• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

LiK

I got frame drops in certain parts of Blighttown and New Londo. Kinda annoying. Dropped SMAA down to 3 and then 2. Still getting some drops. Sad that my 570 can't handle it. Might go 1 tonight and see if it's better. Rather have it less pretty than being choppy.

ACE 1991

Game only works at 30 or 60, if ur PC can't handle 60 it'll just stay at 30.

Try looking at a wall/ground/sky and see if it changes.

I've tested this, and it doesn't running at 1080p. I'm running a 1GB 6950 and an I5 2500K at 4.0ghz, so I should definitely be able to run it, no?

Thrakier

I've tested this, and it doesn't running at 1080p. I'm running a 1GB 6950 and an I5 2500K at 4.0ghz, so I should definitely be able to run it, no?

The .ini file fix didn't work for me too, the original one did. In any case, it's not worth it. The 60FPS are far too unstable to be considered "playable". The drops from 60 to 30 are so jarring.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah, personally playing with the original 60fps mod and DSfix 1.1 seemed to make the game a lot more stable than with the latest DSfix. I think I'm going to roll back.

The fight with the centipede demon I was consistently getting 7fps, which shouldn't be happening on a GTX570 with a i5 cpu. Game was only rendering 1080, dof 540, and smaa at 1.

Hzoltan69

In other games I only get bad performance when my system (either GPU or CPU) runs at 100% percent. Here, I get bad performance even though the system is not stressed at all. This is what I don't understand...

I assumed that was Live struggling to make the connection.

Anyway, hit the Demon Ruins a few days ago and holy frame drops batman. It's the only area of the game I've had lower than 30 on PC, and for no good reason! Madness.

happened sometimes on PS3 also, yeah it's just a failed invasion attempt.

CatPee

In other games I only get bad performance when my system (either GPU or CPU) runs at 100% percent. Here, I get bad performance even though the system is not stressed at all. This is what I don't understand...

Your components hardly being used is the problem. Switch off any power-saving functions on your CPU and GPU.

ImRight

.....apparently the game is badly optimized and does not make use of your systems full capacity......

it irritates me as well..... i wish they would take a look at what is going on and put a bit more effort into fixing it with an official patch....... considering after these fixes/mods came out there sales probably sky rocketed

Or at the very least acknowledge everything that's going on and say they will consider a patch......(even if they wont >.<)

Varna

.....apparently the game is badly optimized and does not make use of your systems full capacity......

it irritates me as well..... i wish they would take a look at what is going on and put a bit more effort into fixing it with an official patch....... considering after these fixes/mods came out there sales probably sky rocketed

Or at the very least acknowledge everything that's going on and say they will consider a patch......(even if they wont >.<)

At this point they are probably too humiliated and embarrassed to say anything. With out access to anything special Durante was able to do what they supposedly couldn't.... or they just don't give a fuck, they got our money already after all.

ImRight

At this point they are probably too humiliated and embarrassed to say anything. With out access to anything special Durante was able to do what they supposedly couldn't.... or they just don't give a fuck, they got our money already after all.

If this is the case its a pretty poor attitude, i mean..... i would have to seriously think twice about buying Dark souls 2 even if it is done right and improves greatly on the basic game play of this game which is quite easily in my top10 of all time (if i actually kept one).

and that kinda annoys me that the pride of these guys would stop them from even apologizing for or acknowledging the problems and putting a small team..... (HELL one guy even) to work on it......... shit i mean...... they should just release the fucking source so Durante/whoever else wants a go can have a look and see what can be done..... .... anyway...ill end rant right here.........

Gvaz

Banned
Japan doesn't really support their games after release, except for dlcs.

FROM ported it, but Namco Bandai did all the publishing. I'm 100% sure that FROM either doesn't know, or doesn't give a shit.

Namco Bandai isn't going to say anything because they're all cocksuckers who never give a shit about consumers.

CatPee

They are all switched off. I don't have this problem in any other game.

Make sure to go into the profile for Dark Souls' DATA.exe and check that the power usage is set to something like "Prefer High Performance" or something like that instead of adaptive.

Could someone please PM me with dsfix 0.9? That was the last version I used before switching to 1.5.. my performance has halved since the upgrade so I'd like to downgrade.

I keep getting 15 fps as soon as I turn on SSAO at downsampled resolutions. It's really annoying since I've seen others doing it with no issue. Even at 3840x2160 it stays at 15 fps. No matter what I change, as soon as SSAO goes on, the fps drops like a brick.

