• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City |OT| One Last Journey

uYDSW0ll.jpg

FvRfIxml.jpg

im really enjoying it so far. it is like the ending areas of Dark Souls 1 & 3 but extended to full a level

Soodanim

Hmm, it's decision time for me. My first character is level 130-140, but NG+++ if I'm not mistaken. So well equipped, but going straight into a harder mode. Or I could carry on one of my abandoned or new saves, which are mostly themed but unfinished and low level.

I recently started a hollow/luck/Anri's sword character but Zelda got in the way and that was that. Although it doesn't help thematically that I killed the hollows of Londor storyline. If I haven't initiated NG+++ on my best one maybe I should do the DLC there, as that was a hollow play through.

Edzi

So far, gameplay wise this feels like the most gimmicky Souls content ever. I've finished the first boss and I think I'm a fair bit into the second area, and I don't know why they decided they should make an entire DLC around the shitty "run and hide" mechanic they've used a few times before.

Outside of that though, I'm liking the areas and potential lore implications I'm seeing so far.

convo

So far, gameplay wise this feels like the most gimmicky Souls content ever. I've finished the first boss and I think I'm a fair bit into the second area, and I don't know why they decided they should make an entire DLC around the shitty "run and hide" mechanic they've used a few times before.

Outside of that though, I'm liking the areas and potential lore implications I'm seeing so far.

Well it's a really nicely designed level for running around and hiding in.Like i said it's more of a puzzle to figure out than a straight forward combat encounter. Fighting a Darkwraith or Blackknight is awesome but these situations you have to figure out by observing the enviroment is really fun to me who isn't all that skilled.

Derpot

God, I played it from midnight until 4:30 AM, I'm tired now lol.
And I couldn't sleep because I was thinking too much about the lore, it's so confusing.
I think I reached the final boss
Gael
, but I need to check some areas before I come back to it.

Yeah I admit, I got frustrated a lot about the "hide and seek" approach, but I think it was partly my fault because I tried to run blindly to find a way. However, during the first minutes, I cannot say I had a lot of fun with
dodging the goddamn angels' attacks
. I died like 10 times in one minute only because of that lol.

First boss spoilers:

COME ON. THAT FIRST PHASE WAS MORE THAN ENOUGH.

same reaction... i only had two estus flask left when i beat this monstrosity, and then he power up again? i don't know how to handle the first phase to get enough flask for the second... the three phase of friede didn't bother me, but here i really struggle! And i do really few damage to it, even with a weapon that has 600 damage stat

zogged

1st boss spoilers

im probably just salty right now but god damn that felt bullshit as fuck
yeah I this boss really did not leave a good impression, I really don't think From has managed to make any of this style of boss enjoyable since DS 1.

In fact I feel that the sheer number of multi phase bosses in 3 has left them feeling more like a chore. Killing the first two demons already takes a while, and the prince is takes even longer cause he spends all the damn time flying. They weren't even hard fights, just tedious to get through especially when I kept getting 1-shot by the non-horizontal laser and had to take it from the top.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
yeah I this boss really did not leave a good impression, I really don't think From has managed to make any of this style of boss enjoyable since DS 1.

In fact I feel that the sheer number of multi phase bosses in 3 has left them feeling more like a chore. Killing the first two demons already takes a while, and the prince is takes even longer cause he spends all the damn time flying. They weren't even hard fights, just tedious to get through especially when I kept getting 1-shot by the non-horizontal laser and had to take it from the top.
The reason they need to be designed this way is because of how much the estus flask can be powered up in this game. The player has a potential health pool that is so large that encounter length has to be upped to compensate.

Derpot

First boss spoilers:

COME ON. THAT FIRST PHASE WAS MORE THAN ENOUGH.

When I got killed by the two demons during 1st phase on my first try, I said "fuck it" and summoned NPCs. And when we managed to kill them and when I noticed I could still lock on the demon, I was like "... it's not over, uh?"

Goddammit lol.

Edzi

lol, the second boss. Why does the game decide to spawn a
nimble painting guardian to help the invader? I'm guessing it just expects you to summon help or something.

EDIT: This is bullshit.

This optional boss is boring af!

Shit-ton of hp, lots of running around trying to hit some parts of him without lock-on...

