• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Durante

I just released 1.7

Changes:
- Re-implemented the FPS limiter. It’s quite exact now and also performed at a better point in time (before presenting the frame)
- Made frame period calculation (for animation) slightly more exact
- Added FPS thresholding for SMAA. What this means is that you can supply a value – say 45 FPS – and if the game is in danger of dropping below that, SMAA will be disabled. It will be re-enabled once the framerate is safely above the threshold again.

I hope to expand the thresholding in the future, ideally rendering particle effects at lower resolution if required to keep up the framerate.

That's probably it for this week in terms of releases!

Durante

Does it help with performance though? I don't think the drops are related to SMAA.
Now that the framerate is unlocked it's quite simple to measure such things. On my system/config, ultra SMAA reduced FPS by about 5-8 at 40. Not a massive amount, but not negligible either.

I just released 1.7

Changes:
- Re-implemented the FPS limiter. It’s quite exact now and also performed at a better point in time (before presenting the frame)
- Made frame period calculation (for animation) slightly more exact
- Added FPS thresholding for SMAA. What this means is that you can supply a value – say 45 FPS – and if the game is in danger of dropping below that, SMAA will be disabled. It will be re-enabled once the framerate is safely above the threshold again.

I hope to expand the thresholding in the future, ideally rendering particle effects at lower resolution if required to keep up the framerate.

That's probably it for this week in terms of releases!

This is amazing. I'm gonna have to upgrade again but I'm not complaining :)

Best member of the forum confirmed.

Thrakier

Well it's so weird, the 60FPS fix still does nothing for me. I change the numbers but the framerate stays at 30. It's working with the GFWL fix though. Maybe it's because I'm forcing vsync via the driver? I don't know. Just doesn't work.

Sullichin

1.7 works great for me, fps goes between 45 and 60 but for some reason doesn't feel as jarring as before. Maybe I'm just more used to it now. 2540x1440 scaled to 1080p with 45-60fps... so good. so good. Even when it drops down to the 30s it feels smoother than when I was previously messing with the patch, not sure why.

You mention that it is possible to lower the resolution of particle effects only? Maybe you should put that in there as a feature (to lower the resolution of all particle effects, all the time) - given that I think that is what causes most peoples computers to choke isn't it?

You mention that it is possible to lower the resolution of particle effects only? Maybe you should put that in there as a feature (to lower the resolution of all particle effects, all the time) - given that I think that is what causes most peoples computers to choke isn't it?

It's the only reason for any slowdowns I get.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind low res particle effects if it meant maintaining a solid 60 FPS through the entire game.

Maaaaaaan Dark Souls is a lot more fun to play without the worry of the game dipping to 15 fps.

I love it when mod communities gradually improve PC games. It's beautiful!

Also, for those of you wondering, D3DOverrider works fine alongside the uncapped framerate.

Haunted

I haven't been following this for a little while. Where are we at now in terms of framerate and being able to log in?
Unlocked. 60fps works, no more limiting or forced dips to 15/30, what your machine can do, you'll get.

You can log in with GFWL just fine even if there's a disclaimer for no guarantees being made in the readme etc etc.

Sullichin

I am so used to playing this at 30fps and sub-30fps that 40-60fps feels weird. It's objectively better, of course, and I can't even really articulate why it feels so strange...

Haunted

I am so used to playing this at 30fps and sub-30fps that 40-60fps feels weird. It's objectively better, of course, and I can't even really articulate why it feels so strange...
It's definitely a different feel.

Took me about 2 minutes to acclimatise and now I just can not go back. Camera movement, so smooth.

Sullichin

It's definitely a different feel.

Took me about 2 minutes to acclimatise and now I just can not go back. Camera movement, so smooth.
The best thing about it is that there's no more drops to 15fps or any sub-30 drops whatsoever. Now when it's slow it's 30fps, which used to be the baseline. Oh, I'm also running it at the same downsampled resolution as before (2560x1440->1080p) so I'm not even sacrificing image quality (in fact my card still seems to use low power mode if I just set 1080p as the resolution). So cool - although I haven't been to the most troublesome area, chasm of the abyss, yet. I wish I hadn't just beaten Sif because that would have been a good test too.

Any way to go about enabling v-sync on a radeon card with this game? Haven't looked into it

Gvaz

Banned
Now that the framerate is unlocked it's quite simple to measure such things. On my system/config, ultra SMAA reduced FPS by about 5-8 at 40. Not a massive amount, but not negligible either.
On worse systems, having any ssma on at all would rape my fps by a lot

Hylian7

Holy fuck I just tried this with the FPS unlocked! Goddamn Durante, good job with this!

Now the only problem with this version is the DRM/Online play being GFWL and Steamworks, which is understandably something that can't be fixed.

Aon

Super cool @ 60, although I'm getting a lot of screen tearing now. Should I be forcing Vsync through Catalyst?

Alastor

I went form DSfix 0.8 (I think) to the newest version and this happened:

2c4R4.png

MvH8N.png

It's not with all monsters, but when it happens, it won't go away. any suggestions?

Thrakier

It's working now, seems like DSFix doesn't like forced vsync via Inspector. I can even keep steady 60FPS now on Darkroot Basin besides some particle effects! Hell yeah.

Downside though is that I get a lot of tearing now. :(

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
It's working now, seems like DSFix doesn't like forced vsync via Inspector. I can even keep steady 60FPS now on Darkroot Basin besides some particle effects! Hell yeah.

Downside though is that I get a lot of tearing now. :(

Use D3Doverrider. Removed the tearing for me running fullscreen.

luiztfc

Does anyone have a download link for d3doverrider? I can only find old links and I don't know if it has been updated since then. Thanks

Thrakier

I think the 60FPS fix is messing with the gameplay a bit. :( I wasnt able to make the jump to get to the ravens nest at firelink shrine with 60FPS enabled. I did it once but that was luck. At 30FPS I can do it every time. Also on the path to that spot I was blocked sometimes by collision problems on steps etc. :(

Alastor

It looks like your GPU is overheating. Are you overclocking / what are your temperatures?

I minimized DS, opened GPU Temp and it's showing 39C, so it's normal (I think). I'm not overclocking, and I have R6850 and i3 2100.

I encountered this glitch around two hours ago and it hasn't happened since (I'm in Anor Londo now).

McHuj

Wow. Playing this at 60 fps is a whole new experience.

I mess around a bit with it last night on the Gwyn fight. I think 60fps made that fight alot easier for me since his sword strikes are a lot more fluid (if that makes sense), the timing is a lot easier to parry his blows.

I think this calls for a thread title change. this new updates is HUGE.

It seems I am getting rock solid 60 fps @1080p now. I will check now if I can still supersample a bit.

How to get rid of tearing: Enable borderless fulscreen mode in the .ini, then enable windowed mode in game. Done.

antitrop

Wow. Playing this at 60 fps is a whole new experience.

I mess around a bit with it last night on the Gwyn fight. I think 60fps made that fight alot easier for me since his sword strikes are a lot more fluid (if that makes sense), the timing is a lot easier to parry his blows.
60fps absolutely makes the Gwyn fight easier. Noticeably.

Top Bottom