My specs are:

i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz (default)
Evga Gtx 580 SC
4 gigs of Ram
Running at 2650x1440 native

Any help would be appreciated!

Durante

I just released version 1.6.

Changelog:
- Option to unlock the framerate. Thanks to the hard work of Clément Barnier, the framerate can now be unlocked completely.
This means that if your system can&#8217;t maintain 60 FPS, it will drop down gracefully to 55 instead of going directly to 30. There are some issues with this, look into the .ini files for details.
- Fixed the SMAA issue introduced in 1.5 (with edges touching the skybox)
- Fixed the major HUD modification issues with damage numbers and subtitles (other HUD issues remain, including boss health bars)
- Various small performance tweaks

On my PC, I now get between 56 and 60 FPS in the Firelink Shrine, at 2560×1440 with SMAA 4, SSAO 2, 1080p DoF and DoF blur 1. Note that you need to play in windowed mode (or borderless windowed fullscreen mode) or use some third party solution if you want Vsync with an unlocked framerate.

I now actually consider the FPS fix worth using. It sucks not being able to slide down ladders safely, but it's still a good trade-off.

Datschge

That's a great update!

Anyone willing to check if there's any high value for FPSlimit above 30 that doesn't yet lead to collision detection issues?

Thanks for 1.6 man. Unlocked framerate is good news.
I've checked DSfixKeys.ini but is there maybe a way to reload modded textures in-game with a key press?

Durante

Thanks for 1.6 man. Unlocked framerate is good news.
I've checked DSfixKeys.ini but is there maybe a way to reload modded textures in-game with a key press?
No such option yet, but now that you mentioned it I see how it would be very useful for people in the process of creating more involved texture mods. Sadly, it's not trivial to implement. I'll see what I can do for the next version.

Durante

So, that was stupid, so here's 1.6.1.

I just went through all of Blighttown, 2560x1440, SMAA 3, SSAO 2, DoF 1080 + 1 blur, minimalistic HUD enabled.
Highest FPS was 66, lowest 38, average probably around 47. It was pretty damn awesome. It's like a PC game!

66jbbjg.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
I just released version 1.6.

Changelog:
- Option to unlock the framerate. Thanks to the hard work of Clément Barnier, the framerate can now be unlocked completely.
This means that if your system can&#8217;t maintain 60 FPS, it will drop down gracefully to 55 instead of going directly to 30. There are some issues with this, look into the .ini files for details.
- Fixed the SMAA issue introduced in 1.5 (with edges touching the skybox)
- Fixed the major HUD modification issues with damage numbers and subtitles (other HUD issues remain, including boss health bars)
- Various small performance tweaks

On my PC, I now get between 56 and 60 FPS in the Firelink Shrine, at 2560×1440 with SMAA 4, SSAO 2, 1080p DoF and DoF blur 1. Note that you need to play in windowed mode (or borderless windowed fullscreen mode) or use some third party solution if you want Vsync with an unlocked framerate.

I now actually consider the FPS fix worth using. It sucks not being able to slide down ladders safely, but it's still a good trade-off.

Keep in mind that Windowed Mode doesn't allow for supersampling, so you need to choose between supersampling and 60fps.

(at least it didn't in 1.5...haven't tried the new patch yet)

Durante

Keep in mind that Windowed Mode doesn't allow for supersampling, so you need to choose between supersampling and 60fps.

(at least it didn't in 1.5...haven't tried the new patch yet)
Hmm, 2 points:
- If it's true that windowed mode doesn't work with supersampling, then that is a bug and needs to be fixed! I'll look into it before the next major release.
- You can still use all of supersampling and 60 FPS and Vsync by either (a) using fullscreen mode with a larger resolution than your monitor supports ("traditional" driver downsampling) or (b) using something like D3Doverrider to force triple buffering

So with that ladder comment I take it that some of the in game calculations are tied to fixed frame rate? Has any problems come up other than ladder sliding? Collision problems?

Durante

So with that ladder comment I take it that some of the in game calculations are tied to fixed frame rate? Has any problems come up other than ladder sliding? Collision problems?
I feel like some physically simulated stuff (ragdolls, destroyed barrel fragments) is slightly more "energetic" than before, but that's not really an issue. With framerates in excess of 70 FPS or so, the speed of walking up/down slopes and some other things are off, that's why the .ini says you should stick with 60.