This is some really shitty boss design, it's like they don't even understand the strenghts and weaknesses of their own game.

I don't understand why From insists in having bosses like this.

jb1234

same reaction... i only had two estus flask left when i beat this monstrosity, and then he power up again? i don't know how to handle the first phase to get enough flask for the second... the three phase of friede didn't bother me, but here i really struggle! And i do really few damage to it, even with a weapon that has 600 damage stat

When I got killed by the two demons during 1st phase on my first try, I said "fuck it" and summoned NPCs. And when we managed to kill them and when I noticed I could still lock on the demon, I was like "... it's not over, uh?"

Goddammit lol.

What's frustrating is what little damage my sword does to him. I hate these DS bosses that have ridiculous amounts of HP. Just prolongs the battle needlessly.

Derpot

lol, the second boss. Why does the game decide to spawn a
nimble painting guardian to help the invader? I'm guessing it just expects you to summon help or something.

I killed this boss on my first try. Wasn't hard but I think it was okay. It wasn't the same challenge as the first boss, that's for sure haha

convo

Goddammit lol.

The Npc summons are the best. I nearly beat that boss on my first try with one of them but then he died and i was so sad.

zogged

The reason they need to be designed this way is because of how much the estus flask can be powered up in this game. The player has a potential health pool that is so large that encounter length has to be upped to compensate.

Two let you get your estus pretty damn high and non of the main bosses of the dlc needed to be health sponges to make them interesting to fight. I still haven't gone before it but that's a fight that I found pretty tedious. Also besides nameless king (another boss ai found boring as hell) most of the late game bosses in 3 where pretty well balanced when it came to encounter length

Derpot

The Npc summons are the best. I nearly beat that boss on my first try with one of them but then he died and i was so sad.

Lapp helped a lot, but poor Uncle Gael died during the second phase D:

What's frustrating is what little damage my sword does to him. I hate these DS bosses that have ridiculous amounts of HP. Just prolongs the battle needlessly.

That's funny because
usually DS3 bosses don't have a lot of HP compared to Bloodborne bosses for example. But yeah, Demon Prince was a bit too much, especially as a second phase.

Roussow

I got through it, but that last stretch before the bonfire placed before the first boss felt like pure luck. I'm curious, is there an easier way to do the "run" in this first area?
I put away all my excess gear before starting the dlc, so I forgot that magic resist gear might reduce the angel(?) damage, although I never tried it, most of the run is fine as long as you bait the curse attack, but that last loop around the high tree branch before dropping seemed pretty fucked in any scenario, anyone try killing the Angel creatures? They seemed more difficult to take down than most enemies of that type.

Kinsei

Banned
I got through it, but that last stretch before the bonfire placed before the first boss felt like pure luck. I'm curious, is there an easier way to do the "run" in this first area?
I put away all my excess gear before starting the dlc, so I forgot that magic resist gear might reduce the angel(?) damage, although I never tried it, most of the run is fine as long as you bait the curse attack, but that last loop around the high tree branch before dropping seemed pretty fucked in any scenario, anyone try killing the Angel creatures? They seemed more difficult to take down than most enemies of that type.

You're meant to
kill one of the creatures summoning the angels to make the run easier.

convo

This dlc should be End game level anyway, so i brace myself for the worst by leveling .
I beat AoA with a summon, and my attempts at the boss weren't much of a struggle since i had time to spare. How many are trying to beat everything today? I am much too anxious to even start finishing things. I have left NK for when i have been hardened by the dlc and laugh at him when i come back.

Kyzon

Just spent an hour helping people run around so I could grind 625925 souls to heal my dark sigil.

Fashion will reign supreme

Ferr986

Unless you're a caster lol

Edzi

Um, okay. Third boss, how
is the second phase not total BS? Constant AOEs and tracking lightning? Am I missing something?

Kinsei

Banned
I just took out the optional boss. I didn't like that fight at all.

Um, okay. Third boss, how
is the second phase not total BS? Constant AOEs and tracking lightning? Am I missing something?

I thought his second phase was easier than the first. His moves are much more predictable in order to make his double hits fair.

Edzi

I just took out the optional boss. I didn't like that fight at all.

I thought his second phase was easier than the first. His moves are much more predictable in order to make his double hits fair.

