• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Durante

I think this power management could really be the reason, because watching the stats of my graphics card, it's barely used. Can you tell me how to disable power management for the CPU?
Just go to the control panel -> power options.

One question, if I do install the 1.5 but I don't modify the 30 fps limit, will I risk getting banned?
Not more so than with any previous version of the mod. The FPS override stuff is only enabled if the target frame rate is not 30.

After a lot of testing, I've decided to play at 30 FPS. The image quality reduction needed to get a truly stable 60 is not worth it for me (1080p instead of 2160p, reduction in other options), and an almost stable 60 is just terrible every time it drops to 30.

Thrakier

Just go to the control panel -> power options.

You mean the place where you can configure "Höchstleistung" etc.? I don't think that does help. It's a different story for the GPU though, that does change a lot.

Not more so than with any previous version of the mod. The FPS override stuff is only enabled if the target frame rate is not 30.

Do you have any idea why your fix isn't working for me? I set it to 60 but it stays at 30. The other fix is working fine.

After a lot of testing, I've decided to play at 30 FPS. The image quality reduction needed to get a truly stable 60 is not worth it for me (1080p instead of 2160p, reduction in other options), and an almost stable 60 is just terrible every time it drops to 30.

I'd totally go for a truly stable 60FPS but even with settings lower than yours I get drops to 30 on a faster machine. Any idea why? Do you get 60FPS even on the way to Darkroot Basin coming from the blacksmith? I get a lot of drops there. Have to say though that the drops often make no sense. There is one scene with 30FPS and you move the camera just a tiny bit around the character (picture information/scene barely changes) and it goes up to 60 again. Totally weird.

I can run the game at 100-120fps with the latest update, but the movement doesn't work properly. When I run by holding B, my character just moves super slow. Any idea what that could be all about, Durante? The framerate itself is stable and clean.

Thrakier

I can run the game at 100-120fps with the latest update, but the movement doesn't work properly. When I run by holding B, my character just moves super slow. Any idea what that could be all about, Durante? The framerate itself is stable and clean.

What the hell how do you achieve stable 120FPS??

Durante

Do you have any idea why your fix isn't working for me? I set it to 60 but it stays at 30. The other fix is working fine.
It's the exact same code as the other fix, so no idea what's going on there.

I'd totally go for a truly stable 60FPS but even with settings lower than yours I get drops to 30 on a faster machine. Any idea why? Do you get 60FPS even on the way to Darkroot Basin coming from the blacksmith? I get a lot of drops there. Have to say though that the drops often make no sense. There is one scene with 30FPS and you move the camera just a tiny bit around the character (picture information/scene barely changes) and it goes up to 60 again. Totally weird.
That sounds like the issues I had when my GPU spontaneously decided to downclock itself. Did you try monitoring your GPU frequency?

120 FPS (or other really high settings) seems to mess with the engine.

Thrakier

It's the exact same code as the other fix, so no idea what's going on there.

But the original code is using a dx9 wrapper?

That sounds like the issues I had when my GPU spontaneously decided to downclock itself. Did you try monitoring your GPU frequency?

Yes, it's at constant 915mhz (base clock without boost, 660TI). So you are saying that you can run Darkroots Basin with constant 60FPS (also effects like dieing enemies or firescrolls included) @1080p and moderate settings? Because if that's the case, there must be something wrong with my system. We both own a 660TI but I got an overclocked i5.

Gvaz

Banned
Except people have done the same/worse with GTA4/FO3 and that's been out for years now.

Oh and cheating around in Batman AC (which has notorious cheat protection).

So yeah I say that's good enough to say they won't do jack crap.

Damn, still don't get a steady 60 with Elder Scrolls AO. Had to turn off supersampling to go above 30 as well.
Meh. 30 is good enough for me in this game.

Hzoltan69

I'm honestly not a fan of most of the style changing texture mods released so far. The game has a very unique look. Personally I just use mods that improve the font/HUD resolution or the resolution of very low-res in-game textures (such as spiderwebs) while being faithful to the source material.

