• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City |OT| One Last Journey

taoofjord

Really enjoying it so far! Just got to the first boss. I'm really hoping we get some interesting lore by the end. Slightly disappointed in the look of the first area in how similar it is to BB's first area in The Old Hunters. Kinda continues the trend of DS3 following in BB's footsteps but whatever.

No issue at all with the enemy people are talking about. Just worry about fully exploring the areas after you kill them permanently. Oh and first NPC was great. The new weapons are sweet so far.

FUCK THE SPEAR OF THE CHURCH. FUCK THE SPEAR OF THE CHURCH. FUCK THE SPEAR OF THE CHURCH. WHY THE HELL AM I DOING A LAGGY PVP BOSS FIGHT IN THE MAIN GAME!!! FUCK THE SPEAR OF THE CHURCH.

Loving the DLC so far apart from that, I enjoyed the first boss a lot. I noticed elements of Darklurker in the second phase. Can someone clarify whether
Spear of the Church is the optional boss
?

Not surprised by the negative vibe in the topic. It is Dark Souls III DLC. No matter how people want to pretend it's a beloved game...I'll see for myself when I get there with my build of choice. Ashes was fantastic IMO, so I expect to love it. Dark Souls III and Bloodborne best Souls game. YOLO!
Where are you getting this...?

Havel

FUCK THE SPEAR OF THE CHURCH. FUCK THE SPEAR OF THE CHURCH. FUCK THE SPEAR OF THE CHURCH. WHY THE HELL AM I DOING A LAGGY PVP BOSS FIGHT IN THE MAIN GAME!!! FUCK THE SPEAR OF THE CHURCH.

Loving the DLC so far apart from that, I enjoyed the first boss a lot. I noticed elements of Darklurker in the second phase. Can someone clarify whether
Spear of the Church is the optional boss
?

It is mandatory

convo

I can't play anymore since it's 7 in the morning,but i wonder what the problem is on PS4.for some people.
I checked and thought with my season pass and the last patch i was good to go. But i had to go to the store and download another 3gb for ringed city so i had to wait for that download to finish lol. I am playing through it on SL 200 and some of these guys are tough as nails.

Ferr986

Not surprised by the negative vibe in the topic. It is Dark Souls III DLC. No matter how people want to pretend it's a beloved game...I'll see for myself when I get there with my build of choice. Ashes was fantastic IMO, so I expect to love it. Dark Souls III and Bloodborne best Souls game. YOLO!

To be fair I'm enjoying (but gonna stop for now, didn't even reach first boss), but the
angel
mechanic is a little heeeh....

It feels like a lot of people is liking it, other than that.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Where are you getting this...?

Look Dark Souls III is my favorite game this generation, above Bloodborne. It's my favorite From Soft game. It's my favorite Miyazaki game. It's a game I platinumed, played over 500 hours of, and will cherish my whole life.

I'm the minority on this. And I know this. Most hated Souls game, and you can all pretend that the pre-release DSII hate is equal to the DSIII hate right now, but no. Never was, never will be. First reactions in this topic about the DLC is how "underwhelming" it is. That hate will just get worse. And again I'm not saying that the hate isn't justified. I have FUCKED UP TASTES. I truly believe that RE6 is a good game. That the Friday the 13th movies are good. I know when I am wrong about something. I know I am wrong about liking DSIII. But shit I just can't help it.

I'll judge the DLC for myself when I get to it. I'll see you all on the other side of the DLC. When I can properly judge for myself. Shit I might hate it after all. Who knows? So I'm outty. If I hate this, then I'll hate it. If I love it, we'll....I'm used to being alone in liking stuff.

Anyway, y'all take care. Praise the sun. Don't give up skeleton. Tongue but hole. Amen!

convo

To be fair I'm enjoying (but gonna stop for now, didn't even reach first boss), but the
angel
mechanic is a little heeeh....

It feels like a lot of people is liking it, other than that.