But the ladder sliding is the only one that impacts gameplay at 60 FPS, at least from what I've noticed in ~2 hours of playing.

Haunted

I'd love to read an Interview with From designers and artists and what they think about this, what were their reactions, have they seen this (if not, show it to them) etc etc.

I really feel like this could be an interesting story for an actual journalist.

So, that was stupid, so here's 1.6.1.

I just went through all of Blighttown, 2560x1440, SMAA 3, SSAO 2, DoF 1080 + 1 blur, minimalistic HUD enabled.
Highest FPS was 66, lowest 38, average probably around 47. It was pretty damn awesome. It's like a PC game!
Excellent stuff. You've secured your place in gaming history with this, Durante. :D

No such option yet, but now that you mentioned it I see how it would be very useful for people in the process of creating more involved texture mods. Sadly, it's not trivial to implement. I'll see what I can do for the next version.

Thanks for considering it!
I feel like some physically simulated stuff (ragdolls, destroyed barrel fragments) is slightly more "energetic" than before, but that's not really an issue. With framerates in excess of 70 FPS or so, the speed of walking up/down slopes and some other things are off, that's why the .ini says you should stick with 60.

But the ladder sliding is the only one that impacts gameplay at 60 FPS, at least from what I've noticed in ~2 hours of playing.

The dragons also don't spew any purple goo.

scitek

Durante, Mr. Barnier and yourself deserve a ton of credit for your work. It's absolutely incredible at this point. Thanks for it all.

So I finally tried adding the 60 FPS fix and GODDAMN. I don't know if I want to keep playing at 30 FPS anymore :( Though I'll have to play more to make a good judgement on it. I think I was seeing some screen tearing so I'll have to enable vsync, but when I first loaded up the game in Anor Londo at 60 FPS I was giddy.

When the 60 FPS thing was first released there was some talk about old savefiles not working anymore. Is that still true, or do I just enable it and continue with my old one?

Are you all playing online with this or did you make an offline profile?

Sullichin

When the 60 FPS thing was first released there was some talk about old savefiles not working anymore. Is that still true, or do I just enable it and continue with my old one?

Are you all playing online with this or did you make an offline profile?

you can use your online save file

Hm, with unlockFPS set to 1 and FPSLimit set to 60, my framerate actually goes above 60fps. This wouldn't be a problem except it tends to go to a few fps above 60 and then drops to 45 or so. It's pretty jarring. The intro/menus apparently are running at 120+fps but that's not a problem. I also get bad screen tearing but I haven't looked into solving that with windowed mode/vsync yet.

Durante

Yeah, the current FPS limiter isn't very good. I'll improve that in the next release. Its main purpose for now is to prevent frame rates from going up to 80+, which would introduce various issues.

Durante

Does the GFWL ban possibility still exist, Durante?

Edit: If I unlock the framerate and set the limit at 60fps I mean.
The possibility will always exist -- what the mod is doing is technically against the ToS. To get some perspective, I have had just a single report of a ban, with no followup or confirmation.

I played for a few minutes without the FPS lock, used my savegame in the Depths just a bit before entering Blight-town. I only got 32-37 FPS compared to the usual 30, but even at 32 FPS the difference was obvious, at least for me. However I went down to 15 FPS for 2 seconds when I backstabbed an enemy, and again for about 5 seconds when I rested at a bonfire.

For me, 2-7 FPS are not worth risking a ban (or at least feeling that the possibility exists), so I turned the FPS lock on again, but for people who have strong PCs and can handle it, I guess it's worth it. It's nice to know we also have this option too, will probably use it when I build my next computer.

teokrazia

Running the game at the actual frame rate that my PC can handle instead of be randomly stuck to 30 or even 15 FPS feels like returning to breath fresh air after a forced underwater permanence. Thank you once more, Durante.

Durante you just made this, finally, an Official PC GAME!

Man, the framerate unlock is just outstanding! It feels like a totally new game, and the performance is superb!

It just feel the way its supposed to feel and it controls perfectly!

KUDOS Dude! You rock! I hope From Software credits you somehow for your enormous effort!

scitek

I dropped my settings to
1080 internal res
810 DOF with blur at 1
SMAA 4
SSAO 2

and am forcing 4xMSAA through Inspector and keep 60fps a good deal of the time with drops to the high 40s in Blighttown when the draw distance is high. SO much better with the framerate gradually dropping like it does now. Of course, the game doesn't look as cinematic now.

Top Bottom