I'm with you there. All this game needs for perfection are hi-res replacements of the *original* textures.

_machine

Except people have done the same/worse with GTA4/FO3 and that's been out for years now.

Not to mentioned you'd expect them to ban those that are actually cheating, IE cheat engine modifying.

NBtoaster

If I get in trouble I'm blaming you :p

Doubt my CPU can manage, but I'm too tempted to try..

Gvaz

Banned
The engine is too poorly optimized anyways for you to get a consistent 60fps but, once you go 60fps it's hard to go back.

NBtoaster

Managed to get O+S at a shaky 60fps by dropping to 720p and with everything else turned off. Not really worth it.

Though I had an issue where it wouldn't let me attack, hope its not related.

pa22word

So glad to see the 60 FPS mod in this version. Playing @ 1600 x 900 with no goodies to maintain a stable 60 in most areas, but honestly I'd take 640 x 480 for 60 FPS. I'll take enhanced gameplay over pretty visuals any day, especially in a game like Dark Souls. To each his own, though.

ElFly

So glad to see the 60 FPS mod in this version. Playing @ 1600 x 900 with no goodies to maintain a stable 60 in most areas, but honestly I'd take 640 x 480 for 60 FPS. I'll take enhanced gameplay over pretty visuals any day, especially in a game like Dark Souls. To each his own, though.

Already done with the game, but man, I may try to go for a 640x480@60fps run, just for kicks. e:853x480 to keep the 16:9

Played Demon on a CRT back then, so I the interface should be still usable.

Like I said, it's the game not the computer. You're basically brute forcing it.

I wonder if it is the PS3 oriented engine. Was just talking yesterday about how the CPU helped the GPU in a lot of PS3 games, and I wonder if the same thing is happening here.

Durante, thanks for all your hard work. DSFix has come a long way, and I've been enjoying the game more with each update.

And now some more 60fps questions. Anyone have tips on how to find that perfect balance to get the game running at 60fps? I have an i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz, and a 560Ti 448 Core @ 850/1700/2100. More than any other game, my GPU skips up and down like crazy depending on where I am, and what angle I'm viewing things at. It's either 40% GPU usage and 30fps or 80% usage and smooth 60fps. If I set things too fancy, the game just crawls to 15 (or lower!) fps. There's no nice stable 70% and constant 60fps, unfortunately.

So, is there any way to force my GPU to maintain at least 60% usage? I feel like the game would run at a smooth 60fps, then.

edit: Welp, actually reading the previous posts I see I'm not the only one having problems. Sorry about these redundant 60fps concerns.

Thrakier

Durante, thanks for all your hard work. DSFix has come a long way, and I've been enjoying the game more with each update.

And now some more 60fps questions. Anyone have tips on how to find that perfect balance to get the game running at 60fps? I have an i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz, and a 560Ti 448 Core @ 850/1700/2100. More than any other game, my GPU skips up and down like crazy depending on where I am, and what angle I'm viewing things at. It's either 40% GPU usage and 30fps or 80% usage and smooth 60fps. If I set things too fancy, the game just crawls to 15 (or lower!) fps. There's no nice stable 70% and constant 60fps, unfortunately.

So, is there any way to force my GPU to maintain at least 60% usage? I feel like the game would run at a smooth 60fps, then.

edit: Welp, actually reading the previous posts I see I'm not the only one having problems. Sorry about these redundant 60fps concerns.

You can force it via energy settings (maximum performance instead of adaptive) though that doesn't help much. I guess it's just the game. I have the same system as you besides a 660TI and I still get drops to 30FPS even with low DSFIX settings. No chance to remain a constant 60 for me.

doomquake

Here I am falling through the map at 60 fps!

Es2Vk.jpg

this happened after i got off a ladder near the rats under the red drake bridge

gogogow

Anyone know how to backup your save file? Where is it stored and will it work if I move it to another PC?