I miss those guys now, i figured out their deal relativly quickly i guess and now the first are is more of a cakewalk with none of them around. Never before have i felt the urge to make a helpful video for others to get through that easier than now, my scrub status feels somehow vindicated now but my video skills remain at 0.

burgerdog

First boss down at lv65 and buggy ass nvidia overlay stopped streaming. Great, great first boss. Hoping the rest are just as good.

The first boss is pretty great.

Instead of progressing, I've just been co-oping this boss for the past hour. I put my sign down, and in half a second I'm being summoned.

not the same for me., been waiting around for ages to be summoned... but my lvl is 130 dou ng++

Havel

Oh my good god. This is the WORST. What a neat, but terribly executed idea. Keep the modes separate please. I hate Dark Souls 3 pvp :(.

If you start the game in offline mode then it spawns an AI invader instead. It is the same one every time I think

If you start the game in offline mode then it spawns an AI invader instead. It is the same one every time I think

Thank you, I've run into way too many griefers on PC. The lag also made it impossible to tell if I was actually hitting the person half the time.

convo

how to kill that anoying
flying white butterfly which he fires projectiles at you?

There is always
a larva lady somewhere on the map where if you kill that, the butterfly disappears forever
. You need to be on lookout for them since they hide in tricky places.

lol this armor

C7-xvvuW0AEqqYO.jpg

Boob Souls
finally!

Garl

Neo Member
Alright, I think I'm close to the second boss, and that's it for tonight.

I'm really not feeling the level and encounter design. Maybe I'm just resisting change, but I'm honestly not liking it at all. I need to try it on regular NG after that to see how it goes, maybe it's better.

The first boss was amazing though, so I'm very excited to fight the rest. I'm not sure I even care about the lore anymore.

I played it on NG, and I feel the same way. This is probably my least favorite souls DLC. The enemies really made exploration feel like a huge slog. Also, a couple of the bosses feel like they have too much health.

Kinsei

Banned
I just beat the first boss. GOD DAMN! That was simply amazing. I managed to take it out first try (SL99 on regular NG) but it was by the skin of my teeth.

Edzi

Still in one of the first areas, but man is it disappointing how Miyazaki/FROM forgot how to make legitimately challenging games and now just resort to cheap projectile spam and mobs.

Look Dark Souls III is my favorite game this generation, above Bloodborne. It's my favorite From Soft game. It's my favorite Miyazaki game. It's a game I platinumed, played over 500 hours of, and will cherish my whole life.

I'm the minority on this. And I know this. Most hated Souls game, and you can all pretend that the pre-release DSII hate is equal to the DSIII hate right now, but no. Never was, never will be. First reactions in this topic about the DLC is how "underwhelming" it is. That hate will just get worse. And again I'm not saying that the hate isn't justified. I have FUCKED UP TASTES. I truly believe that RE6 is a good game. That the Friday the 13th movies are good. I know when I am wrong about something. I know I am wrong about liking DSIII. But shit I just can't help it.

I'll judge the DLC for myself when I get to it. I'll see you all on the other side of the DLC. When I can properly judge for myself. Shit I might hate it after all. Who knows? So I'm outty. If I hate this, then I'll hate it. If I love it, we'll....I'm used to being alone in liking stuff.

Anyway, y'all take care. Praise the sun. Don't give up skeleton. Tongue but hole. Amen!

????
What?
There are a few posts that say they're underwhelmed, all the other ones are positive to overwhelmingly positive as are the reviews. Its never been in the minority to like Dark Souls III or to like Dark Souls III over 2, it's generally accepted or expected.

Honestly I don't know what you're seeing, but at this point I'm just going to assume it's pure delusion. I might not have been a member of GAF when Dark Souls 2 launched, but I lurked and anyone who was there will tell you that the negative reactions were far stronger than anything that Dark Souls III garnered to date. And it's not just because of the graphical downgrade. I was one of the few who liked Dark Souls 2, and it got me to revisit Dark Souls 1 but after replaying 1 properly and the release of 3, I see absolutely no reason to go back to that game.