I take it you never got surrounded by the energy attacks then. His normal attacks aren't really the problem.

I'm also on NG+ or ++ I think, and he's quite the damage sponge.

Shadic7700

Currently beat the first boss wtf with this zone too many of those
Huge machete guys
how to I even get through this
swamp of everlasting terror and giants also f those cinder knights

Derpot

Huge machete guys

Personally, I just ran.
I think I have never run so much playing DS lol.

Kinsei

Banned
I guess I'm done with the expansion?
The lady that wanted me to kill the dragon won't talk to me now that I've done it. Is this normal?

Huge machete guys

There's a side path that lets you avoid them.

Would you guys say that Dark Souls III is more difficult than Bloodborne?

Less difficult.

Edzi

Only on NG+ lvl 140+ and the third boss can one shot me while being a massive damage sponge. FROM really sucks with their balancing beyond regular NG.

I think I'm gonna call it a night. I'm liking the environments and all, but this DLC has been incredibly aggravating thus far.

I'm calling it now, the Ringed City is the most beautiful looking environment in a Souls game. FromSoft has really outdone themselves.

Nev

Banned
Plus Dark Souls (still my favorite for amazing first half) has issues at the end whereas the last few levels of DS2 (Drangelic, Shrine, Tomb, and whole Dragon loop) are among the best in the series.

Among the best in the series? Holy, you must have some low standards.

Drangleic Castle is a convoluted mess with recycled enemies, recycled boss and annoying mechanics. Not to mention it makes absolutely no sense as a supposedly real location.

Shrine of Amana is quite possibly the worst area in the entire franchise for obvious reasons. The boss, while cool looking, is completely out of place and is easier than a cyclop.

Undead Crypt is small, makes little sense and has the obnoxious bells with the blocked paths. There's nothing interesting to it. The buffed Garl Vinland boss poses about the same threat as a giant knight.

Aldia's Keep is a literal corridor. The dragon boss is a complete joke. Probably the worst boss in the game.

Dragon Aerie is not even an area, it's a bunch of loot zones with dormant dragons and annoying, out of place, lazily designed exploding mummies connected by some bridges.

Dragon Shrine is, again, barely an area. There's a few giant knights which you have to cheese because they have infinite stamina and there's the bullshit ancient dragon.

Throne of Want is a hallway, Throne Defenders are unsurprisingly terrible bosses and Nashandra would be awful if she was the boss of the huntsman copse, let alone the final boss. The Scholar was a somewhat decent fight at least, but that was added later.

I fail to see what's good about this last part of the game –or any of it really–, I guess it looks nice? A lot of times you need to look beyond pretty graphix.

Majin Boo

First area and first boss down, but man, being Lv 70, wearing Prisoner's Chain and having 14 Vigor doesn't make this easy...

Aikidoka

I think the DLC has been fine for the most part. enemies are all assholes, for the better, and the level design is pretty great. Bosses though, haven't really impressed and holy shit
that dragon was the dumbest creature I have ever encountered. How many times can you fall for the hide behind the rock gag!!!???

My overall impression will depend on how satisfying and conclusive the story is. Currently, it's pretty lackluster and not doing too much. Even though it's finally about the pygmy, I'm not sure it really says much interesting or worthwhile about it. No gravitas for what is supposed to be the last of Dark Souls. Maybe once I've slept had spent more time thinking/talking about it, I'll change my mind.

Kudo

This optional boss is boring af!

Shit-ton of hp, lots of running around trying to hit some parts of him without lock-on...

This is some really shitty boss design, it's like they don't even understand the strenghts and weaknesses of their own game.

I don't understand why From insists in having bosses like this.

Agreed. Just finished the DLC and
didn't beat this boss yet
One-shot attacks with a boss that has health for hours
are just plain endurance rounds.

Alright, I've been grinding my nose against the second boss for at least an hour now to no avail. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with
PvP bullshittery? I just don't know how to manage what feels like overwhelming odds stacked in the opponent's favor!
I'll be the first to admit that I'm
not the best at PvP
but this is literally tormenting me with my own scrubbery.

I was going to hold off on this until the weekend.

But all the impressions are making me hyped. Hopefully I can play a bit tonight

Good to hear it's a bit difficult. I found the base game and first DLC to be way too easy

Top Bottom