or perhaps lower still?

Maddocks

parts of every age, something I have wanted to experience since beating the game. Love how it is now possible by watching the trailer. Time to go back and become ash once again.

A 'Launch Trailer' should drop on the day of release. Otherwise it's just a trailer. Disappointing after thinking it means the expansion is out.

I dunno. I took a squiz at the leaks and all I'm seeing are naff armour sets and weapons that are cOoL, rather than cool.

I think I've just hit saturation point something shocking. I think the fact that I so readily spoiled myself says it all.

That being said, I'll definitely jump in for the final rodeo of a series that redefined video games in my eyes.

Audioboxer

Not only the last DLC for Dark Souls III, but also the last content we'll (presumably) be getting for the entire Dark-franchise (?).

RIP, sweet prince. Really looking forward to this (will start next Friday).

Yoshi 1st post in Dark Souls topic, justice delivered.

I've still to play the first DLC still! Kind of happy I waited to get all the extra content at once and do a new playthrough on a fresh character.

aeolist

Banned
i got the season pass with the game but haven't touched any of the DLC or played at all since i beat NG+ post-launch

should i roll a new character for this? how do you get to the DLC levels?

Top Bottom