And I think you need to stop being an extremist and incredibly over dramatic. Underwhelmed==hate. There are varrying degrees of emotions that don't mean one extreme or the other. But the fact that you even think the response of Dark Souls III is comparable to that of Dark Souls 2 then you've absolutely no idea what really happened when Dark Souls 2 launched. Even now it's an incredibly divisive game, this isn't pretending, this is reality. Pretending would be imagining that there's some huge hate conspiracy against a game simply because a minority don't love the game, or think it's just "okay".

You've already been told by others that you're incorrect and that your idea of the reception is false. Using a handful of posts to try and prove that point without taking in the popular opinion (which again is positive) is confirmation bias. So I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to ask that you'd stop doing this.

If anything, it comes off that your feelings get hurt because people don't love the game as much as you do and anyone that doesn't love it like you do means they hate it. This is is not how reality works.

And before you accuse me of hating the game too. Dark Souls III is by far my favorite in the series, and I'm getting a dark sign tattood on my back if me stating my love for the game isn't enough for you.

convo

now i found the name of enemy ANGEL.

My advice still stands, that's how you get rid of them. While they shoot at you, hide where you are safe from those blasts and wait. Eventually
they make an aura of light that curses you and you run forward to the next corner they can't hit you
This is about hiding behind cover and running forward. I'd love to give better advice if i had the time.

Whales

Banned
1st boss spoilers

came into the area,saw the two healthbars and was like "great, a ganking boss"

and then whe I realized their gimmick, I found it pretty clever, and the boss was really enjoyable.
Took me a few try and then managed to beat the boss...

or so i thought, this dude had a 2nd phase after that and he literally one shot me with a laser you cant even see coming...

"here, look at how I use my laser horizontally. Got used to dodging it? Well heres a laser straight to your face lol eat shit"

im probably just salty right now but god damn that felt bullshit as fuck

Opa-Pa

Cautiously optimistic for this. Ariandel was a disappointment and this can't be worse, I guess. Still I wish I was confident that this will be a proper sendoff worthy of the series.

But I'll see tomorrow, I guess!

1st boss spoilers

came into the area,saw the two healthbars and was like "great, a ganking boss"

and then whe I realized their gimmick, I found it pretty clever, and the boss was really enjoyable.
Took me a few try and then managed to beat the boss...

or so i thought, this dude had a 2nd phase after that and he literally one shot me with a laser you cant even see coming...

"here, look at how I use my laser horizontally. Got used to dodging it? Well heres a laser straight to your face lol eat shit"

im probably just salty right now but god damn that felt bullshit as fuck

There's a way to change what attacks it uses.
It depends on
which demon you kill first

Though, the one you got is the easier of the two.

Whales

Banned
There's a way to change what attacks it uses.
It depends on
which demon you kill first

Though, the one you got is the easier of the two.

thats cool to know, but I dont remember the one I
killed first

then again I wasnt complaining about
the fact that they had a 2nd form, I was more mad at that fucking impossible to see coming laser

:/

convo

Who at From have the go ahead on the second angel? It's some Bed of Chaos level bullshit.

We are firmly in the phase of "one easy trick" making a huge difference in players experiences. People are getting dark soul-ed right now with new mechanics to figure out. And none of it is actually skill based since i had little problem with them.

really thrilled to play this on a dark and stormy night. as usual it is taking me hours to get anywhere, but i am having a blast!

So, decided to make a new character for the DLC since I haven't played since pre-Ashes...

...Spent an hour making the perfect face, am about to save it to favorites, decide to check what my presets are before overwriting... Don't actually press the select button on any of them, go back...

...And the face was overwritten by one of my previous favorites.

Probably a gripe I should have written about ages ago, but never encountered before.