C drive: users/yourname/my documents/NBGI/Darksouls/username/

I think it should work if you log into your GFWL account. You could always try it out.

Sullichin

I still have to set my resolution to 2560x1440 to get any sort of performance with the 60fps patch, or my 7870 goes in low power mode (I think) and it runs at 5fps. At this resolution downsampled to 1080 I can run at 60fps for a few seconds at a time but then it's really choppy. Amazingly smooth when it is 60fps though, wow.

Thrakier

I still have to set my resolution to 2560x1440 to get any sort of performance with the 60fps patch, or my 7870 goes in low power mode (I think) and it runs at 5fps. At this resolution downsampled to 1080 I can run at 60fps for a few seconds at a time but then it's really choppy. Amazingly smooth when it is 60fps though, wow.

You get a constant 60FPS without any drops even in Darkroots basin?

CatPee

Sigh, I'm getting addicted to all of these cosmetic texture changes. Banged-up Hylian Shield, red Uchigatana, better grass, blue Elite Knight armor, boobies for Quelaag, etc. It's all just piling up.

By the way, anyone know if these have an effect on the ability to play MP? I haven't seen any summon signs from other players or been invaded since using them.

Gvaz

Banned
Sigh, I'm getting addicted to all of these cosmetic texture changes. Banged-up Hylian Shield, red Uchigatana, better grass, blue Elite Knight armor, boobies for Quelaag, etc. It's all just piling up.

By the way, anyone know if these have an effect on the ability to play MP? I haven't seen any summon signs from other players or been invaded since using them.
Nope, it shouldn't. This is just injecting textures basically. Durante however did a sort of "redirect" where instead of loading the texture from where it usually loads, it loads it from the folder instead.

Durante

There's most likely no relation between that and the texture mods. The game code doesn't even notice that the textures are different, and lots of people (including me) have played online (including invasions/coop) with texture mods.

Deadbeat

Banned
hey dont blame gfwl blame that douch bag Durante.
THATS RIGHT DURANTE YOU SELFISH FUCK THANKS A LOT
you didnt even make the 60fps mod right? lol internet. There was ample warnings about everything used
I'd like to see some actual evidence of a ban on an account instead of just some random guy on gamefaqs saying his pal was banned.
First we blame the creators of these mods, then we actually find out if its true.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
As would I, but as of right now it's good to stay cautious regardless. Especially considering the already unpredictable nature of GFWL.

Oh yeah, absolutely. But I mean it's always been warned that the risk of ban was there so why people are blaming durante (lol) or anyone other than themselves is just hilarious.

dsk1210

They ban 60fps-users but not cheaters? Yeah, GFWL is bad, but could it be that bad?

I call bullshit.

I have been fine.

We know there is a risk of this at the same time though, nobody but ourselves to blame if we do get banned, but I am more than willing to take the risk and thanks durante and the other boy for all they have done to improve the IQ of the best game this generation, well except maybe Mario Galaxy 2.

:)

ImRight

I find it kinda hard to believe that 1 person has been banned out of everyone that has used the 60fps Mod, and just after a couple hours....

I myself have been on for at Least 7-10 hours since using this.......

Hardly a credible source seeing as how its not even him its a friend.......guy was probably hacking as well as having the mod/mod's and is trying to plead innocent... i dunno

not enough to scare me out of 60fps....

pa22word

They ban 60fps-users but not cheaters? Yeah, GFWL is bad, but could it be that bad?

As a poster in the topic I posted pointed out, I'm assuming the trainers don't actually alter what GFWL detects as ban worthy when they make their sweeps. The 60FPS fix (as I understand it) specifically disables certain protection features Microsoft codes in to try and prevent altering of the game data.

While yes it's shitty MS is too lazy to actually sift through and see that one doesn't actually impact anything while the other is much more heinous, I imagine detecting who is and isn't disabling the GFWL protection is much easier and therefore much more likely to end in a ban for the user.

Top Bottom