What the fucking shit, FROMSoft?

Like, seriously, that's no different from hitting "Load Save" in a menu, and it forcing you to load whatever save is presently selected if you decide to back out to the menu instead of actually wanting to load it.

thats cool to know, but I dont remember the one I
killed first

then again I wasnt complaining about
the fact that they had a 2nd form, I was more mad at that fucking impossible to see coming laser

:/
I don't remember either, but one has
The lasers
and the other has
a lot of fireballs and is more aggressive

Toxi

Banned
Still in one of the first areas, but man is it disappointing how Miyazaki/FROM forgot how to make legitimately challenging games and now just resort to cheap projectile spam and mobs.
I too miss the legitimate challenge of Capra Demon and his dogs stunlocking players in an arena the size of a broom closet.

????
What?
There are a few posts that say they're underwhelmed, all the other ones are positive to overwhelmingly positive as are the reviews. Its never been in the minority to like Dark Souls III or to like Dark Souls III over 2, it's generally accepted or expected.

Honestly I don't know what you're seeing, but at this point I'm just going to assume it's pure delusion. I might not have been a member of GAF when Dark Souls 2 launched, but I lurked and anyone who was there will tell you that the negative reactions were far stronger than anything that Dark Souls III garnered to date. And it's not just because of the graphical downgrade. I was one of the few who liked Dark Souls 2, and it got me to revisit Dark Souls 1 but after replaying 1 properly and the release of 3, I see absolutely no reason to go back to that game.

And I think you need to stop being an extremist and incredibly over dramatic. Underwhelmed==hate. There are varrying degrees of emotions that don't mean one extreme or the other. But the fact that you even think the response of Dark Souls III is comparable to that of Dark Souls 2 then you've absolutely no idea what really happened when Dark Souls 2 launched. Even now it's an incredibly divisive game, this isn't pretending, this is reality. Pretending would be imagining that there's some huge hate conspiracy against a game simply because a minority don't love the game, or think it's just "okay".

You've already been told by others that you're incorrect and that your idea of the reception is false. Using a handful of posts to try and prove that point without taking in the popular opinion (which again is positive) is confirmation bias. So I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to ask that you'd stop doing this.

If anything, it comes off that your feelings get hurt because people don't love the game as much as you do and anyone that doesn't love it like you do means they hate it. This is is not how reality works.

And before you accuse me of hating the game too. Dark Souls III is by far my favorite in the series, and I'm getting a dark sign tattood on my back if me stating my love for the game isn't enough for you.

Don't bother, I'm convinced the dude is literally insane.

On topic, I'm 5 hours in and loving it. The level design of the second area is god-tier. Also, I don't understand people crying about
the angels
in the first area.
You move from cover to cover until you find the enemy controlling it, kill them, then explore the area.
It's not rocket science.

Got a character in NG+ that is around lvl 140 - 150 and have done every boss in NG+ except last one. Havent done Ashes of Ariandel with it, think its good to go with both DLC's on this level range?

Or will i get my butt kicked in NG+ DLC?
Have been waiting for both DLC to be released so.

Ferr986

I just can't agree with you. DS2 has been receiving a lot more hate than 3, even talking about the team that made it as something inferior (funnily they did DS3 too but no one says lol B Team with DS3).

Anyways. heading to work, excited for tonight to finally put hours into it!

I miss those guys now, i figured out their deal relativly quickly i guess and now the first are is more of a cakewalk with none of them around. Never before have i felt the urge to make a helpful video for others to get through that easier than now, my scrub status feels somehow vindicated now but my video skills remain at 0.

My problem was the
Earthen Peak
one, he does fire a friggin lost faster than the first one, right? Tbf I went with a caster, low HP, and he could destroy me so fast lol But yeah waiting for that attack kind of made the trick (or atleast gave me time to move lol)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So if I beat Ashes of Ariandel, I can instantly access Ringed City?

Top Bottom